Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You'll feel vindicated about putting points in early when you get your first tool, augur will wreck poo poo hard.

1.cursed gems have negative effects, so it's referring to the gem
2.yeah
3.Pretty much. You can make just about any weapon into a pure arc weapon if you want by converting it, but some things like tonitrus benefit more from using their default damage setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My preferred approach to lecture hall clearing is to put a fire gem on the Beast Cutter and use the transformed R1 to just sweep the room, melting the gooey boys sometimes before they can get out of their seats. Works a treat.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The threaded cane whip mode works wonders as well if you're a skill build. With all the moon runes and an upgraded weapon you can one shot them all in about 45 seconds netting you around 20k echoes for basically no risk.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I just got to the DLC and I'm salivating about all the new weapons to use. The new whip looks so loving cool but my other character uses the threaded can and it seems like a waste of mechanics to have two whip guys.

My character is all strength and I've got a +9 Kirk hammer. What's the most logical/complementary DLC weapon for me to adopt?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Kingfish posted:

I just got to the DLC and I'm salivating about all the new weapons to use. The new whip looks so loving cool but my other character uses the threaded can and it seems like a waste of mechanics to have two whip guys.

My character is all strength and I've got a +9 Kirk hammer. What's the most logical/complementary DLC weapon for me to adopt?

Whirligig Saw or maybe Boom Hammer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Amygdalan arm or beast cutter, they have long sweeping attacks that you won't get out of the hammer

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Does the boom hammer scale with arcane? Also, I'm worried that it doesn't have a big enough moveset?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Boom hammer does have some arcane scaling, I was pretty satisfied when I used it with only high strength. The moveset is a bit more limited than other weapons, though.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 22, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The fire damage will scale with arcane but not drastically. It's also not a very good weapon in general and won't do much that your kirkhammer doesn't, other than some fire damage part of the time.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Beat Defiled Amygdala. The Gatling gun helped a little, but wasn’t as crucial as I thought it would be.

Watchdog of the Old Lords was definitely more difficult for me.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Digirat posted:

Amygdalan arm or beast cutter, they have long sweeping attacks that you won't get out of the hammer

As an Arm enthusiast definetly use the arm. The basic form is like a quicker less effective hammer but just as fun, but the transformed version has a surprising level of reach and some nifty moves, also looks creepy and weird. I found the beast cutter way too slow and not as effective.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Why does weird poo poo happen every time I make a dungeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNSm2Nphhs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Why does weird poo poo happen every time I make a dungeon

Too much insight irl. Consult your local brainsucker and he'll fix that right up for you.

edit: Weird gameplay tip I never though to try but actually works quite well in practice: If you're like me and have this persistent issue of dodging just a bit too late- BARELY too late, we're talking just a split second -here's something that might help. Bloodborne, like every Souls game except for DS1, only dodges/rolls when you release the circle button. It's a game logic thing, where the game has to decide if you intend to roll or to sprint. A tiny timer of a few frames starts and if you're still holding circle when it's over then you start sprinting. If you're like me and have a problem hitting the button too late because of that wrinkle, try pre-loading your dodges by holding circle JUST before the attack comes at you, then release at the right time to dodge. It's helped me out immensely.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 22, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Whirligig saw is more or less than the Kirkhammer with a twist: serrated damage when transformed. It just shreds a lot of bosses and it also ends with better STR scaling (S) instead of the A of Kirkhammer. But if you want to keep using the hammer, get the Amygdalam Arm as it works as 1h mace with HUGE stagger and transformed is a heavy hitting whip with really wide swings and great scaling (A). If you have to spend two rocks on this character, I'd go with the whirligig saw +10 and Amy's arm +10.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I think I am getting worse at this game the more I play it, but fortunately my Chalice Dungeon runs are soon coming to an end. Sometimes I can reliably parry Pthumerian Descendant three or four times in a row, but other times I can’t get him at all. His second phase is tough, and I am even worse at parrying him then.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

For me just going from parries with the pistol to the blunderbuss made it simple, but that may just be confirmation bias and not some secret power of the blunderbuss.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Never touched the blunderbuss. Will try it at some point. I need a break.

My strategy is to do a couple visceral attacks, then when he is just barely above 50% health I use flame paper and do another visceral attack and sail on him while he is transforming his weapon. I haven’t found a way to stop the transformation, and this method can leave him with just about 1/4 health remaining.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

the truth posted:

Never touched the blunderbuss. Will try it at some point. I need a break.

