Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yeah, the DNA chaff grenade is pretty much everything. Using that inside of here would turn the wacky hijinx of the lube grenade into that scene from Carrie. Plus I'll say he doesn't have it on the island. A lube grenade will get you in trouble, but he'd have the ready explanation of "prank" as an explanation. A DNA chaff grenade is used to cover up criminal activities and can't be explained away so it wouldn't be here.

All right, I figured out how to do the "run". I've almost done with the rolling. Writing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:f5: Come on, Ive only got so long before Im on the road again.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

:f5: Come on, Ive only got so long before Im on the road again.

Get one of them self-driving trucks, then you can ride side-saddle while it chauffeurs you around in style, along with some 'company' in the sleeper cab. :heysexy:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

CourValant posted:

Get one of them self-driving trucks, then you can ride side-saddle while it chauffeurs you around in style, along with some 'company' in the sleeper cab. :heysexy:

Those things are a joke. It'll be a decade or more before any company is willing to take on the risk.

Although my sleeper is awfully empty. :fap:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Although my sleeper is awfully empty. :fap:

I still recall fondly the 'Trucking Hell' Episode of Top Gear:

https://www.topgear.com/show/series-12/episode-1

Clarkson has some sage advice.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fuzzy, Julie and Sasha - Wednesday October 31st - Evening - Blake Island

It was decided that the girls would exclude Kenji from any knowledge of what they were going to do. He couldn't lie after all and he'd be one of the prime suspects. The less he knew the better. All he'd done was provide them with a single tool and thought. He could dodge more pointed questions if he didn't know anything.

"I think we need a strategy," said Julie.

"Yeah," said Sasha. "We should talk somewhere more private.

"How about your cabin?" asked Fuzzy. "You're on the sophomore cabin row same as Christina. We could look around from your place."

Fuzzy pocketed the lube grenade in her devil rat coat. It was getting cold enough that school uniforms now came with long sleeves and pants, but coats were up to the individual. This was a mixed blessing for the girls. Fuzzy got to wear her favorite coat but Julie either went without or had to wear her second hand coat which either left her cold or displayed her poverty.

"It's a little messy," said Sasha, nervously.

"I lived in the barrens for most of my life. Messy doesn't bother me," said Fuzzy.

"I'm just looking to get some payback. If you're in I'm good with all the mess you want," said Julie.

Fuzzy, Julie and Sasha - Wednesday October 31st - Evening - Blake Island, Sasha's cabin

Sasha's cabin wasn't as messy as she said, but she still fretted about it anyway as she pulled what little clothing she had off the floor, stuffed it in a hamper and moved said hamper to the bathroom. Fuzzy and Julie waited outside for a full two minutes not really doing much of anything. Instead they both cast looks about to find Christina's cabin. Neither of them knew which one it was and this row sported a full thirty. All of the cabins had green space at their backs but little space between with a dirt road between them. It was just enough to have some privacy from other grades, but there was less than two meters between each cabin. After all Blake Island was still pretty small and all this student lodging took up a lot of space. That meant that the lodgings were pretty small and tightly packed.

"All right, you can both come in," said Sasha as she opened the door.

Neither Fuzzy nor Julie had actually been in Sasha's cabin before. Fuzzy walked Sasha here a number of times as Sasha had done with her to her own cabin, but it was strange to think of Sasha as having another "room". Unlike her room at the Ares Macrotechnology arcology this was played up not for comfort, but for taste. There was a black, plush leather couch, real leather, not synth, a state of the art trideo tank, coffee table, mini fridge and microwave. However the mini fridge and microwave were hidden in other objects that looked like a fancy looking cabinet, but wasn't. Her bed was in the corner, currently pulled up into the wall in order to allow for more space in the otherwise tiny cabin. Unlike her home there weren't really any objects of sentimentality. No pictures. No art. Nothing.

"So this is how the other half lives," said Julie. "Everything looks new."

"It is new. I barely use it. It's here in case company comes by so I can impress them and represent Ares and my family," said Sasha, dubiously. "So of course no one really gets to sit down on anything. It's all for show. It's silly because I don't really entertain guests. I'm not all that popular."

"Well I like you," said Julie. "Maybe have me over sometime. I'll sit all over everything."

The girls had a laugh. Fuzzy in her normal style didn't say what she felt. She just squeezed Sasha's hand and smiled at her. The girls sat on the couch. The leather creaked underneath their weight.

"So operation lube grenade. How are we doing it?" asked Julie.

"Is that what we're calling it?" asked Sasha.

Sasha felt a sudden guilty thrill. This meant breaking the rules, but it also meant getting back at Christina for hurting her friends. Kenji too. He sort of counted even if she wasn't sure how she felt about him being Edward yet. Also staring at her and thinking perverted thoughts. Julie's eyes were bright with thoughts of revenge though. Fuzzy looked relaxed though Sasha noted it was the relaxation of something like a big cat which both intrigued and slightly unnerved her. On a whim Sasha pulled up a sketch pad app on her commlink, shared it with Fuzzy and Julie and began to draw a three dimensional map in the air with her finger and used an AR wooden painter's palette to switch colors. Fuzzy watched with her goggles while Julie watched with her glasses and the sketch pad map was drawn to life in front of them displayed by their eyewear.

"Yep. Operation lube grenade is a go. So all the cabins are in rows. Freshman, sophomore, junior and senior all in a row. Fourteen on each side of a lane with two at the end. The line of sight between years is poor due to the trees, but you can see if you're in the right spot. Christina's cabin is over here."

She drew a few lines and some boxes in the air with her finger, then copy pasted the boxes until they were all in rows. She highlighted one.

"Oh hey, that's near my cabin," said Julie. "I'm right here."

She pointed, but since she wasn't running the app she couldn't write to the sketch pad. Sasha drew a J for Julie.

"Okay, we'll keep that in mind. You have a reason to be over there," said Sasha. "Okay, what spells do both of you have?"

"Stunbolt, improved invisibility and heal," said Fuzzy.

Sasha beamed at Fuzzy.

"So you got around to learning it, huh? Used it yet?" asked Sasha.

"Did some practice hunts. So just squirrels and birds and stuff," said Fuzzy.

Sasha felt immensely happy. Julian might have taken Fuzzy's weapons and could again, but he could never take that away from her. Unless she purposefully wanted to forget it, which would take long days and why would she? Sasha knew deep down that she left a positive and near indelible mark on her girlfriend. She'd helped her protect herself just like her dad helped Sasha protect herself too. After all, he'd given it to her.

