Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I think part of the "pushing her character way too hard" problem comes with two of the episodes airing out of order (one hasn't aired yet and was supposed the 3rd ep and the terrafirmian being released early instead of after next week's ep), thus front loading episodes that focused on her together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Glomgold and McDuck make the episode worth it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

RandomPauI posted:

Glomgold and McDuck make the episode worth it.

Glomgold's sincerity in his villainy is surprisingly charming, he's just so impassioned that you can't help but kind of root for the guy.

Mark Beaks though? gently caress that guy and his wanting to join the 3 comma club

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fortunately, Webby rules

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like new Glomgold but I feel like how people feel about new Gyro: It doesn't feel like the same character at all.

Glomgold was a nasty bastard, I guess it's hard to keep the series upbeat and fun with a character like that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Symbolic Butt posted:

I like new Glomgold but I feel like how people feel about new Gyro: It doesn't feel like the same character at all.

Glomgold was a nasty bastard, I guess it's hard to keep the series upbeat and fun with a character like that.

I mean he did leave his employees, four children, and a senior citizen to drown in the first episode, that's pretty loving metal.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
the show's emphasis is heavily on jokes, so most things will be sacrificed to the alter of that.

To contrast this the drama between Scrooge and Donald wasn't sacrificed to comedy and the contrast made that very effective. I just hope they can keep that up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems implied that the Duckburg Billionaires' Club is literally just Scrooge and Glomgold, with the club room literally divided in half between them. Also interesting that their attempt at teamwork goes about as well as you'd expect because they don't really have enough in common to collaborate. Scrooge doesn't really do attacking people unless it involves one-upping them or exposing their misdeeds (often both) while Glomgold is an outright supervillain with all the pettiness and casual sociopathy that implies. (and y'know, their whole conflict is mostly based on their utterly conflicting philosophies)

Beaks is definitely showing some interesting traits; he only ever becomes remotely fazed or angry when things don't go according to plan. Dealing with a corporate saboteur enraged to the point of murder works into his plans perfectly, so he doesn't panic until he runs out of ways to get fame for it. In his own way the guy's got nerves of steel to rival Scrooge, though it seems to also be narcissism and self-absorption. And it's a powerfully effective combination of Huey's knack for organisation and lists and Dewey's improvisation and bluffing. (and Louie would probably approve of his tactic to make a billion dollars with the least effort just by exploiting gullible investors taken in by buzzwords and marketing)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Now I want to see how Heath Ledger's Joker would have foiled Beaks's plan.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I assume some independent party opened up the club for billionaires to get money from the billionaire ducks that lived in their city, but it turns out Scrooge and Glomgold are both too cheap to do anything but glare at each other.

Either that or the whole club was a trap set by Glomgold.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I liked the Mark Beaks character more than I thought I would. I was expecting a very shallow "millennials and their phones, am I right?" character but he seems like he's willfully playing into that stereotype for personal gain. I like that he shows a lot of competency and he has a strong poker face but also does genuinely seem like kind of an idiot; it's hard to determine when he's being a scheming Kickstarter fraudster putting on airs of a hip Silicon Valley CEO, or when he's very sincerely diving off a building to catch a cellphone. It seems like to some degree he's so fake that it loops around and becomes real. I was expecting him to just be a really lovely Simpsons guest star character but there's meat on the character's hooks.

I really like the show but I wish they'd dial back the focus on humor juuust a little bit and let the plots play out. This was kind of a flaw I had with Gravity Falls, the mystery and supernatural elements were compelling and the jokes were generally pretty good, but at times it felt like the jokes were overshadowing things when they shouldn't be. By the end when Gravity Falls started taking itself seriously it felt a little... off in some ways because it hadn't given itself enough time to breathe at earlier points. This show has a lot of strong ideas but it feels like it's still trying to find some direction. I'm optimistic that they can find it, because this show really feels like it could become something great.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 22, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On the Billionaires club the Room Scrooge and Glomgold were in was stated to be for the elite members. So I assume there is a few more members.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I agree, Mark Beaks was a surprisingly great character. It's something about his fake amiability that they got so right. I wonder what's next for him now... Mark Beaks' Initial Coin Offering?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Of course you get the two richest members of the club their own room and encourage them to engage in one-upmanship in it so they're willing to buy fancy stuff to not be outmatched by the other and occasionally leave forgotten suitcases of ten million bucks around. It seems shown that while both Scrooge and Glomgold are cheap on a personal level, they aren't averse to spending huge amounts of money on something for their own satisfaction or convenience. (which I think is true to the comics; Scrooge will simply buy his way through an obstacle if he doesn't have the patience or time to work around it, but when not under stress he'll default to being a cheapskate)

