Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'm now doing my favorite Queek campaign.

On turn 3, after I recruited enough units I sailed west to Lustria and started conquering all that desert to the south of Skrolk, and started wars against the Citadel of Dusk/Teclis. It's a bunch of empty land every game, and you can easily get there before Skrolk has a chance to do anything. I then declared war on Skrolk and took him over, because gently caress Skrolk, ratmen don't work together VORTEX VICTORY IS QUEEK VICTORY.

All the lizards I fight here are normal and NOT loving KROQGAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Plavski posted:

That big empty space where Kislev should go... :allears:

yah kislev is already there

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Third World Reggin posted:

yah kislev is already there

as a playable faction ofc

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
And the norse, later.

I appreciate the big empty field but with the intentional inclusion that makes it really obvious Araby and the Tomb Kings are gonna be in.

No western beastmen start tho

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Comstar posted:

How is an Empire army going to last vs the 4 new ones? Everything seems outclassed at low-med-high tier in the Imperial army. You're out shot by Delves and Helves, out artilleried and out-steamtanked by Skaven and you're infantry won't cope with Lizards.

Empire vs. Skaven, analysis by PartyElite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVhJAtE8w4w

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

And the norse, later.

I appreciate the big empty field but with the intentional inclusion that makes it really obvious Araby and the Tomb Kings are gonna be in.

I don't think there are any notable beastmen lords in the lore who have a western origin.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I notice on that map the norse factions are still missing as playable, did CA mention how long it might take to update norse to warhammer 2?

I imagine the delay is mostly setting up the quest markers for the many many hunt quests and maybe adding a dinosaur and hydra hunt and adding a new world capital tech tree for bonuses on the other continent.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Gamerofthegame posted:

And the norse, later.

I would love a new beastmen start in Lustria or Naggarond. What all beastmen named lords are still free to be used, just the Brass Bull?

I would also love to see some new empire starts and LLs. Add Markus Wulfheart to Talabheim or up along the northern coast bordering the Norse, make him a ranged LL and give him his crazy anti-large bow so he can snipe monsters and his huntsmen archer unit that aren't as effective as crossbows at general purpose shooting in exchange for megafucking large enemies. Add Elspeth Von Draken over to Ostland right between Kislev and VC, a lord that knows Death magic would certainly be unique for Empire considering they don't have death wizards in game at the moment, and she gets to ride around on a purple death magic infused dragon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what QOL features are there in this game that improve upon WH1? Is the combat feedback better? Warhammer 1 was big on spectacle but I felt like the actual melee was a bit floaty and not as crunchy as Medieval 2 or as slicey as Shogun 2.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I notice on that map the norse factions are still missing as playable, did CA mention how long it might take to update norse to warhammer 2?

I imagine the delay is mostly setting up the quest markers for the many many hunt quests and maybe adding a dinosaur and hydra hunt and adding a new world capital tech tree for bonuses on the other continent.

The delay is because the Norsca team are different to the ME one. By the time Norsca shipped, ME was too far along to incorporate them without missing their targets. When ME ships, they'll look at bringing it in, but no ETA was given other than "soon".

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what QOL features are there in this game that improve upon WH1? Is the combat feedback better? Warhammer 1 was big on spectacle but I felt like the actual melee was a bit floaty and not as crunchy as Medieval 2 or as slicey as Shogun 2.

It's about the same, with a bit flashier animations. I thought they did a pretty good job of it here and in WH1 though. Certainly much, much better than Rome 2/Empire era games.

Best QOL improvement is absolutely the bar that shows you what % of your army's movement you'll use when moving somewhere.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I think I'll skip ME until Norsca is in, just because I can't be bothered fighting the repetitive Norscan stacks anymore.

