Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I just finished Halo: Reach, and wow that was just a plain old great shooter. I've been slowly working my way through a small backlog of PS3 and 360 games worth playing still, because I never had either console when they were current. Are there any other 360 or Xbone shooters or exclusives in general as good as Reach, or is it time for me to play God of War 3 for the first time now?

The only other Halo games I've played are 1 and 4, and after playing Reach I have no idea why I played 4 first, or at all. Are 2,3, ODST or 5 worth playing? I've also played Gears 3 within the last year, and enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Is it true that it ruins 4K blu ray support

Is this true? I use my Xbox one s as a 4K player a lot. The UI is ok, the side menu is much easier to use while gaming. The need for such a huge square for whatever app you are currently in seems a bit overdone though. I also like how it organizes your friends online by activity. That’s real handy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it's funny that when I bought an Xbone I realized that the 2 Halo games I wanted to play were Reach (because I really liked it) and ODST (which I never played through all the way but it was rad) and they also happened to the be 2 that weren't on the Halo collection.

Harkening back to the PS4 thread about how I want a re release. Rage recently went BC I and imo it's an absolutely steller shooter if you can accept that it has a not great open world attached to it. Not an exclusive but the PC version was poo poo afaik.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

it's funny that when I bought an Xbone I realized that the 2 Halo games I wanted to play were Reach (because I really liked it) and ODST (which I never played through all the way but it was rad) and they also happened to the be 2 that weren't on the Halo collection.

Harkening back to the PS4 thread about how I want a re release. Rage recently went BC I and imo it's an absolutely steller shooter if you can accept that it has a not great open world attached to it. Not an exclusive but the PC version was poo poo afaik.

ODST is definitely on the collection now if you're still looking to play it in 1080p60.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

You gotta pay $5 tho

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh man Rage was so rad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

RBX posted:

You gotta pay $5 tho

Only if you weren't a true believer.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mass Effect Andromeda is now free with EA Access.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Is it true that it ruins 4K blu ray support

Just tried one, no problem.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

The PC version was absolutely fine if you used a NVIDIA card (why on earth would you buy ATI and its lovely OpenGL support) and did some tweak on a .cfg file (takes two minutes).

Most of the graphical complains on PC were from ATI users or people that didn't update video drivers. Rage had its faults but looked great and I liked it.

This is how Rage looked on my PC on launch (it's on my steam screenshot directory):

My PC at that time was an i7 2600k @3.4Ghz, GTX 560Ti, 8Gb DDR3 @1333Mhz. That PC is still alive but with 16Gb RAM and a 960Ti.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Rage was a bad open world game full of enemies with hitscan weapons that happened to look good and run very well. The amount of time you had to spend listening to NPCs drone on about lore-based reasons for the typical "go here to buy upgrades for your car" open world poo poo was inexcusable.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Rage was poo poo in my humble opinion

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Still better than Halo 3 and Reach. :getin:

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twerk from Home posted:

I just finished Halo: Reach, and wow that was just a plain old great shooter. I've been slowly working my way through a small backlog of PS3 and 360 games worth playing still, because I never had either console when they were current. Are there any other 360 or Xbone shooters or exclusives in general as good as Reach, or is it time for me to play God of War 3 for the first time now?

The only other Halo games I've played are 1 and 4, and after playing Reach I have no idea why I played 4 first, or at all. Are 2,3, ODST or 5 worth playing? I've also played Gears 3 within the last year, and enjoyed it.

Halo 3 was dope and you should play it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The new UI isn't complete poo poo, so maybe Microsoft is getting it together.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Guillermus posted:

Wrong.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Guillermus posted:

I've played the last couple years good singleplayer PC shooters (DOOM, Far Cry 4, Wolf: New Order) and thought that Reach was about as good as a singleplayer shooter can get. Huge weapon variety, interesting enemies and a ton of them in an area at a time, and great transitions between big outdoor environments and indoor ones that make you fight differently.

Basically,

Agoat posted:

If you don't think Xbox and Halo are cool you are a God drat nerd

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 17, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

I've played the last couple years good singleplayer PC shooters (DOOM, Far Cry 4, Wolf: New Order) and thought that Reach was about as good as a singleplayer shooter can get. Huge weapon variety, interesting enemies and a ton of them in an area at a time, and great transitions between big outdoor environments and indoor ones that make you fight differently.
That last level :cry:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The only problem with the new UI was that I got so used to pressing the home button, then pressing right to get to the go to home option. Now I do this sub consciously and keep ending up in the conversations pane.

The way it opens panes on top of panes without making you move through a bunch of tabs or whatever is much better.

Are there any cool things you can add to your home screen below pins? Like, I have Xbox gold there now which is nice but I was wondering about one guide showings or a row of active friends, or lfg stuff or something.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ok, so I turned this on and had three banners. Getting Started, Pins, and Add More. I hit Y on Getting Started and deleted it, putting Pins at the top. Cool.