"Okay, what about you, Julie?" asked Sasha.

"Manabolt, stunbolt, improved invisibility, increase logic, levitation and heal," said Julie, quickly.

"Holy poo poo," said Sasha. "I thought you were in Mother Bear's safety class for six weeks. How did you find time to learn all of that? And how do you already know lethal combat spells?"

"Umm..." said Julie, nervously. "Well I was so far behind in my classes that I decided to take increase logic. I have no problems sustaining it so I just run it for a little under six hours a day. Mother Bear said I shouldn't go more than that, but it means that I learn really fast."

"Isn't that distracting?" asked Fuzzy.

"Nope. I only start to strain if I have to sustain two spells," said Julie. "Though I've held three before all at the same time. That gets tiring though. I have to keep them all in my mind all at the same time. It's like juggling. One ball is easy. Two is still easy, but three is hard. Mother Bear says if I'm diligent I could probably do four someday, but that is a while off and that if I'm not careful it's like I suddenly switch to knives."

Sasha made a miserable sound that betrayed her envy. Fuzzy looked impressed. Julie was thankful that neither of them followed up with questions about the combat spells. After all, mana bolt was the first spell she'd ever cast and that had been used to kill her father when he'd tried to strangle her in her hospital bed. Julian taught her stun bolt so she wouldn't immediately reach for her only combat spell which was a lethal one if she felt like she was in danger. With his teaching skills and her ability to sustain that spell it'd only taken her two days. Until she'd learned that she'd been nervous. After all she'd often been harassed lately and couldn't reach for the one spell she knew to protect herself. She'd never used them on a student but it did give her a feeling of control which had been so lacking in her life in the last few years.

"The plan?" asked Julie.

"Right, back on topic," said Sasha.

Sasha skipped right past the question as to why she had combat spells and Julie was genuinely thankful for it.

"Okay," said Sasha. "Who here knows anything about hacking?"

Sasha received blank stares from both of them.

"I'm still catching up on my studies," said Fuzzy. "I know how to use a commlink, but just for normal stuff."

"Yeah, that's beyond me," said Julie.

Sasha sighed audibly and raised her hand.

"I know a little, but I'm not very good at it," admitted Sasha. "My commlink is pretty awesome though. It's got everything. We can't get outside help because of the jamming on the island, but if we get close enough we can connect directly past most of the signal noise. People from the outside have a hard time, but if you're close it's pretty easy. That is if you have the training. I'm not smart enough for that. Sorry..."

"Can't Julie just make you smart?" asked Fuzzy.

Sasha and Julie both looked to her.

"What?" asked Fuzzy, who frowned. "Did I say something dumb?"

"No..." said Sasha, slowly. "Hey Julie, can you do that? Can you make me smarter?"

"Well yeah. I have to make contact with you but after that as long as you stay in sight I can keep you smart."

"How smart?" asked Sasha.

Julie smiled smugly and waggled her eyebrows.

"How smart do you want to be?" she asked.

"As smart as you can make me?" asked Sasha, anxiously.

Julie cracked her knuckles and waggled her head a bit to crack her neck. She was in her element. Sasha felt that thrill rise higher inside of her.

"Okay, we've got our hacker. What about cameras?" asked Sasha.

"I can make you invisible too," said Julie. "Two spells is not a huge deal. You're not going inside, right?"

"I'll go inside," said Fuzzy. "You need to be far enough away so you can watch for spirits and not distracted. So I'll watch Sasha and make her invisible from afar. I'll start at your cabin, sneak through the woods and when I get close enough you make Sasha invisible so I can drop it and cast it on myself. You just look at her in the astral to let me know when she's ready since people can see invisible stuff in the astral. I go in, plant the lube grenade and we get away."

"Okay, that way we don't have to worry about cameras. There are probably going to be a lot of them. Internal security isn't as bad," said Sasha. "I couldn't take down the whole system but the individual cabin security is something a professional could work with. Most security is to keep intruders out, not mess with people who are supposed to belong here. Pranks happen and security needs to be lax enough so students don't get hurt. So I check for internal security, hack it, Fuzzy goes in, Fuzzy comes out and I erase any trace of it being hacked in the first place."

"Wait," said Julie, "How do we make sure it gets set off at the right time? A tripwire or something?"

The girls thought for a while. Sasha checked her own internal security in her cabin. Alarms were wired to all of the doors and windows, the glass was bullet proof, the door looked like it was wooden, but was actually reinforced plasteel and there was the internal motion sensor. That just turned on the lights though, but it gave her an idea.

"Hey wait, what if I hook it up to the lighting system? Lights turn on as soon as you enter. What if I just wire it to go off when the lights turn on?"

"How about a delay?" asked Julie. "Maybe two seconds? Just long enough for her to open the door but not to close it. She'll get soaked at the entryway."

"Nice. You know this really depends on how smart you can make me though, right?" fretted Sasha.

"Don't you worry about it. This is my best spell. I use it twice a day on weekdays," said Julie.

"Okay, now I'm really jealous. I've got to look into that. My grades suck," grumped Sasha.

"I think it's a plan," said Fuzzy, who moved forward. "Sasha handles the hacking, Julie handles spells and is lookout and I'm the sneaky one. Let's get in costume."

Fuzzy, Julie and Sasha - Friday October 20th - Evening - Blake Island - Julie's Cabin

Sasha had never been so smart before. Everything made sense. Concepts which she'd been struggling with over the week all suddenly clicked together as soon as she thought about them. Not only did one concept lead to another, but she was able to skip normally necessary steps and simply know things. She looked at Julie with amazement as she realized just how powerful and how big of an advantage she had over all the rest of the students who didn't do this.

"You do this for six hours a day?" asked Sasha, amazed.

"With a break for lunch, yeah," said Julie.

Julie was lookout so she had on a simple plastic cat mask and her normal school clothes. It wasn't weird for her to be at her own cabin after all. Fuzzy was in a full biker outfit complete with helmet. Sasha had gotten it for her for Halloween. It hugged her tight, but looked far more cool than it did revealing. Plus the full head mask of the helmet would keep her from being immediately recognized. Sasha dressed like an old western sheriff complete with cowgirl hat, fake six shooters in real holsters and a bright gold star on her chest.

Now was the moment. She'd taken a class on coding two years ago. It was normal for safety and security after all for teens to learn basic security measures in order to not be security risks to their corporations. So when she tried to recall it she not only did so perfectly, but understood concepts that once escaped her. She marveled at just how powerful she was now. Did Julie really feel like this for a quarter out of each day? She'd ask later. Maybe this could help her with her classes. Forwards then. She reviewed the plan and the plan started with her.

