Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

A Spider Covets posted:

And on that note, I'll ask about Zoloft when I go in, thank you! I didn't think there was any kind of medication you could even take during pregnancy, they all seem to have horrible side effects like limbs not growing. If you don't mind my asking, how old is your kid now? Did your wife find anything particular to help manage sleep deprivation in the first few months?

It also depends on the dosages involved of course. She was on a very low dose of Zoloft during pregnancy, upped it a little bit after a few months post birth. You are planning well in advance so you should be able to work with your Psychiatrist to find a regime that you can do during pregnancy without any high risk of issues.

Our kid is 2.5 years old now. We bed shared from day 1 which helped with sleep, but sleep deprivation is just part of the game, you just grab sleep wherever you can. Sometimes it was just taking turns sleeping, one good night of sleep followed by one crappy one is way better than two mediocre nights in a row.

Also like all brain and sleep problems, regular physical activity is a must to stay sane. You have to prioritize it though, it is too easy to neglect otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hello, I'm a new dad and my one month old was recently diagnosed with a mild case of jaundice. The doctors aren't sure exactly what's causing it but it's a higher level than it would be if it was just from the breastmilk, but not so high that phototherapy is being recommended. He has to go in tomorrow (whenever the hospital gets around to calling me so we can schedule the appointment :mad:) for a liver biopsy and spend the night. I'm a little worried for him and would love to hear from people with jaundicy kiddos who got better. We only have one set of friends with a kid so I'm kind of floating in a sea of WedMD articles that end with "liver transplant" or "life-long medication."

e: I don't know if one-month falls under the newborn category and if I should take my question to the pregnancy thread. He's doing alright for an infant aside from being in the 9th percentile for his weight and this yellowing issue; he's just starting to fall asleep in a crib instead of needing to be held.

Our kiddo had jaundice when he was first born, although it went away within a couple weeks of birth. He wasn't getting quite enough food, and we ended up just supplementing breast milk with formula and hanging out with him outside until his numbers came down. We never had a liver biopsy recommended though...that seems a little intrusive if they haven't tried light therapy yet.

Don't do the WebMD self-diagnosis stuff, you will go mad. Just hang in there.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Spider Covets posted:

Any advice from fellow moms with depression/anxiety? Any materials you'd recommend reading to help prepare myself mentally?

Hi. First diagnosed with depression at 16 (I’m 32 now) and added PTSD to the mix five years ago. My son is ten months old. My doctors told me that the SSRI I was on (Lexapro) before I got pregnant was probably okay to take while pregnant and nursing but there wasn’t as long of a track record testing it as with Zoloft. I switched to Zoloft when I got pregnant and am still on it, but will probably switch back - it works as well as Lexapro for my depression, but it zeroed out my libido. So TL;DR: you’re probably fine with Zoloft during and after pregnancy, and in fact your doctors will almost certainly recommend it. Healthy mother -> healthy baby.

As for pre-baby preparation, definitely consider couples therapy with your partner on childcare and family values, support styles, and how to handle the stress of your life being turned upside down (even for a good reason!). It’s so helpful to have a referee for those conversations. Have a safe word where you can both stop a fight when you’re exhausted and overwhelmed and arguing over how to part the baby’s hair - you can put a pin in the conversation and, no fault or grudge assigned, come back later when you are better rested. Don’t be afraid to ask your friends and family to watch the kid for a day so you can go to the pub or get a massage or read a book uninterrupted.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hello, I'm a new dad and my one month old was recently diagnosed with a mild case of jaundice. The doctors aren't sure exactly what's causing it but it's a higher level than it would be if it was just from the breastmilk, but not so high that phototherapy is being recommended. He has to go in tomorrow (whenever the hospital gets around to calling me so we can schedule the appointment :mad:) for a liver biopsy and spend the night. I'm a little worried for him and would love to hear from people with jaundicy kiddos who got better. We only have one set of friends with a kid so I'm kind of floating in a sea of WedMD articles that end with "liver transplant" or "life-long medication."

e: I don't know if one-month falls under the newborn category and if I should take my question to the pregnancy thread. He's doing alright for an infant aside from being in the 9th percentile for his weight and this yellowing issue; he's just starting to fall asleep in a crib instead of needing to be held.

