Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

But for my money, give me Quark Garak and Morden.

ftfy

Because, admit it, that would be amazing enough for the conversation to be the entire A plot for an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've decided to give season 1 a full rewatch and take it into context with the show, the weird rear end production cycle, JMS being JMS, and what came next. As a metric for quality/substance, are there any small/medium time sci-fi shows to compare it to besides the Treks? I remember 95/96 as the start of serial sci-fi shows on the big 4, mostly Fox, but it's not like B5 existed in a complete vacuum.

Also, watching some of the later episodes, the Ministry of Peace and Clark etc. now living in the era of Trump are no longer as fun and entertaining as they were before.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was going to say Farscape, but that was something like 5 years later and then I remembered the Muppet technology and more advanced CGI by the time it debuted, so it's not that great a comparison. But in terms of the sets and costumes and stuff it's in the same ballpark.

Also if you think the EarthGov stuff is only and suddenly applicable post 2016 then you have really not been paying attention.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 20, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Time Trax was a near contemporary.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Space: Above and Beyond was the same era.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Babylon 5 started airing about midway through the first season of seaQuest DSV

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Space: Above and Beyond is what comes to mind.

Grand Fromage posted:

Space: Above and Beyond was the same era.

drat you!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I think one of the most interesting things about Babylon 5 is the Earth Alliance and EarthGov. The twist to Clarke's autocracy really wasn't that hard to do and isn't that unexpected. It's just this weird thing in the show where everyone thinks it was great. The EA wasn't this bastion of benevolence under Santiago, Clarke just brought it all into the light.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 20, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Babylon 5's relationship with Earth is part of what keeps it grounded as something more than "humans hooray!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pick posted:

Babylon 5's relationship with Earth is part of what keeps it grounded as something more than "humans hooray!"

On the other hand, The Parliament of Dreams.

Other B5-era SF TV: Robocop, VR.5. And of course, if you want to see exactly how much Paramount stole from the B5 playbook there's Dog poo poo Nine.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
TekWar truly is America's forgotten war. :v:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, The Parliament of Dreams.

Other B5-era SF TV: Robocop, VR.5. And of course, if you want to see exactly how much Paramount stole from the B5 playbook there's Dog poo poo Nine.

DS9 vs B5 is so 90's.
Nowadays you can like both of them.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Jedit posted:

Other B5-era SF TV: Robocop, VR.5.

I remember the mid-90s seeming like there was suddenly a flood of SFTV stuff. I tried to watch it all, since up to that point I'd had: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Star Trek: TNG, and pretty much nothing else. And suddenly there was sci-fi everywhere and it all seemed new and interesting. I basically watched all of everything, even the bad stuff (which was almost all of it). A few other B5-era shows I remember:

-Earth 2 - which was super dull.
-Space Precinct - Gerry Anderson's last live-action TV series, simultaneously gritty, over-lit and silly (not in a good way). It did that thing some shows used to do where they put the lead actor's name before the title, so every episode started with "TED SHACKLEFORD", who I'm sure must have been well known in America.
-Dark Skies - some kind of UFO conspiracy thing set in the 60s, trading off the X Files popularity.
-Earth: Final Conflict - I have a lot of affection for EFC, but it's terrible.
-Andromeda - I also have a lot of affection for Andromeda, but it's also terrible.
-Team Knight Rider - ugh.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SeaQuest was my jam even if it was hokey as gently caress

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dirty posted:

-Team Knight Rider - ugh.

Sweet loving god, someone else remembers this show existed.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh yeah, Earth2. I totally forgot about that! I really, really tried to like it when it was airing.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Oh yeah, Earth2. I totally forgot about that! I really, really tried to like it when it was airing.

It had weapons-grade annoying children, if I remember correctly.

I had a friend who really got into it and declared it the most realistic space tv-show ever.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ConfusedUs posted:

seaQuest DSV season 1 is still my jam. I think that bridge set is the best ever.

Hilariously there's even Blurays of it out now, apparently it had enough money thrown at it that when they did the CGI renders, they were rendered at higher-than-standard resolution - not high-def, but still high enough to be not as terrible when blown up. And they did 35mm prints of all the episodes for international distribution, so they were able to just rescan those prints and call it good.

Like, seaQuest. Who would have ever thought that series would get a Bluray release?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Dirty posted:

-Earth: Final Conflict - I have a lot of affection for EFC, but it's terrible.

The first season was passable near-future sci-fi, with basically Roddenberry's treatment of the Vulcan's first contact with earth. Then it went... so far off the rails after that. But I still kept watching to the very strange end.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

seaQuest DSV season 1 is still my jam. I think that bridge set is the best ever.