"All right, Fuzzy, make me invisible," she said.

And just like that she disappeared. Sasha had never done anything on this level before, and here she was, first into the breach.

"See you guys in a bit," said the space where Sasha had been.

Slowly and cautiously Sasha crept forward through the woods to Christina's cabin. The woods weren't particularly dense, but it was fall so a few leaves did crunch under her feet in the dark, but they were mostly pine needle and so the crunching wasn't too bad. No one paid attention to these sorts of noises though. Animals weren't afraid of people on the island. After all, Fuzzy had never started to hunt them, so it was common to see squirrels, foxes or even deer despite the island's small size.

"See anything?" whispered Fuzzy to Julie, her voice muffled through her helmet.

"Nothing in the astral," said Julie. "Spirits can't be everywhere all the time. They're expensive to maintain. I'll let you know if one is coming up. Trust me. They're big."

Sasha knelt down and scanned for wirelessly active devices. Just in the cabin she found dozens. Of course it wouldn't be that simple, but she was a policeman's daughter and so she knew her security. She found the cameras, all outside and too many to deal with given the time she had. She found the alarm on the window and she found the lights in the cabin linked to a motion sensor. Though the last wasn't strictly a security measure it would give Fuzzy away once she deposited the lube grenade. It'd become visible as soon as she dropped it and it would therefor move and be logged. Sasha knew there were too many cameras to deal with so they'd just have to rely on invisibility. The cameras were probably picking up her thermal signature, but someone would have to actually look at the footage which was possible, but thermal signatures don't give away what someone looks like. She focused on the window. It was locked, bulletproof and alarmed. The island wide jamming was light at this range but with her wits she cut right through it with ease. She skillfully programmed the alarm to ignore intrusion rather than crash it and sent a signal to pop the lock. Then she took down the motion sensor. She checked the window and opened it just a crack. No lights and no silent alarm. Though she was invisible she waved to Julie who could see her aura in the astral.

"Okay, I'll take over. Go fast," said Julie.

Julie cast at range. Sasha didn't feel a thing, but when Fuzzy's spell dropped her own spell kept Sasha invisible. Fuzzy disappeared and leaves began to crunch again, though far more silently than Sasha as she knew how to stay quiet in the woods now due to occasional non-lethal hunting excursions with Sasha and even her father a few times, though those were always lethal sadly. Despite that it meant her skills were still as sharp as ever.

"Everything good, Sasha?" whispered Fuzzy.

Fuzzy didn't see Sasha jump with a start. She hadn't heard her girlfriend at all. She calmed herself and nodded, which wasn't seen at all as she was invisible, but she was smart enough to realize this after the fact at least.

"Yes. Be quick," whispered Sasha.

Fuzzy was true to her word and added careful to quick. She was small enough to get in through the window without moving it much with her helmet being the main concern. It was dark inside though due to the lack of lights. She was almost just going to drop it in the middle of the floor when she spied Christina's book bag. With a grin hidden by both the spell and her helmet she turned it on its side on the table it was on, unzipped it, drew a few items forward and placed the lube grenade just outside of it as if it had just so happened to have fallen out. The splat would originate from her book bag. No one had been able to fabricate anything like a receipt on short notice since physical receipts were rare and hacking Christina's commlink would be risky to make a fake receipt. So instead the implication wouldn't be official. Just implied but damning. She dropped the lube grenade near the book bag and seconds later just like that Fuzzy was back out. Sasha went to work while Fuzzy shut the window. She enabled the lock, enabled the alarm and wiped the presence of it ever being tampered with. Then in a piece of coding she'd never be able to accomplish without her new intelligence she set the wirelessly active lube grenade on a two second delay, linked it to the motion sensors of the lights and inserted a small piece of code which would erase itself and the tampering once triggered. In short, her code would trigger the grenade and then eat itself leaving no trace.

"Let's go," said Sasha.

"Okay," said Fuzzy.

Sasha followed Fuzzy. She was the first one in and last to leave. She felt good about that and as far as they knew no one had gotten caught.

Fuzzy, Julie and Sasha - Wednesday October 31st - Evening - Blake Island - Event Hall

Kenji sipped punch, danced with a few of the girls who wanted to slum it with the poor boy and tried to have a good time with the whitest of whitewashed music. Some of it was catchy, but all of the edges had been sanded off and the party decorations were as cheesy as that drat fish who was always shilling for that dead Salmon Run social media site. The costumes were top notch though since everyone was trying to impress. There was some eye candy too. Some of the upperclassmen had taken to more risque costumes. One in particular, a "cannibal" wearing faux furs, artfully splashed blood and a painted face caught his eye. She was cute in a pre-enlightenment way and so despite the odds Kenji plied his charm on her as he approached.

"Hey, what're you supposed to be?" asked Kenji.

She looked him up and down. In a fit of irony he went for shadowrunner. Edward wasn't the only one who could gently caress over his identity. He didn't play ACHE shadowrunner though, but instead went more mall ninja with a fake katana, fake Ares predator, slicked back hair and mirror shades, but he a real lined coat with real ghoul claw marks on it. It was the little touches that made a costume believable.

"A cannibal," she said. "How about you?"

"Shadowrunner," said Kenji.

"Trying to ham it up?" she asked.

"Maybe. Eat anyone good lately?" he replied.

She laughed a little. Kenji smirked confidently.

"Not lately, no," she said.

"Would you like to?" flirted Kenji.

He got a tap on his shoulder. He sighed softly and turned around, spied who he thought he'd see and turned back around to her, his moment interrupted.

"Oh, friends of yours?" she asked.

"You could say that," he said. "Rain check?"

"Maybe."

"I'll take a maybe," said Kenji. "See you around. Maybe save some room."

He was lead off by the girls who all looked flush with victory. Even Fuzzy whose visor was open and Julie whose mask was up.

"So the thing, it's done?" whispered Kenji.

Sasha nodded. She looked the proudest out of all of them.

"You wouldn't happen to want to record it, would you?" whispered Kenji.

He was bumped into by one of the party goers and checked his commlink on reflex. Still there. He hadn't even thought about it. Pickpockets were as common as roaches in the ACHE.

"Got it taken care of. I set up a micro camera. Super small. It's stuck to someone else's cabin," whispered Sasha.

"Wait, when did you do that?" whispered Julie.

