Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

TMMadman posted:

those kind of D1 'cases' almost always seem to benefit scum more than town.

Explain this statement, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Thranguy posted:

##unvote

Not quite buying any of the cases out there enough to pick a side yet though.

Have you played d1 before? If you are looking for a well reasoned case with backing D1, I don't know what to tell you.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Grandicap posted:

Have you played d1 before? If you are looking for a well reasoned case with backing D1, I don't know what to tell you.

Fair enough. But I don't have strong gut feelings either yet, and there's a lot of day left.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Has everyone checked in yet?

I have a day action I want to use

But I can only use it once everyone has posted

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Infinitum posted:

Has everyone checked in yet?

I have a day action I want to use

But I can only use it once everyone has posted

Pretty sure answer is yes.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If anyone thinks the case on Hal isn't good enough yet, please look back through my post history to try and work out where it's "full of town reads" like Hal claims. (Like did he just skim through and count even the "if town" jokepost about Probst? Lol) I just can't read him as putting any genuine effort or belief into that case. Also, who am I discrediting, and how? Does he mean AC, who I've backed off of once she appeared to immediately own a genuine misunderstanding once she actually understood it?

I got to give Hal credit for creativity, though. Guess he knows he's not ever gonna out-argue me about any of my actual content so he tried to bypass that entirely, by arguing I was already scummy just by the nature of who I was replacing. Too bad that didn't catch on fast enough though, now he's got to move on to blindly asserting how he's got all these better reasons now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Maybe he counted the couple of posts where I said I liked Asiina and Grandi trying to get things started by casing Hal. That could count as a town read if you really totally stretch it, right? Funny though how pointing that out is like the exact opposite of "discrediting" someone, I love how he just gives this vague summary that means I'm damned if I do criticise anybody ever but also if I don't, and instead say anything nice and good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bif your case here is strong but man you go after hal a lot

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

If anyone thinks the case on Hal isn't good enough yet, please look back through my post history to try and work out where it's "full of town reads" like Hal claims. (Like did he just skim through and count even the "if town" jokepost about Probst? Lol) I just can't read him as putting any genuine effort or belief into that case. Also, who am I discrediting, and how? Does he mean AC, who I've backed off of once she appeared to immediately own a genuine misunderstanding once she actually understood it?

I got to give Hal credit for creativity, though. Guess he knows he's not ever gonna out-argue me about any of my actual content so he tried to bypass that entirely, by arguing I was already scummy just by the nature of who I was replacing. Too bad that didn't catch on fast enough though, now he's got to move on to blindly asserting how he's got all these better reasons now.

##vote Hal

I have to agree, except for the "who am I discrediting" bit. He clearly says that you're discrediting him but that's what you do when you think someone's scum. You've only done that to the people you've dug into as people-you-think-are-scum, so that's consistent- and a scummy thing to try to call out! I Do Not Like "hey look at this other game" cases, and this one was especially vague and the only direct example of "scum" play was SK? SKs don't have the same tells to look out for. I agree that the casing, when taken as a whole, is scumbo central.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Guess what bif when I said that in that post originally it was much earlier in the game and I feel like my interpretation of your posts until that point was perfectly valid. You can say your town calls are jokes or whatever but that’s still up for interpretation by us, the other players.

It’s also nonsense that it’s contradictory to say your posts have town calls and also work to discredit people. In what world are those mutually exclusive? It’s not like I’m saying the same post is both things. There is no dichotomy that says if this person is making town reads they cannot in other posts be discrediting people. Like how can you even claim that.

I voted you originally on a gut feel on Jam but the way you cannot handle the fact that you got a few votes on early D1 and now cannot do anything but insult me with your word vomit is just making me dig in harder

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

##vote Hal

I have to agree, except for the "who am I discrediting" bit. He clearly says that you're discrediting him but that's what you do when you think someone's scum. You've only done that to the people you've dug into as people-you-think-are-scum, so that's consistent- and a scummy thing to try to call out! I Do Not Like "hey look at this other game" cases, and this one was especially vague and the only direct example of "scum" play was SK? SKs don't have the same tells to look out for. I agree that the casing, when taken as a whole, is scumbo central.