Our third kid was a little premature and had jaundice. We had to take her into the hospital for a screening during a snowstorm, which was not fun. They ended up sending us home with THE BILIMACHINE which we kept her strapped into for a week or so until everything cleared up.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

It also depends on the dosages involved of course. She was on a very low dose of Zoloft during pregnancy, upped it a little bit after a few months post birth. You are planning well in advance so you should be able to work with your Psychiatrist to find a regime that you can do during pregnancy without any high risk of issues.

Our kid is 2.5 years old now. We bed shared from day 1 which helped with sleep, but sleep deprivation is just part of the game, you just grab sleep wherever you can. Sometimes it was just taking turns sleeping, one good night of sleep followed by one crappy one is way better than two mediocre nights in a row.

Also like all brain and sleep problems, regular physical activity is a must to stay sane. You have to prioritize it though, it is too easy to neglect otherwise.

Yeah, the sleep situation is going to suck no matter what, absolutely. That's the number one thing my siblings have imparted on me since they had kids, LOL. Alternating turns I'd heard of, alternating good nights vs mediocre nights is new though and makes total sense. :)

We have a lot of really beautiful trails around our house, so fortunately getting out and staying active is pretty easy for me.

the_chavi posted:

Hi. First diagnosed with depression at 16 (I’m 32 now) and added PTSD to the mix five years ago. My son is ten months old. My doctors told me that the SSRI I was on (Lexapro) before I got pregnant was probably okay to take while pregnant and nursing but there wasn’t as long of a track record testing it as with Zoloft. I switched to Zoloft when I got pregnant and am still on it, but will probably switch back - it works as well as Lexapro for my depression, but it zeroed out my libido. So TL;DR: you’re probably fine with Zoloft during and after pregnancy, and in fact your doctors will almost certainly recommend it. Healthy mother -> healthy baby.

As for pre-baby preparation, definitely consider couples therapy with your partner on childcare and family values, support styles, and how to handle the stress of your life being turned upside down (even for a good reason!). It’s so helpful to have a referee for those conversations. Have a safe word where you can both stop a fight when you’re exhausted and overwhelmed and arguing over how to part the baby’s hair - you can put a pin in the conversation and, no fault or grudge assigned, come back later when you are better rested. Don’t be afraid to ask your friends and family to watch the kid for a day so you can go to the pub or get a massage or read a book uninterrupted.

Just reading this made me feel a bit better overall. :) A safe word is a great idea, I'd kind of thought about that before but hadn't come up with a solution. It would work well with how we deal with conflict, too - we usually drop the subject for about an hour and then come back to it after we've had time to process our feelings properly.

Thanks for replying. I think the more I talk about this with people who've done it, the less worried I'll be, and the advice about medication is definitely useful for the upcoming doctor's visit. I'll stick around the thread and read through it, too.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Can anyone recommend tips or reading info on weaning off of breastfeeding? My wife is losing her mind and the little dude is persistent.

If this is the wrong thread, please let me know.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

sullat posted:

Our third kid was a little premature and had jaundice. We had to take her into the hospital for a screening during a snowstorm, which was not fun. They ended up sending us home with THE BILIMACHINE which we kept her strapped into for a week or so until everything cleared up.

Sounds punk as hell, looking forward to getting my son some wearable tech ASAP. Sounds like they might want to do some surgery instead like it's the 20th century.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Sounds punk as hell, looking forward to getting my son some wearable tech ASAP. Sounds like they might want to do some surgery instead like it's the 20th century.

In the old days they would keep the baby at the hospital in a special incubator that would shine a special light on the baby. This device will let you do that in the comfort of home.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Can anyone recommend tips or reading info on weaning off of breastfeeding? My wife is losing her mind and the little dude is persistent.

