Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I hope instead of ending with the spore network technology being destroyed/abandonded/rendered useless, it somehow allows for a second season about the ship exploring all kinds of new parts of the universe. Like maybe they go on a deeply classified exploration of Andromeda or something. Maybe there are whole arcs about them getting stuck in far flung situations which don't conflict with canon because of how remote they are.

Admittedly wishful thinking.

This is what I'm expecting to happen. Spore drive is going to work initially, then something goes wrong with the navigation and now each jump sends them to a random galaxy in the universe. One of those "the drive doesn't take them where they want to go, but where they need to go" sort of situations.

Or that's just my fanfic for where I'd take this new Star Trek series if it was episodic. The situation doesn't really lend itself to a serialized format.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Star Trek: Discovery: Actually just a Voyager refit

Voyager II: Tardigrade Boogaloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Man it's amazing what a difference it makes when everyone in this show isn't a jerk to each other for longer than 40 second intervals

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Doggles posted:

This is what I'm expecting to happen. Spore drive is going to work initially, then something goes wrong with the navigation and now each jump sends them to a random galaxy in the universe. One of those "the drive doesn't take them where they want to go, but where they need to go" sort of situations.

Only if this can involve them finding the planet where Admiral Archer was mysteriously reported lost-in-action, after which he can take over as the new Captiain. They can rename the computer Ziggy.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DISCO

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
All Access is being a real piece of poo poo tonight. I think I'm done with this service.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pretty good episode.. especially with the moral quandary Lorca has at the end.

Gosh, that's an awful douchey way to treat someone you just slept with.

Klingons being Klingons as usual.

Stamets is being kinda super cheerful / positive for once, I'm inclined to agree with Lorca, doing time in the mushroom flow has certainly mellowed him out.

I like how all of a sudden Lorca's playing the 'now hold on a minute we can't just go rescuing people without orders' card after Cornwall ripped him a new one about being a loose cannon.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

oh my god star trek sex scenes lmao

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

lmao lorca sleeps with a phaser

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed it.

Next week's episode looks like it'll be fun, even if it's a done Trek plot.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

No, we only got the before/after.

Why does Admiral Cornwall keep reminding me of Mimi Rogers?

Next episode: Heeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaackkkk Harry Mudd

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

why does the food replicator shame these poor space people

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

these klingons are WITHOUT HONOR

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Still don't know what to feel for the show, but it is getting better with each episode I think. 0% chance Admiral Cornwell lives, though.

Ramadu posted:

Shame might be a good motivator to get people to eat healthier in the future. I say bring it on.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I super enjoyed this one. It was also co-written by Trek-alumnus Joe Menosky.

Also, pumped about time loop episode.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

all access is just basically nonfunctional

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha Sarek you hosed up

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Ramadu posted:

at least they got space burritos and not the weird play-doh the Enterprise crew would usually get

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

speng31b posted:

J33uk posted:

All Access is being a real piece of poo poo tonight. I think I'm done with this service.

All access was fine for me, can only guess it's some regional server thing

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Good episode! Lorca's a great villain. I'm glad he's basically unambiguously a crazy bad guy, but our characters haven't quite figured it out so you get things like Burnham thanking him for being the kind of captain he is where he's condemning his friend to torture to save his command.

Also, there was actually payoff for having Sarek in the show! I don't care how fan-servicey it was to make Burnham Spock's sister, there was legit good emotional payoff this episode. I was surprised at how compelling the rejection story was. And honestly it gives context to Sarek's feelings towards Spock too, which never made perfect sense in the original series.

It might not have been a needed explanation, but it was a good moment here anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Really shocked that I didn't come here to 50 comments about the proto-holodeck from the beginning of the episode

Show is still on an upward trajectory. We're also getting more episodes that can stand alone, to a degree I didn't expect.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FlamingLiberal posted:

Really shocked that I didn't come here to 50 comments about the proto-holodeck from the beginning of the episode

Show is still on an upward trajectory. We're also getting more episodes that can stand alone, to a degree I didn't expect.

holodeck owned tho

wonder which lovely victorian era these idiots love to hang out in on it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Assorted thoughts

- Stamets is still their tardigrade, I guess? They didn't seem to have any issue jumping right to Sarek's last known location.
- Stamets is way more likeable now that he's high on shrooms all the time.
- Burnham's kind of crazy, but she finally has something resembling a personality.
- Tyler seems cool, it'll be a shame if (when) he ends up being a Klingon all along.
- Ambitious Tilly is way better than Barclay Tilly.
- There's a 0% chance that admiral survives the next two episodes.
- But if she does, maybe Lorca is written off by losing his command instead of dying. Keeps him around for guest spots later.
- Starfleet is still really into branding, given the microscopic deltas on Lorca's Under Armour.
- The sickbay scene where Burnham explains the katra was really clunky and expository, like first-draft clunky.
- Having the klingon actors speak english really highlights how badly the prosthetics limit their speech.

Overall though, episode...good?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Discovery is the "most advanced ship in the fleet" as they mentioned multiple times, and Constitution classes have been around for a while already. Therefore, Discovery is more advanced than the original Enterprise, even though this is a prequel. And it was a really lovely holodeck.

Checks out to me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do find it pretty ridiculous that Lorca is willing to make Tyler a bridge officer after a week on the ship, and even the Admiral calls him out on it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ramadu posted:

holodeck owned tho

I'm assuming it's basically just a 3d shooting gallery until proven otherwise by holodeckisodes

speng31b
May 8, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do find it pretty ridiculous that Lorca is willing to make Tyler a bridge officer after a week on the ship, and even the Admiral calls him out on it.

