Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Let's Play: Toy Story 3!

Hello and welcome to my latest project, one that I recently 100%ed and found rather charming so decided I wanted to show off.

What is this game, and why have you chosen it?

This is, like most licensed games, a third person platformer. I know. Hold the presses, right? However, this game has a lot of variety that I like in the levels, whether it's events that actually happened to the characters, like the trials and tribulations of Sunnyside Daycare, or levels that take place entirely in the imaginations of children. There is a lot of effort involved in making sure most levels escalates nicely within themselves, with most of them having some sort of climax (whether that climax is traversing the back of an exploding train or performing a series of airdrops in a tight space).

Format of the LP:

I intend to get every card and collectible in story mode, and in turn every Gold Star in Toybox mode. Gold Stars are micro-achievements that count only within the game that you get for doing virtually everything in toybox mode which is fun.

Toybox mode is a large sandbox unlocked after the first story level, where you follow a series of side-stories in an open world environment for a variety of characters in the Toy Story canon. Happily it won't be as overwhelming as Lego City Undercover, as there are only 105 gold stars to get so a basic sweep of each area will be fine. The only things I won't guarantee are the unlockable clothes for the citizens/aliens in Toybox mode that you unlock through the vending machine in Al's Toy Barn, because they are not tied to any achievements or gold stars and therefore are just pointless, and due to the random nature of the machine making it hard to not accidentally waste coins on an empty capsule. Also there are way too many clothes to show off set by set, so during the toybox mode stuff any outfit pieces that the thread really wants to see will be shown off by quickly changing a guy into them at the start of that video.

With that, here are the videos. I hope you enjoy!

Videos:

Toy Story 3 Level 1 - Woody's Roundup!
Toy Story 3 Level 2 - Hold the Phone
Toy Story 3 Level 3 - Buzz Lightyear Videogame
Toy Story 3 Level 4 - Sunnyside Daycare Carnival
Toy Story 3 Level 5 - Bonnie's House
Toy Story 3 Level 6 - Sunnyside Daycare Prison
Toy Story 3 Level 7 - Junkyard Rescue
Toy Story 3 Level 8 - Haunted Bakery

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 1 - Well, well, well
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 2 - Expansion!
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 3 - More Buildings! More Stuff!
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 4 - Shyamalan'd
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 5 - Sid's Haunted House
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 6 - Our Old Buddy Lotso!
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 7 - Zurg's Base
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 8 - Photojournalism for Dummies
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 9 - Green Thumbs and Motorheads
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 10 - Let's Drive (ourselves crazy with these bad controls)
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 11 - Muffins and Miscellania
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 12 - Paint Your City!
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 13 - The Last Capsules!
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 14 - PictoMania!
Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 15 - 103 Gold Stars

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reserved in case I need it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
This seems suspiciously on-brand for you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've done a variety of games (well, 5), licensed or not, collectathon or linear, so I don't quite get what you mean by "brand" - I have a bunch of games I want to do, this was just the one I decided on. I've recorded up to and including a part of the game that I consider the "Most annoying part" so the rest of the recording sessions will likely be smooth sailing, but I was dreading a level that is now behind me, so yay!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I've done a variety of games (well, 5), licensed or not, collectathon or linear, so I don't quite get what you mean by "brand" - I have a bunch of games I want to do, this was just the one I decided on. I've recorded up to and including a part of the game that I consider the "Most annoying part" so the rest of the recording sessions will likely be smooth sailing, but I was dreading a level that is now behind me, so yay!

It's far too late, I've already pigeonholed you. On the plus side, this means I'll be easy to surprise.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Level 2 - Hold the Phone

Here's the second video in which we explore Andy's bedroom and basement and enact a plan to ensure he doesn't forget us. Also a look at Al's Toy Barn

If the audio balance is off let me know and I'll rebalance it. I also ran the commentary through audacity's "Noise Removal" tool so I'm hoping that hasn't damaged any thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Level 3 - Buzz Lightyear Videogame

In this level we play the Buzz Lightyear Videogame. I guess technically in this level, we are playing as Rex in the TS3 world, who is controlling Buzz Lightyear in a videogame based off of his twice-fictional persona. If only one of the parts of the level was Buzz playing pacman to clear a puzzle we could have Videogame Inception...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In this level we progress through my least favourite level, if only because of the one hard minigame that takes place here. Nice to explore, but the minigames are a little silly.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 21, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You seem to have posted the video without commentary.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You seem to have posted the video without commentary.

Thanks for telling me, I'll reupload now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK here's the correct video. Sorry about that! :)

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Mush better, thanks.