Mark Beaks is a mix of Silicon Valley stereotypes, basically the Tech Bubble personified; style over substance and taking advantage of people's cupidity, greed and poor understanding of technology to make them invest in nothing but empty promises vaguely related to massively popular things. Not to mention the way he runs his company; lots of quirky policies and fun facilities but the actual culture is cutthroat and exploitative as Glomgold Enterprises. Appearance is Google, Facebook and Amazon, but practice is more Twitter or Uber.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Worst part of the EP is #YOLO

Glomgold is the best

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Symbolic Butt posted:

I agree, Mark Beaks was a surprisingly great character. It's something about his fake amiability that they got so right. I wonder what's next for him now... Mark Beaks' Initial Coin Offering?

Well if Glomglod gets his way what's next for Mark Beaks is dying in a volcano.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I liked how in Glomgold's slide it looked like it was an old-timey bicycle messenger delivering the yacht party invite but in the end it was a hipster (disguise) with the exact same mustache.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Inescapable Duck posted:

Of course you get the two richest members of the club their own room and encourage them to engage in one-upmanship in it so they're willing to buy fancy stuff to not be outmatched by the other and occasionally leave forgotten suitcases of ten million bucks around. It seems shown that while both Scrooge and Glomgold are cheap on a personal level, they aren't averse to spending huge amounts of money on something for their own satisfaction or convenience. (which I think is true to the comics; Scrooge will simply buy his way through an obstacle if he doesn't have the patience or time to work around it, but when not under stress he'll default to being a cheapskate)

Yeah I recently read an older comic. That shows this well about Scrooge.

Donald was preparing for Christmas. Getting stuff like the gifts for his relatives ready and making sure everything was nice. Until he realized he forgot to buy his own Christmas Dinner. Donald unwilling to eat beans and bread for his Christmas dinner decides to take advantage of his rich uncle. Knowing Scrooge is not the biggest Christmas fan (Scrooge pretty much views it as a time that people use to avoid working for a day. And won't take the day off himself) along with the fact Scrooge would be unwilling to buy him a fancy Dinner under normal circumstances. Donald disguises himself and claims to be another billionaire interested with talking about a lucrative business deal with Scrooge over a fancy dinner.

After convincing Scrooge. They arrive and have a fancy diner. After joking about the billions of dollars they can make. The Waiter comes with their rather meager bill. However Donald can't afford it and so is unwilling to pay, while Scrooge is cheap and unwilling to pay. Which leads to the pair of them sitting in their seats in the restaurant trying to ignore the bill and make the other person pay overnight. The next morning the billionaire Donald is pretending to be shows up at the restaurant. And Scrooge figures out it was Donald trying to con him. Scrooge then proceeds to out of spite to buy the restaurant for 3 million dollars, just so he can force Donald to work off the debt now being to him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

How could Donald "Incomprehensible" Duck possibly impersonate anyone

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Regy Rusty posted:

By virtue of the comic medium were we can't hear his voice.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm not sure that anybody recognizes in-character that Donald's voice is at all unusual.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I remember seeing a video where people were wondering where Duckworth was in the cast, and I wonder is the Duckburg Billionaires Club valet dude supposed to be him?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Regy Rusty posted:

If I recall properly both Barks and Rosa have mentioned that they picture Donald having a much less heavy "accent" in their comics than he has in the cartoons

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They're probably right. As iconic as the voice has become over the decades, I don't really see that having him be verging on incomprehensible at all times and requiring the audience strain to make out his words constantly adds anything of value.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 22, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not sure that anybody recognizes in-character that Donald's voice is at all unusual.

I think they made a few jokes about that in the original Ducktales show actually.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Inescapable Duck posted:

Not to mention the way he runs his company; lots of quirky policies and fun facilities but the actual culture is cutthroat and exploitative as Glomgold Enterprises. Appearance is Google, Facebook and Amazon, but practice is more Twitter or Uber.

That's what I love about that episode is how they got that down to a T. Waddle is a reflection of Mark Beaks himself. Amiable but malevolent.

nerdbot posted:

I really like the show but I wish they'd dial back the focus on humor juuust a little bit and let the plots play out. This was kind of a flaw I had with Gravity Falls, the mystery and supernatural elements were compelling and the jokes were generally pretty good, but at times it felt like the jokes were overshadowing things when they shouldn't be. By the end when Gravity Falls started taking itself seriously it felt a little... off in some ways because it hadn't given itself enough time to breathe at earlier points. This show has a lot of strong ideas but it feels like it's still trying to find some direction. I'm optimistic that they can find it, because this show really feels like it could become something great.