"Well I don't need magic to be smart," whispered Sasha, smugly. "It just helps."

"I sort of want to see it happen though," whispered Fuzzy, excitedly. "You know, make fun of her a bit."

"Yeah," whispered Julie. "She earned this and more."

"I got to say that's maybe not the smartest move," whispered Kenji. "If you do it she'll know and be chomping at the bit for revenge. Let her strike out blindly and cause problems for herself."

"But I have the perfect line," whined Julie.

"I'm not saying don't do it, just think before you do," whispered Kenji. "Anyway, if you're sure I can go over and spill some juice all over her costume. This Fizzychug soda is really sticky after all and Christina's got on a toga."

He swirled his plastic red cup full of the purple fizzy stuff and grinned. Everyone looked to Christina who wore her toga. It was light enough that she was able to dance in it but airy enough that it didn't cling to the extra weight she carried. It flattered her.

"What? That's all you're doing to do? Spill your drink on her?" whispered Julie.

"Spill and take the heat if she decides it's me, yeah. I'm willing to mess with her. I don't do prank wars. I prefer in a devastating first strike," he whispered. "So what's it going to be? Go out and look guilty as hell, but make fun of her or just let me mess with her and make her all paranoid?"

CYOA Time

The plan seems to have went off without a hitch. Now it's time to set it off. However does the entire gang go to the cabin to shout one liners at Christina or do they do it the stealthy way and just watch the footage?

Everyone gets 2 karma! :toot:

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 6, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dice rolls for the night. It took me quite a few hours to get all of this done. It's just under 5000 words including the write up. That doesn't include all of the dice rolls and thinking about how to pull it off.

Keep in mind

So the night begins. The group asks who has any hacking skills whatsoever and Sasha raises her hand. She’s not that great though. She only has a logic of 3 and a hacking skilgroup of 1. Julie pulls out the trump card she’s been using to boost her grades and increases Sasha’s logic by 5 with 5 net hits, resists all drain and is able to sustain the spell with zero difficulty because she has living focus as a positive quality. Sasha gets SMART. Julie handles the magic overwatch to make sure no spirits are around from a place in the woods where she can see Sasha but would be outside of view of the cameras. I rolled and a spirit will show up in 5 minutes and her increase attribute (logic) spell gives Sasha 9 dice to play around with along with her 5 edge. Sasha is pretty average in all respects save for her luck, but an increase attributes spell suits her really well.

Sasha searches for hidden matrix devices and criticals with 5 hits. She sees all. However she has to think hard about what might be security systems. She gets 1 hit to identify what is what, because we live in a world where the internet of things is now the internet of everything. I reroll failures with edge and she gets to 5 hits total. She identifies the cameras, a motion sensor and an alarm on the window. Julie isn’t covered by the cameras as she’s pretty deep in the woods, but the entire row of cabins is heavily covered with cameras with overlapping fields of view. Subverting all of them would be a nightmare, but she doesn’t have to.

Sasha with her newfound abilities in intelligence begins to understand how to subvert the island’s matrix security far more easily. She won’t be able to tackle the node because that’s most likely beyond her skill. However the smaller devices are all only a rating 3 which means that have 6 dice to defend rather than the node’s rating 6 with 12 dice to defend. She has to get close though which could end up on the cameras or subvert the cameras. Fuzzy casts improved invisibility on Sasha so she can get close while Julie is on lookout. Fuzzy has six dice. She only gets 1 hit. I’m going to roll edge. She rerolls failures and gets 4 more hits for a total of 5. Sasha is the night. The cameras would have to beat a threshold of five and so I’m not even going to bother. However even after rolling edge again and then again she takes no drain. Rolling edge and accidentally going over how many points you have in magic is bad. She doesn’t take any physical damage, but she only has one point of edge left for her infiltration.

Julie watches for spirits. They’re invisible to everyone but the astral. There’s no one here at the moment. Sasha begins to get close enough to reduce the noise value, basically the jamming down to a mere 1 point due to how close she is. She begins to subvert the lock first. She has 8 dice versus its 6. By spending her edge she gets 4 hits. It only gets 1 hit. Sasha has 3 edge left. She temporarily disables it. She goes for the motion sensor and gets 4 hits. It only gets 2 hits. Security is down.

Julie can’t cast invisibility on Fuzzy because it’s line of sight only and she’d lose line of sight when she went in so Fuzzy has to cast it on herself or Sasha would have to disable the cameras which would be super obvious. Julie now has to stop being lookout for the brief few seconds because she needs to cast on Sasha. 3 hits with 1 point of edge spent. Sasha rolls her stealth against the cameras. Nope she’s still good. Julie doesn’t get any drain either. Fuzzy drops the spell on Sasha and casts on herself. Fuzzy casts improved invisibility with her 6 dice. She gets 3 hits. However she takes 3 drain and has to sustain the spell which puts her at a -3 to all actions. The camera actually gets a roll now with 5 dice. -1 for it being night time. Fuzzy sneaks. The camera gets 2 hits and she gets 2 hits, but she is already has a threshold of 3. She is the night. She activates her astral sight, hits Sasha with improved invisibility.
Fuzzy slips into her room. She gets 1 hit to see in the dark despite the penalties. The place is shadowy, but not dark. She’s going to use logic + intuition to think of the best place to put the grenade. She only has 3 dice though because her intuition is 4 and her logic is 2, and there’s a -3 penalty from the stun damage and sustaining a spell. She gets a 1 hit which is good enough. Christina’s bookbag is here and she cautiously unzips, dumps a few contents as if they’ve spilled out and that includes the lube grenade. She sneaks back again and tries to avoid the camera. I rolled edge to be super sure she doesn’t get seen and she doesn’t due to being sneaky and invisible. She closes the window and sneaks away, her job is done.
Sasha now attempts to erase the subversion to the devices. She has 3 edge left and 8 dice versus their 6. With edge she gets 7 hits versus its two for the motion sensor. Sasha attempts to use the motion sensor as the trigger with a three second delay as the trigger for the lube grenade AND to create a simple code to gobble itself once it’s done. Normally she couldn’t even do this, but she’s a genius right now. This is harder and will take 4 dice from her pool. She gets 2 hits anyway. Critical. The device is already subverted so it can’t resist. Her intrusion on the motion sensor is set to be erased. I use the very last of Sasha’s edge twice and only get 1 hit to erase her presence, but the machine gets 0 hits and so she lucks out. Sasha and Fuzzy are tapped on edge. Everyone gets away.

