Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricro
Dec 22, 2008
TV IV, never change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

precision posted:

I actually thought Joanna was going to be around a while because of the implications of her being from super rich Swiss Illuminati and possibly trying to breed the Antichrist/Jesus but I guess Esmail dropped that a long time ago

What implications are you referring to?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is this a real theory? How does that work at all? None of the FBI thinks it's weird that [actually Elliot] got immunity in exchange for spying on her brother Elliot? To say nothing about all the things Darlene was doing while Elliot was physically imprisoned during season 2. Why does such a large portion of the internet have the pasttime of coming up with the absolute dumbest show theories possible. I wish it was possible to talk about shows without having this inane poo poo come up all the time.

I don't really consider it a real theory, but as I said, something in the back of my mind while I watch the show. poo poo on it, I don't care, but consider this: for this particular show "unreliable narrator" is a heavily prevalent narrative device--the backbone of the story, maybe. Piggy-backing on the hacking theme, as well, the story seems to use cryptography on the narrative and nothing ever seems to be the whole truth. I'm not going to go dig through the thread, but saying "hey, I think Elliot's actually in jail" in the beginning of the last season could get you laughed at but it turned out to be true and there were clues hidden in how the scenes were presented. As well, the fact that you could fairly easily speculate that Tyrell was Elliot was a plot device for Elliot himself at the end of last season. Again, poo poo on it if you want, but it's part of the experience of the show; it's not like I'm flirting with the idea of Ross and Chandler being the same person.

A related, but different point: Elliot wrote in his journal last season that he told his counselor about being pushed out a window but in this episode she states that he has never expressed that to her. Two mutually exclusive story options.

The only thing that I am disappointed with so far this season is having no resolution to Mobley and Trenton getting tracked down by Leon at the end of last season.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 20, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I would seriously believe time travel, alternate realities, and actual sci-fi androids on this show before Darlene being another one of Elliot's personalities. Weren't you the guy who was fixated on this completely baseless theory back last year as well and just kept getting more and more fixated on it the more that everyone told you it was dumb?

Harping on a random far-fetched conjecture that's not only completely unsupported by the show but in fact outright contradicted by virtually every single scene involving those two characters is not actually intelligible speculation. The entire plot of this recent episode alone hinges on numerous characters seeing Elliot and Darlene as two different people.

To unironically compare that to Elliot's time in jail, which was a completely supportable theory given the information we had, just makes your deductive process even less credible. Heck, I would in fact like to see evidence of this threading mocking anyone who said Elliot might be in jail or an asylum during season 2 because I remember quite a number of people suggested that and no one was laughing them out of the thread or anything.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Sean posted:

I don't really consider it a real theory, but as I said, something in the back of my mind while I watch the show. poo poo on it, I don't care, but consider this: for this particular show "unreliable narrator" is a heavily prevalent narrative device--the backbone of the story, maybe. Piggy-backing on the hacking theme, as well, the story seems to use cryptography on the narrative and nothing ever seems to be the whole truth. I'm not going to go dig through the thread, but saying "hey, I think Elliot's actually in jail" in the beginning of the last season could get you laughed at but it turned out to be true and there were clues hidden in how the scenes were presented. As well, the fact that you could fairly easily speculate that Tyrell was Elliot was a plot device for Elliot himself at the end of last season. Again, poo poo on it if you want, but it's part of the experience of the show; it's not like I'm flirting with the idea of Ross and Chandler being the same person.

A related, but different point: Elliot wrote in his journal last season that he told his counselor about being pushed out a window but in this episode she states that he has never expressed that to her. Two mutually exclusive story options.

The only thing that I am disappointed with so far this season is having no resolution to Mobley and Trenton getting tracked down by Leon at the end of last season.

Dude, Darlene made a deal with the FBI to give information on Elliot. Darlene had a boyfriend. Darlene was doing a lot of stuff with a lot of people while Elliot was in jail last season. Come on, man, its really not on the same level as "elliot is actually in jail", cause that could be false but was never impossible

"Elliot is an unreliable narrator" != "anything and everything on this show may be in Elliot's head"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Alright, cool.

Any guesses as to who was behind the mask in the fsociety video this episode? It looked like a guy with a beard.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Elliot is working with the FBI to get evidence to convict Elliot. Of course, he's just bait for a bigger fish - the guy they're really after is Elliot.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Sean posted:

Any guesses as to who was behind the mask in the fsociety video this episode? It looked like a guy with a beard.