I find it funny that the two LPs of yours I follow are based around toys.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 22, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I accidentally left it private -it should be public again now. This ones been a clusterfuck hasn't it :v:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Your posts in PYF made me really interested in this game, and I'm just now getting around to watching the videos. The spectacle of the Imagination levels is way more than I'd expect from a tie-in game to a second sequel of a movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

Your posts in PYF made me really interested in this game, and I'm just now getting around to watching the videos. The spectacle of the Imagination levels is way more than I'd expect from a tie-in game to a second sequel of a movie.

You want spectacle? You really want spectacle? Try this level on for size!

My personal favourite level, we get to see how a 6-8 year old Bonnie's imagination compares to 18-year-old Andy's

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This is also my personal favorite level. It's the one I would demonstrate to friends to show them the game's story mode is worthwhile.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way GamesAreSuperNice, since we have similar tastes I'd like to recommend something - Get Even is a game I just played on my PS4 and it is loving amazing, at least the plot and the presentation. Really good at misdirection.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 23, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Level 6 - Sunnyside Daycare Prison

Here is the next update, in which we break out of Sunnyside Prison. The worst level in the game IMO.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

BioEnchanted posted:

You want spectacle? You really want spectacle? Try this level on for size!

My personal favourite level, we get to see how a 6-8 year old Bonnie's imagination compares to 18-year-old Andy's

:stare: Wow, that's one hell of an active imagination.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Level 7 - Junkyard Rescue

In which we rescue our buddies from being eaten by a trash compactor. This is a much more intricate and technical level than any other in the game, you really need to know what everyone is doing and how they interact with each other. It's pretty cool.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Level 8 - Haunted Bakery

Here is our latest update, the final story level. I know I keep referring to Andy as 14 when he's 18 by now, that is because I'm an idiot :v:

Overall I really like this level, although it has major flaws that keep it out of the top 3, because the intrerplay between Andy and Sunny is adorable, and I like the design because it is literally the buildings we will be seeing in Woody's Round Up in the Toybox mode. I also go through the collectibles at the end to prepare for diving into the real meat of the game - the Toybox itself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 1 - Well, well, well

We begin Toybox mode in earnest and see what the missions, and by extension Mayor Hamm, have to offer.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 2 - Expansion!

We find more land to expand our town into, we have way more room now! Also some minor sidequests get completed and interesting mechanics get unlocked, although not yet purchased.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Part 3 - More Buildings! More Stuff!

We play with some new mechanics while continuing to develop our town, and also get a few trickier Gold Stars along the way!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 4 - Shyamalan'd

We have an honest-to-God Plot Twist. Andy! Didn't know you had it in ya!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 5 - Sid's Haunted House

We explore my personal favourite part of Toybox mode and come across a... familiar thing. BTW In this video, When I mentioned my Haunted Mansion LP I'd completely forgotten how long it had been - it was 5 years ago, in the video I was thinking of my first ever attempts at LPing before I came here. Those unfinished Lps were my 10 year old vids. In my defense I'm bad at remembering everything so things often get muddled in my head.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 6 - Our Old Buddy Lotso!

We start doing toybox missions for our main story's primary villain, Lotso Huggin' Bear himself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 7 - Zurg's Base

We explore the final normal new area after dealing with a few miscellaneous missions.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 8 - Photojournalism for Dummies

We do some missions for Wheezy, along with a few other miscellaneous objectives, and get some more buildings to fill the gaps in our town. At this point I have officially recorded all the footage for the remainder of the game, all it needs is editing and commentating on.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 9 - Green Thumbs and Motorheads

We help Slinky with his farming and introduce ourselves formally to the bane of this game - the cars.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 10 - Let's Drive (ourselves crazy with these bad controls)

We fully explore the bigger driving course - I mentioned we'd be back "Next time" in that area, but I actually don't finish the capsules there until the last few episodes due to them being hard to find.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 11 - Muffins and Miscellania

A few minor quests, and a lot of capsules from a singular source.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 12 - Paint Your City!

More quests and a few gold stars to boot. :)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 13 - The Last Capsules!

Nearing the end of Toybox mode now - we have all the capsules. All that's left is a few Gold Stars, some Pictographs and races.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 14 - PictoMania!

We do a bunch of Pictographs, and get some really cute cutscenes. Although I could do without the inherent transphobia of the Scruffy Lady outfit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toy Story 3 Toybox Mode Part 15 - 103 Gold Stars

And with that, we reach the end of our journey - all the collectibles across 8 levels, and all the Gold Stars in Toybox mode have been obtained. I hope you enjoyed this latest playthrough, and I will be submitting for archival in about a week as normal, so if anyone has any final thoughts on the game or the LP I'd love to hear them.

I do have something in mind for the next LP, a very unique game that I loved pretty much throughout - It will be very different to my usual fare, so look forward to it. :)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I do have something in mind for the next LP, a very unique game that I loved pretty much throughout - It will be very different to my usual fare, so look forward to it. :)

I'm a bit late, but I am looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I'm a bit late, but I am looking forward to it.

I started it last month - here's the link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843115

• Locked thread