This misses my basic point which was regardless if I can provide a “recent example” I was basing it on what I know of Jam from personal conversations with him and also having played with him many times in the past. The SK example was a little silly but in its own way still somewhat valid. And I’ve long since moved past that as the basis for my case and pretending otherwise is willfully ignoring that fact. That was merely my reasoning for the vote that existed prior to bif providing content.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Bif, I’ll gladly vote myself out if you can provide an example of any game EVER was I was scum and my D1 play was to make an unpopular case and then get into a long and vocal argument about it drawing attention to myself. Surely you can do that right?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

Bif, I’ll gladly vote myself out if you can provide an example of any game EVER was I was scum and my D1 play was to make an unpopular case and then get into a long and vocal argument about it drawing attention to myself. Surely you can do that right?

I’m sure you have at least 100 games I was scum in to choose from so this should be a slam dunk for you

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

apostateCourier posted:

Explain this statement, please.

Big slap fights on D1, regardless of whether they are between town/town or town/scum, provide a lot of cover for scum (the other scum in the case of a town/scum fight) because they can either stoke the fire and make the entire day drag or they can just sit on the sidelines and watch without ever really drawing heat.

So I think it's a good thing that you and Bif got into a bit of a slap fight because it provides content and reads, but I'm also glad that both of you back away from the ledge and didn't turn it into something that lasted the entire game day.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

TMMadman posted:

Big slap fights on D1, regardless of whether they are between town/town, town/scum, provide a lot of cover for scum (the other scum in the case of a town/scum fight) because they can either stoke the fire and make the entire day drag or they can just sit on the sidelines and watch without ever really drawing heat.

So I think it's a good thing that you and Bif got into a bit of a slap fight because it provides content and reads, but I'm also glad that both of you back away from the ledge and didn't turn it into something that lasted the entire game day.

Sadly it transitioned into a different slap fight

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Guess what bif when I said that in that post originally it was much earlier in the game and I feel like my interpretation of your posts until that point was perfectly valid.

uhhhh

No it wasn't that much earlier, what all has happened since then

quote:

It’s also nonsense that it’s contradictory to say your posts have town calls and also work to discredit people. In what world are those mutually exclusive? It’s not like I’m saying the same post is both things. There is no dichotomy that says if this person is making town reads they cannot in other posts be discrediting people. Like how can you even claim that.

I'm talking about the overall summary, like I just mentioned in my last posts. You can't even bring yourself to quote any specific examples, you're just making this blanket statement that my posts are "full of" these things that conveniently bracket the whole range of all known Mafia opinions once you decide to frame it that way. Say anything negative or critical? Discrediting. Say anything positive, or hell, even just saying hello to another player and joking about how you're townier than them? Town read, apparently.

quote:

I voted you originally on a gut feel on Jam but the way you cannot handle the fact that you got a few votes on early D1 and now cannot do anything but insult me with your word vomit is just making me dig in harder

Lol you think this is bad, this is why I keep catching you scums, even when I go to the effort of trying to be whimsical and flowery with baklava metaphors instead of just cursing you out or something you just can't resist running for the same tired old play of "oh no look at Bif being so meeeeean and not making sense with the big wall of posts" this is nothing dude

Hal Incandenza posted:

Nope cause you lurk a lot, congrats on working to change that this game, sorry you don't got the hang of it yet

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sorry we have different playstyles bif, but I play by reading tone and intent because I find that quotes are mostly worthless because people interpret them differently. I can go back and quote the stuff you said but you already addressed it anyway. And other people have agreed that you are discrediting but they say that it's ok if you are doing that to discredit who you think is scum. So my points are already validated but people see them different ways. I didn't make any of that up.

I'm not interested nor will I get any enjoyment out of engaging you with your condescending and smug posts so I'm not going to keep going down that road with you. If you want to continue to push to get me out of the game keep at it. I will continue to provide my opinions of you and other people as long as I am alive but I'm not going to be baited by you. You are like the Donald Trump of Mafia. I don't mean any of this as an insult because I like you and playing in games with you but when you get like this its not fun for me and probably not helping anyone else enjoy the game.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

That may have some out more rude than I intended, I’m cranky this morning and just not into belligerent-style mafia today but I stand by my main points

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah. No kidding.

I am getting really drat sick of being told that calling scums scummy is apparently ruining the game for everyone.

Especially from someone who throws out "Donald Trump of Mafia" while trying to play it like I'm the one being more insulting.

Not much more to say here at least.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah. No kidding.

I am getting really drat sick of being told that calling scums scummy is apparently ruining the game for everyone.

Especially from someone who throws out "Donald Trump of Mafia" while trying to play it like I'm the one being more insulting.

Not much more to say here at least.