Mobley, at the Dark Army's behest.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

I'm not even convinced that what actually happened was his dad pushing him through a window, rather than that being a cover story his brain made up to protect him from a more horrible truth.

I was really hoping when he brought up the snowman to Darlene that she would say something like "that was the day of <some traumatic incident>" which would either confirm or deny whether Elliot's perception of the events of that day is accurate. But unfortunately she didn't get into it.

there's also the strange connection between Whiterose and Elliot's dad. It sounds like they knew each other - I wonder how exactly the three of them are tied together.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That DICK! posted:

Elliot is working with the FBI to get evidence to convict Elliot. Of course, he's just bait for a bigger fish - the guy they're really after is Elliot.

lol this is good

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

That DICK! posted:

Joking aside, based on the investigation board at the end of S2 Tyrell is actually the center of the investigation and is the biggest fish. The board does show that Darlene and Elliot have different ID numbers, though (so nobody has to say it, that makes sense).

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 20, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

I was really hoping when he brought up the snowman to Darlene that she would say something like "that was the day of <some traumatic incident>" which would either confirm or deny whether Elliot's perception of the events of that day is accurate. But unfortunately she didn't get into it.

I think the way she acted when he brought it up confirms it happened that way. She asked if he wanted to talk about it, which doesn't really imply it was a happy memory.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nickmeister posted:

What implications are you referring to?

Back in season 1, Tyrell's wife said some things about "being part of this family" that I thought could have been interpreted as her being from NWO Royalty and him being just a "regular guy", but as I said I think that was a dropped plot line.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

precision posted:

Back in season 1, Tyrell's wife said some things about "being part of this family" that I thought could have been interpreted as her being from NWO Royalty and him being just a "regular guy", but as I said I think that was a dropped plot line.

This is peak TVIV not getting obvious poo poo. She means her and the baby and him, not the new world order or whatever.

(Tbh I've come up with worse)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I like the "Elliot is Darlene" theory a lot because it means that Elliot takes ballet with Angela.

And if Elliot is Angela then that means Elliot takes ballet with Darlene.

But if he's both Angela and Darlene then that means he takes ballet alone and talks to himself while doing it.

And if it's all in his head then Elliot likes to imagine women doing ballet.

... poo poo, I think I got it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 20, 2017

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

DaveKap posted:

I like the "Elliot is Darlene" theory a lot because it means that Elliot takes ballet with Angela.

And if Elliot is Angela then that means Elliot takes ballet with Darlene.

But if he's both Angela and Darlene then that means he takes ballet alone and talks to himself while doing it.

And if it's all in his head then Elliot likes to imagine women doing ballet.

... poo poo, I think I got it.

Malkovich Malkovich?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

T-man posted:

This is peak TVIV not getting obvious poo poo. She means her and the baby and him, not the new world order or whatever.

I mean, yes, I knew that was a possibility too.

I can't even fathom the Elliot is Darlene theory at all

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've been rewatching season 2 because I didn't get a chance to do so before this season started, and I got to the scene where Darlene is banging that Dark Army toady on the dirty bathroom sink. I thought of the Darlene = Elliott theory and smiled.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Folks... Folks... Carcosa is just a tree!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

precision posted:

I mean, yes, I knew that was a possibility too.

I can't even fathom the Elliot is Darlene theory at all

GAH! Thinking of Elliott in those Darlene cutoffs.

GRA! Need brain bleach now!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Samizdata posted:

GAH! Thinking of Elliott in those Darlene cutoffs.

GRA! Need brain bleach now!

Mmmm. Thinking of Elliott in those Darlene cutoffs.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Welp, glad you have both hope and Vaseline then,

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

hope and vaseline posted:

Post/Username Combo is delicious.

Anyway. I've been re-watching the series as well, and I don't think Real Elliot's Dad was abusive, but him mom sure as poo poo was. The way she talks to him in the post-funeral scene is really loving brutal, and I think from the way the camera moves we're meant to think she left him there. Not to mention the one flashback/real-life mesh when he deals with Bill where she's basically screaming at him for having emotions.

Also, Bill is one of the people Elliot thinks of while in prison. I hope he gets to make amends at some point. :smith:

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

T-man posted:

Post/Username Combo is delicious.

Anyway. I've been re-watching the series as well, and I don't think Real Elliot's Dad was abusive, but him mom sure as poo poo was. The way she talks to him in the post-funeral scene is really loving brutal, and I think from the way the camera moves we're meant to think she left him there. Not to mention the one flashback/real-life mesh when he deals with Bill where she's basically screaming at him for having emotions.