My strategy is to do a couple visceral attacks, then when he is just barely above 50% health I use flame paper and do another visceral attack and sail on him while he is transforming his weapon. I haven’t found a way to stop the transformation, and this method can leave him with just about 1/4 health remaining.

Trying things out is always a good idea so you should definitely go ahead and try the 'buss, but in my experience the longer delay before getting the shot off was hard to get used to and made parrying certain attacks almost impossible outside of random chance, a little bit like trying to parry with the Augur, but obviously not as bad.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Blunderbuss works well against Descendant because it will stagger him if you screw up. I don't think the Pistol does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xob00TINiHM

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

marshmallow creep posted:

For me just going from parries with the pistol to the blunderbuss made it simple, but that may just be confirmation bias and not some secret power of the blunderbuss.

It's not confirmation bias, the timing is slightly different. The blunderbuss takes very slightly longer to draw, so depending on your own reaction speed, it might be a more comfortable fit for you.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Descendant went down on my second or third try with the blunderbuss. I think the stagger helped, but I also got lucky again with the timing and was a lot more defensive than usual on the time I finally beat him.

Fighting Bloodletting Beast was pretty boring after so many variants (early game, early chalice dungeon, DLC, late chalice dungeon). The first few times I couldn’t reliably take off 25% of his health because I wasn’t putting much effort into analyzing his attack patterns - I just wanted to run up and get it over with as quickly as possible.

I switched over to the DLC and went through the research hall for the first time and made it to the garden on top the sky and cosmos are one, then went back to the chalice and beat the beast pretty easily. Fortunately I beat him in the first time I ever got to his second phase and didn’t get hit by the neck worm, so I don’t know if there is some kind of cool attack I didn’t get to see.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

And just like that, Queen Yharnam is gone. Time to finish the game and check out the endings, then read some lore and figure out what the hell is going on.

Editing my post so I am not spamming the thread, but I just went back to the DLC and took down Maria and holy loving poo poo

the truth fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 23, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RyokoTK posted:

It's not confirmation bias, the timing is slightly different. The blunderbuss takes very slightly longer to draw, so depending on your own reaction speed, it might be a more comfortable fit for you.

In a similar way Parrying with Evelyn has hosed my ability to parry with everything else, because it has an extremely elongated barrel for a pistol and fires at a timing that feels weird when you try it with any other gun.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 23, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I gave up and summoned for Orphan of Kos. :negative:

The last time I played, I'd just beaten whatever that one dude that makes you chase him around while rambling about Kos (or some say Kosm I've heard) and started tackling the DLC, getting to Orphan before getting distracted by other games. I tried throwing myself into the deep end a few days ago and just tackling him despite no longer being used to the game, but I started running out of vials and after the second depth 1 chalice I created to farm an easy 20k for more I ended up crying uncle. It's a shame, I feel like I probably could have done it given more time but I don't have it in me to spend another half hour farming a chalice dungeon for 4 more dozen attempts. I'll give it another try solo on another character, but this is the first time since Ornstein and Smough in DS1 I've had to summon on a boss out of frustration and it's...well, kind of frustrating.

Sorry for the super whiny post, just kind of annoyed I guess. Had an attempt where I got him down to literally two or three hits but I was having the same issue I remember running into during Ludwig, where the second form simply did too much damage to really get a feel for attacks and I just panicked and died repeatedly without learning anything beyond "he jumps a lot and hits like a motherfucker so stick close and pray".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so here's a hypothetical for the thread with an attached challenge;

let's say you're working for From/Japan Studio on Bloodborne back when it was still in development, when you get the news; the Chalice Dungeon system is being scrapped, you've been given the job of inserting all of the Chalice Dungeon's unique content(enemies, bosses, items, NPC's) into the main game and The Old Hunters where you feel it's appropriate, none of it is allowed to be left out(except the Chalice Materials and the Chalices, but they are setting aside a small amount of budget to allow you to repurpose them into having new uses if you wish)

to help compensate for the lost CD areas, the budget that was going to be used on the Chalice Dungeons is going to be used to expand the following areas more as needed to fit everything;

Healing Church Workshop(the town portion at the bottom of the tower to be specific)

Hemwick Charnel Lane(specifically the Witches Abode building)

Byrgenwerth

Forsaken Castle Cainhurst

Nightmare Frontier

Lecture Building

Nightmare of Mensis(the initial outdoor portion)

Mergo's Loft(the part between Micolash & Mergo's Wet Nurse)

your choice of The Hunter's Nightmare or The Research Hall

where do you place everything?

