Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if only timb read the bastion of knowledge and wisdom that is the yospos CraPPle thread, the company would turn around and finally start making a profit and finally the shareholders would be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

best in class 5k monitor

come again

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

echinopsis posted:

if only timb read the bastion of knowledge and wisdom that is the yospos CraPPle thread, the company would turn around and finally start making a profit and finally the shareholders would be happy

I agree ! If tim doesn’t read this thread he’s outta job in a year or LESS

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if tim read this thread he might've at least made a laptop keyboard that isn't utterly wrecked by a single piece of dust

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

welp, that was me mis-remembering. 1440p was the best they ever did with thunderbolt displays before they threw in the towel

shameful

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

reminder: apple had a single port dock that was also a best in class 5k monitor and they stopped making it to sell some trash from lg that exploded around wifi

before thunderbolt 3 there was no transport capable of carrying a 5k 60Hz video signal, so it couldn’t be done in an external monitor.

there is only one 5k monitor on the market, and it only works with macs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

before thunderbolt 3 there was no transport capable of carrying a 5k 60Hz video signal, so it couldn’t be done in an external monitor.

sorry mate
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-8k-monitor-up3218k/apd/210-alez/monitors-monitor-accessories

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

The Management posted:

a
c
t
u
a
l
l
y

dell makes a 5k too

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Make me CEO of Apple and I'll bring back the 2012 style "fat" unibody macbook pro with actual repairable, modular replaceable innards, a giant battery, spillproof goddamn keyboard and I'll switch out whatever bullshit natural rubber cables they keep making with regular PVC that doesn't rot and fall off the cable after a year.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

excuse me this is the post PC age

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Turns out producing a laptop where the keyboard fails after 12 months wasn't a fuckup but a calculated move, because selling durable products hurts their profitability.

Ideally your existing product should break about the same time we introduce this years shiny new thing.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

Input Connectors
2xDisplayPort

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nice goalpost shifting from the only monitor to the only cable

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

maskenfreiheit posted:

i love my headphone port, how long does yospos think i can keep my 6s

2019 easy, 2020 with an android-tier experience

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

nice goalpost shifting from the only monitor to the only cable

let me move them further.

quote:

It’s a good thing 8K is a niche, because nothing is ready for it. Connection standards aren’t ready for it, so two DisplayPort connections must be used at once, as was true with Dell’s 5K monitor. Most video cards aren’t ready for it, so only the latest hardware from AMD and Nvidia can drive it. Windows isn’t ready for it, so we ran across numerous bugs, from wallpapers that didn’t fully load to a display driver that regularly crashed just while browsing the web.

this is a giant hack.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

let me move them further.

this is a giant hack.

yes, yet it exists as a commercial product. for me a 5k that can only be connected to a mac is an equal hack

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yes, yet it exists as a commercial product. for me a 5k that can only be connected to a mac is an equal hack

it can be connected to any product that supports DisplayPort at x3 speeds and any OS that can support 5k displays without making GBS threads itself. currently both of those are only made by apple.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

The Management posted:

combine that with the docking model, where you ideally only plug in one cable and you get your power, display, usb and thunderbolt peripherals, and networking from the same socket. only one cable to plug in when you’re at your desk, zero cables to plug in when you’re at starbucks.

i bet that like 90% of the people dont plug in anything to their laptop ever other than power

this could be fixed in a future way with qi charging. hopefully its physically possible to transfer the 60W+ a laptop gets without frying the internal organs of the people around it. also good luck telling jonny the laptop cant be unibody anymore because it needs a glass window at the bottom for charging.

if thats too much power for qi then welp i guess we just found the killer app for switching macbooks to arm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
1080p is good enough for anyone - bill steven gates

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

it can be connected to any product that supports DisplayPort at x3 speeds and any OS that can support 5k displays without making GBS threads itself. currently both of those are only made by apple.

tech specs explicitly say it requires a tb3-enabled mac running sierra or later

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

i bet that like 90% of the people dont plug in anything to their laptop ever other than power

this could be fixed in a future way with qi charging. hopefully its physically possible to transfer the 60W+ a laptop gets without frying the internal organs of the people around it. also good luck telling jonny the laptop cant be unibody anymore because it needs a glass window at the bottom for charging.

if thats too much power for qi then welp i guess we just found the killer app for switching macbooks to arm

the management could probably confirm than an a11 or maybe 2 would be probably better

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

r u ready to WALK posted:

Turns out producing a laptop where the keyboard fails after 12 months wasn't a fuckup but a calculated move, because selling durable products hurts their profitability.

Ideally your existing product should break about the same time we introduce this years shiny new thing.
people really have not seemed to grasp this despite years and years intentional fragility, while we have immense amount of knowledge and expertise to make something v durable with very little/if any additional costs.

the trick is not fail so often that people consider it a piece of trash and buy something else, and also convincing people they're getting quality engineered products that totally is no way engineered to not last no sir

poty
Jun 21, 2008

actually thinking about it for a minute if
- the laptop is on top of the qi mat
- your stupid kid trips over the mats cable

...then your laptop is probably crashing to the ground anyway

just dont have kids i guess

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
do the new MBPs not have a headphone jack

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

bump_fn posted:

do you feel courageous?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Wheany posted:

do you feel courageous?

lol at them trying to brand usbc as "thunderbolt 3"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

nah both sizes do have them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
related: what does the touchbar do in boot camp? does it just simulate a normal f-key row?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

lol at them trying to brand usbc as "thunderbolt 3"

thunderbolt 3 is a superset of usb-c. 4 times faster, 8 dp 1.2 lanes, 4 PCIe lanes, but requires special hardware to make use of it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thunderbolt 3 is a superset of usb-c. 4 times faster, 8 dp 1.2 lanes, 4 PCIe lanes, but requires special hardware to make use of it.

does apple still not make a display that uses thunderbolt 3 lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

related: what does the touchbar do in boot camp? does it just simulate a normal f-key row?

media keys and f-keys, alternating with fn held

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

does apple still not make a display that uses thunderbolt 3 lol

apple stopped making displays at all, there's now an lg panel that uses tb3 and is marketed on apple store

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that is the only tb3 monitor i am aware of

poty
Jun 21, 2008

they promised a new display for next year when they said theyre working on a new mac pro

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

r u ready to WALK posted:

afaik none of the 2016 MBPs are even out of warranty yet. i think they just genuinely didn't think that making the moving parts on your laptop completely intolerant to foreign objects would be a problem

ufarn
May 30, 2009
what's the deal on these framerate drops on the new iphones in ios 11?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios has been dogshit for years

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

welp, that was me mis-remembering. 1440p was the best they ever did with thunderbolt displays before they threw in the towel

shameful

well, clearly Apple bowed down to the superior brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

shameful

apple displays were always repacked panels that dell was using which means many of them were fine and good, aside from the markup. when you look at dell and don't see them making a monitor with the specs you want, it means its not gonna work. someone at lucky goldstar somehow convinced apple otherwise and the result was the comedy anti-wifi displays.