Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

JuffoWup posted:

Is there a warplanes thread yet? Or are we waiting to see if it burns out as quickly as it re-appeared?

There was talk on discord and I assume elsewhere concerning respawn behavior in World of Warplanes. Sometimes, you get several respawns, other times, you get nothing (had a game earlier in the i-15 bis aka rocket biplanes where I never got a chance to respawn). So I went looking and found a wargaming tutorial on the conquest map. Something that should have been on their headline news, but isn't.

https://worldofwarplanes.com/tutorials/wowp-2-0-info/

Basically, you know that squall line warning? Being from warships, I expected it meant a drop in sight lines like warships does. No, that squall warning is the countdown to the end of respawning. That is what the commander means when he says they'll no longer be able to support you.

:dogbutton:

Well poo poo. I have been hearing that and looking for the clouds coming in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So... Nelson...

This was my first battle in the thing. I demolished a Colorado and two cruisers.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is there a list of the different unique captains?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

is there a list of the different unique captains?

There are only 3: Steven Seagal for USA (increased turret rotation and something else), Jack Dunkirk for UK (better smoke, better consumable reload, better turret rotation) and Yamamoto for Japan.

By the way - the clan battles are pretty fun. Zao seems better than Hindenburg for these battles, or at least tied. Des Moines is very good, as predicted. Moskva pretty useful for its long range radar. Smoke changes mean that there is a lot less smoke than expected. Minotaurs and/or Henri IV? HEH. No.
As far as DDs go, Gearing and Z52 are kings. Khaba, Shima and Grozovoi nearly non-existant.
BBs: all of them are good for clan battles, although maybe Conqueror is a little more flexible than the others.

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 19, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Cippalippus posted:

There are only 3: Steven Seagal for USA (increased turret rotation and something else), Jack Dunkirk for UK (better smoke, better consumable reload, better turret rotation) and Yamamoto for Japan.

By the way - the clan battles are pretty fun. Zao seems better than Hindenburg for these battles, or at least tied. Des Moines is very good, as predicted. Moskva pretty useful for its long range radar. Smoke changes mean that there is a lot less smoke than expected. Minotaurs and/or Henri IV? HEH. No.
As far as DDs go, Gearing and Z52 are kings. Khaba, Shima and Grozovoi nearly non-existant.
BBs: all of them are good for clan battles, although maybe Conqueror is a little more flexible than the others.

how do you get jack dunkirk/seagal?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

By doing event missions that are no longer available.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So... Nelson...

This was my first battle in the thing. I demolished a Colorado and two cruisers.

I love the nelson so much. Watching chat when you heal is awesome.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Burt posted:

Yeah, I had the same thought. After learning that, I have realized that the early focus should just be on grabbing as many points as possible. Once squall is in effect, you should take a more defensive role as the game is now a last man standing mode. Preferably, your team controls an airbase that you can repair your plane at while also defending it.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Spooky DD needs to be in main game. I died because I just loved torpin', but got 6 kills and the whole team only got around 1-2 each :v:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
So here's a fun fact I learned from Japanese Destroyer Captain. Prior to the reform of torpedo tactics in the 1930s and the development of the Long Lance, the recommended launching distance for a torpedo in the Japanese Navy was five hundred meters from target.

There is no evidence something that insane was ever attempted in WW2 except under extreme circumstances, but the recommended distance only increased to two kilometers on both sides, which a huge number of US DD captains apparently attempted, and the average range was around five.

And all of this in boats that couldn't make the ridiculous speedboat turns that WoWS destroyers do. loving suicidal tin can sailors.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 20, 2017

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah but on the flipside, gunnery in WW2 was loving tragic compared to WoWShips.

I've often wondered at the idea of Japanese DDs launching torps from so far away that USN thought it was from a submarine. I guess WASD hacks were too inefficient on fuel use in real life.

