Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

The only Inhumans stories I've ever read were all in ultimate fantastic four, and I think they worked well in that context. Too bad that'll never happen in a movie now. Not that FF movies have a good track record...

Silent War was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
There’s a bunch of posts about Inhumans in the ABC Marvel thread and it’s getting enough Friday ratings to get renewed (if not for the budget)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus. So it's not even bad enough to be discussed it seems. Everything I've seen just screams boring and dull. If those things can be shouted I mean.

Say what you want about BvS or SS at least they could generate discussion. Inhumans is like a SBD fart that lacks odor apparently.

Its got a thread marked "Marvel on ABC" with Agents of SHIELD.

I'm waiting to binge it. The pilot was mediocre but not terrible.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

STAC Goat posted:

Its got a thread marked "Marvel on ABC" with Agents of SHIELD.

I'm waiting to binge it. The pilot was mediocre but not terrible.

I watched the first 1½ episodes and bailed after reading it got worse from there. I'm just counting the weeks now until AoS (the only consistently good comic books show these days, it feels) returns.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Inhumans has about two hours of decent show stretched out to eight hours, looks like. It has its moments, but is a placeholder for Agents Of SHIELD at best.

Iron Fist isn't that bad in comparison.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iron Fist is a drat masterpiece compared to Inhumans, and i'll watch anything.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Iron Fist's first two episodes are some of the most awful television I've ever watched. Inhumans starts off aggressively mediocre but doesn't get to Iron Fist levels until episode 3 or 4.

I haven't watched episode 5 but my expectations are pretty low.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

notthegoatseguy posted:

Iron Fist's first two episodes are some of the most awful television I've ever watched. Inhumans starts off aggressively mediocre but doesn't get to Iron Fist levels until episode 3 or 4.

I haven't watched episode 5 but my expectations are pretty low.

Episode 5 was a step forward. Kevin Tancharoen directed (he's the guys who did the Drunken Master fight from Iron Fist, and also a bunch of AoS and Arrowverse stuff) and the quality shows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This is mainly why I'm planning to binge it. I don't have to go one week at a time ebbing and flowing with the relative quality of each episode and with a week of people reacting in all manner of rational and hyperbolic ways and affecting my perception. Its clearly got its flaws but I'm also interesting so I'm just collecting it and I'll burn it all off in a couple of days and judge the entire package (or if its bad enough ditch it and not have it be a weeks or months long thing).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Eh, after having watched Jackie Chan's Drunken Master movies many times over the years, I found the Iron Fist drunken boxing scene pathetic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well if you compare everything to Jackie Chan, you can only ever go down.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Episode 6 is the best, as much as it's genre schlock it is the correct genre minimum.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

enraged_camel posted:

Eh, after having watched Jackie Chan's Drunken Master movies many times over the years, I found the Iron Fist drunken boxing scene pathetic.

Are you somehow suggesting that Finn Jones isn't as good a martial artist as Jackie Chan??

Tancharoen's a solid (in my opinion, well above average) TV superhero director who elevates the material he's given. But he's not writing the scripts or casting the roles -- good directing can only do so much.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

enraged_camel posted:

Have some drunken Muay Thai as a palette cleanser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wntPbp4ADpE&t=263s

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEt4B1poOfM

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I’m curious: Prior to Iron Fist, has the drunken master archetype ever been used as the bad guy before? I can’t think of any examples, but I’m not extremely well-versed in the martial arts genre.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not really, it's the type of thing you don't see often outside of old Hong-Fu movies.

It's a dying art for a reason, It's been Wushu'd to death.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakmouth posted:

I’m curious: Prior to Iron Fist, has the drunken master archetype ever been used as the bad guy before? I can’t think of any examples, but I’m not extremely well-versed in the martial arts genre.

The final boss of the fighting tournament DLC in Sleeping Dogs used it too. But that's a video game and I'm blanking on any examples in movies too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The drunken bar owner in Jet Li's Rise to Honor might count:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLXGQmkD34

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I agree with the first part, but goddamn is Inhumans bad from the outset. Less than mediocre.

They did not one but two inept pop-song-based scenes of Maximus betraying people in the first episodes and it is hilarious how badly they work.

They use a cover of “Paint it Black,” and it’s embarrassing to compare to any other piece of media that has used it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

The guy playing the drunken fighter is great, the choreography, editing and Finn Jones are teeerrrible.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
How did Finn Jones get cast

The other three netflix were made for their roles, and some of the bit parters too (Scott Glenn as Stick) not even including villains

Finn and Elektra are the standouts for the wrong reasons

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lid posted:

The other three netflix were made for their roles, and some of the bit parters too (Scott Glenn as Stick) not even including villains

Finn and Elektra are the standouts for the wrong reasons

Supposedly word got out to agents that Iron Fist was a mess behind the scenes before they started casting, and so a lot of actors deliberately steered clear.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

What’s wrong with Elektra’s actress?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

She looks like she doesn't know where she's at.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lid posted:

They wanted to bank on Game of Thrones star power, even though I don't think his GOT character has ever done anything other than be gay.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I didn't realize he also played Loras on GoT until just now

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The guy playing the drunken fighter is great, the choreography, editing and Finn Jones are teeerrrible.

That guy playing the drunken fighter is gonna be in season 3 of that terrible AMC show Into the Badlands (I think there's a thread for it here).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Oracle posted:

That guy playing the drunken fighter is gonna be in season 3 of that terrible AMC show Into the Badlands (I think there's a thread for it here).

Isn't that the show with amazing choreography but terrible everything else?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

She looks like she doesn't know where she's at.

Elektra's casting is a little more iffy because her part is written so horribly. Actors can't do much with terrible scripts and it's pretty obvious that the writers type up her pieces with one hand.

If she had a good part and still couldn't perform I'd agree she was a miscast but Netflix has hosed up just about everything on Elektra. Don't forget they wrote her sitting on a floor wailing DO YOU STILL WANT ME at Matt, which is one of the most out of character things that I've ever seen in translating a comic to the screen.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 22, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah the actual plots are hilariously cheesy to the point of being amazing.

Also the villain has the most hilarious southern parody accent.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Its not the Wire but Into the Badlands is a lot of fun and everything that Iron Fist should have been.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Elektra was good and the actor portraying her was perfectly fine. The writing was bad and the ninja poo poo was boring. I thought she was great and I don't even like the character.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Elektra was good and the actor portraying her was perfectly fine. The writing was bad and the ninja poo poo was boring. I thought she was great and I don't even like the character.

same

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

enraged_camel posted:

Badlands is a great kung-fu show that has a plot you sit through for the sick kung-fu fights.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

enraged_camel posted:

Hey that's a misrepresentation.

It has good costume design too.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Badlands is a great kung-fu show that has a plot you sit through for the sick kung-fu fights.

im sold

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

wiegieman posted:

Yeah but the kung fu fights in the second season really pale in comparison with the ones in the first, to the point that it's hard to justify suffering through the bargain bin GoT plots just to watch those fights.

(Ugh, I don't like picking on this show because I respect what it's done and is still trying to do (also Daniel Wu is from my hometown :buddy:), but the decline in production and narrative quality was so steep over such a short period of time that it's like watching Arrow in high-speed. And with the next season having as many episodes as the first two combined, I just can't imagine it climbing back to its former heights.)

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 23, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LOL, I was *just* about to post that scene. Such a good fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Xand_Man posted:

Hey that's a misrepresentation.

It has good costume design too.

That’s just The Kurgen