Hard Mode: all Chalice Dungeon Bosses not already present in the main game must be included as bosses, not just as regular enemies for the bosses that do that(Loran Silverbeast, Maneater Boar, and Brainsucker are exempt from this challenge)

Harder Mode: on top of the prior challenge also include at least one of Loran Silverbeast, Maneater Boar, or Brainsucker as an actual boss in a manner that would be fitting for the game(you're allowed to rearrange the encounters for the regular versions if you want the boss encounter the first time you encounter one, also for the Boar you can use the Mensis version)

for the purposes of this, the singular Beast-Possessed Soul you already encounter in the story doesn't count,
you have to include them in at least one other encounter

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Wrist Watch posted:

I gave up and summoned for Orphan of Kos. :negative:

The last time I played, I'd just beaten whatever that one dude that makes you chase him around while rambling about Kos (or some say Kosm I've heard) and started tackling the DLC, getting to Orphan before getting distracted by other games. I tried throwing myself into the deep end a few days ago and just tackling him despite no longer being used to the game, but I started running out of vials and after the second depth 1 chalice I created to farm an easy 20k for more I ended up crying uncle. It's a shame, I feel like I probably could have done it given more time but I don't have it in me to spend another half hour farming a chalice dungeon for 4 more dozen attempts. I'll give it another try solo on another character, but this is the first time since Ornstein and Smough in DS1 I've had to summon on a boss out of frustration and it's...well, kind of frustrating.

Sorry for the super whiny post, just kind of annoyed I guess. Had an attempt where I got him down to literally two or three hits but I was having the same issue I remember running into during Ludwig, where the second form simply did too much damage to really get a feel for attacks and I just panicked and died repeatedly without learning anything beyond "he jumps a lot and hits like a motherfucker so stick close and pray".

No shame in summoning if you're not having fun solo-ing a particular boss. I didn't find Orphan as punishing as I've heard some people say, but he definitely hits like a truck and moves super fast in his second phase. However, he has clear and fair tells (well, sometimes he animation-cancels like an rear end in a top hat but not very often and I don't think I've ever died because of it) and his moveset, while varied, isn't that expansive, so you can get a feel for what he's gonna do if you don't do the bolded thing.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Kingfish posted:

Does the boom hammer scale with arcane? Also, I'm worried that it doesn't have a big enough moveset?

i think every weapon scales with arcane

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

No shame in summoning if you're not having fun solo-ing a particular boss. I didn't find Orphan as punishing as I've heard some people say, but he definitely hits like a truck and moves super fast in his second phase. However, he has clear and fair tells (well, sometimes he animation-cancels like an rear end in a top hat but not very often and I don't think I've ever died because of it) and his moveset, while varied, isn't that expansive, so you can get a feel for what he's gonna do if you don't do the bolded thing.

Yeah, that's what's so frustrating about it. I feel like I could probably figure him out, given a dozen or two more tries, but the fact that the save I have was low on vials made it an incredibly irritating process.

Ludwig at least had the enemy dropping a few extra vials before him each attempt, Orphan felt like a really fun fight that I had to stop attempts at twice so I could go grind more tokens vials to fight him again. I had hit that point where I could parry/backstab the first form easily enough, but the second form I was too busy trying to not die to actually learn anything. I will say it was hilarious the first time I got to the second form only to get oneshot by lightning without realizing what happened though. If I had a hundred vials in storage I probably would have been fine, but I guess Ludwig/Maria/Failures kind of ground my stock down.

I think my favorite example of him animation cancelling though is during that one attack where he spins his placenta...blade...thing twice around himself, in a progressively larger circle. I assumed you could just dash through the first one for a few free hits, but nope if you do it too soon he'll happily just cancel it into a regular attack right when you think you're safe

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Wrist Watch posted:

Yeah, that's what's so frustrating about it. I feel like I could probably figure him out, given a dozen or two more tries, but the fact that the save I have was low on vials made it an incredibly irritating process.

Ludwig at least had the enemy dropping a few extra vials before him each attempt, Orphan felt like a really fun fight that I had to stop attempts at twice so I could go grind more tokens vials to fight him again. I had hit that point where I could parry/backstab the first form easily enough, but the second form I was too busy trying to not die to actually learn anything. I will say it was hilarious the first time I got to the second form only to get oneshot by lightning without realizing what happened though. If I had a hundred vials in storage I probably would have been fine, but I guess Ludwig/Maria/Failures kind of ground my stock down.

