Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Generic Monk posted:

afaik none of the 2016 MBPs are even out of warranty yet. i think they just genuinely didn't think that making the moving parts on your laptop completely intolerant to foreign objects would be a problem

nah that's just the initial pain they have to endure before they enter the real payoff of annual $700 top case replacements forcing upgrades.

Tim probably gets a daily report on the number of unibody MacBooks pro that upgrade to Pot Mountain to strengthen his resolve to ride this out. next he'll discontinue MagSafe 1 adaptors and let nature take its course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Generic Monk posted:

afaik none of the 2016 MBPs are even out of warranty yet. i think they just genuinely didn't think that making the moving parts on your laptop completely intolerant to foreign objects would be a problem

it's funny how apple is so successful that when it fucks up its detractors attribute it to profit-making conspiracy theories the way alex jones claims the feds did 9/11

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The 4.7" iPhone X2 is going to own.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

what's the deal on these framerate drops on the new iphones in ios 11?

this has happened to me once or twice on my 6, iirc when apps were autoupdating. the homescreen has always had dropped frames whenever an update's going on but this was egregiously bad and made the phone unusable for like 30 seconds. something's definitely a bit hosed here and it's a bit of a sad state of affairs when everything to do with the app store is so bad that i just sort of expect poo poo like this to happen

honestly i quite like the new app store design but unconsciously expected it to arrive with an improvement to the general reliability of the app, which was hilariously naive. i think the bug where the store will just load infinitely until you force close and restart the app has been present 10 in 10 times i launch the app, on multiple devices, for literally years. i fully expect this to never get fixed since i presume this is the same team that brought you itunes for windows, where failure modes that require an app restart are the norm.

e: imagine getting a job at apple then learning they're going to put you on the itunes for windows team

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 22, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i havent upgraded to it yet but it seems kinda awful. also my gf was showing me the message screen and all they did was put in an ugly font and bump up MESSAGES to Pt 32x because you may not have noticed you were in messages before with only a pt 12x font? idk

e: for comparison, pre-ios10 msg screen

prolly a minor thing to complain about, but why make it so you only show up to 6 msg recipients vs 8? i don't like the BIG GRANDMA FONT direction and if that's all they're doing with that update (i havent followed w/e it does ) then ill probably avoid updating until i accidentally say yes

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 22, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Xaris posted:

i havent upgraded to it yet but it seems kinda awful. also my gf was showing me the message screen and all they did was put in an ugly font and bump up MESSAGES to Pt 32x because you may not have noticed you were in messages before with only a pt 12x font? idk

lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The huge text makes my phone feel like it was designed by Microsoft and I don’t like it one bit.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

this has happened to me once or twice on my 6, iirc when apps were autoupdating. the homescreen has always had dropped frames whenever an update's going on but this was egregiously bad and made the phone unusable for like 30 seconds. something's definitely a bit hosed here and it's a bit of a sad state of affairs when everything to do with the app store is so bad that i just sort of expect poo poo like this to happen

honestly i quite like the new app store design but unconsciously expected it to arrive with an improvement to the general reliability of the app, which was hilariously naive. i think the bug where the store will just load infinitely until you force close and restart the app has been present 10 in 10 times i launch the app, on multiple devices, for literally years. i fully expect this to never get fixed since i presume this is the same team that brought you itunes for windows, where failure modes that require an app restart are the norm.

e: imagine getting a job at apple then learning they're going to put you on the itunes for windows team
oooh, i remember this happening when i first updated. i'm on my 5s, but don't think it's been too recurring for me . or maybe the general performance is just so awful i don't notice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

what's the deal on these framerate drops on the new iphones in ios 11?

low batt mode def seems to slow phone down now

ufarn
May 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

low batt mode def seems to slow phone down now
still not sure why this doesn't kick in automatically at x% of battery power, too

or why we don't have a trigger setting for it

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it's funny how apple is so successful that when it fucks up its detractors attribute it to profit-making conspiracy theories the way alex jones claims the feds did 9/11

iirc pretty much every generation of mac has at some point in the lineup had some kind of design issue or manufacturing defect controversy; the adage of not buying the first iteration of any apple product design still rings true. they could fix it by making the thing slightly thicker and absolutely no one would mind, although it would be a very apple thing to ridiculously over-engineer something like dust-sealing the entire top case or making (god no) force-touch keys

