Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Lurken posted:

In my group's previous session of Edge of the Empire, I got my only triumph roll of the entire campaign so far inspecting the body of an alien smuggler to see if he had expired.

We can now say with 100% certainty that he died of the gunshot wounds in his back.

That's not really how that's supposed to work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Bubblyblubber posted:

I even modeled dobster to 3d print him in all his retarded glory.

All hail dobster, he of the sideways shuffle because his lobster legs are longer than his dog legs.
:perfect:

This needs some love!

kaffo posted:

Elendor Godender Part 2: The Revenge of the Burning Bookshop
Keep Elendor stories coming, please!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

cigaw posted:

:perfect:

This needs some love!

This needs a kickstarter!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I would hella latch onto this throwaway NPC creature.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Elendor part 3 will be a while goon friends
I'm on holiday until Wednesday next week, but I'll be sure to :justpost: when I'm back

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurken posted:

In my group's previous session of Edge of the Empire, I got my only triumph roll of the entire campaign so far inspecting the body of an alien smuggler to see if he had expired.

We can now say with 100% certainty that he died of the gunshot wounds in his back.

Mendrian posted:

That's not really how that's supposed to work...
Yeah, a Triumph on an investigation check should at the least net you some blue dice for a later related check. "As you're checking for a pulse you find in a <a hidden pocket/his wallet> containing <an access card, this weeks sign/countersigns, a list of smuggler caches, a couple of hundred credits>"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

A lithium ion battery is usually abbreviated to 'li-ion'
So name the kid Leon.
Lee on.
Li-on
:dadjoke:

I'm also loving Dobster and kaffo coming to terms with previously being "That jerk" and hopefully coming around

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

kaffo posted:

I present to you:
Elendor Godender Part 2: The Revenge of the Burning Bookshop

Next time:
Elendor finds out he's actually not useless without any magicka!

This is magnificently terrible, keep the stories coming.

Bubblyblubber posted:

I even modeled dobster to 3d print him in all his retarded glory.

All hail dobster, he of the sideways shuffle because his lobster legs are longer than his dog legs.

Beautiful.

For content, in one of my campaigns one of our characters has a pocket paradise that we've been (ab)using for escaping in the middle of hard fights, safely resting, etc. For historical reasons which I don't remember, the paradise is actually a paradise for one of the party's throw away beetle mounts, which we of course kept forever. It was Beetle Heaven, as we called it. My understanding was that it was heaven for ALL beetles, where Good Beetles would go when they died to frolic with other beetles and enjoy tasty things and whatever it is beetles do for fun. So, creepy and gross and filled to the loving brim with beetles, but otherwise harmless.

Sadly, the DM clarified that it was in fact only a paradise for OUR mount, and that there are no other beetles there. Still weird, but not "the floor is bugs" weird. I cannot describe how disappointed I am to learn this, especially since I was the only one to misunderstand this.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Your version is much better. Admittedly, my immediate thought was 'don't go near the area the dung beetles have staked out', followed by 'what if the pocket dimension was invaded by interdimensional otyughs, and the party has to save beetle heaven?'

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
In the last session of Unknown Armies, my players needed to get into an mental hospital to get information from a patient. Their method? Get committed. The epideromancer tried to have sex with one of the metal detectors. The conspiracy theorist tried to pull him away and shouted "No! that's your father!". Meanwhile the gunsels took advantage of the confusion to slip past security.

The Bodybuilder adept just voluntarily checked himself in for 24 hour observation. To which the epideromancer responded OOC: "Wait...you can do that?"

The session ended with them kidnapping a child and now they're probably wanted by the FBI.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Manofmanusernames posted:

In the last session of Unknown Armies, my players needed to get into an mental hospital to get information from a patient. Their method? Get committed. The epideromancer tried to have sex with one of the metal detectors. The conspiracy theorist tried to pull him away and shouted "No! that's your father!". Meanwhile the gunsels took advantage of the confusion to slip past security.

The Bodybuilder adept just voluntarily checked himself in for 24 hour observation. To which the epideromancer responded OOC: "Wait...you can do that?"

The session ended with them kidnapping a child and now they're probably wanted by the FBI.

I'm not saying there's a right way to play Unknown Armies, however...

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
So, don't have the energy to do a full type up of the last few sessions but, a couple of highlights include:
  • Defeating a ghoul made out of other ghouls with the power of friendship and belief.
  • Starting a prison riot and jailbreak while riding the outside a magical goblin mecha.
  • Defeating a giant catfish-kraken monster by terraforming the map, turning the swamp from a swamp to a temperate forest.
  • Defeating an ambush by summoning three more ambushes.
  • Suplexing kaiju-sized worm into a soft bed of dozens of refugee bodies. They did not survive.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ysengrin posted:

So, don't have the energy to do a full type up of the last few sessions but, a couple of highlights include:
  • Defeating a ghoul made out of other ghouls with the power of friendship and belief.

Was that how you defeated the ghouls, or did the ghouls have a big speech about how their friendship would win out of everything, then do a huge transformation sequence as they fused together into ghoul voltron?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A Ghoultron, if you will.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
please do not destroy the habitat of poor innocent catfish krakens, thank you

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Was that how you defeated the ghouls, or did the ghouls have a big speech about how their friendship would win out of everything, then do a huge transformation sequence as they fused together into ghoul voltron?

Senerio posted:

A Ghoultron, if you will.

I wish I had thought of Ghoultron, I was the GM and it was more Demon's Souls Phalanx.

They just weaponized the magical frequency of friendship into a giant lightning cannon, and then also hit it with a star made out of hope and prayers. Like, in the literal sense: stuffed a giant magic ball with prayer until it was glowing as bright as the sun, and then smacked the Megaghoul after melting half of it with friendship.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus. the Care Bears RPG is hardcore.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
HUGS FOR THE HUG GOD!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Samizdata posted:

HUGS FOR THE HUG GOD!
PLUSH FOR THE PLUSH THRONE

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
IT IS A GOOD DAY TO DINE WITH LOVED ONES

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
THE RED WUNZ IS SOFTER

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
IT IS BETTER TO CARE FOR ANOTHER THAN LIVE FOR ONESELF

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Roast beef is a dish best served cold.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Four thousands fists may be bumped in one night by a running man.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
To hug your enemies, see them seated before you, and hear the compliments of their mothers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We must hug together, or hug separately.

Edit gently caress, it should've been "or be hugged separately".

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 22, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
THERE IS ONLY INNOCENCE, NEVER DEGREES OF GUILT!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Someone please run this game and post the story.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
A CLOSED MIND IS AN *~open heart~*

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Much like the Emperor, the care-a-lot meter has been at zero for millennia, but the collective disbelief of the care bears continues to sustain them. Should they ever truly realize that nobody actually gives a gently caress, the results would be apocalyptic.

I would love to hear a trip report of this game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We'll make you believe in being nice... by showing you what happens when we aren't. :black101:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
In response to today's events the members of the Psychological Sciences' Science and Security Board have set the Care Bear Countdown to one.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 23, 2017

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
So here's an anecdote from last weeks' D&D game. A cautionary tale of swimming and misunderstood probability.

I agreed to play in a buddy's campaign who I've only played with a few times, and never had him DM. Cool. I made a sorcerer to join a party with a druid and a rogue. The rogue didn't show, so two characters are left and we agree to play out some backstory elements. Off we go.

Social stuff went fine, boiling down to a few opposed skill checks (insight vs bluff/diplo/intim). We survived a few small combats, including a cool pirate fight on a boat. So far so good. Then we start exploring some ruins...

Biggest mistake: asking for too many checks while doing exploration. Perception checks at every new room? Checks to open doors, jump over things, and pretty much anything besides walking? Multiple checks to climb the same thing? Yep we did all that, badly. When he asked for a second check for me to climb something, I had to remind him that the more checks you ask for, the more likely I am to fail at the task. That didn't click with him, he still wanted the check, so I burned a spell to teleport past and beat the odds. Hurray for magic.

After going through this mathematical gauntlet, and low on health after a few unseen traps, we get to the water. There's a coastal area with a map of sunk boats, wooden platforms, pillar things to apparently grapple across, and a house on an island way out there. I looked to the other player and we just flat-out refused to go in the water. "Let's go find a boat or something."

There were no boats.

Eventually we rip off and toss in a wooden door, then jump in and plan to start paddling with the door as a wooden life raft. But after we toss it in, the door starts to float away, and we both fail our checks to 'catch the door' or whatever. Holy poo poo. Druid then also fails an athletics check to swim. The DM grimly says 'you now have a level of exhaustion'. In 5e that means you now have to roll your checks twice and take the lowest number, putting your odds of surviving this hellswim around 0.

Normally I'm pretty laid back with DMs. Hell, I'm usually the DM, I know how it feels and I try not to cite rules or critique things (like all this poo poo above, which I mostly suffered through) or be that guy. But we reached the limit. Game stops while we ask him to please look up whatever rule he is using so we don't drown in a bathtub. He starts reading from the DM book: 'make an athletics check to continue swimming or gain a level of exhaustion.' See, it's right there, don't blame him if the rules are harsh. Should have found a loving boat.

But the whole sentence is 'after an hour, make a check...', that whole thing is about herculean efforts of marathon swimming or something stupid and isn't the rule for normal swimming. He couldn't find normal swimming there. So I ask him the obvious thing: "when should we ever have to roll to swim?" and point out the movement sections of the rules. You only have to roll if things are difficult - a choppy sea, rapid river, whatever. Same for climbing or jumping, all the poo poo we had been doing. If it's calm conditions, you just do it, no problem. Is this water rough? Nope it's pretty calm.

"Oh. We have never played like that. I had a character die to drowning once."

:doh:

We swam across without incident and called it a night.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ugh.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A classic case of following the (misinterpreted) rules over common sense and enjoyable gameplay.

Ugh.

Off topic: where is a good online place to buy fantasy lead figures? I want to start building a collection. Heroes and undead to start with for a campaign I’m starting up but eventually I want a deep bench.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

More TTRPGs need to make it clear when to roll and when not to roll. Hell, I've seen GMs (plural) be surprised about how often I take 10 in Pathfinder games in TYOOL 2017 despite the fact that taking 10 is 3.x's own admission that you don't need to roll for everything. (PF is definitely not my first choice of game, but it's what those two GMs "knew" in the face of inertia.)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The amount of pushback against taking 10 I've seen over the years with various GMs confuses the gently caress out of me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

senrath posted:

The amount of pushback against taking 10 I've seen over the years with various GMs confuses the gently caress out of me.

It's probably because it makes the vestigal nature of dungeon trap design a lot more obvious. Since there isn't a random encounter cost for delaying to deal with a trap, and it's sensible to take 10 rather than risk a roll, the DM is in the unfortunate situation of essentially deciding 'they can / cannot disarm this trap', based on whether the DC is greater than the rogue's trap finding skill +10.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
...which is another way of saying, "traps in isolation are dumb, and should not be used as a random number sink to drain resources (hit points) away from the PCs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tunicate posted:

It's probably because it makes the vestigal nature of dungeon trap design a lot more obvious. Since there isn't a random encounter cost for delaying to deal with a trap, and it's sensible to take 10 rather than risk a roll, the DM is in the unfortunate situation of essentially deciding 'they can / cannot disarm this trap', based on whether the DC is greater than the rogue's trap finding skill +10.

Actually it felt more like "I don't like that you can just choose to succeed at a skill you've invested time into unless there's literally someone attacking you while you try to do it" than anything approaching sensible. I should note that most of these GMs were running prepackaged adventures (modules, PFS, etc). To use an example featuring what brought this up, the reactions would be less "oh, we've never used those rules" and more "I don't want you to use those rules because then there's no ~tension~" (read: I don't get to watch your characters randomly drown if you're always succeeding).

senrath fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 25, 2017