Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

adhuin posted:

Please go and purchase everything between 101-150, so rest of us can get them discounted faster. TYA.

Well I WOULD, but you know...Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

adhuin posted:

Please go and purchase everything between 101-150, so rest of us can get them discounted faster. TYA.

Haha, well that will be awhile, there are so ma.... oh my God I'm only missing 6 of them :stare:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wasn't missing any :smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

65 days left in the Capaldi era.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

And only like 1 hour in those 65 days too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
poo poo, I'd better get started on a big rewatch leading up to the finale soon. Might as well start back at The Empty Child, since it's the end of the Moffat era too...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

2house2fly posted:

poo poo, I'd better get started on a big rewatch leading up to the finale soon. Might as well start back at The Empty Child The Curse of Fatal Death, since it's the end of the Moffat era too...

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

I saw this on my Twitter sidebar and my first thought was "He finally gave Power Of The Daleks back?"

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Fil5000 posted:

It would have been fun but Lowe was pretty much perfect. I don't know if Pertwee could have had the interplay with Le Mesurier (specifically Mainwaring's massive inferiority complex) that made the character really work.

Yes, and the fact that Wilson literally looks down on him due to his size works so perfectly for that character dynamic, it's all just fuel for Mainwaring's simmering resentment at being out-classed on every level by an inferior officer. The gag wouldn't have worked with Pertwee for obvious reasons.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mugabe, still an objectively better influence on the Who fandom than Ian

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I would love it if mugabe found and returned exactly one more lost episode than Levine did.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

I would love it if mugabe found and returned exactly one more lost episode than Levine did.

Funnily enough, the news had this to say about the Mugabe deal:

quote:

Iain Levine, deputy executive director for programmes at Human Rights Watch, said on Twitter: “Given Mugabe’s appalling human rights record, calling him a goodwill ambassador for anything embarrasses WHO and Dr Tedros.”

No, Iain is not Ian. But this line did cause at least one of my eyebrows to rise, before I figured out what was going on.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Hey, I never really got into the Big Finish thing. Any tips for some good ones to start off with?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

corn in the bible posted:

Hey, I never really got into the Big Finish thing. Any tips for some good ones to start off with?

Spare Parts, Storm Warning/Chimes of Midnight are the usual ones to start with

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CommonShore posted:

Counterpoint: 65 days left until the Whittaker era :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:siren: Last Minute Big Finish Sale :siren:

Only 2 hours left to get 10% off everything at Big Finish with code MROCT2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Spare Parts, Storm Warning/Chimes of Midnight are the usual ones to start with

I will check those out. Any good McCoy stuff? I always liked him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

Counterpoint: 65 days left until the Whittaker era :)

Maybe. We're going to get one line of dialogue and then nothing for more months. I'm going to look at the period after the Christmas special but before her first full episode as an Interdoctum.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, last I read they aren't targeting season 11 to start airing until autumn 2018, so it'll be a long wait.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I liked Colditz (which also features pre-Doctor Who David Tennant), Red (100 mins of McCoy saying "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred!"), and Night Thoughts (adapted from an unused TV story).

Start with whatever you find interesting; the stories are mostly stand-alone though there are arcs in some of them. I'd also recommend Light at the End, Big Finish's very fun, but nonsense 50th anniversay special - as a good smorgasbord of how the doctors act.

There's also some pretty good pure historicals in there too, for a nice change of pace.

[e]: Echoing MrL_JaKiri, though, they are pretty good stories.
[e2]: gently caress, also check out Davros. Terry Malloy is loving amazing.
"I will not press this switch! I will not cower! I will not die! I WILL NOT DIE! THIS IS NOT THE END - THIS IS ONLY - THE BEGINNING!"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 21, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

[e2]: gently caress, also check out Davros. Terry Malloy is loving amazing.
"I will not press this switch! I will not cower! I will not die! I WILL NOT DIE! THIS IS NOT THE END - THIS IS ONLY - THE BEGINNING!"

This introduction is pretty much what convinced me that I needed to start listening to Big Finish stuff in earnest.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Harvest is ace. It's written by Dan Abnett and introduces Hex, a recurring companion for 7, and is generally a cool and good story.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fil5000 posted:

The Harvest is ace. It's written by Dan Abnett and introduces Hex, a recurring companion for 7, and is generally a cool and good story.

I was a little disappointed by the ultimate revelation/resolution of the story "psyche, of course it was all just a plot by the Cybermen to set up a conversion factory!" is a lot less interesting than the previously set up possibility that maybe some of them want to "deconvert" and reclaim their humanity but yeah, the first three parts are absolutely brilliant.

McCoy's first BF, The Fearmonger, is also really good just for how much it feels like they've just come off the set of Survival without missing a beat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's incredibly early in Big Finish's run, but I have a real softspot for The Fearmonger which feels like it comes directly out of the McCoy television era. I could easily have seen it being an episode in Season 27 if the show hadn't been canceledput on hiatus.

Box of Bunnies posted:

McCoy's first BF, The Fearmonger, is also really good just for how much it feels like they've just come off the set of Survival without missing a beat.

:hfive:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Timby posted:

Yeah, last I read they aren't targeting season 11 to start airing until autumn 2018, so it'll be a long wait.

are you loving kidding me

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chokes McGee posted:

are you loving kidding me

They don't even start shooting until January.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm glad I have other shows to kill the time between Series (Ducktales, Rebels, various obscure anime, etc)

Even if binge watching/reading can be done in a matter of days, leaving me once again waiting for weekly releases like the rest of the viewers...

Really need to start managing my time better

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

I will take this opportunity to trot out my Spoiler-Free Early BF Continuity Guide so you'll know which audios are intended to be part of an ongoing story, if there are any monsters you'd like to show up or sequels to TV serials.

I should really start to build it out into a "if you like [x] start with [y]" guide, where x can be various styles or specific stories.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/21/bbc-loses-plot-offer-busy-viewers-drama-without-commitment/

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In years to come nobody will watch TV any more, they'll just have the memory of watching TV injected into their brain

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

In years to come nobody will watch TV any more, they'll just have the memory of watching TV injected into their brain

You'll be able to buy it at a local street vendor in the form of a patch, until one day a long streak of.... nothing (alien nothing!) wanders in and tells them all to shut it down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What a godawful idea. Don’t pander to people who can’t be bothered to invest some time in something.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So those two-to-five-minute videos of key elements from thousands of movies and shows people upload to YouTube aren't enough?

Alternatively, one could do something like read a Wiki or Trope page for a subject to catch up with it
Those are usually fairly well done

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

So those two-to-five-minute videos of key elements from thousands of movies and shows people upload to YouTube aren't enough?

Alternatively, one could do something like read a Wiki or Trope page for a subject to catch up with it
Those are usually fairly well done

This initiative smacks of someone seeing those youtube clips and wiki/trope synopses and thinking that it's a good idea to just make those and cut out the middle man.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

This initiative smacks of someone seeing those youtube clips and wiki/trope synopses and thinking that it's a good idea to just make those and cut out the middle man.

I am well aware that reading something isn't the same as watching or playing something - it's why I don't mind spoilers like other people
If anything, I'm of the mindset that such videos need the other 42 minutes of the episode to be experienced correctly

Kinda like when people give characters like Clara and Rose flak just because of two or three scenes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This is a really weird background detail for a dystopian Who episode that's probably about losing our grip on the things in human society worth enjoying.

It might be a McCoy-era standalone story that actually holds up well. If it's a revival episode I don't picture any specific Doctor, but it's either got the Daleks orchestrating it or the Cybermen as an outside threat. Dalek version of the story is kinda crap but has some good moments, Cyberman version is weird and unbalanced but ultimately pretty decent. Both versions' previews spoil the monster, and overfocus on them to the exclusion of most of the setting.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Three companions for Thirteen:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/922214897013985281

Including Bradley Walsh, as talked about earlier

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

This makes me sad because it means law and order UK is truly dead

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

This makes me sad because it means law and order UK is truly dead

they could make L&O in the year long gaps between dr who's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Three companions for Thirteen:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/922214897013985281

Including Bradley Walsh, as talked about earlier

And actress/singe Sharon D Clarke in a reoccurring role.

• Locked thread