If this is the wrong thread, please let me know.

How old is your boy? Have you tried giving him a bottle?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Oodles posted:

How old is your boy? Have you tried giving him a bottle?

A bottle? My God, why hadn't we thought of that!

Sarcasm aside, yes we have tried. If she's in the house, he only wants her.

He's 18 months.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

A bottle? My God, why hadn't we thought of that!

Sarcasm aside, yes we have tried. If she's in the house, he only wants her.

He's 18 months.

I was trying to find out what you’d tried, given you were a little bit vague with your post.

18 Months breastfeeding is fair going, my wife was fed up by 9 months. You’re obviously giving him food, does he have water in a sippy cup with breakfast or dinner? Once you’re past 12 months you’ll be able to give cows milk.

At that stage i’d imagine it’s more of a comfort thing.

What if your wife started giving a bottle? That way he gets used to a bottle, then after time you take over? If he wants her you can use that to your advantage.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
It's so sad at our day care seeing the kids who didn't breastfeed enough. Malnourished. Antisocial. Developmentally slow.

Oh wait, there isn't anything special or different about those kids and the other kids.

The fact that you're willing to put in the effort and TRY is a good indicator that you're putting enough effort into parenting that they'll turn out fine. Don't kick your rear end, or your wife's rear end, or your friend's asses about not making it work or not doing it 100%.

People get wrapped around the axel on the dumbest things.

You're going to spend the rest of your life raising your kid and at least the next 18 really putting the effort in, don't kill yourself over a French fry or a little TV. You gotta play the long game and try to get more wins than losses.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Can somebody please tell me why my 100% potty trained 3 and a half year old has suddenly decided to pee her pants 4 times in 2 days. As far as I can tell it's on purpose when she's upset/not getting her way. I know some of her bad habits she picks up are from other kids at daycare but this is a whole 'nother god drat level.

Is this some awful hosed up phase of her getting used to her emotions? I don't think she's having bladder issues or anything that I can tell. She doesn't say she's in pain. She drinks mostly water, some milk, some juice.

I'm pulling out my hair here.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

the popular kids posted:

Can somebody please tell me why my 100% potty trained 3 and a half year old has suddenly decided to pee her pants 4 times in 2 days. As far as I can tell it's on purpose when she's upset/not getting her way. I know some of her bad habits she picks up are from other kids at daycare but this is a whole 'nother god drat level.

Is this some awful hosed up phase of her getting used to her emotions? I don't think she's having bladder issues or anything that I can tell. She doesn't say she's in pain. She drinks mostly water, some milk, some juice.

I'm pulling out my hair here.

Go back to setting a two hour timer and making her pee every two hours? I know our kids did the same thing, it's a phase but it couldn't hurt to do that so that they can't pee themselves on command quite so easily.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I have a 4.5 month old. She is always super happy, and is rarely fussy or upset. However, she goes berserk when we put her in a carseat in the dark. I just want her to stay calm during a drive.

She seems to enjoy this light-up whale thing we have, but it's not really snuggle-able. Has anyone tried using a glow worm for a baby?

This is it:

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Red posted:

She seems to enjoy this light-up whale thing we have, but it's not really snuggle-able. Has anyone tried using a glow worm for a baby?

The fisher price seahorse is the goon approved glow device.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Dome light?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

E-Money posted:

Nope - twins are magic. They don't wake each other up at all. Not a problem.

Sometimes they do, sometimes one gets in bed with the other and they can wake an hour early because of that.

Anyway dropped of the kids at daycare and I can be glad for my kids wild and extrovert natures here, even if it makes for some stressing situations. There were some extra kids there today because they merged two departments because there are so few kids today (a holiday season). A mom dropped of three kids and this much older loving flipped out when her mom left, and she had two siblings with her to boot. Thank god my kids aren't that insecure, as long as they get a hug before I leave it's all fine and dandy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our drop-off routine is a hug, kiss, high-five, fist bump, and then he has to push me out the door. It absolutely cannot be deviated from.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Oodles posted:

I was trying to find out what you’d tried, given you were a little bit vague with your post.

