Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

enojy posted:

Good riddance IMO. I won't miss 13-year-olds calling me a f***** n******

Same. I haven't played with anyone I don't already know in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
just got a switch today, recommend me some cheap good indie games, goons

(already got golf story, it's 👍)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

psychoJ posted:

If you like Super Meat Boy, Slime-san is loving baller and deserves more love.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

dunno where you're putting the bar for "cheap" but Axiom Verge is good poo poo

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Takoluka posted:

I believe Persona 3 is responsible for reviving JRPGs in the West back when it came out. It was a huge deal.

TIL FF12 never existed

Also weird because I thought the "JRPGs died" mistaken idea usually referred to early HD era JRPGs we got in the west being underwhelming for a while, in which case you'd probably mean Persona 4, which also wasn't any sort of revival for JRPGs in the west

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't think that's obvious, or necessarily what Nintendo "wants". Nintendo wants to make money (although, frankly that's not always obvious either based on their behavior), and if they think there's a physical market for a particular title then they want to sell to that market.

The reality is that there's still a physical market for games. Not all of Nintendo's audience has the ability to download a 6+ GB game (Walmart still has better penetration than broadband) or to easily purchase an SD card for them.

I think it's clear is that Nintendo wants parity between their first party digital and physical releases. They want the user experience to be consistent between them, even down to the MSRP price. While Nintendo probably makes more profit off a digital sale, they don't want to cannibalize physical sales either since unsold inventory is also a problem, and so long as they are making physical releases they don't want to piss off their retailers.

Someday the market may be digital only, but it will probably come as an industry-wide shift and I'd expect Nintendo to be the holdout player.

Going fully-digital is not happening anytime soon (and I mean like in the next 20+ years), and both Sony and Nintendo know it. A good portion of the world doesn't have the kind of internet infrastructure and network bandwidth to pull down 20+GB games regularly for several million people simultaneously, and that's before dealing with issues like download caps.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

psychoJ posted:

Neo turf masters, golf story, lego worlds.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

The GOTY edition is only :20bux: on Steam right now.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, but I have a hard time playing longass games on my PC anymore. Especially after BOTW. The Switch is too good.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

"Hey I never heard of this Fire Emblem Warrior series, should I give it a try?"

"Oh it's just like a Musou game, baka san, shotacon seinen, video game mahou wakka wakka"

"What the gently caress are you talking about? Is it a shooter?"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

"Hey I never heard of this Fire Emblem Warrior series, should I give it a try?"

"Oh it's just like a Musou game, baka san, shotacon seinen, video game mahou wakka wakka"

"What the gently caress are you talking about? Is it a shooter?"

It's a game where you tap a button to kill a billion dudes and the main difficulty comes from managing where to send your mobile threshing machine to manage the flow of enemies.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

psychoJ posted:

Stardew, Blaster Master Zero, Fast Racing RMX.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a game where you tap a button to kill a billion dudes and the main difficulty comes from managing where to send your mobile threshing machine to manage the flow of enemies.

I know, I was just lampooning how every single time I see someone ask about Fire Emblem (including myself) on various sites, people respond with "it's a Musou game" as if that has any meaning at all.

"Hey, never heard of baseball? it's a sport game."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shovel Knight

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Going fully-digital is not happening anytime soon (and I mean like in the next 20+ years), and both Sony and Nintendo know it. A good portion of the world doesn't have the kind of internet infrastructure and network bandwidth to pull down 20+GB games regularly for several million people simultaneously, and that's before dealing with issues like download caps.

Not only that, data caps are still a thing. My internet speed is fine but I have a 200GB cap before they start charging me for 50GB blocks. Having to download a 20 or 30GB game (or two) could cost me an extra $15+ easily with the amount of streaming tv I do. So not only is physical cheaper to begin with, it could potentially be like $30-35 more expensive to go digital.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ventana posted:

TIL FF12 never existed

Also weird because I thought the "JRPGs died" mistaken idea usually referred to early HD era JRPGs we got in the west being underwhelming for a while, in which case you'd probably mean Persona 4, which also wasn't any sort of revival for JRPGs in the west

FF12 was extremely divisive at the time. People were still upset that FF11 was an MMO, and FF12 was just "putting that MMO real-time trash" in a single-player series that was traditionally turn-based. Don't get me wrong; I love it and think the Gambit system is great, but the general JRPG scene was not clamoring for it.

And no, I distinctly remember Persona 3 being the game that made people go "the JRPG is finally back."

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

psychoJ posted:

If by "cheap" you mean "stuff that's not a full-price $60 game":

Shovel Knight goes almost without saying, it's basically NES-era platforming but with 30 years of QOL improvements to make it less tooth-grindingly frustrating.

Axiom Verge is good if you liked Super Metroid but also don't come out of every Metroidvania game saying "well it's okay, but it's no Super Metroid". It's got good music and a similar blind exploration aesthetic, but kind of prioritizes "different weapons with different ranges/bullet patterns" as a gameplay mechanic, which may or may not appeal.

