Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Greetings! Welcome to the Games Forum Sheep Game: "Yeah, We're Doing Another One Of These" Edition!

This is how the game works: I will post a list of 16 statements. Your job is to provide an answer that you think is the best for each statement. BUT! The object of the game is not necessarily to guess the most correct answer. Rather, the object of this game is to give the most common answer that you think will be given by the rest of the players. For each answer you give, you get a number of points equal to the number of people who also gave that answer. If you say "red" and 10 other people say red, you get 11 points. If you say "blue" and no one else said blue, you get 1 point. The poster with the most points at the end of 16 rounds wins! Note that it is in your best interest to not discuss the game in other threads or IRC, lest you tip your hand on what your answers will be!

:siren: Our esteemed mod VideoGames has offered free avatar changes for the players who come in the top 5. :siren:

Want to participate? Great! Please follow this two step process:
1) Submit your entries via email to SASheepGame@gmail.com (NO PMs PLEASE). The subject line should include your SA username and "Sheep Game Entry" (e.g. "Closed-Down Pizza Parlor sheep game entry"). Your answers should be in the body of the message. Please submit your answers with one answer on each line, in order, and with no numbers and no questions. This will save me a bunch of editing time.
2) Re-read Step 1 and make sure you didn't gently caress it up, or you'll probably get disqualified!

The deadline for entries is approximately one week; I will post a 24 hour notice before I stop taking submissions. Once submissions are closed I will determine a reveal date. This will be done "liveblog" style, i.e. I'll reveal each round of answers one at a time over the course of a few hours.

Once again:
:siren: DO NOT INCLUDE THE NUMBERS OR QUESTION TEXT ON YOUR ENTRY FORM! :siren:

Got it? Okay. Here are the statements. SomeMost of them I reused from the last time; time and perspective might have shifted the answers. Some of these are intentionally fairly vague. It's up to you to decide how you think the rest of Games will interpret them!

1. This video game console is the greatest console ever made.
2. This video game console is the worst console ever made.
3. This person is the one I have the most respect for among people who are/were involved with making video games.
4. This person is/was a blight on the gaming industry and never should have gotten involved with making video games.
5. This video game company is the one I look on most favorably in the gaming industry.
6. This video game company is the one I look on most unfavorably in the gaming industry.
7. If I could bring back one now-defunct video game company and make it successful again, it would be this one.
8. This recent trend in video games needs to end more than any other.
9. This video game series is the one I am most disappointed about not receiving a sequel recently.
10. This currently-running video game series was once great, but is now a shadow of its former self, and needs to be ended more than any other.
11. This video game brings back the fondest memories of playing it with friends. (Answers from the same series will be lumped together for this question.)
12. This video game had a greater long-term impact on gaming as a whole than any other game.
13. This video game is the prime example of a great story in gaming.
14. This video game has the single greatest soundtrack of any game.
15. This video game is the most disappointing video game of 2017.
16. This video game is the greatest video game of 2017.

Once again:
:siren: DO NOT INCLUDE THE NUMBERS OR QUESTION TEXT ON YOUR ENTRY FORM! :siren:

Undying gratitude goes to TheOneAndOnlyT, who ran the original one and whose OP I plagiarized a hell of a lot.

Good luck!

Entries received:
VG!
tap my mountain
an actual dog
LawfulWaffle
CrashCat
Psychedelicatessen
TheOneAndOnlyT
Darkoni
Olive!
Avalerion
The Walrus
MMF Freeway
ArseMan
Phantasium
Endorph
seiferguy
The Iron Llama
Nephrite
Reality Winner
Capsaicin
True Blue Triumph
exquisite tea
Raldan
Captain Slack
Flavahbeast
The Huge Manatee
Supreme Allah
Mokinokaro
Finster Dexter
staplegun
Fanatic
I ride bikes all day
Nahrix
Renegret
Twilkitri
NoWave

An Actual Princess fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Ooh, nice. Time to try this from the other side.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am so trying this! :D
I am exempt from winning prizes, however, so it is not a conflict of interest!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Oh boy, I'll get in on this.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also, the Avatars will be in the form of Gift Certificates, so those who win will either need to PM me or email me vg@somethingawful.com so I can hand out the codes correctly :D

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
That last question is so much harder than last year's. There's too many to choose from.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

That last question is so much harder than last year's. There's too many to choose from.