Cippalippus posted:

I have all 3.
I use Seagal on Cleveland/Atlanta and the EL buff is noticeable and useful (1.5s switch on Atlanta I think). The turret rotation is nearly useless on Atlanta but the Cleveland turrets still feel borderline slow even with it which suggests its worthwhile. But the main benefit is wondering how the gently caress Seagal sounded so disinterested in having to record at most about 20 lines of dialogue.

Dunkirk I put on my Fiji because turret rotation is useless on my Minotaur. I actually like the large smoke, its very nearly the same amount as 3 puffs and allows smoking about 3-4knots sooner when slowing down. The JOAT buff together with premium smoke reduces time between smokes to about 30secs.

Yamamoto I put on a new Akizuki and haven't triggered his effects yet. Thats mainly because I'm having trouble adjusting to the Akizuki so far. I already had 19 pt captains in Yamato, Zao and Shima though. My feeling is that he is best on a DD because DDs seem more likely to get First Blood.

Cippalippus posted:

If/when I get on for a CW I will use a Gearing, Hindenburg, Moskva or Yamato as needed (I don't have Conqueror). I respecc'ed my Hind out of all AA skills last night just in case.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Sorry I haven't been on (DUNKN) the last few days. Hard drive took a poo poo, should be back up today.

Got a Moskva, Des Moines, Shima (a real one), and a Minotaur available for CW, with a Hindenburg, Z52 and Conquerer on the way, if that makes a difference.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

So here's a fun fact I learned from Japanese Destroyer Captain. Prior to the reform of torpedo tactics in the 1930s and the development of the Long Lance, the recommended launching distance for a torpedo in the Japanese Navy was five hundred meters from target.

There is no evidence something that insane was ever attempted in WW2 except under extreme circumstances, but the recommended distance only increased to two kilometers on both sides, which a huge number of US DD captains apparently attempted, and the average range was around five.

And all of this in boats that couldn't make the ridiculous speedboat turns that WoWS destroyers do. loving suicidal tin can sailors.

A lot of this took place in night actions, where you could still be hidden at 2-5km, particularly when the targeted ship was actively fighting.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Warbadger posted:

A lot of this took place in night actions, where you could still be hidden at 2-5km, particularly when the targeted ship was actively fighting.

I wish this game had night maps, I love night fighting.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
DUNKN was quite successful last night, storming right into the Gale league.

Made close to 100k free exp in the process.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

jownzy posted:

Sorry I didn't make it last night. I should be around for the next games. It isn't tonight, but tomorrow and Sunday, right?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Yeah, I was trying out warplanes last night. I should be good for one night of Clan Wars over the weekend.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

jownzy posted:

So many loving Des Moines broadside to my Moskva.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Burt posted:

So was I. I got another tip for ground attack work. This one was gleaned from reddit. When capturing bases, a lone ground attack plane can capture a base pretty drat quickly if they know what they are doing.

The key here is that individual structures don't count. Structures are grouped into little units. If all structures within a unit is destroyed, then it counts to yours capture total on the base. In other words, shooting the aa gun will silence it, but it won't affect your base capture. Shooting the aa mount and then destroying the 3-4 little buildings next to it will give you base capture points. Targetting tightly packed building sets with your bombs and then carpet bombing correctly will net you a lot of capture points. As a ground attack plane, this will also add to your xp. I just had a game where I turned a somewhat messy start by my team into a full on win by us when I nearly solo capped the lone airfield before I died. When I came back, I was able to return and finish the job, then worked down the remaining garrisons. The garrison that was being a mixed fight was because my team was shooting the aa guns, but leaving the support structures. With those destroyed, the capture rapidly filled up.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Anyone else following the Halloween ARG?

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

It is done.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

World of Warplanes thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838176

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I just rage-quit and also nearly uninstalled the game after taking 18k dmg in one AP salvo from a Missouri in my Udaloi at 11km range. I don't even think he used his rear turret. Anyone who thinks that is fine, feel free to edit: enlighten me as to why.