Hilariously there's even Blurays of it out now, apparently it had enough money thrown at it that when they did the CGI renders, they were rendered at higher-than-standard resolution - not high-def, but still high enough to be not as terrible when blown up. And they did 35mm prints of all the episodes for international distribution, so they were able to just rescan those prints and call it good.

Like, seaQuest. Who would have ever thought that series would get a Bluray release?

I really liked the set design on that show, yes.

I remember growing bored of the series later in its life. It may well have been a dropoff in quality between S1 and S2. I don't remember enough details to say.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

The first season was passable near-future sci-fi, with basically Roddenberry's treatment of the Vulcan's first contact with earth. Then it went... so far off the rails after that. But I still kept watching to the very strange end.
I don't think I made it to the end, but if it ever shows up on Netflix, you can bet I'll be background-marathoning it.

ConfusedUs posted:

I remember growing bored of the series later in its life. It may well have been a dropoff in quality between S1 and S2. I don't remember enough details to say.
But then Michael Ironside showed up. Everything is better with Michael Ironside. I'm ignoring the fact it was cancelled about 10 episodes later.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Earth: Final Conflict was good in the first season, went downhill from the second and fell off a cliff in the fifth trying to chase ratings by badly aping Buffy.

The actor who played Sandoval turned up in Designated Survivor out of nowhere and made me smile

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dirty posted:

But then Michael Ironside showed up. Everything is better with Michael Ironside. I'm ignoring the fact it was cancelled about 10 episodes later.

Season 3 was more consistent than season 2, but it wasn't good. And if that final episode was any indication of where the series was going, it needed to be put down.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dirty posted:

What you're saying is that I should rewatch SeaQuest, right?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Michael Ironside is only in season 3 and it's a bad season. Watch the first season and end there.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

What you're saying is that I should rewatch SeaQuest, right?

Well, now I'm thinking of rewatching it, so definitely.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Besides some of the actors these days the only things I remember about Seaquest is that there was a dolphin and two of the later episodes, one which had terrorists or whatever blowing up gigantic global carbon dioxide scrubbers (because we killed all the plants???) and another where some guys were doing the decidedly non-sea-related activity of being commandos in a jungle. That may have been the same episode or neither being an episode of Seaquest at all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

SeaQuest was the best when it was hokey as gently caress but totally earnest near-future sea exploration fun. When they kicked the scifi into turbo overload with space aliens and psychics and poo poo it just started getting absurd. Then the third season tried remaking it into the 90s version of a serious business hard-men-making-hard-choices show but, it was the 90s version of that so it was just boring (despite perennial badass Michael Ironside anchoring the effort) and the boat sank for good.

hope and vaseline posted:

Same thing with Andromeda, it was a decent enough low-budget stab at that "Starfleet ship gets thrown into the far future where the Federation is gone and chaos reigns" idea with all the franchise serial numbers filed off, then Sorbo got increasing creative control and it morphed into Space Hercules. And both of those shows had especially terrible final seasons where they ditched nearly all remaining traces of the original premises to take complete left turns into :wtf: land.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kibayasu posted:

Besides some of the actors these days the only things I remember about Seaquest is that there was a dolphin and two of the later episodes, one which had terrorists or whatever blowing up gigantic global carbon dioxide scrubbers (because we killed all the plants???) and another where some guys were doing the decidedly non-sea-related activity of being commandos in a jungle. That may have been the same episode or neither being an episode of Seaquest at all.

The giant scrubbers being blown up was part of the second season opener. I don't remember the jungle commandos but I could totally buy that being a second or third season episode.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm kinda on a B5 kick but I don't have the time to watch it all to answer my question: what was the supposed-to-happen endgoal for the Vorlons and Shadows? Each of them inspire a bunch of lesser races, and have them goad their respective disciples into a war to see who wins (and thus is proven right)? I get it from a conceptual level ("you lost your way, you were obsessed with being proved right"), but the Shadows were actively involved in the last Shadow War, which seems like it wasn't supposed to be part of the deal.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I liked the memoirs of that kid from SeaQuest who committed suicide. He lost his virginity to one of those dolphins and talks about it at length and girth.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Did someone say "90's sci fi" shortly followed by the word "Lexx"?

No, of course not

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

The terrorists were combat replicants, who everyone hated because racism and future-Vietnam veterans. They were also capable of surviving in a lower oxygen environment than humans were, so the plan was to suffocate humanity and take over.