Valiantman posted:

Empire vs. Skaven, analysis by PartyElite

If it's not on standard settings (large funds, etc) then I don't think it's very useful, since the MP meta revolves around the best army comps vs factions for the funds setting. On ultra funds with a 20-unit limit, Skaven are much less likely to severely outnumber the opponent and the Empire's ranged units will perform much better from the additional weight of focus-firing + a beefier front line to let them do it for longer, whereas Skaven don't have traditional missile unit to trade shots with them. So ultra funds it a totally different meta.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Never before have I seen a weirder take of ME2 having more mechanics to it's combat then Hams.

Still, a lot of battle stuff, yeah. Everything from 2 except for Rites for the old factions are going to be in, you should know. You need WH1 and 2 to do ME.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mukip posted:

I think I'll skip ME until Norsca is in, just because I can't be bothered fighting the repetitive Norscan stacks anymore.

If it's not on standard settings (large funds, etc) then I don't think it's very useful, since the MP meta revolves around the best army comps vs factions for the funds setting. On ultra funds with a 20-unit limit, Skaven are much less likely to severely outnumber the opponent and the Empire's ranged units will perform much better from the additional weight of focus-firing + a beefier front line to let them do it for longer, whereas Skaven don't have traditional missile unit to trade shots with them. So ultra funds it a totally different meta.

Eh, the nice thing about ME is that you can play a race that's far enough away from the north that you don't have to really deal with it.

Or you start as Druthu and boat your happy rear end up there to stomp all horse marauders out with overwhelming archer fire and wild riders and not have to worry about raider stacks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gamerofthegame posted:

Never before have I seen a weirder take of ME2 having more mechanics to it's combat then Hams.

I didn't say it was mechanically better. The unit pathfinding in me2 drives me up the wall. My point was that actual melee has a level of brutality in ME2 that wasn't as well done for me in hams. It's the sound design really. The impact and death sounds in medieval are so good and cavalry charges are wonderful. Hams cavalry charges are good too but I prefer a front line evaporating under hooves to the front line flying twenty feet in the air.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Another question I'm going to keep asking anywhere I can until I get an answer: What's a "Mlexigaur"?

it is either an extremely silly british people injoke, or

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rookersh posted:

I'm now doing my favorite Queek campaign.

On turn 3, after I recruited enough units I sailed west to Lustria and started conquering all that desert to the south of Skrolk, and started wars against the Citadel of Dusk/Teclis. It's a bunch of empty land every game, and you can easily get there before Skrolk has a chance to do anything. I then declared war on Skrolk and took him over, because gently caress Skrolk, ratmen don't work together VORTEX VICTORY IS QUEEK VICTORY.

All the lizards I fight here are normal and NOT loving KROQGAR.

...well, that's my ratmen playthrough gimmick established
gently caress to pestilens, Clan Mors superior

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

I’m applying for dual citizenship with the Orangutan Surfing Civilization

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Jum-Jum posted:

Less water is better considering naval combat is just autoresolve anyway. And to be fair I don't feel like I am missing out on that much, you want all the different factions brawling on each other asap.

That being said, where the hell am I going to go as Teclis? I don't wanna stay in Lustria and fight Skrolk. I don't wanna fight my bloodlusted brother. Can't settle in Southlands that is way too costly. So probably invade Estalia? Going to have to keep an army at my capital because fml can't move capitals for trade routes.

I'm pretty sure you can deliberately lose your starting capital and the game will count one of your new Estalian conquests as a new capital for trade purposes. Could be wrong though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Played a decent amount last night. Complete change from before after watching tactic videos at work and reading some of the thread. Lost some battles against chaos because I didn't have nearly enough armor piercing to make it work but I learned my lesson. I think.

I've got Tyrion to united Ulthuan and confederate with Teclis and am using any extra influence to make Nagarond and whatever other group of Dark Elves next to them hate eachother in hopes they busy themselves there while I clear out those goddamn pirates and chaos raiders to the east and south.

This game is too much goddamn fun. I'm talking "Cancel plans with friends this weekend" fun.

