Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The trolley problem has always annoyed me (I'm just bored about going through the same conversation about it over and over again) so this episode really messing around and playing with it made me really happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jason and Tahani make such a perfect couple

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Jason seeing the pikachu balloon, losing his mind, and then immediately popping it was a loving incredible gag.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm Eleanor really wanting to hi-five Michael over that "like the blood was all over him" bit.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think so; I thought she might not remember that because of the resets, but it seems like she retained something.

Nah, she's just independently developing attraction for him again. All the reboots have been depicted as total resets, which is important because it means things keep playing out the same way not because of prior knowledge, but because of their personalities.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

blue squares posted:

there are literally 2 other humans in her entire universe

Yes, and that's about the only reason she's sleeping with him repeatedly. That alone isn't going to make her change her personality and personal views over night though. They could be the only two humans there and she'd probably still be self-conscious just because Michael could judge her. Or even if they were deserted on an island together and she knew with a certainty that no-one else was ever going to see or know them, she'd probably continue to be self-conscious for at least a time just because her actions don't fit her self image. That poo poo takes time.

PantsBandit posted:

Jason seeing the pikachu balloon, losing his mind, and then immediately popping it was a loving incredible gag.

Joke of the episode to me was Chidi deciding he couldn't break the hypocratic oath and saying so in a very firm manner, only for Michael to immediately say "okay, tell that to their families", clicking his fingers and suddenly there's a load of strangers staring at Chidi as he stands there going "WHAT!". Michael is such a magnificent bastard.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tsob posted:

Joke of the episode to me was Chidi deciding he couldn't break the hypocratic oath and saying so in a very firm manner, only for Michael to immediately say "okay, tell that to their families", clicking his fingers and suddenly there's a load of strangers staring at Chidi as he stands there going "WHAT!". Michael is such a magnificent bastard.

"Doctor Chidi, my daddy needed a heart transplant. Did you save his life? He was working then a really bad man ran him over with a trolley."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh gently caress. I spent most of my twenties as a professional baguette thief to feed my family. Am I going to the bad place? :ohdear:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Oh gently caress. I spent most of my twenties as a professional baguette thief to feed my family. Am I going to the bad place? :ohdear:

Are you French? That's a very important factor.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"Doctor Chidi, my daddy needed a heart transplant. Did you save his life? He was working then a really bad man ran him over with a trolley."
That was such a great joke. And a hilarious episode in general.

Also nice to see the trolley problem stated correctly after Kimmy Schmidt got it wrong. :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Hydronium posted:

That was such a great joke. And a hilarious episode in general.

Also nice to see the trolley problem stated correctly after Kimmy Schmidt got it wrong. :v:

How the gently caress do you get the trolley problem wrong?

It's not Schrodinger's loving cat.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Basically (as I recall) they stated it as "you have to steer a trolley to kill one person or five", missing the part - and the whole point of the dilemma - that the five are killed through inaction.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 21, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
"There's a cat driving a trolley. The windows of the trolley are blacked out so no one can see in, but the cat can see out using a video screen. There's a vial of poison in the trolley that breaks at a random time. Since we can't see into the trolley, the cat is both alive and dead right up until it pulls a lever to divert the path of the trolley onto a track with only one person on it. If it does not pull the lever, the 5 people on the track ahead will die. 5 people die, either the cat was dead, or it's a dick. It's impossible to tell. So the 5 people are in a quantum state of having been killed through inaction and in a freak accident until we open the trolley and observe whether the cat was dead at the time."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Lord Hydronium posted:

Basically they stated it as "you have to steer a trolley to kill one person or five", missing the part (and the whole point of the dilemma) that the five are killed through inaction.

But you're the driver. This seems like a cop-out. It seems like the role of 'driver' entails responsibility. If you're driving a car and a bunch of kids run into the road, can you just take your hands off the wheel and cover your eyes? Why is it different with a trolley?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

But you're the driver. This seems like a cop-out. It seems like the role of 'driver' entails responsibility. If you're driving a car and a bunch of kids run into the road, can you just take your hands off the wheel and cover your eyes? Why is it different with a trolley?

Well, it's a though experiment. If you want to change it to "a bunch of kids run into the road", then the experiment would be "but there are 20 babies in strollers on each side of of the road. So your choices are do nothing and hit the children, or swerve onto the sidewalk and kill 20 infants.

You didn't choose to run over children, they ran in front of the bus, but if you avoid them, you are making a conscious choice to kill 20 babies.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A podcast the other day said that 90% of people surveyed said they would throw the switch and kill 1 person.

BUT if you pose it as "You're outside the trolley watching it barrel down the tracks at the 5 people. There's someone in front of you. You are 100% certain if you push that person in front of the trolley, their body will cause it to stop and save the 5 people." Then 90% would let the trolley kill the 5 people.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

A podcast the other day said that 90% of people surveyed said they would throw the switch and kill 1 person.

BUT if you pose it as "You're outside the trolley watching it barrel down the tracks at the 5 people. There's someone in front of you. You are 100% certain if you push that person in front of the trolley, their body will cause it to stop and save the 5 people." Then 90% would let the trolley kill the 5 people.