Now that you bring it up, it's worrying. Like... everyone, I've made comparisons to Gravity Falls but I've overlooked how similar the shows are in tone. DuckTales is from at least one Gravity Falls alumnus and the DNA is obvious. I don't mind the idea of DuckTales trying to do the same thing GF did but it's setting itself up to emulate GF's failings. Whenever that show got dramatic it just didn't have the direction to carry those emotional scenes. Most of the dramatic highpoints weren't directed any differently than what the show is usually like-- whimsical, snarky and comedic. Unfortunately modern audiences and writers have it in their head that-- not matter what-- more jokes equals better, ignoring that an overabundance of comedy can dilute serious moments.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

tsob posted:

They're probably right. As iconic as the voice has become over the decades, I don't really see that having him be verging on incomprehensible at all times and requiring the audience strain to make out his words constantly adds anything of value.

I think it made a lot more sense back in the days of early cartoons when it a lot harder to work out the lip-syncing of words when animating. Nobody's going to notice that Donald's weird incomprehensible voice doesn't match his words then. There was a similar thing with Popeye where he had a habit of mumbling under his breath in a way that didn't need to be synced.

It stands out a lot more now that the triplets just have normal human voices.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Inescapable Duck posted:

Appearance is Google, Facebook and Amazon, but practice is more Twitter or Uber.

Google, Facebook and Amazon, known good companies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Just caught up with the first few episodes. The Brock Sampson line in the OP is spot on. This show is Venture Bros. for kids. And as I watch more of it, I’m seriously starting to question the “for kids” part :allears:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Watched the new episode. It was pretty fun and satisfying, yeah. "Silicon Valley tech billionaire" is fairly appropriate for a new Ducktales character. It maybe could have done better with the commentary, but we'll probably see more of Beaks and get some gags about shady tech bubble companies that get a bit more complex. (I remember reading some recounting of a former tumblr employee and it definitely resembled how Waddle is shown.)

I wonder how he'll cross the line between everyday villainy and cartoonish supervillainy. That moment where starts to get legit mad was pretty fun.

nine-gear crow posted:

Just caught up with the first few episodes. The Brock Sampson line in the OP is spot on. This show is Venture Bros. for kids. And as I watch more of it, I’m seriously starting to question the “for kids” part :allears:

I mean, the original Ducktales and the Scrooge McDuck comics do definitely fall under the area of the sort of 20th century kids adventure series that the Venture Brothers take inspiration from, so it is a pretty appropriate idea for a reboot.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I like how for Glomgold's plan to work they'd need a yacht that can withstand lava and neither he nor Scrooge acknowledge it. Whether intentional or not, it's super in character for both of them to think "Well of course the yacht is impervious to lava, that's just common sense."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I would be very ok with not seeing Mark Duckerberg again but I have a feeling he's not going anywhere. They nailed what they were going for too well.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

IRQ posted:

I would be very ok with not seeing Mark Duckerberg again but I have a feeling he's not going anywhere. They nailed what they were going for too well.

Mark Beaks is a parrot.

This is actually important. When the butler in the Billionaires Club removes Huey and Dewey, he says the club is only for "the finest ducks in Duckburg."

That's when Mark Beaks walks in, conspicuously not a duck.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 23, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Who cares.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

IRQ posted:

Who cares.

Webby, when riding on a public bus, excitedly points out how amazing it is that a dog can wear a tie. The bus driver, who is a dog, throws her off.

You might not care what specific species of animal each character is, but the characters in the show care about it quite a lot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Is his voice unusual? Meaning, in either early or modern comics, does he have the same voice as the animated Donald?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Schwarzwald posted:

Webby, when riding on a public bus, excitedly points out how amazing it is that a dog can wear a tie. The bus driver, who is a dog, throws her off.

You might not care what specific species of animal each character is, but the characters in the show care about it quite a lot.

If they didn't want me calling him Mark Duckerberg then they shouldn't have made him an rear end in a top hat techbro wiener named Mark who lives in Duckberg. That's all I'm saying.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Was anyone else expecting Beaks to land on one of the no impact trampolines at the end? It seemed like such an obvious set up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IRQ posted:

If they didn't want me calling him Mark Duckerberg then they shouldn't have made him an rear end in a top hat techbro wiener named Mark who lives in Duckberg. That's all I'm saying.

That's actually what their first idea for naming him was, but legal issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OptimusShr posted:

Was anyone else expecting Beaks to land on one of the no impact trampolines at the end? It seemed like such an obvious set up.

Then he would have died and they would not be able to use him again.

Inescapable Duck posted:

That's actually what their first idea for naming him was, but legal issues.

I think they outright said they could legally not name him that.