Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

No it's pretty bad

Ate some witchwood. I immediately regret this decision.

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

DOW III free weekend.

Installed it, got up until about halfway through the third mission, quit and uninstalled. So disappointing. I can't put my finger on why other than it just felt like it had no soul.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That's a bummer, I had a ton of fun with the first Dawn of War. The whole game is just overly bellicose space marine bluster I assume?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Really too many things to touch on for why that game is bad. It is like they looked at what made dawn of war 1 or 2 fun for their respective fans and decided to ignore that and aim for a different market.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

That's a bummer, I had a ton of fun with the first Dawn of War. The whole game is just overly bellicose space marine bluster I assume?

Not even. I'd have loved that. The dialogue and everything just seemed wooden and fell flat. Both the writing and the voice acting. The gameplay didn't grab me at all either.

For the record I loved the first two DOW games. Hell I started the first one in the middle of my first deployment when I was on a tiny no shower poo poo burning COP and that's what started me off on 40k.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Vasudus posted:

ELEX status: eurojank too strong, but I have 5 hours in so I can't get a refund. Fug.

Guess I'll just have to hope they patch it.

Um. What the gently caress is eurojank?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
ABU HAJAAR WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxbBlTg2W1o

Watch in wonder as my pan blocks multiple shotgun hits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zj-9K3cYro

Dude thought he was John Wick with his silenced pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_H8LeKVfLU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Poor Mehmet.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ded posted:

Um. What the gently caress is eurojank?

It would seem that the term has fallen out of common vernacular!

Eurojank used to be used to describe all of the pitfalls of a small, non-English speaking country developer studio in one word. So you've got your standard small developer problems like "we couldn't afford a proper physics engine" or "we couldn't afford our own music" in combination with that charming aspect of 'oh jesus what language are these crash logs in?!'. For the longest time the eastern europeans were the only ones churning out good RPGs (CDPR for Witcher, Larian for the Divinity series, etc.) so you would have to deal with these things.

In the case of ELEX, it's the absolutely horribly janky combat system in combination with a busted progression system. Right now I'm level 7 and I've done every quest that I can in the first region, gotten the best sword that I can equip along with a full set of armor, and everything still wrecks me even with the first companion. There's a pack of humanoid NPCs right outside my player camp that I get absolutely destroyed by, I've got a quest to destroy 5 raptors that I can't complete even though they're my level, and that's it. The remaining quests are located in areas with a shitload of skull-level mobs that one shot me. If the combat system wasn't so horrible I could probably kite a few things but it's surprisingly difficult. I'm going to try again today maybe but ughhhhhhhh.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

ded posted:

ABU HAJAAR WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxbBlTg2W1o

Watch in wonder as my pan blocks multiple shotgun hits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zj-9K3cYro

Dude thought he was John Wick with his silenced pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_H8LeKVfLU

What software are you using to edit those videos?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

TCD posted:

What software are you using to edit those videos?

I am being extremely lazy. I just cut them down using avidemux and send the raw video to youtube. I was using it to compress the videos before with mpeg4 AVC x264 & mp4v2 muxer but youtube seems to hate that and lowers the resolution even more. Since I can upload a 1gb video in like 20-30 seconds I just say gently caress it now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't think John Wick even saw you there. He was watching everyone else above you.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That makes it even worse lmbo

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I am now approaching Qud as a mutated barbarian with four arms and four legs. I wear the faces of my dead enemies as masks into battle. Snapjaws stand in horror as I dismember them and beat them to death with their own limbs.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

On the last map in Strife, overall it's been a good game.
The melee weapon is actually decent, and after finding 3 icons of hate hidden throughout the game that grant super-strength, it can kill most enemies in 1 or 2 hits.
Strife's Bosses are immune to normal weapons damage, and only die to the Strife version of the BFG, which uses your health as ammo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Found a section of ruins where it rained vinewafers and shotgun shells. Manna from heaven.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i fail at the obstacle course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnlvwWixioM

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Any of your dudes getting Destiny 2 on PC?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Dude McAwesome posted:

I thought about it since I liked the first one well enough. Probably going to wait and see how it reviews before I pull the trigger though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I need a new game to play since I struck out with ELEX.

I don't know poo poo about destiny but isn't it an MMO? I don't do MMOs anymore.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Dude McAwesome posted:

Yeah, looking forward to it.

Also have the same Civ VI Digital Deluxe coupon that was mentioned if someone still needed it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dude McAwesome posted:

Yeah

I had it on PS4 but was quickly reminded why I loving hate playing FPS games on gamepad

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

:smug:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Vasudus posted:

I need a new game to play since I struck out with ELEX.

I don't know poo poo about destiny but isn't it an MMO? I don't do MMOs anymore.

You'll bump into other people out in the world, but the majority of the missions are solo unless you bring a friend or two. Strikes are basically co-op missions with two other people, either you bring them or via matchmaking. The raid(s) are you and five friends without matchmaking, so you have to preorganize.

The biggest issue with Destiny is that there's gently caress-all for content: There's no reason to run Strikes, the raid isn't nearly as interesting/novel as the first raid in Destiny 1 was, and with the removal of randomized perks on loot, there's not even an incentive to play just to end up with the God Tier rolls on your favorite gun.

The gunplay is the strongest it's ever been on a console shooter, but the game desperately needs more content and to unfuck the initial decisions holding it back, just like Destiny 1 before they released the Year 2 expansion.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Eh, pass then.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
isn't destiny a game just like warframe

except without the chinese freaking out about robots and adding child soldiers to fix that

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Finally finished the XCOM 2 expansion. Had to force myself to stop victory lapping. Once I killed all the chosen things became absurdly easy. Had fun, but the tension evaporated in the late game.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

isn't destiny a game just like warframe

except without the chinese freaking out about robots and adding child soldiers to fix that

Never touched Warframe.

Basically, it's the shooting of Halo combined with a few magic space powers and randomized drops with static perks. They intentionally set out to make the PvP side of Destiny 2 into an e-sport, so a lot of the fun/replayability from Destiny 1 was savagely beaten into a uniform slurry.

As an example, let's say you have a gun named "My Dick is Fight": This gun will have stats set in stone based on whatever archetype it is (fast firing, low damage / balanced / slow firing, high damage, etc.)

In Destiny 1, "My Dick is Fight" could roll different perks. Some combinations of these are leaps and bounds better than anything else available and the only way to acquire them is to play the game and hope they drop.

In Destiny 2, any weapon named "My Dick is Fight" will have the exact same stats and perks available. There is no more "Play the game and hope X version of Y weapon drops", it's now just "Play the game and hope X drops".

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you weren't completely in love with Destiny 1, don't buy it yet on PC or otherwise.

Wait until they release the actual giant content update next year: That's when the actual good development team that fixed all the issues in Destiny 1 is supposed to hop on and unfuck everything.

After that, maybe ask around a bit before throwing down your money.

Shockules
May 2, 2017
I'm gonna hop into destiny 2 at launch for PC without playing the first since I have a bunch of friends playing. It looks like I'll get my money's worth out of it and I'm not planning on get all spergy about playing it. Planning on just playing it fairly casually which should give the devs time to update and add poo poo in. I know right now that a lot of the console players are pissed off because there's not much to do for end game but I got plenty of other games I'm already balancing right now so I'm not too worried about being bored with it.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

That low health squad wipe tho drat son

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

The Rat posted:

Finally finished the XCOM 2 expansion. Had to force myself to stop victory lapping. Once I killed all the chosen things became absurdly easy. Had fun, but the tension evaporated in the late game.

Late game is such a slog. Near the end I really wanted to skip terror events but the penalty is too great. It's a real shame, because the Chosen really do make the first half of the game tense as gently caress. Feeling like one bad mission could send your entire playthrough into a death spiral is what makes XCOM great, but once the Chosen are gone that's all but impossible.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I beat the three chosen and stopped playing. I don't like the victory lap.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Man, I am getting rekt as an Esper in the first dungeon in CoQ :( . One or two proselytize resists really fucks me over. Anyone got any helpful tips or some other neato character builds I could try?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Missionary Positron posted:

Man, I am getting rekt as an Esper in the first dungeon in CoQ :( . One or two proselytize resists really fucks me over. Anyone got any helpful tips or some other neato character builds I could try?

Multi-limbed mutant is working for me. You can carry a light source and a shield in your left two arms, and two weapons and two guns in your right two arms. Use battle axes and put points into dismember (severed enemy parts make great masks/weapons). Also put points into butchery and eat everything you kill. Don't go straight into the first dungeon, roam around the surface killing snapjaws for a while. You'll get XP and some basic gear.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what roguelike have you guys been talking about the past 10 pages or so?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Caves of Qud

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Multi-limbed mutant is working for me. You can carry a light source and a shield in your left two arms, and two weapons and two guns in your right two arms. Use battle axes and put points into dismember (severed enemy parts make great masks/weapons). Also put points into butchery and eat everything you kill. Don't go straight into the first dungeon, roam around the surface killing snapjaws for a while. You'll get XP and some basic gear.

Thanks, I'll give that a try :).

EDIT:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 23, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's been at least several weeks since I last bitched about Steam's intentional lack of filters so I have to browse their garbage dating anime games looking for something new to play. I guess they're not classifying games as "anime" sometimes despite very clearly being that loving garbage so it still shows up sometimes. Goddamn capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Dude McAwesome posted:

I'll be on there as well. Didn't play the first Destiny so I am going in blind.

It's something to pass the time when I'm not med boarding, so I have low expectations.