He's Ahab and what have you

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
"When I get back we'll deal with your command blah blah" Yup, she's 100% dead.
Bonus points if she survives and Lorca arranges an "accident" on the return trip. If it comes to him losing command I think he's batty enough to do it.

Don't think they used the spore drive to find Sarek, just regular warp. That's all Sarek had, after all.
Also, they finally showed Lorca sitting in a captain's chair, so there's that

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NarkyBark posted:

"When I get back we'll deal with your command blah blah" Yup, she's 100% dead.
Bonus points if she survives and Lorca arranges an "accident" on the return trip. If it comes to him losing command I think he's batty enough to do it.

Don't think they used the spore drive to find Sarek, just regular warp. That's all Sarek had, after all.
Also, they finally showed Lorca sitting in a captain's chair, so there's that

I was totally expecting Lorca to pull a Garak with that shuttlecraft.

They used the spore drive to get to the nebula.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah if the ship comes in from the side of the screen it's warp. The mushroom network looked like it snapped into existence from the top of the shot.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hey, it is a Menosky episode! And VERY Menosky-y at that. This actually more or less works as an episode of Star Trek. Unfortunately it's more like an episode of Voyager than one of the shows that is not rear end, but you take what you can get, right? Dialogue is still stumbling pretty often but tone-wise this is much much better. Menosky whatever his flaws and foibles understands how to write Starfleet people interacting: it's not that characters aren't conflicting or whatever bullshit bad lazy writers claim is "Genes vision", it's that they conflict in a more mature, constructive, and believable way than yelling tersely and dramatically about everything. Maybe CBS should fire the rest of their writers and put him in charge of Star Trip.

Burnham gets much more of a character here than in every previous episode put together. Lorca gets much more of a character here than in every previous episode put together. In fact this is a much better episode than every previous episode put together and gives me hope for the show.

Stoned Stamets could get old pretty fast. I'm not sure whether it's funny enough to counterbalance the weirdness of exposure to alien fungus straight up changing his personality. Seems like something they should probably have the doctor take a look at.

Vulcan looks pretty nice. The expeditionary group director has a big stick. Sarek's problem is well framed, Frain looks more comfortable in the role, and most importantly the plot point here genuinely works with the tension between him and Spock that has always defined their relationship. I'm not sure I buy logic extremist suicide bombers though.

I appreciate that they actually addressed Burnham being unemployed and the security chief vacancy. These sorts of daily-life, procedural details are what makes Star Trek work imo.

The elders of Cancri IV look(ed) real goofy. RIP

Next week: "Cause and Effect" again, why not

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Fun episode. I like the idea of a replicator making burritos.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

skasion posted:

Next week: "Cause and Effect" again, why not

It's like the writers are stuck in some sort of temporal loop. I suggest decompressing the main writers room.

Also CBS app continues to be poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought Canada was going to get shafted, but our Space Channel (Canada's SyFy abalogue) has been playing shows on air on time and looking very pretty.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Episode six: I liked it.

I upgrade my assessment of ST:D to "moderately enthused" from "cautiously optimistic."

There's still various clunky stuff going on, but I'm enjoying the ride. As I care very little about Star Trek canon or continuity, I am not angry about various departures from it, and probably miss more than I recognize, though I do think the ST:D Klingons and their ships are a bit over the top.

Lorca clearly rolled the dice on "talk the Admiral into the high-risk diplomatic meeting to buy some time" and won. I do get the feeling his risk taking is going to catch up with him (and do not think appointing his cellmate to security chief was a wise call)...

I'm liking the handling of the Burnham/Tilly mentor/mentee thing and Sarek/Burnham father/daughter thing and I'm enjoying snarky Stamets and Burnham doing the Spock-style eyebrow lift. I feel like there's hope for some enjoyable character stuff here.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 23, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Stamets is way more likeable now that he's high on shrooms all the time.

This was the best part of the episode, seeing how he doesn't give a gently caress about anything anymore now that his life's work is reality and he's the only guy who can make it work properly.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 23, 2017

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

speng31b posted:

You just need the right kind of all access

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I kind of wish that Sarek had argued harder in Burnham's defense. If Vulcan reflect logic balanced by morality, he should have questioned the science academy rep on the moral nature of denying opportunity to two individuals without their consent and leaving it up to him to choose. I appreciate that Sarek is conflicted over this and admits he failed to consider the impact it would have in Michael, but it would have been nice to see an ethics debate among Vulcans. They are so rarely represented as being at odds with one another that it is significant when outliers appear on the shows. Reminds me of the Vulcan lady on DS9 who sided with the Maquis and failed to see how economic logic could negotiate terms until Quark spelled it out for her.

randommanthefirst
May 10, 2009

The first in a long line of random men.
Nap Ghost

Ramadu posted:

holodeck owned tho

:britain:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I hope that they randomly have some event that makes the weird DISCO Klingons look like TNG/DS9/etc Klingons as referenced by Worf in that episode of DS9 where they go back in time to the trouble with tribbles TOS episode.

I realize they used to look sort of like Vulcans but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Some BIG positives this week.

Burnham, Sarek and Lorca all finally get character beats that make me want to care about them. Tilly might easily have turned out incredibly annoying, but so far they're handling her well.

Sarek and Burnham's backstory plays off an episode from fifty years ago: we learned all the way back in Journey to Babel that Sarek and Spock didn't speak for years because of Spock's decision to join Starfleet, and now we finally find out WHY that decision upset Sarek so much. And it doesn't feel like a cheap hey-here's-a-TOS-callback moment; it actually works as a story.

I still have concerns. I'm still not sold on Klingon v3.0 as our main villains. Some of the dialog is still pretty clunky. But the show is getting better with every episode, and I'm more interested than ever in where it's going.