Then I decided to add a banner for XBox Live freebies. This slotted above pins. No problem, I will hit Y and put Pins back on top.

Hitting Y now does nothing. I can't move the banner up or down, and I can't delete it either. Not that I'd want to, but the Getting Started thingy doesn't appear in my Add More banner either.

I also went into a few different friends, and the "Add to Home" from the video tutorial is not present.

What's the deal here?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
MCC patch coming in 2018 with Xbox One X enhancements.

I'm so happy. It's like an abusive ex-girlfriend is coming back into my life and I'm enabling her.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
what's the size on xbox one x

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

whaley posted:

what's the size on xbox one x

Edit: never mind I r dum

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

MCC patch coming in 2018 with Xbox One X enhancements.

I'm so happy. It's like an abusive ex-girlfriend is coming back into my life and I'm enabling her.

Is "like enabling an abusive ex returning into my life" too long for a thread title?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

univbee posted:

Is "like enabling an abusive ex returning into my life" too long for a thread title?

It turns out it is not!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

VideoGames posted:

It turns out it is not!

:allears:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

It turns out it is not!

You is good people Videogames.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

VideoGames posted:

It turns out it is not!

:swoon:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
What: https://twitter.com/DragonpunkGame/status/906243373455081472

Where my Mechassault 3 at then MS?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Never seen a dev try and stave off a publisher passing on their game like that before. Feels weird

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Real hurthling! posted:

Never seen a dev try and stave off a publisher passing on their game like that before. Feels weird

Rare had a very small team work on a Perfect Dark sequel proposal that Microsoft rejected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcqixlBxbT4

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Just skip the middleman, rename their studio after some mid-level shadowrun reference, force them to sleep 8 hours a week for a month and then fire them all.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-shadow-of-war-xbox-one-x-one-version-to-rule-them-all

quote:

As thing stand, Shadow of War gives us a prime, early example of why Microsoft targeted Xbox One X's specific specs. The sense is that a higher pixel count alone isn't enough; more importantly, this console has the extra memory resources to give those pixels more to show off - better textures, and improved LODs, for example. Additional visual options such as the ability to toggle dynamic resolution scaling are also welcome. Those who want their true 4K can have it, while those looking for more consistent performance are also catered for.

It's the radically improved art that most obviously sets Xbox One X apart from PS4 Pro, but Monolith's approach to 4K textures likely won't apply to every game. At the start of the generation, 8GB of GDDR5 seemed almost overkill - a mammoth 16x increase over last-gen. That's still a hefty chunk of memory to work with and as such, the difference in other titles may not be so pronounced. However, based on the evidence presented by Shadow of War and Rise of the Tomb Raider in particular, it's possible that Xbox One X's 12GB provision is a good case of forward-thinking on Microsoft's part. We'll report back on final code just as soon as we can.

xbox finally has the right ram???????

Interesting that there is a toggle if you don't care about FPS either and just want pure 4K, can't think of anyone who would want that

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Can't wait for MS to cancel this game along with everything else

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

Twerk from Home posted:

Halo 2 and (the multiplayer of) Halo 5 are my personal favourites. Halo 3 is also generally well regarded.

If I were more of a singleplayer person, I'd be more likely to give Halo 5 a swerve. It's not terrible, but in my view it's nothing to write home about either.

fishmech posted:

It doesn't make it likely, that's the loving point. There's no connection at all between the things. Fact is the vast majority of America only has one actual choice for their internet connection: the local cable provider. Because DSL is completely non-competitive due to being like 7 megabit service at best in most areas. A small percentage of places have a fiber ISP which can actually provide an alternate service, or an alternate cable ISP. Yet the vast majority of Americans don't have any bandwidth cap.

I don't know what dumb poo poo is going on up in Canada besides the CRTC being useless and everyone having like 1 megabit upload max, but that has very little to do with America.

As an aside, Canadian Internet is bullshit. There are two or three large companies that have a stranglehold over everything, so most internet connections are slow, with ridiculously low caps.

In Toronto's it's gotten a bit better in the past year or two, as there are a few small ISPs that have laid their own fibre networks. So now I finally have Gigabit internet (1GB up/down), and it's the first time I've had uncapped internet since I lived in the UK. But yeah, a few years ago most game patching would really stress me out, and really be viable

The Oid fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 20, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Shaw is uncapped in western Canada and I get 175Mbps down on cable. The bigger problem is price.

Also I'm getting a little excited about the X. Uh oh

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Anyone have their games forcefully updated to 4K yet?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

VideoGames posted:

It turns out it is not!

looooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Umm... Why does the new Xbox dashboard have an ad recommending the top LGBT Social Club in my area?

Microsoft thinks I'm gay apparently :gay:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
OG Xbox games are coming tomorrow: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/first-13-original-xbox-games-announced-for-xbox-one-compatibility

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Ninja Gaiden Black
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Fuzion Frenzy
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Psychonauts
Dead to Rights
Black
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Sid Meier’s Pirates!
Red Faction II
BloodRayne 2