I was just going to leave the last couple with "of all time" but 2017 has been such a hell of a year I couldn't resist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How do you define "currently running" series for question #10? Does it need to simply not be officially dead, or is there a statute of limitations on how recent the latest game in the series must be?

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Just sent mine out. I admit it was kinda hard to not go for what I wanted and instead to go for the most popular. The story and music choices took forever.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

How do you define "currently running" series for question #10? Does it need to simply not be officially dead, or is there a statute of limitations on how recent the latest game in the series must be?

Simply needs to not be officially dead.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This list seems tougher than the last one. Probably because 2017 has been such a great for games and a bunch of new Metroid stuff has come out/been announced.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah sure what the hell, there you go.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've submitted all the correct answers, now its up to you all to not gently caress it up.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

10 was difficult. Many series that suck now but actually wanting them to end instead of just no longer caring is weird. And I pretty much just guessed 14 since that's something I have no real sense for whatsoever.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

for what it's worth, the soundtrack question was the one I was least sure about; I don't know whether it's a good or bad thing that people seem to struggle with it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm probably an outlier in that, mind, don't really have a thing or "get" music in general. To me a soundtrack in a game is something that's just there but I don't notice unless it's particularly bad, but I know other folks can gush about that kind of thing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Alright I'll do this.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

some people seem to be interpreting the last question in a very curious way, so I'll mention: i intended it to mean games released in 2017

The Iron Llama
Mar 12, 2011

A genius billionaire playboy camelid.

Hey now... I realize I might not be the most interesting quadruped out there, but I hardly think I'm llame.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
2017 has been so crazy filled with good games so far this year, and it's even crazier to think that if you waited a month to post this, there would be 2-4 more contenders for that.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Iron Llama posted:

Hey now... I realize I might not be the most interesting quadruped out there, but I hardly think I'm llame.

whoops, sorry

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hey did you get my entry from a few days ago? I think I did everything correctly but I don't see my name up there on the list of submissions.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I was missing a handful of names, apparently. Should all be updated now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Submitted.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
1: NES
2: XBOX One
3: Gabe
4: Chris Roberts
5: Valve
6: EA
7: Interplay
8: MMO
9: Last of Us
10: Dark Souls
11: Mario Kart
12: Metroid
13: Final Fantasy
14: Secret of Mana
15: All of them
16: PUBG

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

24-ish hours left. I got a lot fewer entries than I hoped, but that's okay! Should be pretty fun anyway!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

24-ish hours left. I got a lot fewer entries than I hoped, but that's okay! Should be pretty fun anyway!

I got you fam

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hey dummy, don't post your answers here.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Unless there are any super last-minute entries, I'm going to call it here at 35. I'll sort through the entries and start posting answers in a little while!

An Actual Princess fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 19, 2017

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Okay, I'm gonna do this tonight so like in ~3 hours; I meant to do it a couple days ago but I got super sick.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Okay, I'm gonna do this tonight so like in ~3 hours; I meant to do it a couple days ago but I got super sick.

No worries, hope you're feeling better :)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

All right, y'all ready to do this? I'm about to do this.

I'll take a page out of TheOneAndOnlyT's book and do them one post at a time, posting the scores between each one even though there's going to be basically zero discussion between each one but WHATEVER

Most of the answers were pretty clear cut, but there was one question in particular that I hemmed and hawed for a really long time over whether or not to combine a pair of answers; you'll see when we get there.

Also, each question preview will have a couple of images of possible answers. Please note that these may or may not have anything to do with how many people gave that answer. The images are meant to give an idea of what some people selected, and to get you thinking about possible answers you might have forgotten.

Question 1: This video game console is the greatest console ever made.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Question 1: This video game console is the greatest console ever made.