E: When you open a front and start trying to take down a rival nation, it's best to send two armies, isn't it? A battle where I got reserves coming in off the board (didn't even know you could do that!) was insanely easy for a change.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Ze Pollack posted:

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Motherfuckers didn't put Ungrim in Karak Kadrin

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've head good things about the Kanga Rat Murder society faction! :thumbsup:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Into the book of grudges they go

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Karak Kadrin seems like a kinda lovely start location. Very little room to expand.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I would've had Ungrim in Karak Kadrin and modify the unique building to let you get Slayers earlier and not need a forge. Combined with the reduced cost and buffs from Ungrim you can have much more Slayers in your army.

For variety, put Grombrindal in Karak Azul (or hell, Karak Zorn). He's already insanely good, so it would be more interesting to have him in a unique region where you need to press his advantages.

Also Boris Toddbringer exists, but I don't think he gets any particularly unique skills. It would be cool to have a playable Middeheim faction with him and give him anti horde mechanic/beastmen skills (increased beast path interception, reduced horde growth, leadership and combat bonuses vs beastmen, etc).

Vargs posted:

Karak Kadrin seems like a kinda lovely start location. Very little room to expand.

What? You have Mt Gunbad to the south and the northernmost provinces. And now you can also settle anywhere.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

What? You have Mt Gunbad to the south and the northernmost provinces. And now you can also settle anywhere.

There are very few settlements to the north, and very few before you hit the main Dwarf faction to the south that cuts you off from everything else. You can settle anywhere now, but do you really want to have the majority of your empire in unsuitable climate Vamp/Empire lands?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Did not know they released any maps of the new Warhammer setting.

Vargs posted:

There are very few settlements to the north, and very few before you hit the main Dwarf faction to the south that cuts you off from everything else. You can settle anywhere now, but do you really want to have the majority of your empire in unsuitable climate Vamp/Empire lands?

There is an entire island of elves to slaughter right there, why do you need to fight anyone else?

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 20, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

Played a decent amount last night. Complete change from before after watching tactic videos at work and reading some of the thread. Lost some battles against chaos because I didn't have nearly enough armor piercing to make it work but I learned my lesson. I think.

I've got Tyrion to united Ulthuan and confederate with Teclis and am using any extra influence to make Nagarond and whatever other group of Dark Elves next to them hate eachother in hopes they busy themselves there while I clear out those goddamn pirates and chaos raiders to the east and south.

This game is too much goddamn fun. I'm talking "Cancel plans with friends this weekend" fun.

E: When you open a front and start trying to take down a rival nation, it's best to send two armies, isn't it? A battle where I got reserves coming in off the board (didn't even know you could do that!) was insanely easy for a change.

yeah, as rats that's basically the only way you can stand up to other factions before you get artillery

after you get artillery suddenly the game becomes "can they kill all my rats before they are all plagueclaw catapulted to death"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rincewinds posted:

Did not know they released any maps of the new Warhammer setting.

i would play KAMANDI Total War so loving hard you have no idea

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Vargs posted:

Eh, there's two provinces up there, you can confederate with Zhufbar to the South, and Kislev is up to you. It's true that corruption will be an issue, but I'd look forward to fighting vampires and Norsca instead of just greenskins.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Panfilo posted:

I would've had Ungrim in Karak Kadrin and modify the unique building to let you get Slayers earlier and not need a forge. Combined with the reduced cost and buffs from Ungrim you can have much more Slayers in your army.

For variety, put Grombrindal in Karak Azul (or hell, Karak Zorn). He's already insanely good, so it would be more interesting to have him in a unique region where you need to press his advantages.

Also Boris Toddbringer exists, but I don't think he gets any particularly unique skills. It would be cool to have a playable Middeheim faction with him and give him anti horde mechanic/beastmen skills (increased beast path interception, reduced horde growth, leadership and combat bonuses vs beastmen, etc).

