Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

What angle am I using? I’m not even attacking you I’m just defending myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quit breaking people's necks, it is mean :v:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Bif I guess I just don’t even understand what you think my motivation was at the start? I was so afraid of you replacing in I had to quickly make something up to hurriedly get you out of the game based off something I couldn’t reasonably expect anyone to agree with me on and was almost sure to turn out just like this?

Like I could have backed off countless times as votes piled on me and no one is even looking at you so I guess I am like the worst scum ever, good job catching me out.

Your refusal to look at things that way and to continue to pound away at only the very earliest things I said is sure frustrating if you are town

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

Ok, going through the last couple pages I flipped back to town on Hal for his sincere stuff, but I think I’ve come back around to scum as it went on. Laid it on a little too thick imo

I know you back up your opinions even less than I do but since I’ve been forced into it please explain where I suddenly became insincere to you. The tiff between me and bif (TM) was pretty isolated and other than my one post this morning saying it should seem sincere I’ve moved on to other points and responding to points against me

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It might get missed because it came after the big post most people will scroll by, but I think Opop is scum and saying things he doesn't think he'll actually have to back up.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Bif I guess I just don’t even understand what you think my motivation was at the start? I was so afraid of you replacing in I had to quickly make something up to hurriedly get you out of the game based off something I couldn’t reasonably expect anyone to agree with me on and was almost sure to turn out just like this?

Like I could have backed off countless times as votes piled on me and no one is even looking at you so I guess I am like the worst scum ever, good job catching me out.

I will admit I find that very odd, but I also find your posting this much odd, especially on D1, so it's even harder than usual to read you, which lets be honest, I could never do before in the first place.

But I also find it even more odd how you could possibly have the read you claim to have. In this game I replaced in and my postcount is at a record low, and I almost immediately started driving content by engaging with a scumreads and then backing off, and my posts regarding you started out entirely reasonable with things like "hmm I think that is a good point on Hal, granted I don't think it's bad of him to consider Jam's reasons at all..." Etc.

And to this, you came in saying I just posted tons of townreads and discrediting and also "nothing of substance" which just all around on all counts seems like a big fat scumpost lie to me. And even when I'd barely started casing you at all yet, like dude, Asiina can tell you how much of a difference there is here, you were already leaping to poo poo like "Donald Trump of Mafia" as if I'd already tunnelled on you for 10 pages. And now like I'm just incapable of empathy or recognising human emotion or something. While still trying to be all like I'm the one being too aggressive here. I mean what the gently caress dude.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Hal's claim is supremely easy to test and he'd need to give out his results at this point, so dunking him seems dumb. Also, stacking hatred is the worst power for scum, though it could be something else that gives hatred (jugg kills etc).

I'm not sure how easy to test it really is. If their faking they can either claim they investigated the person the scum killed or that they were blocked, depending on if they become hated. Either of which could very well actually happen.

Still, also not going to vote for a day one cop claim.

##vote Retro Futurist

Right now that looks like the strongest case to me.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asiina posted:

It might get missed because it came after the big post most people will scroll by, but I think Opop is scum and saying things he doesn't think he'll actually have to back up.

I still don't feel good at all about Hal yet but I think there is some good discussion to be had here so for now:

##unvote

If this turns out to be yet another case of you talking me down when I'm right again I'm just gonna have to laugh at this point

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

I still don't feel good at all about Hal yet but I think there is some good discussion to be had here so for now:

##unvote

If this turns out to be yet another case of you talking me down when I'm right again I'm just gonna have to laugh at this point

I mean you might be right, Hal has come up with good fake claims and I am bad at mafia, but I'm not seeing it this game.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

You use a lot of embellishments that don’t fit what I said in that post there Bif.

I never said you posted a “ton”’of town reads, I said that your posts had town reads and discrediting in it. You didn’t even have many posts at that point so I would never have said or implied that

My Donald Trump line was referring to your general playstyle in all games not specifically your attack on me. As Asiina said, you’ve been more aggro in other games but that’s still what was happening here to some extent.

I certainly never said you were “incapable” of emotion or empathy, just that you didn’t seem to be using those tools in this particular back and forth

You seem to be attributing a lot more hidden meaning to what I’m saying that I’m actually putting out there. Maybe that’s partly on my posting but it’s also making me out to seem a lot more mean than I am or I’m trying to be

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Incandenza posted:

You use a lot of embellishments that don’t fit what I said in that post there Bif.

I never said you posted a “ton”’of town reads, I said that your posts had town reads and discrediting in it. You didn’t even have many posts at that point so I would never have said or implied that

Sorry, I was going from memory and apparently it was "lots" instead of "tons", still pretty far off the mark sheesh

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hal Incandenza posted:

I am not doing your busy work for you.

But in PMush's recent game we were all serial killers but no one realized that right away and Jam posted like mad in that game.

Regardless I stand by my point and your posting in this game so far doesn't make me think I was wrong. Lots of discrediting people and town calls but no substance whatsoever

Here’s what I actually said and it’s still a bit different bif. Semantics, etc... but the actual quote reads a lot tamer than how you are spinning it

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Also I would like to see Grandicap post more, he dropped a very early vote on me and then left forever

And TMM is the one who pointed out that scum like to hide during slap fights but also never commented whatsoever on me and bifs thing even though it was in full swing when he posted that

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Here’s what I actually said and it’s still a bit different bif. Semantics, etc... but the actual quote reads a lot tamer than how you are spinning it

Now see this is what makes me suspicious Hal. you talk up so much how I'm supposed to consider what if I'm wrong, what if you're town!! But I sure don't see you trying yourself now, do I. I think my genuine frustration rather than "spinning" should be clear as day and not that hard to imagine here but that's just me.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

Now see this is what makes me suspicious Hal. you talk up so much how I'm supposed to consider what if I'm wrong, what if you're town!! But I sure don't see you trying yourself now, do I. I think my genuine frustration rather than "spinning" should be clear as day and not that hard to imagine here but that's just me.