18 Months breastfeeding is fair going, my wife was fed up by 9 months. You’re obviously giving him food, does he have water in a sippy cup with breakfast or dinner? Once you’re past 12 months you’ll be able to give cows milk.

At that stage i’d imagine it’s more of a comfort thing.

What if your wife started giving a bottle? That way he gets used to a bottle, then after time you take over? If he wants her you can use that to your advantage.

Thanks for the tips. We've tried basically all of this stuff and it works to an extent. He just gets cranky especially at night. Lately nothing has stopped his persistence. I think she's going to be more firm in telling him no.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

I think she's going to be more firm in telling him no.

That's probably your main key to success. Being firm and consistent is the solution to the vast majority of parenting problems. That does not mean you can't be nice and have to be angry, but if you decide something that is acceptable for your kid age/development (like stopping breastfeeding at 18 months) then you need to make sure you do not deviate. You can start with a lighter version of what you want and progress slowly to the desired routine, but never give up and go back to the old habits because you're just making your job much harder. Kids are smart.

You could try having your wife out of the house just before the night feeding for a couple of days just so he get used to the bottle (you did say it was alright when she wasn't there), or have her give him the bottle but still give all the affection she would if she was breastfeeding. But you do need to expect some crying, tantrums, etc. Especially if him crying to get the breast instead of the bottle did work in the past.

It's really hard, but I don't think there's a magic solution for situations like this one. A 18 month old will protest losing something as amazing as breastfeeding

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I was at Disneyland yesterday, spending a few hours with my 3-year old. My Threenager. I didn't bring a stroller, and as expected after a few hours of fun and walking around he started to get cranky. The moment I sniffed the tantrum coming, I started my way towards the exit. It took a lot of calm explaining to him, a few distractions, some carrying of my kicking/screaming toddler, and eventually a game to race to the parking tram to get him out of there. I used all my bag of tricks gathered after years and years of training with his older siblings. This parenting poo poo takes as much education and training as it does to be a pilot, it seems. But I got him out of there at a reasonable hour, his meltdown was mild at best, he still had a good day, and we went home relatively happy and sane. It was a good parenting day.

I share this because it is loving hard. And the only way I was able to take him by myself, get out of there without both of us melting down and causing a scene, was consistency. I don't give in to his demands for...anything, and once he screams at me about something I shut it down. I do not tolerate physical stuff like hitting or kicking, nor do I tolerate anyone screaming at me, and when you don't listen you start losing good things. It's hard to get a toddler to even make eye contact with you when they are mad, but you have to get the message across - I hear you, I understand you, now this is what we are doing so please be a good friend.

Good luck out there, we're all in this together!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

A mom dropped of three kids and this much older loving flipped out when her mom left, and she had two siblings with her to boot. Thank god my kids aren't that insecure, as long as they get a hug before I leave it's all fine and dandy.

You don't sound super judgey at all.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

n8r posted:

You don't sound super judgey at all.

Glad I’m not the only one feeling the judgment.

A kid crying because their parent is leaving them at daycare is perfectly normal & has nothing to do with the way the parent is raising their child or the child’s level of security.

My 4 year old has been in daycare since I went back to work at 10 weeks. He loves “school”, but a few times a year he goes through a week of really rough drop offs. There’s usually no reason for it, he just has a few days where he doesn’t want me to go.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Sometimes I need to be careful and remember my son is still only two, so no, he can't go for a bike ride down the street by himself, no matter how incredibly good he is at looking both ways and getting off the road until cars pass and no matter how much he says "stay in house, daddy, me want ride bike on MINE OWN".