Now they all have to be seen. They go to the party and let Kenji know it’s done. He’s been keeping an eye on Christina and she’s been dancing so she’s probably thirsty. Kenji suggests they spill a drink on her, but someone needs to make it look convincing. That’s Kenji’s job. He’s the social operator after all. He waits for a few minutes and spills a drink on her. I’m not really sure what this would be. I’ll say an etiquette test to play it off and already be there to spill said drink, but a con test to make it believable that it was an accident. 5 hits on etiquette is enough to talk to someone near the punch bowl. With edge he’s barely able to get 3 dice on a con roll versus Christina’s 2 dice in judge intentions. She’s more mad that her designer costume has been ruined.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 20, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Go plan paranoia. As much as making fun of her in the moment would be, it would be far sweeter to see her lash out at random, and make ourselves look less guilty in the process.

We can always use the one-liners once the video is leaked online.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm with Hiho Chirho. Sorry Julie, but let's play it cool.

Also holy poo poo, Julie has been at the grind with her education. Like, real hard. Maybe share some of that with Sasha, also give Julie more inroads with the group dynamic.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
Stealth. The satisfaction can be a smug, quiet kind. But Julie totally saves that one-liner just in case she can throw it out in a non-prankster crowd. After all, this might draw people they can blend in with.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Split the difference: Watch the video and use your one-liners as you watch it happen. Since you know you'll watch it several times, you'll get to use them all.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Revenge is a dish best served cold. They were cool, competent, and collected no need to throw away all that work to gloat and potentially get in trouble.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Keep your distance, maybe someone has a a burner comm so someone can send Julie's one liner right after it happens? Best of both worlds. Unless the one liner implicates anyone.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Well, fine. This is me asking why now :colbert:

I'll answer this soon then. No one seemed interested in why so I didn't push it.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ice, are you secretly Daniel Steele?

I don't make enough money to have ghost writers.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Don't mistake giving you room to tell us in your own time for disinterest.

Also I think playing it cool at first is best, despite wanting the gang to get maximum gloat.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Fuzzy might want to learn that logic spell.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah play it cool, the snarky one-liners aren't worth the inevitable heat we'd catch for being so obviously the perpetrators.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Cool as a cucumber.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Now that we're approaching the end of Kenji's day in the spotlight, I think it might be a good time to bring up an idea.

You remember earlier in the adventure, when Julie was reflecting on how she might be able to Initiate at a shockingly young age? Well, Initiation is a sort of upgrade thing, usually taking the form of a spirit journey, meditation, or researched thesis. The end result is unlocking a new Metamagic, which is a sort of broad magical ability which modifies some aspect of how you use magic, or your Magic itself.

One of these Metamagics lets you change and resculpt your aura at will. Appear mundane, look like a ghoul or dog, even look like a completely different kind of Awakened. Shadowrunners tend to chase that one pretty aggressively, to keep disguises from being busted by the first wage mage with Astral Perception.

If Kenji hears about it, I'd expect him to start chasing Initiation pretty aggressively. If he gets it, it could end his reliance on Dust as a magical disguise.

What's everyone else think? Should Kenji start chasing that in the background, even though he doesn't have the same kind of raw potential that Julie does?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I could definitely see him pursuing that pretty hard

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wow, that's a hell of an upgrade, and he won't be dependent on an ACHE artifact he would have to track down.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Problem is, even being at a magic school, I doubt he would have just stumbled into the technique by chance. He'd have to go researching, trying to track down a non-brick fix. That, and Initiation really is a hoop that most Awakened in-setting never jump through (even if most Awakened shadowrunners initiate serially for that extra edge).

So, it would be a real, serious undertaking. But, at the same time, it's one I could see him being exceptionally motivated to take.

Oh, and if I remember right, it can hide your Astral mood too, to let you bluff people like Sasha. As if Kenji needed any more reasons to want it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

jagadaishio posted:

Now that we're approaching the end of Kenji's day in the spotlight, I think it might be a good time to bring up an idea.

You remember earlier in the adventure, when Julie was reflecting on how she might be able to Initiate at a shockingly young age? Well, Initiation is a sort of upgrade thing, usually taking the form of a spirit journey, meditation, or researched thesis. The end result is unlocking a new Metamagic, which is a sort of broad magical ability which modifies some aspect of how you use magic, or your Magic itself.

One of these Metamagics lets you change and resculpt your aura at will. Appear mundane, look like a ghoul or dog, even look like a completely different kind of Awakened. Shadowrunners tend to chase that one pretty aggressively, to keep disguises from being busted by the first wage mage with Astral Perception.

If Kenji hears about it, I'd expect him to start chasing Initiation pretty aggressively. If he gets it, it could end his reliance on Dust as a magical disguise.

What's everyone else think? Should Kenji start chasing that in the background, even though he doesn't have the same kind of raw potential that Julie does?

I'd say he can definitely do that. It'd take time for him to initiate though. To get from magic 4 to magic 6 is 55 karma. Initiating is another 13. We're pretty high in karma right now though we spent 10 on taking down his compulsion from severe to moderate which reduced Edward's grip on Kenji. I'm currently sharing karma rewards between everyone equally at the moment but that will probably change come the next season, or at least I'd slow that down when they're not currently active in a "run".

As a note, initiating does grant powers, but it doesn't raise your magic from 6 to 7. Magic 6 is your normal "cap". Initiating lets you raise that cap and you can spend 35 karma to go from magic 6 to magic 7.

I'll read up on initiation and just what that means.

I will say that Julie can initiate pretty soon. Almost as soon as getting her teachers on board with the idea and a lot of study which she's going to be great at. We're going to be faced with either becoming stronger or fixing her many, many MANY faults which can be either good or bad. Personally I was thinking she could invest in an ally spirit as binding spirits for later use (which are called services, which go away) cost poo poo loads of money. Ally spirits are crazy expensive in karma but I think it would be neat to have a spirit buddy. It would actually be a serious point of distinction to initiate in her teens. I think that having a personal spirit buddy would appeal to her because it would make her more powerful. It can be banished but comes back after a month and it is pretty much unkillable. Plus it can grow with her. Like Puppy at first, but if Puppy could fling fireballs. They get smart later.

Here are the problems Julie has with her upcoming arc. And hoo boy will she be defined by her problems.

1. Chasing power and distinction. working on self improvement, or a mix of both.
2. Dealing with her family problems.
3. Dealing with her terrible reputation.
4. Trying not to be such an alien as she mashes the genius button too much.
5. Figuring out that getting power for power's sake isn't a particularly great goal. What's important is what you do with it.
6. Getting out of poverty.