That’s something of a valid point. I was using more as an example of defending myself more than attacking you though in this case. If you repeatedly quote something about me in multiple posts I want to make sure the actual quote is there for people to see and not just your version of it

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i remember when opop once tried to hammer me as doc and i said hes so loving dumb he cant be scum and lo and behold opop was not scum

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ehat im saying is opop is an idiot town god bless

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Thanks for preventing a travesty here today flerp

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Infinitum posted:

✈️ 🏢 🏢

##vote infinitum

How dare you

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

flerp posted:

ehat im saying is opop is an idiot town god bless

Okay who is the scum then?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Like I know Day 1 sucks and is bad and all that, but there is 10 hours left and the person with the most votes is a claimed cop.

I think this is definitely a situation where scum are going to want to stay quiet and then try to get it done via an apathy lynch. "Oh no we ran out of time, better lynch Hal because it's still better than a no lynch!" they will say.

Don't be on the sidelines, have an opinion before deadline.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

So do you not believe his cop claim?

I feel like I want to vote Opop for this. It's super vague in both what he thought was town AND scum about Hal, and doesn't address the fact that Hal has claimed cop.

It feels like a lazy "I want to keep voting the cop but don't want people to look into why too hard."

##vote Opop

Yeah, I gotta agree with you here. This is weird for Opop to come in and say that but make no mention of the cop claim.

Opop is always a hard read for me early in the game.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

Like I know Day 1 sucks and is bad and all that, but there is 10 hours left and the person with the most votes is a claimed cop.

I think this is definitely a situation where scum are going to want to stay quiet and then try to get it done via an apathy lynch. "Oh no we ran out of time, better lynch Hal because it's still better than a no lynch!" they will say.

Don't be on the sidelines, have an opinion before deadline.

What do you think about gif bouncing around but continually ending up on thranguy?

I still just don't know what to make of Bif and I find it very difficult to get a read on her. I think that may be because I can only remember playing in a few games with her and either we were both on the same scum team or I was scum and she was town (I can't remember playing a game with her where I was town and she was scum, but it might have happened), so I've always known her alignment and now I don't know it's confusing me. The aggression from her is pretty alignment neutral but it has been leaving a bad taste in my mouth this game.

Inf is of course being Inf this game and that means he could be town or scum, but I don't think he's don't anything overly scummy so far, so I'm not inclined to vote him.

I'm going to have to look over Tobbs again at some point. I seem to recall him posting a bunch early but not so much recently.

A lot of people just aren't leaving an immediate impression on me yet. This game kind of started at a weird time for me, so I should be able to get into it more over the next week.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Gif is a hard read for me but I didn’t like that he made a big case on me and I followed up with a bunch of questions trying to get clarity from him and he came back and just voted someone else and walked away again. I did leave him that opening by also claiming cop, but totally ignoring my questions is not a good look

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

##unvote Not lynching a cop claim D1.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

##vote Opop Hiya Opop. Give me some more words, including your thoughts on the cop claim.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
plz dont murder dumb town opop

also sry that i havent been able to make very many reads because combination of water polo games this weekend, midterms and bif's long posts + ability to make other people make long posts have made it hard for me to read :( ill try to catch up b4 deadline

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Water polo, sweet!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Me no stupid

Me no dumb

Me no vote cop claim on Day 1

##unvote

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thinking of going back to my original vote of aposte

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
thoughts

was reading hal as town before the cop claim. it felt like p much every other bif slapfight where she's engaging w/ another townie and with the cop claim there's no way in hell im voting for hal (wouldnt vote for him anyways w/o the cop claim tbh). also, prob wont vote for bif i think she leans more town side for me. its kinda weird bif is buddying up w/ gif kind of, but im not sure thats indictative of either of bif's or gif's alignments.

i agree that the bif/hal slapfight doesnt help anybody. creates a lot of posts, but of only two people, and its hard for anybody (scum or town) to post since the thread becomes so focused on them. makes it easy for scum to just sit on back and sip on their lemonade as they watch the thread implode.

yeah gif is feeling odd to me a bit, but for some reason its leading me towards the town side. im not sure why he keeps going onto thrangles tho it seems like he started it out as a joke vote but i cant tell if hes serious voting thrangles or not.

actually when looking at thrangles himself there's a lot "yeah i agree w/ this" but not a lot of their own independent thought. could be newbie uncertainity, or d1 uncertainity, or scum trying to find the "safest" case (which i feel like thrangles has always chosen, when it becomes oppurtune. such as going onto hal after multiple people have read him and then switching onto opop who is voting for claimed cop). i feel like it might be the last one.

hosed up but im feeling a thrangles vote myself. me 2-ing a lot but in a way that feels like its attempting to be w/ the "safest" case and not trying to actually find scum.

##vote thrangles

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thran is a fake punkass no good s.o.b.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Sorry just got distracted, why are we voting Retro

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Scum team pushing for a last minute vote swing imo

##vote Aposte

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can't be hosed learning to spell his name properly, cause he'll be dead soon :v:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Mr. F! posted:

dumb idiot voting or suspecting cop claimed hal

but hes dumb idiot town so plz dont vote him

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
(the "or" is because i cant remember if he voted for hal and im too lazy to look)

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Can't be hosed learning to spell his name properly, cause he'll be dead soon :v:

her*

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. F! posted:

I'm voting Opop to pressure him into talking about his thoughts on the cop claim he ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

flerp posted:

(the "or" is because i cant remember if he voted for hal and im too lazy to look)

I believe hal, ##vote rerto ufuritst

• Locked thread