The interviews about Mortal Empires stated that CA want to give the different LLs their own starting positions but that it won't be immediate. I would be extremely surprised if Ungrim didn't get shifted to Karak Kadrin when this finally happens.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

John Charity Spring posted:

The interviews about Mortal Empires stated that CA want to give the different LLs their own starting positions but that it won't be immediate. I would be extremely surprised if Ungrim didn't get shifted to Karak Kadrin when this finally happens.

They'd probably have to do some tweaks to starting buildings too. Your unique building there is normally tier 4 or 5.it would make more sense to make it a tier 2/3/4/5 progression, with the starting tier giving access to Slayers and higher tiers adding more untainted and other bonuses to the region. They also get a brewery there which helps. It'll certainly be harder than Silver Road but also more unique.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Panfilo posted:

They'd probably have to do some tweaks to starting buildings too. Your unique building there is normally tier 4 or 5.it would make more sense to make it a tier 2/3/4/5 progression, with the starting tier giving access to Slayers and higher tiers adding more untainted and other bonuses to the region. They also get a brewery there which helps. It'll certainly be harder than Silver Road but also more unique.

Yeah, it'd be cool. They could do it like Skrolk's start is with having extra plague monks and start Ungrim with more than just one unit of slayers, too.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Started my first Skaven game as Skrolk and all I can say is gently caress dorfs.

Had to siege down a city the Spine of Sotek dwarves had just taken. Even with them damaged from that and me having two stacks it was a loving slog. If it wasn't for the six units of plagueclaw catapults it'd be impossible. Still ended up having to attrition them down until I could swarm the cap point for the time limit.

Like I had my censure bearers laying into a damaged unit of basic warriors, who were being flanked by more clanrats and they just wouldn't loving die or break. Even after I popped whither to remove a bunch of their armour.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

madmac posted:

I can see what they were going for with Teclis. He's basically on another island on the flip-side of Lustria, so it's almost the same position, just closer to Ulthuan.

The problem is that his starting position works mostly in the context of the Vortex Campaign, where turtling in the middle of nowhere and doing rituals is a viable path to victory. For a conquest campaign, it's pretty much purely a disadvantage, with a weak capital and no natural expansion path.

Is a weak capital a problem long term, apart from having a slower start? If I conquer/confederate Lothern later, I can treat it as my de facto capital. Do you have any disadvantages from your lovely starting island? Trade wise it shouldn't matter, since you have a port anyway. Or am I missing something?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Started my first Skaven game as Skrolk and all I can say is gently caress dorfs.

Had to siege down a city the Spine of Sotek dwarves had just taken. Even with them damaged from that and me having two stacks it was a loving slog. If it wasn't for the six units of plagueclaw catapults it'd be impossible. Still ended up having to attrition them down until I could swarm the cap point for the time limit.

Like I had my censure bearers laying into a damaged unit of basic warriors, who were being flanked by more clanrats and they just wouldn't loving die or break. Even after I popped whither to remove a bunch of their armour.

Vs dwarves in sieges you really want to rush to the town center and for there. Engage as many of their units with poison units as possible. Use menace below charges to support fighting in town square. You can also summon Rats right behind the gate and when Defenders rush forward they will accidentally open the gate and your attackers on the other side can flood in.

Death Runners are also great for sieges. They're sneaky and you can have them climb over walls on an undefended section and flank enemies.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Torrannor posted:

Is a weak capital a problem long term, apart from having a slower start? If I conquer/confederate Lothern later, I can treat it as my de facto capital. Do you have any disadvantages from your lovely starting island? Trade wise it shouldn't matter, since you have a port anyway. Or am I missing something?

It's kinda crappy since it means Teclis' capital doesn't earn him as much money as his brother's capital, but that's pretty easy to compensate for.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Teclis' start position looks like the one off-shore settlement that's part of the Vampire Coast.

Which means that on one hand, you have to deal with vampiric corruption from local population. On the other hand, it's a pretty insane money-maker province, especially for High Elves, because every settlement in the province has a port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So, the elven port settlements provide a bonus to port income. Does anyone know how much? Is it only for that province?