Also, Bill is one of the people Elliot thinks of while in prison. I hope he gets to make amends at some point. :smith:

His reaction after pushing Elliot out the window in the flashback seems a bit different to the way he described it beforehand (in the flashback it seems like a genuine accident but IIRC when Elliot described it he said he was unrepentant).

Really on re-watch it kind of struck me how straight forward the actual 'plot' plot is. Once you know roughly what's real and what isn't.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

muscles like this! posted:

I think the way she acted when he brought it up confirms it happened that way. She asked if he wanted to talk about it, which doesn't really imply it was a happy memory.

Well obviously it isn't a happy memory, that's why I'm referring to it as a traumatic event. I'm just not fully convinced that event was "being pushed out of a window by my dad" rather than something worse.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Now that was an awesome episode. After that I'm 100% in after a iffy premiere.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Mr Robot 3.0 - B.D. Wong appreciation society

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

So let's see, Elliot and Darlene are the same person, Wong is actually two people one male and one female, Irving is a time traveler, Joanna and Tyrell are a part of the illuminati, and Mr. Robot is an actual person.

Mr. Robot created a time traveling machine in the future to come back in time to set in motion a series of events that will bring him back together with his son.

Using the hadron collider he and alternate reality female Wong, have managed to build a quantum computer that will allow him to exist in a state of flux between two realities, but can only appear to Elliot as an alternate personality because that is the only way for him to accept being able to speak with his father whom he thought had died.

The loneliness brought on by being orphaned, caused him to make an actual alternate identity in the form of a sister. Irving was an old hacking buddy of Mr. Robot who managed to jump realities, and into the future, to help Elliot with the eventual creation of the quantum computer. Angela is actually from the alternate reality, sent as a puppet master to guide Elliot.

This all makes sense now and makes this show the best thing on television.

Esmail is a prophet.

Edit: real talk, the show is really good, but this thread is basically the same thing as reading a Rick and Morty thread on Reddit.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 22, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
So all the rebbits on that episode were made 2 years ago. That's some good foreshadowing. https://www.reddit.com/r/inside_e_corp/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Don't forget that China wants the Congo really bad for some reason.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

TraderStav posted:

Don't forget that China wants the Congo really bad for some reason.

Probably because all the Coltan ore there.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

So all the rebbits on that episode were made 2 years ago. That's some good foreshadowing. https://www.reddit.com/r/inside_e_corp/

Holy poo poo that's loving nuts

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

BrianWilly posted:

Harping on a random far-fetched conjecture that's not only completely unsupported by the show but in fact outright contradicted by virtually every single scene involving those two characters is not actually intelligible speculation.

Quoted because it needs to be said every 5 loving posts, though it won't matter.

I'm really hoping most of these retarded theories are just troll posts and this whole thread is some kind of fyad out from the shadows operation to gently caress with fans of the show, or the show itself. Because holy poo poo.

Elliot is Darlene? Really? Wong is two people? Time travel? :psypop:

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

From one of the reddits:

"Our entire perception of reality is all but a simulation. Everything we see and know and touch and feel is an illusion. All facets of your life is nothing more than a digital construct in some future civilization’s computer simulation. You are basically a more boring (albeit high-res) version of The Sims. Or, if you want to get real trippy about it... As our future in this simulation continues along, we will have developed the computing power to run our own simulations, thus creating a simulation in a simulation. And maybe that’s what we are in all along anyway -- a simulation of someone who has no idea that they themselves are in a simulation. And your “mystery spots” can be explained away by a lack of processing power in the computer that is running our simulation -- either in the top level sim or the sim within the sim -- or perhaps even corrupt bits of code."

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I like how I was like "okay, but I'm seriously getting tired of this bitch", then she gets domed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

we did it, we found the one good use of Reddit ever

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

They modified the database directly. I think they missed a comment or two.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah, that was actually made a few weeks ago. Reddit modified the dates.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

In season 1 during the scene where Joanna has her baby, she says "He reminds me of her". And then goes on to talk about how she had a baby girl when she was 15 and gave it up for adoption, talking about the process and the adoptive parents. Maybe I'm reading too far into it, but it seemed too specific to just be there for character development. Could the girl be a character on the show? She'd be about 18-20 now I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Yeah, that was actually made a few weeks ago. Reddit modified the dates.

That isn't possible, and it it was it would be illegal.

• Locked thread