We don't have to go after all of these. In fact let me know in the thread what you'd like to see most or if there's something else you'd like to see from her story. I can attempt to work it in so long as it doesn't interfere with the plot.

As a personal note, having read Name of the Wind a number of times I think that the main character's end boss isn't some god thing, but his loving student loans. Talent, inexperience and poverty are a witch's brew for bad choices.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 20, 2017

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Something to keep an eye on as you look into it - you don't have to be Magic 6 to Initiate, you can do it even at Magic 1. Your current Magic score serves as the cap on how many Grades of Initiation you can have presently (and you can lose Grades if Essence loss damages your Magic too badly). And then, of course, aside from getting a Metamagic after Initiating (with Metamagics often having a mechanical effect calculated off of your Initiate Grade) your Initiate Grade is added to your Essence score to determine your Magic cap.

Burnouts who get devastated down to Essence/Magic 1 can and do climb back up by alternating between Initiate Grades and Magic purchases. Christina might be planning on following that route with her magical schooling - building a ladder to overcome her Essence condition.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

jagadaishio posted:

Something to keep an eye on as you look into it - you don't have to be Magic 6 to Initiate, you can do it even at Magic 1. Your current Magic score serves as the cap on how many Grades of Initiation you can have presently (and you can lose Grades if Essence loss damages your Magic too badly). And then, of course, aside from getting a Metamagic after Initiating (with Metamagics often having a mechanical effect calculated off of your Initiate Grade) your Initiate Grade is added to your Essence score to determine your Magic cap.

Burnouts who get devastated down to Essence/Magic 1 can and do climb back up by alternating between Initiate Grades and Magic purchases. Christina might be planning on following that route with her magical schooling - building a ladder to overcome her Essence condition.

Actually, never mind, you're right. He could do it now. It'd be a sort of patch for his problem that would come with extra help. He could probably even sell the dust if he could find a buyer who wanted it and wouldn't try to gently caress him over for it.

It'll take him at least one hit on an intuition + arcana skill check. He doesn't have the arcana skill, but he could do it given a month or two. Again though he'd have to find a teacher that would help him. I'd have to think of a new adept teacher on top of the one I'm already planning for the physical adepts because Fuzzy doesn't have much in the way of adept powers past 1 rank in the magical equivalent of animal handling.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 20, 2017

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

For sure. Initiation is something that doesn't technically have a tremendous barrier to entry, but which definitely does represent a significant investment of time, effort, and tutelage. Kenji has a very big motivation to chase all of that down - but it still requires the chasing.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
2. Dealing with family problems is going to be a lifetime struggle for Julie.

3. Julie's SIN and the man slaughter charge linked with it kind of limits her future prospects whatever her reputation at Blake is. I am not sure expanding her circle of friends benefits her anymore than tightening her relationship with the friends she currently has. Growing closer to Kenji/Marco/Sasha, gives her potential ins working at EVO or the Orc Underground or Ares Macrotechnology despite her SIN, or shadowrunning. Improving her general rep doesn't really offer better prospects than working for a very Meta-human friendly corp or an AAA corp.

4. Julie should be bashing the genius button pretty hard because her future might depend on it given her SIN and somewhat unstable personalty.

5. Julie is completely dependent on the generosity of others at the moment so this is not an immediate priority.

1 and 6 should probably be the main focuses for now. I think working on self improvement especially just being at peace with herself and excelling at stuff that is important for her and saving up a nest egg because there is no safety net for her. If she gets kicked out of the school she is out on the street with no cash for food or shelter or any of the necessities of life. So getting work either moonlighting as a shadowrunner with Kenji or working for EVO or Ares or the Orc underground is probably an immediate and pressing concern.

As an aside I'm not sure Christina really has an essence problem I think she is another Leblanc method graduate and the supposed cellular degradation at age 12 was a front for Leblanc training and her aura just looks squidgy because she has multiple personalties she can call on, though it isn't nearly as bad as Kenji because Lone Star or her mother refined the method by the time she was inducted. Her seeming inability to be able to do magic well might just be a long con to mislead other corps who might be spying on the student body. This paranoia would be especially justified since Seattle is basically enemy territory for her given Ares control of the cops. If you can instantly conjure up a super studious personalty to learn spells and be good at magic or whatever later in life, there is no reason not to have a super social/ambitious front personalty in high school.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh poo poo I didn't even think that Christina might be a LeBlanc graduate herself. Although have we really seen any evidence of her switching personalities? Having a supergenius learning personality to learn spells for you doesn't really work, though, because Edward said that knowledge isn't shared between personalities (unless magic counts as a kind of muscle memory and they only care about magic but not mundane knowledge?).

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
I figure she can foster different personalties for specialized tasks. You need a super duper mage go to the mage personalty, you need a social butterfly you revert to that personalty, etc...

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't even think that Christina might be a LeBlanc graduate herself. Although have we really seen any evidence of her switching personalities? Having a supergenius learning personality to learn spells for you doesn't really work, though, because Edward said that knowledge isn't shared between personalities (unless magic counts as a kind of muscle memory and they only care about magic but not mundane knowledge?).

I'd say that Edward would have an easier time shifting his face as that would be muscle memory. However he'd still need to train it to learn it for himself. All the rest of what Kenji wants to get though? Yeah, not happening without going through the same stuff Kenji wants to. It's all social adept stuff.

If you want to test Christina as a LeBlanc candidate though I'd say you'd have to find out how to do so or take shots in the dark and see if something sticks. Edward was rejected and only understands how to use his powers, but not how they work but could probably provide some theories. Really only Sasha would have the ability to test her and even then it would be guesswork as she's currently the one who has the information from Edward and her dad. The LeBlanc method is specifically made to be undetectable by magic, tech, or conventional psychological screening. What I'll say is that it uses 100% pure mental conditioning which makes it a sort of outlier in Shadowrun. It's not magic, it's not based in tech, it's just training.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Hmm. Could Edward learn combat powers while Kenji's Adept powers are primarily social? That's a random example - obviously Edward doesn't have the personality to be a combat monster.

If Power Points get reshuffled by LeBlanc, that would be an ungodly windfall for Lone Star (and anyone who stole the research).

It's like Personafixes and Skillwires, but for Awakened.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenji, Fuzzy, Julie and Sasha - Wednesday October 31st - Evening - Blake Island, Event Hall

"Yeah, maybe you're right. I think it'd be better if she was paranoid and lashed out stupidly," whispered Sasha.

