Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Did anybody else notice the page number

Alas, I'm but a youngling whose first Wintel machine was a 486 DX 33MHz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Drakhoran posted:

Nice, same. Made the jump over from the Amiga. Writing was on the wall for that system by that point unfortunately.

A friend had a 386 SX 25 though..

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

First Wintel was Win95 OSR2 on a K6, replacing a Macintosh I can't remember the model of (running System friggin 7, the best System) with a 68LC040.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Nice, same. Made the jump over from the Amiga. Writing was on the wall for that system by that point unfortunately.

A friend had a 386 SX 25 though..

A1200 -> 486DX2/66. Probably more realistic to phrase it as Dune2 -> C&C though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VostokProgram posted:

I had an AMD 386, the AM-386 SX 40.
A generous 40MHz clock, but no math coprocessor...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Posting on a still historically interesting page number.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
poo poo. My number won't come up until page 8086.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

I had an AMD 386, the AM-386 SX 40.
A generous 40MHz clock, but no math coprocessor...

It was good enough for Doom (at half resolution with the screen a little smaller).

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

bobfather posted:

poo poo. My number won't come up until page 8086.

Some of us are waiting for 68,000

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

VostokProgram posted:

Posting on the Math Co-Processor page.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

ohgodwhat posted:

Some of us are waiting for 68,000

Yeah, but what was your first Intel processor?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissCM posted:

It was good enough for Doom (at half resolution with the screen a little smaller).

It was good enough for Doom, especially if you weren't too bothered by a little slowdown.
I'm sure there are many good examples of slowdown, but I remember specifically the last level of Doom II; which was close to unplayable on it. A vicious circle: it was already chugging, so you struggled to do the level, which let the enemy spawner spawn more enemies, which made it chug even more, and so on.

You had to basically drop the screen to postage stamp size to have something resembling a playable frame rate.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Drakhoran posted:

I'm probably one of the youngest people here, the first computer I ever used was when my father brought home a Pentium III :ssh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

tight aspirations posted:

A1200 -> 486DX2/66. Probably more realistic to phrase it as Dune2 -> C&C though.

Nice, I had an OG A500, where the 68k and fat angus would actually pop out of their sockets if they got too hot.

It was a great machine anyway.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
We're well past page 64 :shepface:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
My first Intel processor was a Pentium 75MHz, which I assume is technically a 586 although the main difference that I know of vs. the 486 is superscalar architecture/pipelining and I'm not sure if that changes the actual ISA any.

First processor was the 6502 in the Apple IIe though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mine was a LASER branded (actually a Vtech) 486SX like this:

Was something like $4000 with a 15in monitor and frankly never usable 8Mb of ram. Youll just never use it. Its too much. Eventually added a SX2 CPU, Sound Blaster 16+Cd-Rom bundle, and even a S3 Virge graphics card (lol) before being replaced with a Pentium 166 MMX. Was a good rear end computer.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
First PC I built when I was like 8 was a 386/33 and it was baller. I had a 286, 80086 and other stuff before that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

my first pc was a pc jr. which i was operating when i was barely able to read, scrubs

you had to load dos off a 5.25 inch floppy every time you wanted to use it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

evilweasel posted:

my first pc was a pc jr. which i was operating when i was barely able to read, scrubs

you had to load dos off a 5.25 inch floppy every time you wanted to use it

Good choice.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My first computer was some 200mhz thing, as I recall.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
My first computer was some Gateway 486-DX50 that ran Doom, Heretic, Dark Forces, and X-Wing CD Edition (because yeah I guess it had a CD drive).

It was good enough.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
TRS-80 for me. Loaded/saved programs to cassette tape. 300 baud modem. Good times.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Commodore PC-10, an 8086 PC clone with dual 360k floppies, 640k RAM, CGA graphics, and no hard drive. Added a joystick card not long after we got it.

We held onto that for many, many years before eventually picking up a 486 just as the Pentiums were coming out. The 486 had the processor in a removable cartridge, and the idea was that as new ones came out, you could buy a new cartridge and swap it. Unfortunately, the company went out of business not long after, so nothing was ever available.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

My great-grandmother asked me what I wanted her to read to me. I asked her to read me the manual to our new Texas Instruments TI-99/4a.

I guess I have always been this way...

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
My first PC was 286, but the first computer I bought myself was a 386. I bought a used set of 386 CPU, motherboard and RAM and installed them in the 286. This was sometime after 1995, so I was 10+ years behind PC evolution at that point.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
My first PC was a Celeron 366 in 1999, not a great experience trying to use that as a gaming PC with integrated graphics featuring 4MB VRAM. The first PC I built was an Athlon 1.4GHz with a GeForce 3 in 2001, that was quite the upgrade.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

huge Anandtech Z370 motherboard round-up:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11860/z370-motherboards-asus-asrock-ecs-evga-biostar-msi-gigabyte

eames
May 9, 2009

How many goons are sporting Coffee Lake yet? Some retail overclocking results would be interesting.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Everything wrong with my life started when my parents bought a Packard Bell 386 SX from Sears.

Then I feel through the rabbit hole of 2400 baud modems, dialing into BBSes, downloading Doom 2 over a period of 3 days :filez:, upgrading to a 14.4kHz modem, spending a week downloading X-Wing that some guy emailed me, DWANGO Doom, and then being one of the first households to have a cable modem.

God admn you, computer. I coulda been a movie star or something :negative:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

eames posted:

How many goons are sporting Coffee Lake yet? Some retail overclocking results would be interesting.

I’d like to get an 8700k, any :canada: folks have opinions on who would be the best option to park an order?

mewse
May 2, 2006

priznat posted:

I’d like to get an 8700k, any :canada: folks have opinions on who would be the best option to park an order?

I'm eyeballing it too. Back ordering it on ncix is probably good

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mewse posted:

I'm eyeballing it too. Back ordering it on ncix is probably good

Yeah that’d be my most likely pick as there are local shops here for pickup too. I am debating what motherboard form factor to go with, mATX or mini ITX this time out.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

My 8600k is great and I'm glad I bought it instead of waiting for an 8700k

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Someone talk me out of buying a 7900X. I know I dont need it but for some reason I want it way more than I reasonably should.

(I do a lot of compiling Go and Virtual Machines / docker, so there's some justification, but I cant say my 5820k is exactly a slouch).

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A used 6950x is definitely cheaper and performs very similarly. Unless you can use AVX512 there's no reason to get a X299 system over buying a 6950X since you already have an X99 system if you only need 10 cores.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

craig588 posted:

A used 6950x is definitely cheaper and performs very similarly. Unless you can use AVX512 there's no reason to get a X299 system over buying a 6950X since you already have an X99 system if you only need 10 cores.

Well drat. A used 6950x is much more reasonably priced than I expected. Thanks; that makes this all much simpler.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I really think it's worth waiting till next summer to invest in something greater than 4 cores. Intel and AMD are battling hardcore right now and the only winners are nerds. This summer was the tipping point for major multiprocessor gains and first generation is a bitch to buy into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Walked posted:

Someone talk me out of buying a 7900X. I know I dont need it but for some reason I want it way more than I reasonably should.

(I do a lot of compiling Go and Virtual Machines / docker, so there's some justification, but I cant say my 5820k is exactly a slouch).

According to the reviews that I have seen a 7820x is a much better value than 7900x. A bit slower but quite a lot cheaper. But if you can keep the same platform (MB maybe?) and only buy the CPU then obviously a 69XXK becomes very attractive.