Sonic Mania: If you liked Sonic 2/3/& Knuckles, you'll probably like Mania. If you didn't, you probably won't. :shrug:

Steamworld Dig 2 is Steamworld Dig but a lot more of it and a lot more emphasis on interesting movement techniques beyond "don't accidentally gently caress yourself over by digging incorrectly". If you liked 1 you'll really like 2, and if you didn't like 1 you still might like 2 anyways because they improved the hell out of it.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is a very, very faithful remake of a Master Drive game, with all that implies for game design. Great art, great soundtrack, not much replay value.

Blaster Master 0, on the other hand, is a remake of Blaster Master but not quite so obsessed with being the same game as the original. Pretty good, and you can get different DLC characters with different abilities if that's up your alley.

Azure Striker GUNVOLT is by the same devs as Megaman Zero, and it shows. It's two games in one so if "MMZ devs" sold you on it already then that's probably all you need to know.

IMPLOSION is an isometric ARPG with really good controls, to the point that you wouldn't know it's a mobile port if someone didn't tell you that ahead of time. Pretty easy to get the hang of, decent replayability, and pretty satisfying from a hack and slash perspective.

Pankapu is decent little Trine-alike, even if it takes a little while to actually get the multiple skillsets going. Ends a little abruptly, but it's good enough imo that if the devs announced a sequel I'd pick it up sight unseen. It's got some "backtrack to older levels with new abilities" going on, but it's also got a world map and discrete levels that makes it easy to keep track of what you missed without needing to keep a guide handy.

Stardew Valley is...well, yeah. It's Harvest Moon, but good and on the switch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I know, I was just lampooning how every single time I see someone ask about Fire Emblem (including myself) on various sites, people respond with "it's a Musou game" as if that has any meaning at all.

"Hey, never heard of baseball? it's a sport game."

So why complain about it to us. "Musou" is the name of a series of games that has the same basic concept and spans multiple franchises. Dynasty Warriors is the main one.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

So why complain about it to us. "Musou" is the name of a series of games that has the same basic concept and spans multiple franchises. Dynasty Warriors is the main one.

Because if you don't know anything about the franchise why would the word Musou hold any meaning at all or explain anything at all?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Because if you don't know anything about the franchise why would the word Musou hold any meaning at all or explain anything at all?

Instead of complaining to us, you could ask the person you're talking to, who obviously knows what these games are and what they are like, and with whom you are already engaged in conversation.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

To be fair, the same could be said for Metroidvania, Roguelike, and other genres named after specific games.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What the gently caress is a game

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
All I know about musou games is that I can safely avoid them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

What the gently caress is a game

A miserable pile of secrets spoiled on GameFAQs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How is Cave Story? I've never played it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

It is very good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Good. Its kinda like the ur indie game tho so a lot of more recent stuff just does the same things better

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bongo Bill posted:

It is very good.

I know it's an old game. What is it? A platformer? RPG?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a story focused metroidy type shooter

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

It's an action-platformer with some light exploration elements and a story.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

It's an action platformer and is pretty much the very first success story for indie platformer games. It's good.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

What’s the best Switch rhythm game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LODGE NORTH posted:

Golf Story

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LODGE NORTH posted:

VOEZ and Deemo are free on mobile, so try them there and see which you like more.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Weird kinda style about it, like the first indie game that got popular because it was a free download on the internet and it has a lot of weird endings and secrets. Now there's a lot of good platformers with cool stories and are really high-concept, so I don't know if it's groundbreaking anymore, but it's a fun game

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a decent fairly-linear platformer (there are metroidvania aspects but by and large you'll progress from one area to the next as part of the plot with very little backtracking), but it's also pretty unforgiving:

- One of the mechanics is that you pick up XP from killing enemies to level up your weapons and do more damage, but taking damage makes you lose XP. Getting hit can quickly snowball into a "doing less damage, taking longer to kill enemies, getting hit more" cascade, especially during boss fights when there's not usually anything that you can kill quickly to restore XP.

- There are several endings, and the "better" ones tend to involve Sierra-style "oh you got to the end of the game but missed a thing an hour ago, guess you're going to have to play it again from scratch if you want to see a better ending" kind of gently caress-you deals.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game, but there are definitely design aspects of it that are questionable at best and horribly frustrating if you're only barely scraping by on the platforming skill requirement, only to realize you'll have to redo it all again with one minor change to progress the plot.

e: Also I'm pretty sure you can get it free for PC, and the only major changes are going to be "it's not on the switch" and "there's not a side story game mode" so you might want to at least check out the first 30-60 minutes and see if it's something you'd enjoy or not.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

true

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dont play any games yet just wait til mario so your switches first time can be special

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cave Story is def a grab-it-during-a-sale game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Speaking of Cave Story, I’m selling my copy if anyone is interested. Comes with a cool manual and CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Super Meat Boy confirmed for 2017. Actual SMB not SMB Forever!

https://twitter.com/SuperMeatBoy/status/920737681465688064

• Locked thread