"I guess so. It'll be okay so long as I can see the footage," whispered Julie.

"We can have popcorn at my place," whispered Sasha. "You know, watch scary movies too?"

"What's popcorn?" asked Fuzzy.

Everyone looked at her.

"What?" asked Fuzzy.

"Okay, we're definitely having popcorn," said Sasha.

"Can I bring Puppy?" asked Fuzzy.

"Of course you can," said Sasha.

The whispers were done now that it was decided. There'd be a scary movie marathon tonight. Their school clothes were off so the tracking devices were gone. For one night they'd have some freedom of movement. Normally it was forbidden to be in someone's cabin past curfew, but holidays were more about managing chaos rather than keeping order. It was the middle of the school week and the trouble that any of them could get into in the metroplex with a credstick that had more zeroes than these corporate princes and princesses had sense. They chafed at the rules, complained, had to go to lame parties and caused mischief but the damage they could do to themselves and to others was limited here. Besides, it was sometimes good to show the children of the powerful that every once and a while they could be told no. Not that people didn't leave the island though. As young awakened most upperclassmen had ways off the island or friends who could help take them. Not boats, but spells or spirits which would help convey them anywhere else. Some could shift their shapes though that wasn't optimal because they'd lose their clothes. Some could levitate just enough to walk across the water or have spirits which could help them do the same.

Kenji thought about this as he waited for the dance music to switch to something new. He had his part to play. However he thought about the punch bowl and spilling onto her toga. He thought about taking his own advice. He desperately wanted to spill some purple soda on her to make her suspect. In the end though he'd decided not to. He'd be a good little fixer. Fuzzy, Sasha and Julie were the right team and even though it was sabotage for babies they'd managed to pull it off. Well, if they were as good as they said they were that is. Christina had hosed with him not once but twice. This would be his answer. He wouldn't challenge her directly. He would instead let her flail. Maybe someday he'd tip her off to mess with her, but not before she'd done quite a lot of damage to herself.

"Hey, this party is lame. Let's get out of here," said Kenji. "You said something about a movie marathon, Sasha?"

She looked dubiously at him.

"Not going to uh...Get yourself another drink?" she asked.

"Nah. I'm not thirsty if you understand my meaning," he said. "I've had my fill."

She shrugged and looked to Fuzzy and Julie who also shrugged each in turn.

"Yeah, okay," she said.

"I'll stop at my place for a bit before I come by if you don't mind," said Kenji.

Kenji, Fuzzy, Julie and Sasha - Wednesday October 31st - Evening - Blake Island, Sasha's Cabin

There was the sound of a splat and a peel of laughter from outside. The four rushed to the door of Sasha's cabin, opened it and peered out. In the gloom there was Christina covered head to toe in some sort of shiny, slick substance. Julie ran back inside and doubled over laughing. Fuzzy and Sasha giggled and Sasha caught the utter confusion in Christina's aura. Kenji smirked and Sasha shut the door before Puppy got out. Minutes later they calmed down, but it looked like one of the teachers was helping Christina and Julie kept peeking through the windows and snickering though she stopped doing it so she wouldn't spoil herself too much for the camera version. They'd get the highlights soon once it was safe to get the camera and instead they simply wouldn't expose themselves. Sasha provided the slasher flick, popcorn and drinks, though Kenji brought a drink for himself in a peculiar container.

"Is that a bottle of mouthwash?" asked Sasha, who pulled a face.

The girls were sitting on the couch. Kenji had commandeered two lawn chairs from outside. He sat on one and used the other to prop up his feet.

"Nope. A little food coloring and a lighter to reseal it. No one smells mouth wash. It's soju. Think vodka but with even less redeeming qualities," joked Kenji.

"You expect us to drink that?" asked Julie.

"No, I expect me to drink it. I didn't expect to hang out with everyone otherwise I'd bring something tastier. I've been drinking since I was ten and this is how I celebrate a job well done before Edward would stuff me away again. It was my little way of sticking it to him. I got drunk and he got the hangover," said Kenji. "You're totally welcome to share if you're feeling up to it, but I wouldn't recommend it. It mixes well though. Let me know if you want me to sneak something over for next time."

Julie looked intrigued, Sasha looked unhappy about the events but Fuzzy frowned at the horror movie which had been going on for several minutes now. As Sasha turned her head she saw Fuzzy's aura and it was distinctively uncomfortable. Instead she pet Puppy. Puppy was no longer a lap dog, but he was trying and that meant his head and one paw in Fuzzy's lap. He was 30 kilos now and still not fully done growing. No breed to speak of. Just a big, brown, short haired mutt with pointed ears and a wet, black nose.

"Hey, what's wrong?" asked Sasha.

Fuzzy pointed at the screen. Someone was screaming and running away from a man with a knife.

Sasha had introduced movies to Fuzzy just a few weeks ago. They'd been through running genres to find out what her tastes were. She didn't go in for high comedy, drama or science fiction, or romcoms, but she loved slapstick, cartoons, fantasy and seemed to have a special spot for martial arts movies though Sasha didn't. She always had questions afterwards and this helped Sasha explain what being normal was like while Fuzzy poked holes and cast doubt on what Sasha thought was normal. Horror was on the list. Sasha wondered who would cling to whom, or maybe they'd get scared and cling to one another. However Fuzzy always watched to the end though and she looked ready to, but she'd never looked this uncomfortable before while watching movies.

"It's just a movie," said Sasha.

"I know, but it reminds me of home," said Fuzzy, sadly.

Fuzzy's eyes were off the trideo screen and she nervously pet Puppy's head. Sasha grimaced. She wasn't constantly tripping over Fuzzy's sensibilities anymore, but it happened at least a few times a week now. It wasn't one way. Fuzzy made her share of mistakes, but dealing with Fuzzy's life before Blake Island meant stepping around her trauma. Sasha turned the trideo off. Fuzzy smiled gratefully at her.

"Hey, I thought we were going to have a slasher marathon," said Julie.

The popcorn was already popping. Sasha thought furiously. It'd probably be at least another hour or two before she would feel comfortable recovering the mini camera.

"I was thinking we could tell scary stories instead," said Sasha, suddenly.

Kenji stopped sipping on his mouthwash bottle and eyed her.

"No offense, Sasha, but my life is a near endless stream of scary stories. If I wanted scary stories I'd just go to bed early and be alone with my thoughts," said Kenji.