Anyone else have a problem buying into their child's overconfidence and saying "yeah, he can totally do that, this isn't a stupid idea at all"? (letting him jump down from that play tower on his own the other day was, in hindsight, a really stupid idea)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

I share this because it is loving hard. And the only way I was able to take him by myself, get out of there without both of us melting down and causing a scene, was consistency. I don't give in to his demands for...anything, and once he screams at me about something I shut it down. I do not tolerate physical stuff like hitting or kicking, nor do I tolerate anyone screaming at me, and when you don't listen you start losing good things. It's hard to get a toddler to even make eye contact with you when they are mad, but you have to get the message across - I hear you, I understand you, now this is what we are doing so please be a good friend.

Your post makes you sound like a crazy person - FYI. Why would you set up your 3 year old for a meltdown by not bringing a stroller and exhausting them. 'Shut it down' doesn't sound like a particularly reasonable way to handle a situation which *you* created.

What a weird rear end post...

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Not bringing a stroller to Disney sounds like punishing yourself if I’m being honest.

Anyway, I’m putting together an amazon wish list for my son for Christmas. He’ll be seven months. I never, ever thought I’d do something like this and even considered it tacky as hell before but people are already asking what to get him so this just seems easier. I don’t know a lot of good brands though. I like imaginative toys like blocks and stuff. Trying to avoid flashy battery stuff. Anyone have any good brand recommendations I can check out?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Though the last time my wife and I went do Disneyland (admittedly childless) I noted there were SO MANY strollers it was like the stroller equivalent of rush hour traffic in LA. People pushing strollers everywhere, rows of strollers parked outside attractions and restaurants, always having to squeeze past hundreds of strollers. So I could see the logic Vorpalbunny might have had in that simply physically carrying her kid around might be less cumbersome than pushing him around in a stroller.

I also find it is really easy to pass judgement on parents for their decisions, especially if their decisions didn't pan out well. Some things parents do are an absolute coin toss on how the kid will react, and it is rather unrealistic to assign too much credit or too much blame on the parents if things go to either extreme.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

No matter what you choose, they'll have more fun with the Amazon boxes.

Edit: I miss having a stroller. Now I have to carry my own purse or backpack.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Anyway, I’m putting together an amazon wish list for my son for Christmas. He’ll be seven months. I never, ever thought I’d do something like this and even considered it tacky as hell before but people are already asking what to get him so this just seems easier. I don’t know a lot of good brands though. I like imaginative toys like blocks and stuff. Trying to avoid flashy battery stuff. Anyone have any good brand recommendations I can check out?

Nah, I don't consider it tacky. If you don't set up a wish list like this then you're stuck with a lot of stuff you may not want in the house. Kids getting noisy battery powered toys seems like the fruitcake of gift giving to new parents. Blocks and building toys are great though anything that has a lot of pieces means a lot of stuff to repeatedly pick up and find in miscellaneous places. I've heard books are actually a good choice, because you can read to them, and as they get older they can start 'reading' the books themselves. Books also tend to be less bulky and accumulating a lot of children's books tend to take up way less space than a ton of big plastic toys.

I'm sure Pnurtis will appreciate Duplo and those rugged infant books babies love to chew on.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Yeah he’s got oodles of books, oodles! They’re great gifts because there’s so many good ones out there. He especially loves this one hello kitty book I grabbed because it’s so bright.

I’m trying to go through the list: building blocks, grasping toys, rattles....I think one of those play mirrors would be perfect since he’s really into looking at himself right now. Oh and puppets, I think puppets are fun.

And yeah I totally agree that the battery operated toys are just a headache now. Our exersaucer takes 12 batteries :gonk:

Panfilo posted:

Though the last time my wife and I went do Disneyland (admittedly childless) I noted there were SO MANY strollers it was like the stroller equivalent of rush hour traffic in LA. People pushing strollers everywhere, rows of strollers parked outside attractions and restaurants, always having to squeeze past hundreds of strollers. So I could see the logic Vorpalbunny might have had in that simply physically carrying her kid around might be less cumbersome than pushing him around in a stroller.

I also find it is really easy to pass judgement on parents for their decisions, especially if their decisions didn't pan out well. Some things parents do are an absolute coin toss on how the kid will react, and it is rather unrealistic to assign too much credit or too much blame on the parents if things go to either extreme.