SNES - 20
TheOneAndOnlyT
Olive!
LawfulWaffle
tap my mountain
MMF Freeway
Raldan
exquisite tea
seiferguy
Nephrite
The Iron Llama
Capsaicin
True Blue Triumph
Captain Slack
Flavahbeast
Mokinokaro
Supreme Allah
staplegun
I ride bikes all day
Twilkitri
NoWave

PlayStation 2 - 9
Darkoni
an actual dog
CrashCat
Psychedelicatessen
VG!
The Walrus
Phantasium
Endorph
The Huge Manatee

Dreamcast - 2
Finster Dexter
Renegret

NES - 2
Nahrix
The Man Called M

ACES:

Nintendo 3DS - Avalerion
Neo Geo - ArseMan
the personal computer - Reality Winner
Nintendo 64 - Fanatic

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Scores after question 1:

TheOneAndOnlyT - 20
Olive! - 20
LawfulWaffle - 20
tap my mountain - 20
MMF Freeway - 20
Raldan - 20
exquisite tea - 20
seiferguy - 20
Nephrite - 20
The Iron Llama - 20
Capsaicin - 20
True Blue Triumph - 20
Captain Slack - 20
Flavahbeast - 20
Mokinokaro - 20
Supreme Allah - 20
staplegun - 20
I ride bikes all day - 20
Twilkitri - 20
NoWave - 20
Darkoni - 9
an actual dog - 9
CrashCat - 9
Psychedelicatessen - 9
VG! - 9
The Walrus - 9
Phantasium - 9
Endorph - 9
The Huge Manatee - 9
Finster Dexter - 2
Nahrix - 2
Renegret - 2
The Man Called M - 2
Avalerion - 1
ArseMan - 1
Reality Winner - 1
Fanatic - 1

Question 2: This video game console is the worst console ever made.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Not feeling as lucky about question 2.

e: v yeah, that's about what I expected

Olive! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 22, 2017

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Question 2: This video game console is the worst console ever made.

Ouya - 9
an actual dog
exquisite tea
The Iron Llama
True Blue Triumph
Mokinokaro
Fanatic
staplegun
Renegret
NoWave

Xbox One - 8
TheOneAndOnlyT
CrashCat
Psychedelicatessen
VG!
tap my mountain
seiferguy
Reality Winner
Nahrix

Virtual Boy - 5
Avalerion
MMF Freeway
Nephrite
Capsaicin
Flavahbeast

CD-I - 4
Olive!
Phantasium
The Huge Manatee
Twilkitri

Nokia NGage - 4
ArseMan
Raldan
Endorph
Finster Dexter

Atari Jaguar - 3
LawfulWaffle
Supreme Allah
The Man Called M

ACES:

Wii U - Darkoni
Sega 32x - The Walrus
the 3DO console - Captain Slack
SEGA - I ride bikes all day (???????????)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Scores after question 2:

exquisite tea - 29
The Iron Llama - 29
True Blue Triumph - 29
Mokinokaro - 29
staplegun - 29
NoWave - 29
TheOneAndOnlyT - 28
tap my mountain - 28
seiferguy - 28
MMF Freeway - 25
Nephrite - 25
Capsaicin - 25
Flavahbeast - 25
Olive! - 24
Raldan - 24
Twilkitri - 24
LawfulWaffle - 23
Supreme Allah - 23
Captain Slack - 21
I ride bikes all day - 21
an actual dog - 18
CrashCat - 17
Psychedelicatessen - 17
VG! - 17
Phantasium - 13
Endorph - 13
The Huge Manatee - 13
Renegret - 11
Darkoni - 10
The Walrus - 10
Fanatic - 10
Nahrix - 10
Reality Winner - 9
Avalerion - 6
Finster Dexter - 6
ArseMan - 5
The Man Called M - 5

Question 3: This person is the one I have the most respect for among people who are/were involved with making video games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Olive! posted:

Not feeling as lucky about question 2.

e: v yeah, that's about what I expected

I mean the CD-I is a really bad console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Question 3: This person is the one I have the most respect for among people who are/were involved with making video games.

Shigeru Miyamoto - 19
Darkoni
TheOneAndOnlyT
CrashCat
LawfulWaffle
VG!
MMF Freeway
The Walrus
Endorph
exquisite tea
Nephrite
The Iron Llama