"I know, right?" murmured Julie.

Sasha didn't have to look at Fuzzy to know she was silently agreeing with them and so Sasha was only really now realizing how atypical the crowd she was with. If she'd been with anyone else on the island tonight probably would've been well received. The revenge went off well and they were all looking forward to it, but everyone had pretty different tastes. Instead her girlfriend didn't like horror films because they reminded her of home, Kenji was drinking liquor out of a bottle of mouthwash and it seemed that Julie was somewhat of a different person when Marco wasn't around. She realized just how little she had in common with any of her friends. On the flip side she had friends. They weren't involved in political scheming and she could take them at face value. Almost everyone on the island didn't have friends. They had interests, allies and enemies.

"Maybe we should share secrets," said Fuzzy.

Everyone looked to her.

"What? Why?" asked Julie.

Fuzzy nodded to Kenji.

"Kenji got all of his deepest, darkest secrets revealed to us and that doesn't seem fair. I'm not saying we should tell everyone everything, but I think sharing something back would be fair," said Fuzzy.

Kenji tipped his mouthwash bottle full of liquor to her in a salute.

"I mean you don't have to," said Kenji. "Life isn't fair, but if you want to share I can share. Plus if Sasha has some mixers I can share a little of this around."

CYOA Time

Fuzzy proposes that instead of scary stories they just share about themselves. Rating system, 1 being the best and 10 being the worst, what is the kind of story that each person will share about themselves? You can also choose to lie. I'll accept just names and numbers, but if there's been something in the story or something you're all curious about with one of the characters feel free to ask. Otherwise I'll just make something up. So who wants to share something? Is it good or bad? Do they play it safe, vent or try to lift up the group?

Operation Lube Grenade was a resounding success. :toot: We opted not to provoke Christina so we caught a glimpse of it but not everything. Sasha will grab the camera footage later. Everyone gets 2 karma. Everyone increases the loyalty level by one except for Fuzzy and Sasha. Loyalty six will be its own thing if we opt to take it.

Minor note, if it seems like we succeed a lot, it's because in Shadowrun as long as you can keep things going smoothly you're likely to step away uninjured if not uncaught. It's that one mission that totally fucks you and we haven't come across it yet.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 20, 2017

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:golfclap: Brilliantly executed for Baby's First Shadowrun. My first ever Shadowrun was an actual Kitty Kat Run, go steal someone's cat. It ended with a mob boss dead, two Redmond city blocks leveled, a Lone Star hot pursuit, and five million nuyen bounties on our heads. But we got the cat.

We weren't very good shadowrunners.

In this scenario here I feel that if Julie goes last she'll have had her defenses lowered enough to not just share, but overshare. Like water escaping a pressurized pipe.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Congrats on the successful run, Team Magic Island Misfits!

I think Fuzzy would be pretty sincere about this, as she's the one who suggested it, so she would share an 6, maybe a 7.

Julie might start out with something like a softball, like "I have a crush on Marco" and the other kids can react to that "secret" in the manner appropriate to them.

Kenji may decide to cheer everyone up with a funny secret to contrast the heavy stuff that Edward dumped on them.

Would Sasha think it would be time to bring the rest of the group into her confidence over the file she has on the LeBlanc family and the LeBlanc method? She knows Marco knows she knows more than she lets on. And that was certainly a sentence. This might be the time to establish that they are a team. Then again there may be a better time for this later on down the line. Otherwise, maybe she shares something sufficiently serious and sobering.

If Julie decides after, to admit something deeper about herself, it's up to her, but she has friends now.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA Time

Fuzzy proposes that instead of scary stories they just share about themselves. Rating system, 1 being the best and 10 being the worst, what is the kind of story that each person will share about themselves? You can also choose to lie. I'll accept just names and numbers, but if there's been something in the story or something you're all curious about with one of the characters feel free to ask. Otherwise I'll just make something up. So who wants to share something? Is it good or bad? Do they play it safe, vent or try to lift up the group?

Fuzzy: 8; she's started a new life now, and she's going to keep affirming the positive.

Julie: 6; she wants to share and she doesn't know how. She's certainly not going to say anything about 'Dad'.

Kenji: 5; he's done sharing with this group for now. He'll spin a similar story to the one he told Julian during his recruitment.

Sasha: 7; her story is going to be awkward because she's a Corp Princess and compared to these three, what really has she been exposed to in her life?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Just caught up with this. Excellent story! I'm not familiar with shadowrun, but I feellike I'm immersed in the setting. I really like seeing the behind-the-scenes rolls too, which I didn't anticipate. It's cool seeing how differently things could have gone.

I think Fuzzy would go full hog with secrets, she empathised with Edward and I think she would consider it just.
I don't think Julie would be comfortable sharing something big.
Likewise, I think Sasha would be smart with secrets as a corp-kid, and she's not comfortable around Kenji. She might share something a little bigger just to placate Fuzzy.
Kenji could do anything. Tell a weird joke, or reveal something heart-wrenching. Maybe both?

Fuzzy: 10

Julie: 3

Sasha: 5

Kenji: Anywhere from 1-10

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Welcome to the thread. Glad you liked it enough to slog through all my writing.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I feel like Fuzzy may be trying to express herself more with regards to Sasha, because being a corp princess is loving hard work for a barrens girl, so 7-9.

Julie’s will absolutely be that she has a crush on Marco, but she won’t know what to say until she blurts it out.

Sasha will maaaaybe talk what little she knows about the Leblanc method.

Kenji is gonna want to shock the normies.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Congrats on the successful run, Team Magic Island Misfits!

I think Fuzzy would be pretty sincere about this, as she's the one who suggested it, so she would share an 6, maybe a 7.

Julie might start out with something like a softball, like "I have a crush on Marco" and the other kids can react to that "secret" in the manner appropriate to them.

Kenji may decide to cheer everyone up with a funny secret to contrast the heavy stuff that Edward dumped on them.

Would Sasha think it would be time to bring the rest of the group into her confidence over the file she has on the LeBlanc family and the LeBlanc method? She knows Marco knows she knows more than she lets on. And that was certainly a sentence. This might be the time to establish that they are a team. Then again there may be a better time for this later on down the line. Otherwise, maybe she shares something sufficiently serious and sobering.

If Julie decides after, to admit something deeper about herself, it's up to her, but she has friends now.

Plan Xarbala sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Plan Xarby

Julie: I have a crush on Marco
Everybody else: Tell us something we don't know :v: