Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Didn't some Deep South state pass an anti-abortion law that basically made it illegal for a woman not to be pregnant?

One state almost made it to law that pregnant women cannot be put on trial for murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Der Kyhe posted:

One state almost made it to law that pregnant women cannot be put on trial for murder.

I believe Oklahoma tried to pass a law that women who had miscarriages would be subject to a criminal investigation.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
A buncha early pregnancies are self-terminated too, usually due to various flaws in genetic code or bad cell division or whatever. If they really cared about saving babies they could start with those but huh looks like nobody cares.

speaking of TV pregnancies, one of the weirder ones I remember is Kira’s from DS9. Can’t say that aged badly though, it was always weird.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Concordat posted:

Someone's mentioned the pilot episode of "The Lone Gunmen," the ill-fated X-Files spinoff where the government conspires to crash an airliner into the World Trade Center to boost military arms sales and justify war, right?

If anything, it aged too well.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

If anything, it aged too well.

How horrible was that show? Did it get cancelled because of the sad foresight?

I admit that I watched it when it aired and (probably) liked it? but I remember zero details and haven’t seen it since. In my defense, I was young and just always thought the Lone Gunmen were kind of cool. :shrug:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

lemon-lyme disease posted:

How horrible was that show? Did it get cancelled because of the sad foresight?

I admit that I watched it when it aired and (probably) liked it? but I remember zero details and haven’t seen it since. In my defense, I was young and just always thought the Lone Gunmen were kind of cool. :shrug:

It was shitcanned before 9/11.

No, it had crap ratings for the time because it was focused a lot more on the conspiracy theory aspect, and the black helicopter crowd had used up their fifteen minutes of fame once Clinton left office.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Instant Sunrise posted:

It was shitcanned before 9/11.

No, it had crap ratings for the time because it was focused a lot more on the conspiracy theory aspect, and the black helicopter crowd had used up their fifteen minutes of fame once Clinton left office.

See, that sounds interesting to me. I’m clearly going to have to find and watch it. It’s the only way to learn how truly wrong I am.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Did they even mention how hot it needs to get to melt steel beams?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

One somewhat amusing factoid that was pointed out to me on another site is that given the size of the cast, one of the most racially diverse sitcoms we've ever had is actually Red Dwarf.

Which made it all the more noticeable when the attempted US version got whitewashed.

And speaking of Red Dwarf and aging poorly, I've been watching the new ones and man do those guys look every bit of 30 years older than when it started.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ReidRansom posted:

Which made it all the more noticeable when the attempted US version got whitewashed.

And speaking of Red Dwarf and aging poorly, I've been watching the new ones and man do those guys look every bit of 30 years older than when it started.

Don't watch the behind the scenes stuff. Rimmer and Cat? Wigs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Davros1 posted:

Don't watch the behind the scenes stuff. Rimmer and Cat? Wigs.

At least Kryten didn't use a Shatner-corset.

Now we know who's been eating all the pies.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xibanya posted:

A buncha early pregnancies are self-terminated too, usually due to various flaws in genetic code or bad cell division or whatever. If they really cared about saving babies they could start with those but huh looks like nobody cares.

speaking of TV pregnancies, one of the weirder ones I remember is Kira’s from DS9. Can’t say that aged badly though, it was always weird.

the actress got pregnant in irl life but the character couldn't have a kid because she wasn't married so that's why they had to do that weird thing where she's carrying Keiko's baby

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the actress got pregnant in irl life but the character couldn't have a kid because she wasn't married so that's why they had to do that weird thing where she's carrying Keiko's baby

That's why she yells "this is all your fault" at Bashir when she's actually giving birth - Alexander Siddig who is great as R'as al Ghul in "Gotham" this season was the father.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do like that they went full sci-fi weird with it.

And Worf's terror upon hearing that Keiko was pregnant again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inescapable Duck posted:

I do like that they went full sci-fi weird with it.

And Worf's terror upon hearing that Keiko was pregnant again.

Was there some love triangle thing I missed by not really watching the show consistently?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Was there some love triangle thing I missed by not really watching the show consistently?

No, he ended up having to help deliver Keiko's first baby when they got stuck in a turbolift.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No, he ended up having to help deliver Keiko's first baby when they got stuck in a turbolift.

Ah, the old "hardened manly man freaks out at dealing with childbirth" trope. Talk about things that didn't age well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Worf dealt with it pretty well the first time, he just really didn't want to have to deliver another baby.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Worf dealt with it pretty well the first time, he just really didn't want to have to deliver another baby.

Well, he shouldn't have minored in obstetrics in Starfleet Academy, then!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
But it looked so easy in the simulations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole arc did get funny, especially with how things got weird between Kira and O'Brien, since Keiko was encouraging them to hang out. The dawning looks of horror as they realise they're both going to a secluded cottage getaway for a week and agree to call it off.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inescapable Duck posted:

The whole arc did get funny, especially with how things got weird between Kira and O'Brien, since Keiko was encouraging them to hang out. The dawning looks of horror as they realise they're both going to a secluded cottage getaway for a week and agree to call it off.

Thirteysomething... IN SPACE

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

Suddenly 'Lamb to the Slaughter' has an interesting new twist.

Besesoth posted:

That's why she yells "this is all your fault" at Bashir when she's actually giving birth - Alexander Siddig who is great as R'as al Ghul in "Gotham" this season was the father.

I actually read that spoiler, and now I may be watching Gotham. Didn't see that coming today.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

That's downright twisted. Odd that a Sci-Fi show in syndication had people care enough that this couldn't have just been a thing on its own.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kira didn't really come off as a character who'd have an unplanned pregnancy, being both strongly religious and highly practical, not to mention having her become a single mother would derail her arc a lot, so I thought it was a decent way to work it in.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Shoulda just given her a smock like on Voyager.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Instant Sunrise posted:

It was?? I mostly remember it being full of awful, awful comedy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Volcott posted:

Shoulda just given her a smock like on Voyager.

The tv show Lucifer had a pretty funny way to deal with an actresses' pregnancy, she went to Canada and wore big bulky coats.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

muscles like this! posted:

The tv show Lucifer had a pretty funny way to deal with an actresses' pregnancy, she went to Canada and wore big bulky coats.

Gal Gadot was apparently pregnant for quite a few scenes in Wonder Woman so they just green-screened it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of crazy how much stuff nowadays just gets changed in post. Like a bunch of actors are covered in tattoos (like Nicolas Cage) and they have to be removed for pretty much any movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Its kind of crazy how much stuff nowadays just gets changed in post. Like a bunch of actors are covered in tattoos (like Nicolas Cage) and they have to be removed for pretty much any movie.

This is the stuff Hal Warren promised would happen in Manos even though I don't believe most of the technology existed to that degree in the 60s.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I liked how they hid Lauren Lane's pregnancy in plain sight in the Nanny, by just doing jokes when she was standing behind plants and stuff.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

davidspackage posted:

I liked how they hid Lauren Lane's pregnancy in plain sight in the Nanny, by just doing jokes when she was standing behind plants and stuff.

She was always carrying those big flat bags artists use and she'd switch sides whenever she needed to turn around

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

davidspackage posted:

There was an episode of Day By Day where the character Ross (the actor would later play Greg in the Brady Bunch movies) dreams he's living in the Brady Bunch world. Maureen McCormick appears as Marcia and she is extremely pregnant, but no one says anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gapSLY5Fxbo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think the saddest one was on Brooklyn 99 where they hid Melissa Fumero's pregnancy using all the familiar standbys: Carrying stuff, large clothes, hiding behind stuff, and then at the end of the season, for 2 eps, they have her go undercover in a prison as pregnant inmate, thus negating the need to hide it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

mighty boosh has way more rape jokes than i remember

still funny tho imo

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Calaveron posted:

She was always carrying those big flat bags artists use and she'd switch sides whenever she needed to turn around
They did the same in Titus with Cynthia Watros' pregnancy... except for one scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoMSVdrOvJ8

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Pentaro posted:

They did the same in Titus with Cynthia Watros' pregnancy... except for one scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoMSVdrOvJ8

Titus was a brilliant show.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

ReidRansom posted:

Despite this, the early series look and feel surprisingly contemporary for 1987/1988. The writers were keen to investigate the effect of marooning on the psyche (probably due to dialogue being cheaper than special effects), so there are some very progressive episodes surrounding topics of identity ('Confidence and Paranoia') and gender politics ('Parallel Universe'). Deb Lister is Vod from Fresh Meat twenty years before her time!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Early Red Dwarf was such a better show than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Early Red Dwarf was such a better show than later.

Honestly I do really like early red dwarf, but I do feel the show dynamic improved when they added Kryten as a regular. As much as Season 1 and 2 have some legitimately great episodes, I'd still argue that Red Dwarf was at its best from Season 3-6 inclusive. As for the revival stuff, well I'm glad that the actors who were in a show I loved when I was young are still getting paid.