Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vorlons are the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Vorlons ruin everything.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Vorlons ruin everything.

You are not ready for immortality.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Vorlons ruin everything.

It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

SeaQuest was my jam even if it was hokey as gently caress

When I was a kid I was certain Roy Scheider was the captain because he had been in Jaws, and therefore he knew about boat stuff more than the other actors.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

When I was a kid I was certain Roy Scheider was the captain because he had been in Jaws, and therefore he knew about boat stuff more than the other actors.

Checks out.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dark Distorted Mirror basically addressed this in the best way possible.

Now that I'm older I can see the sources it's stealing from but in middle school it was loving amazing. I reread it a decade ago and it was still very satisfying, despite recognizing the parts that are derivative.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Timby posted:

What the gently caress

Jonathan Taylor Thomas says, "Welcome to Tool Time -- An Unauthorized Biography"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Shbobdb posted:

Dark Distorted Mirror basically addressed this in the best way possible.

Now that I'm older I can see the sources it's stealing from but in middle school it was loving amazing. I reread it a decade ago and it was still very satisfying, despite recognizing the parts that are derivative.

Is that the B5 fic that grew out of something like 'what if the Minbari killed Sinclair at the Battle of the Line?'

I never finished it (I think I got through most of the 4th Volume). But I think it started really well and there are bits of it I remember fondly.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't recall clicking on this thread. I mean I have Enterprise running in a tab so maybe my brain is deteriorating.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't recall clicking on this thread. I mean I have Enterprise running in a tab so maybe my brain is deteriorating.

I've had threads that I've never clicked on show up in my bookmarks before.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Probably just mistapped, it's not like it's hard to miss using a Surface. Anyway I like that Penn and Teller were actual characters instead of some lame security guard number 1 on this! Sweet I was on topic good job me!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Milky Moor posted:

Your wife's not gonna believe that about URL's, why do you think we would about forum threads?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Si

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Duck and Cover posted:

There is a hole in your mind

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I remember it making Captain Dexter Smith a fairly major character which is certainly an interesting decision.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your wife's not gonna believe that about URL's, why do you think we would about forum threads?

Do I seem like someone who goes to Pet Island??

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Milky Moor posted:

Do I seem like someone who goes to Pet Island??

Morally Inept parachute account spotted, inform the Mods! :stonk:

Sorry, couldn't resist

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

There is a hole in your mind

Ohh poo poo an anomaly?! It's okay looks like Enterprise has those sphere's figured out. They wouldn't lie to the aquatic forms right?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 21, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Morally Inept parachute account spotted, inform the Mods! :stonk:

Sorry, couldn't resist

Neither could Morally Inept.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

hope and vaseline posted:

Space: Above and Beyond is what comes to mind.

drat you!

I loved the set design for Space Above and Beyond. Honestly, its first season was just as strong as B5's.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We watched A Call to Arms last night and, other than the music and being a pilot episode, it was way better than I thought I remembered. Turns out I hardly remembered it at all. It's totally decent and I like Galen a lot. I remember liking him in Crusade too, but I don't remember much else about it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That fuckin music though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah.... It's not the same show without Christopher Franke. It'd be like watching Star Wars without (at least someone vaguely emulating) John Williams. If it were in a similar vein maybe, but Chen was just way out there.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

We watched A Call to Arms last night and, other than the music and being a pilot episode, it was way better than I thought I remembered. Turns out I hardly remembered it at all. It's totally decent and I like Galen a lot. I remember liking him in Crusade too, but I don't remember much else about it.

My main memory of A Call To Arms is Galen talking to Sheridan in a dream-based hellscape. The converse at a fairly normal level, and the Galen ends the conversation by remembering to bring the ham and abruptly bellowing "REMEMBAH... WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN", ironically making that the most memorable part of the conversation.

Oh and also how much I dislike the design of the Excalibur.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dirty posted:

Give it a minute. :v:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dirty posted:

My main memory of A Call To Arms is Galen talking to Sheridan in a dream-based hellscape. The converse at a fairly normal level, and the Galen ends the conversation by remembering to bring the ham and abruptly bellowing "REMEMBAH... WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN", ironically making that the most memorable part of the conversation.

I don't remember ACTA at all, really, but my brain is wondering if you're referring to The Lost Tales with a similar exchange that I swear ends with a similar line from Galen.

quote:

It's ugly as sin. It doesn't look anything like what I'd expect some kind of ISA ship to look like, particularly one which was a joint EA/Minbari design.