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Generic Monk posted:

force-touch keys

yeah that's gonna be the solution. all implemented via a gigantic touch bar.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

went on r/apple homepage thanks to that above ios slowdown link, found this vintage marco take. enjoy
http://articles.marco.org/207

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tim finally learned that people were savvy and didn't buy the first iteration of their hardware so now every new product will be redesigned every release so no more weeding out bad designs in the next release, it's just new problems all the time every time

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shifty Pony posted:

you'd think they'd have put some loving haptics in the touch bar if that was the plan :mad:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shifty Pony posted:

please do this apple. i'm begging you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
find me the one person using the retina mbp that wished it was thinner or lighter

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shifty Pony posted:

so... an iPad?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

echinopsis posted:

find me the one person using the retina mbp that wished it was thinner or lighter

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

lol if you think tomb cock uses anything other than an iPad Pro

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

i should have said, one person who when uses it, thinks, wow, this laptop is too thick and too heavy. also i hate its functionality and robustness

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

so... an iPad?

whatever this thing is

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Den ultimative kreativitetstablet på farten

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Xaris posted:

prolly a minor thing to complain about, but why make it so you only show up to 6 msg recipients vs 8? i don't like the BIG GRANDMA FONT direction and if that's all they're doing with that update (i havent followed w/e it does ) then ill probably avoid updating until i accidentally say yes
it shrinks back down when you scroll up (if you have a lot of messages), thankfully

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The_Franz posted:

Den ultimative kreativitetstablet på farten

rear end gas really describes it well

tried it out at a store. to no ones surprise it is bad

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Can someone explain why wifi screws up a monitor?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
bad EM shielding.

in the case of that lovely LG monitor, AFAIK it only happened if the WiFi router was near the monitor. like if you had them both sitting on your desk.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shaggar posted:

apple displays were always repacked panels that dell was using which means many of them were fine and good, aside from the markup. when you look at dell and don't see them making a monitor with the specs you want, it means its not gonna work. someone at lucky goldstar somehow convinced apple otherwise and the result was the comedy anti-wifi displays.

again very right. dell was like giving yourself a free check for a second display if you didnt mind not having aluminum bezels

Doc Block posted:

bad EM shielding.

in the case of that lovely LG monitor, AFAIK it only happened if the WiFi router was near the monitor. like if you had them both sitting on your desk.

sounds like a poorsumer level desk design

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

new macbooks are gonna come without a keyboard. thus reducing the thickness 0.2mm

an optional keyboard dongle will be sold separately for $199

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
just 2 iPads with a hinge

take my loving money

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol why would you want to draw on a separate object? create a super wireless thing to connect two ipad for this purpose ir you’re loser

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

NEED MORE MILK posted:

new macbooks are gonna come without a keyboard. thus reducing the thickness 0.2mm

an optional keyboard dongle will be sold separately for $199

there will still only be one usb-c port

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
And the usb-c port will be keyed with a notch so only apple cables are supported

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

thanks to the march of skus the iphone 7 leather cases are half off at a bunch of stores so if you want to snag a case its a good time

i got a nice sit4less true black leather for the full murdered out look of the return to best phone color edition

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

lol apple

Also are you in India or is that a random pic?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Can someone explain the logic in the goddamn window switcher Mission Control thing

It keeps shuffling my window order in apparently random ways and I don't know why it likes changing them

I like iTunes or Spotify to be at the end of the line, all the way to the right, but randomly it seems to appear back in the first 3 window places

I like my browsers to be together next to each other, but they too just decide to change places for whatever loving reason Hair Force One decided was logical

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Can someone explain the logic in the goddamn window switcher Mission Control thing

It keeps shuffling my window order in apparently random ways and I don't know why it likes changing them

I like iTunes or Spotify to be at the end of the line, all the way to the right, but randomly it seems to appear back in the first 3 window places

I like my browsers to be together next to each other, but they too just decide to change places for whatever loving reason Hair Force One decided was logical

do you mean when they are all fullscreen spaces? turn off "automatically arrange spaces based on most recent use" in sysprefs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

no idea what you're talking about. there's no "line" in mission control. do you mean the alt tab menu thats sorted by most recently used apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dodoman posted:

lol apple

Also are you in India or is that a random pic?

just a random first-result GIS pic, i was too lazy to take a screenshot and try to upload using imgurs god awful app that gets worse every month