There was a big, mentally challenged one on the Seaquest crew too, and I don't want to think too hard about that confluence of traits right now.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
War of the Worlds had two seasons. One was really bad but the other was an awesome grimdark future where 90% of the episodes ended with someone accidentally eating their child. I'm afraid to rewatch it but I remember thinking it was amazing when I was younger.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Did someone say "90's sci fi" shortly followed by the word "Lexx"?

No, of course not

We were talking SF TV that coincided with B5. Only the original TV movies of Lexx did that, the three regular seasons came after B5 ended.

Regarding Andromeda, it's a sin how much potential was wasted there in the name of dumbing down. There's an early S1 episode where Hunt finds an old outpost inhabited by the descendants of Navy cadets who have turned their training into a religion. The cadets have weapons of mass destruction, too, and when Hunt shows up they're all "Yay, now we can restore the Commonwealth and if anyone argues we nuke the fucker!" Hunt gives them the expected "You can never build anything good with war, threats and fear" speech and takes their nukes away ... so he can rearm the Andromeda Ascendant. But all the moments like that were gradually stripped away; I stopped watching long before the end, but I understand at one point they took the arm spines off the Nietszcheans "so they wouldn't have to explain them every week".

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Same thing with Andromeda, it was a decent enough low-budget stab at that "Starfleet ship gets thrown into the far future where the Federation is gone and chaos reigns" idea with all the franchise serial numbers filed off, then Sorbo got increasing creative control and it morphed into Space Hercules. And both of those shows had especially terrible final seasons where they ditched nearly all remaining traces of the original premises to take complete left turns into :wtf: land.

I seriously forgot that Andromeda existed, but now I'm getting flashbacks to Sorbo wearing chain mail in space. The, uh, ship was cool in it at least?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shbobdb posted:

I liked the memoirs of that kid from SeaQuest who committed suicide. He lost his virginity to one of those dolphins and talks about it at length and girth.

What the gently caress

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jedit posted:

Regarding Andromeda, it's a sin how much potential was wasted there in the name of dumbing down. There's an early S1 episode where Hunt finds an old outpost inhabited by the descendants of Navy cadets who have turned their training into a religion. The cadets have weapons of mass destruction, too, and when Hunt shows up they're all "Yay, now we can restore the Commonwealth and if anyone argues we nuke the fucker!" Hunt gives them the expected "You can never build anything good with war, threats and fear" speech and takes their nukes away ... so he can rearm the Andromeda Ascendant. But all the moments like that were gradually stripped away; I stopped watching long before the end, but I understand at one point they took the arm spines off the Nietszcheans "so they wouldn't have to explain them every week".

I actually really liked that show when I was younger for pretty much all the reasons mentioned before, and that episode was pretty good for that reason.

Then... yeah, Sorbo went nuts.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I'm kinda on a B5 kick but I don't have the time to watch it all to answer my question: what was the supposed-to-happen endgoal for the Vorlons and Shadows? Each of them inspire a bunch of lesser races, and have them goad their respective disciples into a war to see who wins (and thus is proven right)? I get it from a conceptual level ("you lost your way, you were obsessed with being proved right"), but the Shadows were actively involved in the last Shadow War, which seems like it wasn't supposed to be part of the deal.

Endgoal when? Near the start of the process, when they stayed behind when the other First Ones left, or in the time of the show?

For the latter, presumably the Vorlons wanted all the races to reject the Shadows and band together in unison to destroy them, but after the Z'ha'dum Boom they decided it'd be faster to simply eliminate all the races with Shadow-taint ensuring that the survivors would reject the Shadows.

The Shadows appear to have wanted constant recurring cycles of war and conflict, without any obvious "end" state, but with the implicit assumption that the ants would never get clever enough to stop the Shadows from kicking over their anthills. It's unclear whether Justin's "do what you're told" solution to the Sheridan problem was his own or Shadow-generated, and it's unclear whether the Shadow planet-killers were deployed for any reason beyond retaliating for Vorlon planet-killing.

In theory, the original endgoal was to be mentors and teachers for the younger races, helping them to develop, presumably offering them a choice of paths between Order and Chaos, but with the somewhat secret goal of constraining them so that they choose between one or the other. See Sheridan's metaphor of the two as parents trying to force their children to choose sides. That imperative meant that neither group genuinely wanted those they nurtured to "grow up" and move out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There were also 'rules of engagement' which the Vorlons broke first by creating telepaths and altering people so they saw angels and such. It seems like the cycle was supposed to be something of a proxy war, too, hence the Shadow killing of Kosh in retaliation for the Vorlons getting involved with fleet assets. So, I guess the Shadows were okay with playing the bad guys until the Vorlons started playing to win, so to speak, which led to the Shadows getting more aggressive and responding in kind.