Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nut up and be your own bank, nerds.

I've had 0 problems just using the Electrum wallet to make payments to coincards.ca :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
You do bring up a good point. Banks have money, I lack sufficient money at least to my liking. What if I just ... started my own bank? I'd have lots of money!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

1gnoirents posted:

You do bring up a good point. Banks have money, I lack sufficient money at least to my liking. What if I just ... started my own bank? I'd have lots of money!

there's a wacky tale in the YOSPOS thread of someone who wanted FREE CRYPTO MONEY so started an ICO, with a drunk as a business partner. also he was selling a thing he had to code, and could not code. it did not go well.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
How much are 1080 ti's making these days?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A little above 2 dollars.

Edit: Right at the moment it's actually nearly 3 dollars https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah the 1080 Ti was down near $2/day for a while but in the past few days it's been going up a bit, over $3 right now.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What and bitcoin broke 6k? Seems odd (like everything about crypto)

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Bitcoin value going up but they're paying fewer bitcoins per hash.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Im sure its more complicated than this but its just supply and demand (processing power), its almost irrelevant what bitcoins are actually worth - within reason. Technically if I were receiving the same amount of bitcoins I was being paid out just two months ago my 1080ti would be getting over $10 a day. But back in June towards the end of the craze you could almost get that, despite the value of bitcoin being 30% or 40% of what it is now. But as GPU-time flooded the market so to speak the value of your hashes drops accordingly to whatever level people find it acceptable to continue doing it. While on one hand its disappointing that the mining returns absolutely do not correlate to the value of the bitcoins themselves, it makes little sense for it to be any other way. Not looking forward to Volta totally wrecking this.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You are mining alt coins which have their own valuation to the us dollar. Bitcoin itself has its own valuations to the us dollar. Both valuations are driven by demand and speculation. You might or probably exchange your alt coin to btc and then to USD (to your local currency) or some variation of that. Lots of forex going on

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

True and I know im seriously oversimplifying at any rate, but at the same time I know no matter what its going to balance out to whatever is worth your time to do. Which for a 1080ti's level of GPU power, seems to be $2-$4. The value of etherium and bitcoin (admittidly I only pay attention to those two) fluctuated wildly over the past few months but there's one thing I can be sure about- im mining about $3 a day on that card lol.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Price now plummeting so fast from 6.1k+ coindesk's graph can't keep up

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Price now plummeting so fast from 6.1k+ coindesk's graph can't keep up

I'm not seeing it on coinbase's graph.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not 100% sure but i think this pool might be a little off in their reporting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

im not 100% sure but i think this pool might be a little off in their reporting

I had that happen to me for hours. I knew it couldn't be, but my mind started racing after the first 30 minutes

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Yes I would like 30thousand dollar for a day of turning my pc on, also, thank you

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

so how likely is the 1070ti going to go out of stock and be price gouged?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Unlikely, it should be memory constrained

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My bet is they'll probably have enough stock but there will definitely be some price gouging at least for a few weeks.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Risky Bisquick posted:

Unlikely, it should be memory constrained

With the box art leaks it's all but confirmed to be GDDR5 not GDDR5X. It's the mining dream card.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm up to nearly $6.50 CDN /day right now on a 1080 and a 970. Was hovering around the $3 mark a couple of days ago. This is good for newegg cards and burritos .

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Edit: whoops, never mind

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 1, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
What are people mining at the moment, i bought a 1080ti the other day (NOT FOR MINING PURPOSES). But figured i could make a bit back on it as elec is pretty cheap where i live.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

CyberPingu posted:

What are people mining at the moment, i bought a 1080ti the other day (NOT FOR MINING PURPOSES). But figured i could make a bit back on it as elec is pretty cheap where i live.

Stop lying to yourself, embrace the cryptomonies

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

Stop lying to yourself, embrace the cryptomonies

Ive bought some Bitcoin as a small investment, just dont know what to mine right now

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Cryptonight has been oddly profitable the last 12 hours or so, haven't seen anything like it in awhile. Its also rather power efficient when gpu mining.

This 7k+ buttsurge is crazy and I regret not hoarding all my nicebutt payouts instead of immediately selling.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

thats not candy posted:

Cryptonight has been oddly profitable the last 12 hours or so, haven't seen anything like it in awhile. Its also rather power efficient when gpu mining.

This 7k+ buttsurge is crazy and I regret not hoarding all my nicebutt payouts instead of immediately selling.

Don't regret profit taking, it could have also crashed and you could've been left with nothing. You can hoard them for the future going forward

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

So with Nicehash do you get to select what it mines, or does it just "do poo poo".

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You pick algorithms to mine, it then selects the most profitable job after running its existing job.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

You pick algorithms to mine, it then selects the most profitable job after running its existing job.

Fair enough. What algorithms are the "best" to mine right now or is it really dependent?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Run the benchmark, push the start button, that is nicehash.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

Run the benchmark, push the start button, that is nicehash.

wow...ok cool. ill look into that when i get home, cheers.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sitting at $450 in newegg.ca giftcards now from coincards.ca

Probably been running nicehash on and off for 3-4 months now. Was running XMR for a couple of weeks on nanopool as well during this time (not nearly as profitable). Running a 1080 and 970 and pulling $8/day because BUTTCOINS TO THE MOOOOON. Perfect timing too because I need to buy some computer parts and this'll easily cover about 1/2 of what I want to get.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wtf 8 per day? I get like 6 with 2 1080tis (underclocked though, to avoid too much fan wear and noise)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I've been touching $4 a few times with a 1080ti the past few days (with weird gimped Nicehash memory speed still). I wish I held onto buttcoins obviously, but I know that wasn't the right choice either, so no regrets.

1080 has been pretty consistently ~$2.50.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

thats not candy posted:

do you ever regret not going to vegas and putting a bunch of money on black? If not then don't worry about it, be happy for your profits

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Wtf 8 per day? I get like 6 with 2 1080tis (underclocked though, to avoid too much fan wear and noise)

(Ca bux)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thats not candy posted:

Always better to cash out when you want to buy something instead of being stuck holding your dick in your hand ;)

:thumbsup:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my 7970 has been making 2.20 all day. At this point its paid for itself and the 8 year old computer its installed in four times over. Pretty great and I dont need to run the heater in my office this winter because its a loving hot GPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah I'm glad that this buttcoin bubble lasted long enough for the GPU heat to switch from being a nuisance to being useful, my apartment has never been this comfortable in the fall.

• Locked thread