Very true.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Not bringing a stroller to Disney sounds like punishing yourself if I’m being honest.

A chance to put my early childhood degree to work! The best toys you can give a 7 month old are toys they can use in multiple ways and encourage them to use their motor skills. In my experience avoiding the battery stuff is the way to go, since a lot of those toys don’t really facilitate imaginative play well and can only be used in predetermined ways. Toys they can manipulate, balls, annoying instruments or safe household paraphernalia (things that they can bang together to learn about cause and effect) are all in a 7 month olds wheelhouse. It sounds cliche, but fisher-price and “Melissa & Doug” have good product lines for that age group.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Ah good, I have a bunch of Melissa and Doug stuff on there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The other thing I've heard is toys that are soft that the baby/toddler can hold for comfort. A friend referred to such a toy as a 'luvvie' basically like a teddy bear or something, preferably machine washable. Of course babies' preferences vary, and I wouldn't advise leaving them alone in a crib with something that might contribute to a SIDS risk. But I have seen some kids bond with a stuffed animal, blanket (my brother was basically Linus from Peanuts for the first 5 years of his life) or other soft object they can hold for reassurance.

I gotta wonder if this helps them manage emotions like fear, separation anxiety, etc by giving something they can turn to for reassurance if mom/dad aren't immediately in the vicinity. Any experts want to weigh in? I'm very curious.

(I had such a toy. A stuffed dog I named ruff-ruff that I basically cuddled to the point of disintegration over the years. In my brother's case, it was blankets)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

n8r posted:

Your post makes you sound like a crazy person - FYI. Why would you set up your 3 year old for a meltdown by not bringing a stroller and exhausting them. 'Shut it down' doesn't sound like a particularly reasonable way to handle a situation which *you* created.

What a weird rear end post...

Thanks for your input! It's insane with Halloween stuff at Disneyland, so going strollerless means less hassle navigating crowds. He rides on my shoulders and we slip through the crowds like ninjas. And I didn't want to stay all day, so meltdown time was a timer for me to make sure we got out of the park and back home for dinner/bath/bed. I wanted to share a personal experience with the group, that we all go through our challenges.

For someone who continues to post about other people being judgey, you sound awfully judgey! But, that would be judgmental of me to say, so :cheers:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

GoreJess posted:

The fisher price seahorse is the goon approved glow device.

I looked for the tried and true seahorse lately and it seems that it is now a giraffe.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

topenga posted:

I looked for the tried and true seahorse lately and it seems that it is now a giraffe.

Amazon still has it :)

Fisher-Price Soothe & Glow Seahorse, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P4CEV5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Sca7zbPPDZ082

The giraffe is cute too, but I’m attached to that seahorse.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I was skeptical of the seahorse for a long time until I started putting the seahorse right up to my son's ear when he got over stimulated/overtired and it just turned him off like a switch. It was just enough of a distraction to reboot his circuits and allow him to sleep on some rough nights.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Panfilo posted:

The other thing I've heard is toys that are soft that the baby/toddler can hold for comfort. A friend referred to such a toy as a 'luvvie' basically like a teddy bear or something, preferably machine washable. Of course babies' preferences vary, and I wouldn't advise leaving them alone in a crib with something that might contribute to a SIDS risk. But I have seen some kids bond with a stuffed animal, blanket (my brother was basically Linus from Peanuts for the first 5 years of his life) or other soft object they can hold for reassurance.

I gotta wonder if this helps them manage emotions like fear, separation anxiety, etc by giving something they can turn to for reassurance if mom/dad aren't immediately in the vicinity. Any experts want to weigh in? I'm very curious.

(I had such a toy. A stuffed dog I named ruff-ruff that I basically cuddled to the point of disintegration over the years. In my brother's case, it was blankets)

Yeah I’ve heard them called transitional items and help do exactly as you say; give the child something they find reassuring and comforting that isn’t their parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend an iPad drawing app for a 2 year old. Need a distraction option for the plane.