I think my favorite example of him animation cancelling though is during that one attack where he spins his placenta...blade...thing twice around himself, in a progressively larger circle. I assumed you could just dash through the first one for a few free hits, but nope if you do it too soon he'll happily just cancel it into a regular attack right when you think you're safe

That double-swing attack is definitely weird. I think it's actually two attacks that true-combo into each other, but if he decides to do just one part of it then his non-combo follow-up has a jerky animation. Or maybe it's just a bullshit animation-cancellation, I dunno.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s definitely two separate attacks.

The key to Soloing Orphan is that his animations for turning around take a long as time. If you can dodge through an attack to his back, he has to turn around and you can wail on him the entire time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

my new dog posted:

i think every weapon scales with arcane

That's not how they work.

Boomhammer scales off strength AND arcane because it has split damage but only does fire damage when you buff it but just one hit.

All weapons have arcane scaling (A, B or whatever) but only if you put elemental gems to convert them into fire, bolt or arcane. Let's say the Saw Cleaver, at +10 is C(str)/D(skl)/C(arc) so if you put only +physical gems, it'll only scale off STR and SKL but if you put an elemental gem and transform its damage to fire/bolt/arcane, it will have a C scaling off arcane and only from that stat.

Split weapons like the Tonitrus or Holy Moonlight Sword benefit from STR (less so from SKL) and ARC at the same time.

Edit: I lost my previous Lady Maria kill with tentacles, cornering her and spamming Augur for an easy kill so there's another showing why Augur is the best tool ever, and yes, I panicked towards the end and pressed L1 instead of R1 :v::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V32sS1wdaI

(still processing higher resolutions atm)

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 23, 2017

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

so yeah the chikage is fukken ballersauce yall

I just finished getting my Bloodtinge up to 50 and started back on my journey to the unlock FRC root dungeons. First opponent in the lineup? The Bloodletting Beast. My transformed Chikage charged R2 did over 1000 damage! And my gems, while pretty good (all three are +20% physical damage, give or take a percentage point or two), are still going to continue to improve. Holy poo poo. I can't believe that the damage potential is actually even higher. This weapon is amazing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That's cool and all but you're supposed to mainly use the L1 moves

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
gently caress that, use R2 exclusively and kill yourself before the boss can.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah I did a Chikage / Bloodletter + Evelyn run and it was pretty fun. Getting through Ludwig and Maria at a low-ish level is rough tho

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Started a new run and went straight for the dlc soon as to get the bowblade for a skl weapon and oh boy oh boy simon is one tough motherfucker.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I thought I was doing well to have the boom hammer early as I did but then I cooped with a guy who had the bowblade in Charnel Lane and that dude was one shotting the big axe men.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

I thought I was doing well to have the boom hammer early as I did but then I cooped with a guy who had the bowblade in Charnel Lane and that dude was one shotting the big axe men.

To be fair he probably has it leveled to at least +8, probably has good gems in it, and is probably a BLT build

Also I think the bowblade's arrows are technically Thrust damage and those axe guys are weak to thrust(and bolt)

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sapozhnik posted:

That's cool and all but you're supposed to mainly use the L1 moves

Yeah, I'm definitely still trying to get the hang of this loving thing. The Hunter Axe is like a Schwinn and Ludwig's Holy Blade is a like a sensible mid-range sedan, and stepping up from those to a 500 horsepower, 10-cylinder "Crotch Rocket of the Gods" Dodge Tomahawk during an earthquake in the middle of a loving hailstorm.

Maybe I'm just teeming with stupid germs, but I was just barely keeping up with the boss fights in this game, and now I'm a new moveset, account for transformation attacks at the beginnings and ends of combos, carefully monitoring my constantly-depleting health, and trying to learn how to play unlocked for the first time in any of these games, I feel like it's a lot of extra plates to keep spinning all at once.

And it's loving awesome. I'm going to try and give Simon's Bowblade a whirl here in a bit and see how that feels. I love the decision to give practically every weapon two different ranges, movesets, and damage values. Battles feel so much more active than other entries in the Soulsborne catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I also really enjoy that your R2s change depending on where in a combo you do them, and some weapons have a follow up R2 attack after a charged R2, and all the transform attacks... it is harder to go back to the other games since I've enjoyed all these things!