What was frustrating is that I had just sunk an enemy Khab, capped, was poised for a really big game, and had a full set of good camo+signals on.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 21, 2017

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

I just rage-quit and also nearly uninstalled the game after taking 18k dmg in one AP salvo from a Missouri in my Udaloi at 11km range. I don't even think he used his rear turret. Anyone who thinks that is fine, feel free to edit: enlighten me as to why.

What was frustrating is that I had just sunk an enemy Khab, capped, was poised for a really big game, and had a full set of good camo+signals on.

I just got one shotted in an Emerald vs a Konigsberg who just one salvo earlier wiped an Orion. That game was hosed. I think RNGesus is angry today.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Cancelbot posted:

I just got one shotted in an Emerald vs a Konigsberg who just one salvo earlier wiped an Orion. That game was hosed. I think RNGesus is angry today.

Kaesar wasnt detonated or citadelled. One Missouri volley got multiple full pens on his DD. Each pen is 4300 damage.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

They're supposedly working on a new damage model to fix that.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Oh sorry my bad, I am ignorant around those tiers. I definitely do better during weekdays.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Cancelbot posted:

Oh sorry my bad, I am ignorant around those tiers. I definitely do better during weekdays.

You must be the only one that does. :(

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:

Flagellum posted:

It is done.

Can I get accepted in to the clan plz?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

wdarkk posted:

They're supposedly working on a new damage model to fix that.

Yeah the proposal is BBs can only overpen DDs with AP.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lady Morgaga posted:

Kaesar wasnt detonated or citadelled. One Missouri volley got multiple full pens on his DD. Each pen is 4300 damage.

I never get mad at Detonations because I very rarely get them in T10 games and seem to always get them at T7 or below, with that pattern you can't complain.

But yeah, these full AP pens on DDs are the most retarded element of BBs in the game. Apart from their concealment. And the RN HE.

IMO literally every BB AP hit on any DD should be an overpen. Tbh I would go further and remove the ability of BBs to citadel cruisers too but 80% of the BB playerbase couldn't handle that.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Blindeye posted:

Yeah the proposal is BBs can only overpen DDs with AP.

I don't think it's specifically that, it's more a rework of how pens work which should make penning DDs much less common, but they also have to check it doesn't make anything else OP/poo poo in the process.

Also, Italian BB seems pretty nice, albeit this is my only game so far:

Fast, turns good, small, and guns are accurate. Armour is real bad when flat and the small size means HE spam breaks a lot of stuff, but it seems good. The HE firechance is apparently good to, but I fired all AP that game besides the one initial volley at the start when I forgot all ships start with HE loaded the first time :argh:

Also also, since the patch hit I have had to accept the T&C every time I start the game. Seems a bit hosed, anyone know how to unfuck it?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 21, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

kaesarsosei posted:

I never get mad at Detonations because I very rarely get them in T10 games and seem to always get them at T7 or below, with that pattern you can't complain.

But yeah, these full AP pens on DDs are the most retarded element of BBs in the game. Apart from their concealment. And the RN HE.

IMO literally every BB AP hit on any DD should be an overpen. Tbh I would go further and remove the ability of BBs to citadel cruisers too but 80% of the BB playerbase couldn't handle that.

What would be the point of having BBs then? BBs are supposed to be the ships that keep people honest by trading in sustained DPS for burst damage against targets that make a mistake. Being tanky is useless if you have no punch to back it up. Its not like cruisers are awful vs BBs either.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah BBs need to be able to delete cruisers that are unlucky/dumb.

Even overpens are going to hurt a DD, a Montana/Iowa/Missouri overpen is 1350 each, so that's going to hurt a fair chunk if you get 3-4 of those.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

kaesarsosei posted:

Yeah but on the flipside, gunnery in WW2 was loving tragic compared to WoWShips.

I've often wondered at the idea of Japanese DDs launching torps from so far away that USN thought it was from a submarine. I guess WASD hacks were too inefficient on fuel use in real life.