Well I didn’t mean you were like evil like Donald Trump just that your posting often comes off like a personal attack when all I’m doing is just offering opinions on how I see your posting.

It’s totally fine to call people scummy who you think are being scummy. You just (to me) also give off the impression that you think the other person is just a complete idiot who can’t keep up with your dazzling abilities. You certainly aren’t the only one who does this though, you are just more vocal than most.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Well I didn’t mean you were like evil like Donald Trump just that your posting often comes off like a personal attack when all I’m doing is just offering opinions on how I see your posting.

It’s totally fine to call people scummy who you think are being scummy. You just (to me) also give off the impression that you think the other person is just a complete idiot who can’t keep up with your dazzling abilities.

I know, right? Forget the "evil" bit, trash talk is an art form and here you go comparing my work to some rear end in a top hat who just keeps retweeting "FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS, SAD!" that's seriously the lowest thing I think anyone's ever said to me in this lying game for liars.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I humbly apologize Bifauxnen

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ugggggh see that just makes it even more awkward it's more fun to at least keep rageposting or something gently caress let's just pretend this page never happened

Except for the bit where AC voted you haha

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I just want to get to the part where infi tells us how he didn’t really have an action

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hal Incandenza posted:

I just want to get to the part where infi tells us how he didn’t really have an action

Yeah, I want to see what that was about too.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I no longer think Hal is a scum.

##unvote

Hal is my darling love and I know him and his responses over the last page or so do not seem scummy to me at all.

I think this his original vote was bad and I don't like how he was hesitant to make a call, but now that he is the logic is following through.

Also the Donald Trump comparison is kinda apt, sorry Bif.

It's not just that you disagree with someone it's that if you believe you are on opposite sides they therefore are an idiot moron who deserves ridicule and personal slights against them.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also FL hasn't checked in so Inf can't do his fake day action rip.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asiina posted:

I no longer think Hal is a scum.

##unvote

Hal is my darling love and I know him and his responses over the last page or so do not seem scummy to me at all.

I think this his original vote was bad and I don't like how he was hesitant to make a call, but now that he is the logic is following through.

Also the Donald Trump comparison is kinda apt, sorry Bif.

It's not just that you disagree with someone it's that if you believe you are on opposite sides they therefore are an idiot moron who deserves ridicule and personal slights against them.

Hey for real, you saw how fast I did an about face on AC? That's what happens when I actually see any evidence I'm mistaken, or that someone is actually engaging in good faith with me and making an effort instead of refusing to read and just blowing me off.

If you can read over my post history now while it's still barely over 1 page and honestly see Hal's point about my posts in this game having "no substance" because theyre "full of discrediting people and town reads" and still say that's a genuine case, or if you can buy his story that it was at least true when he first made that post which has suddenly become ages and ages ago on the game, well, I can't say I think you're scum with him so maybe if you do a good enough job selling Hal's pure innocence here I'll start thinking it's you instead.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Asiina posted:

Also FL hasn't checked in so Inf can't do his fake day action rip.

But I do have a day action

Like everyone has a day action

Observe, my day action
##vote Hal

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Haha nice

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also would vote FL just so we don't have to deal with another sub-in dumb rear end case of "Would FL sub out as scum"

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Also would vote FL just so we don't have to deal with another sub-in dumb rear end case of "Would FL sub out as scum"

Whatever. I have said the whole time my initial vote for that reasoning was weak but the reaction since is what I’m basing my continued vote on. It’s not frustrating or anything that I keep having to say that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

let us get back on track

and vote out the piece of poo poo that deserves to be hanged

##vote thranguy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Imma be off the air for a bit due to bday festivities :boonie:

Birthday isn't until Tuesday, but it's weekend and time for a pint or five

Shouuuuullllld be back for lynch

Happy to vote
- aposte - Having a fit over 3 votes
- Hal - Weird posturing
- FL - No show

Max
Nov 30, 2002

:siren: Mags replaces FL :siren:

Max fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 22, 2017

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Hi I just replaced in, I’m at work and will be posting when I get off tonight

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. F! posted:

Hi I just replaced in, I’m at work and will be posting when I get off tonight

explain you're self

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Would FL sub out as scum?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Too many town reads, would vote Mags

seriously though Hal, it's one thing to say quotes aren't your style, but if you're gonna argue I'm scummy for making too many townreads, can you even say what my townreads are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i get what hal means because i scumhunt the same way in looking for the why in when players post rather than the what. but i dont follow the rest of hal's argument.

• Locked thread