That's a terrible way to phrase it, because it kind of implies you could sacrifice yourself to stop the trolley, which would be the most ethical option.

So now imagine that you're the trolley driver, and you've decided not to flip the switch, but then 5 more people throw themselves in front of the trolley in a horribly misguided attempt to stop it and you kill a total of 10 people and feel extra bad about your lovely choice.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Snak posted:

"There's a cat driving a trolley. The windows of the trolley are blacked out so no one can see in, but the cat can see out using a video screen. There's a vial of poison in the trolley that breaks at a random time. Since we can't see into the trolley, the cat is both alive and dead right up until it pulls a lever to divert the path of the trolley onto a track with only one person on it. If it does not pull the lever, the 5 people on the track ahead will die. 5 people die, either the cat was dead, or it's a dick. It's impossible to tell. So the 5 people are in a quantum state of having been killed through inaction and in a freak accident until we open the trolley and observe whether the cat was dead at the time."
But does the cat still have enough points to go to the Good Place?

(Speaking of which, was this episode the first confirmation we had that the points system actually works roughly the way it was described in S1?)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The world is garbage and so letting 5 people receive the sweet release of death is the option that inflicts maximal good on the greatest number of people, which makes it the most ethical option.

Additionally, any given group of five people is almost guaranteed to have a colossal rear end in a top hat in it, so killing the five people probably maximizes good for society at large as well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IME if people are working around rails and aren't looking out for approaching equipment then their blood is on the hands of whoever hosed up their safety training.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Accretionist posted:

Uh, being the driver of a trolley isn't anything like being the driver of a car, where you can just drive anywhere you want. Trolleys run on a track, the driver's only option is to do nothing or to hit the button that puts the trolley on the other track. Did you even watch the episode?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lord Hydronium posted:

(Speaking of which, was this episode the first confirmation we had that the points system actually works roughly the way it was described in S1?)

When did they confirm that? I must have missed it.
I liked how, intentionally or not, Michael made Chidi face his own inability to act on moral quandaries in practice.
That's certainly gotta be relevant, considering that everything in season 1 was relevant to the overall narrative.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

In the conversation about Michael's essay on Les Miserables, Michael talked about the points you lose for stealing bread/being French.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lord Hydronium posted:

Cats canonically refuse to take part in the Good Place/Bad Place system. :eng101:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Snak posted:

No. The cat always pulls the lever, even if just during its death throes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

The world is garbage and so letting 5 people receive the sweet release of death is the option that inflicts maximal good on the greatest number of people, which makes it the most ethical option.

Additionally, any given group of five people is almost guaranteed to have a colossal rear end in a top hat in it, so killing the five people probably maximizes good for society at large as well.

I believe this is the 'multi-track drifting' argument.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Michael gave the correct answer.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The writers def knew the traditional trolley problem had you as a bystander instead of the driver, but they changed it so Chidi could be splashed with gore.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Lord Hydronium posted:

This episode had Michael saying, again, with his mouth, the points system works the way he described in Season 1. Michael has lied to the four (and us) for the equivalent of eons. This exact episode hinges on him lying to the core 4 multiple times and in multiple ways.

So, if you think Michael is telling the truth, sure, it’s confirmed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are we gonna get this same “but Michael could be lying about ANYTHING!!!!” thing every week? The points system is for sure real.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Memory's hazy.

Is it possible there is no good place?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Escobarbarian posted:

Are we gonna get this same “but Michael could be lying about ANYTHING!!!!” thing every week? The points system is for sure real.

Well, I’ll keep saying it as long as the plot of each episode contains “What is Michael lying about this week?”

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TwoPair posted:

Are you French? That's a very important factor.

Does French Canadian cancel each other out?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I am totally on the “this is one of the best episodes” trolley! I can’t decide who is the better comedic actor, William Jackson Harper or Ted Danson. They are both just so good.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Points have to be real because the end of the series will be our heroes liberating everyone from the bad place because you can’t measure morality that objectively

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Does French Canadian cancel each other out?

I think it actually has a doubling effect.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

Points have to be real because the end of the series will be our heroes liberating everyone from the bad place because you can’t measure morality that objectively

Also, now that I think about it, the existence of the medium place relies entirely on there being a points system.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Chidi, as an example, went to the Bad Place because his neuroses hurt other people. He is essentially in hell for having a mental illness.

What that means is: the system that sorts people into the Good/Bad places is cruel and hosed up. The Bad Place and the real Good Place (whatever it's actually like) are both completely on board with this cruel and hosed up system. Does the system use points? Well, that fits in with how cruel and hosed up it is, so sure! This is how the afterlife works and whatever divine authourity governs it is cool with all of it.

If the points turned out to be a lie, then that just means the system uses a different cruel and hosed up sorting method than points, which would not be an interesting twist because it would not change or recontextualize anything.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tahani's sister should be in the bad place by now, just have her share her house.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It’s very clear that the beings who control the sorting don’t understand human nature as they are rigidly confined to their Manichaean reward/torture system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

theflyingexecutive posted:

It’s very clear that the beings who control the sorting don’t understand human nature as they are rigidly confined to their Manichaean reward/torture system.

I'm not looking that word up, gently caress you.

• Locked thread