I always remember thinking 'Destroyer-class White Star' was a really weird designation, as well.

The Warlock-class from that time period is ugly, too.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

I don't remember ACTA at all, really, but my brain is wondering if you're referring to The Lost Tales with a similar exchange that I swear ends with a similar line from Galen.
I'd completely forgotten that Galen does almost the exact same thing in TLT, but I'm pretty sure it's ACTA. They're on some flaming, ruined planet after a test of the planet-killer that's headed to Earth.

quote:

It's ugly as sin. It doesn't look anything like what I'd expect some kind of ISA ship to look like, particularly one which was a joint EA/Minbari design.
There are elements that I like. But it manages to be both enormous and barely-there. Long shots make it look like a fighter and close shots make it look like a skyscraper next to a train. It's big, spindly and almost invisible in all but the mid-point of a flyby. I really think all it needed was for the enormous wings to just be about 60% shorter. It would look meaner, the wings would complement the body and you wouldn't have to pull the camera back half a mile to get most of the thing in frame.

quote:

The Warlock-class from that time period is ugly, too.
I kind of liked the Warlock class. It wasn't pretty, but it looked like a step along the tech tree, keeping EAs "armoured wedge" feel minus the rotating section that I assume became unnecessary. It certainly didn't make me wince like the Excalibur does.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Excalibur's such an unmemorable design, I had to Google it just now to see exactly what it looked like. All I could remember was that it looked like a tripod light stand, and I was pretty much right. It doesn't fit with any of the previous B5 designs for Earth or the Minbari, either. Maybe if they'd taken the name literally and actually made it look more like a sword (with two 'crossguards' rather than three, and a longer 'hilt') it might have been better, but it's just a bland dark grey stick with wings, as if someone took the Liberator from Blake's 7 and stripped it of its distinctive detailing like the gun pods and the big glowing green ball.

I can't remember whether it was Gene Roddenberry or George Lucas who once said that an effective and memorable spaceship design is one that a child could draw with a few pencil strokes and it still be instantly recognisable, but whoever it was, the Excalibur would fail the test as there's nothing to it. On the other hand, my son can recognise a doodle of the Enterprise and tell me its name, and he's two.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
B5's back on in the UK from next Monday, the Freeview channel Pick TV is starting a complete run every weekday evening.

Mildly curious as to which version of The Gathering they're going with, or whether it's going to be 4:3 or 16:9.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It'll be the zoom and cropped 16:9 same as on Amazon I bet

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If I could draw in 3D, it's just three curved lines.

Personally, I think JMS had one good story in him. And it was a loving great one.

After that . . . ehhhh.

It's trying to be iconic without actually doing anything. The inkwell is dry.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I'll say that I spent about 15 minutes yesterday just reading B5 lore on the B5 wikia, and it really made me wish that there was more of that poo poo.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

If I could draw in 3D, it's just three curved lines.

Personally, I think JMS had one good story in him. And it was a loving great one.

After that . . . ehhhh.

It's trying to be iconic without actually doing anything. The inkwell is dry.

The same can be said of his inspiration/influence, JRR Tolkien.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm not sure I'd equate B5 with the Legendarium. Unless :thejoke: and you only like LoTRs for some strange reason.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Dirty posted:

I kind of liked the Warlock class. It wasn't pretty, but it looked like a step along the tech tree, keeping EAs "armoured wedge" feel minus the rotating section that I assume became unnecessary. It certainly didn't make me wince like the Excalibur does.

The rotating section was still there, it was just repurposed into missile batteries.

Which is a very EA thing to do, since I seem to recall that in the background stuff Earth's big Thing was supposed to be being really good at building nuclear missiles and being willing to build fucktons of them.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of Star Control.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'll always wonder if JMS should have gone the prequel route and mined the Dilgar War for one of his post-B5 projects. Imagine a movie/series/mini-series all about the EA going around nuking the poo poo out of Space Nazi cats...

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Yeah, the fact that we never got a Dilgar War miniseries/TV movie is disappointing. They could've done a lot with that but went with the Lost Tales/Legend of the Rangers nonsense instead.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Polaron posted:

The rotating section was still there, it was just repurposed into missile batteries.

Which is a very EA thing to do, since I seem to recall that in the background stuff Earth's big Thing was supposed to be being really good at building nuclear missiles and being willing to build fucktons of them.

Are you sure? It doesn't look anything like a rotating section, and I don't think it rotates on-screen.

I like that the missiles seem to have flat noses. No need for a nosecone in space, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It doesn't rotate.