I have all 3.
I use Seagal on Cleveland/Atlanta and the EL buff is noticeable and useful (1.5s switch on Atlanta I think). The turret rotation is nearly useless on Atlanta but the Cleveland turrets still feel borderline slow even with it which suggests its worthwhile. But the main benefit is wondering how the gently caress Seagal sounded so disinterested in having to record at most about 20 lines of dialogue.

Dunkirk I put on my Fiji because turret rotation is useless on my Minotaur. I actually like the large smoke, its very nearly the same amount as 3 puffs and allows smoking about 3-4knots sooner when slowing down. The JOAT buff together with premium smoke reduces time between smokes to about 30secs.

Yamamoto I put on a new Akizuki and haven't triggered his effects yet. Thats mainly because I'm having trouble adjusting to the Akizuki so far. I already had 19 pt captains in Yamato, Zao and Shima though. My feeling is that he is best on a DD because DDs seem more likely to get First Blood.

If/when I get on for a CW I will use a Gearing, Hindenburg, Moskva or Yamato as needed (I don't have Conqueror). I respecc'ed my Hind out of all AA skills last night just in case.

I mean, what you call tragic is amazing considering many navies--like the IJN and Italian Navy--were almost exclusively using optical targeting.

The navies using radar fire control had some pretty Stone Age radar compared to modern radars, and everyone's fire control computers were giant analog computing machines.

There was no such thing as gps, laser, radar, or stabilized guided artillery shells.

Despite this, I think you can look at any of the great surface engagements of the Second World War and realize the gunnery was amazing.

Hell Scharnhorst and Warspite landed shells at 26k yards and Iowa straddled a destroyer at 38k yards.

And there was no shortage of shells landing on and sinking ships when the situations arose.

Edit

Hell at Denmark Straight every major combatant but Hood had scored hits, and Bismarck scored hits on Hood with her second and third salvos (the third salvo being the killing salvo).

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 21, 2017

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Burt posted:

You must be the only one that does. :(

I see weekdays and weekends like driving. During weekdays you get the competent people who behave predictably, as they drive that route every day to work regularly. During weekends you get the old, blind, and stupid who only drive those days and everything goes to poo poo. I play better when the patterns are more obvious.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
What is the proper setup for IJN cruiser captains. At the Myoko now and I have Priority target, Turret traverse buff, Fire Chance, and Concealment. Have 2 points currently.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

MikeC posted:

What is the proper setup for IJN cruiser captains. At the Myoko now and I have Priority target, Turret traverse buff, Fire Chance, and Concealment. Have 2 points currently.

Take AR immediately. Adrenaline Rush is a must have IMO on everything.

Edit: after that superintendent probably and whatever flavor of cruiser build you want.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 21, 2017

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

MikeC posted:

Through the Mogami you'll want IFHE (I actually did not use it on the Mogami, but statsicallunits your best bet). Unfortunately starting at Tier IX IFHE becomes useless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I mean, what you call tragic is amazing considering many navies--like the IJN and Italian Navy--were almost exclusively using optical targeting.

The navies using radar fire control had some pretty Stone Age radar compared to modern radars, and everyone's fire control computers were giant analog computing machines.

There was no such thing as gps, laser, radar, or stabilized guided artillery shells.

Despite this, I think you can look at any of the great surface engagements of the Second World War and realize the gunnery was amazing.

Hell Scharnhorst and Warspite landed shells at 26k yards and Iowa straddled a destroyer at 38k yards.

And there was no shortage of shells landing on and sinking ships when the situations arose.

Edit

Hell at Denmark Straight every major combatant but Hood had scored hits, and Bismarck scored hits on Hood with her second and third salvos (the third salvo being the killing salvo).

Well if you think of it, in WoWS my MB hit rate with BBs is something like 28-30%. I suspect IRL the figures were less than 10% of that (for the times when they could even get in a position to shoot). And that was against ships that were hugely less maneuverable than they appear in WoWS. The examples of Scharnhorst/Warpsite are regarded as exceptional but in-game if a BB is sailing in a straight line at a steady speed at that range I would give myself a 50/50 of making that shot from a Yamato.