Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

May as well throw "Don't build inside mountains" because that is brutal due to the infestations. Use them to form walls around your compound but don't build anything inside of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

Dwarf Fortress.... IN SPACE

Shamelessly so. But in a good way.

Your colonists will create works of art, with semi-random descriptions, just like in DF. Best one I saw so far was a newlywed couple's new bed--marble with gold inlays, etched with the scene of their ceremony (held outdoors in the rain, also nobody had a place to sit because I didn't put any chairs near it) watched from afar by this dude she'd friendzoned so many times that he had a mental breakdown due to his advances being rebuffed one too many times.

Hopefully some modder (and someone more clever than I am) will work in the ability to come across abandoned settlements. Explorers in the distant future will find the remains of my first winning colony, which is adorned with various carefully-crafted objects bearing images of the life of Sasha, the loyal husky that landed with us.

Poor fuckin' thing had lost an eye, her tail, her snout, and her jaw to raider attacks before the end of it, and for some strange reason had developed severe alcoholism.

She watched us ascend into the heavens with her one remaining eye after spending a lifetime standing by our side.

Yes, I made sure the fridge was full of beer before we left.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Rimworld sounds so fun and up my alley but that price tag keeps me from pulling the trigger. And having $370 DLC for an Early Access game isn't a great look for any reason.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Elex has middling to bad reviews on most of the internet, what redeems it to make it a goon darling?

because we love gothic ok

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

LawfulWaffle posted:

And having $370 DLC for an Early Access game isn't a great look for any reason.
Those are kickstarter rewards that got ported over to Steam. :ssh:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm gonna play Fire Emblem Fates. Gimme all the knowledge I need! Sorry if I missed it in the last few pages if it popped up!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LawfulWaffle posted:

Rimworld sounds so fun and up my alley but that price tag keeps me from pulling the trigger. And having $370 DLC for an Early Access game isn't a great look for any reason.

Yeah, all you get is that one of the pirate bosses get named after you. It's not real DLC.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

food court bailiff posted:

Where is it a goon darling? I don't think I've seen anyone other than myself post positively about it.

(It's fun though. Definitely weird and janky but I'm having fun.)
I posted a few tips for it because it is instantly one of my favorite games in years. I seriously do not understand what people dislike about it. Though if you have never played a Gothic or Risen I suppose the combat would be fairly confusing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Just enjoy yourself. Experiment with different characters, see who you like. It's all pretty ridiculous, so just bask in that and beat the poo poo out of thousands of dudes at a time.
Yeah, I've played a couple battles so far and it's... Confusing. Riddle me this: there is a meter I charge up to use a super attack. Then there is another meter I charge up to use a super mode. If I use a super attack in the super mode, the result is a super super attack that ends the super mode. Does the super mode meter affect the super super attack in any way? IE is it better to just buff up and use the supermove near the end of the duration or do I use it straight away for maximum damage?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I've played a couple battles so far and it's... Confusing. Riddle me this: there is a meter I charge up to use a super attack. Then there is another meter I charge up to use a super mode. If I use a super attack in the super mode, the result is a super super attack that ends the super mode. Does the super mode meter affect the super super attack in any way? IE is it better to just buff up and use the supermove near the end of the duration or do I use it straight away for maximum damage?

IIRC, what remains of the super bar doesn't affect the super super, no. Generally you can go ahead and save it until the bar is nearly empty, but sometimes clearing an entire fort immediately is worth doing. Also due to how the friendship system works it can be worth it to cycle out of super mode as quickly as possible so that you can switch to a different crew member and repeat, that way you get more crew assists during future super modes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

EthanSteele posted:

I'm gonna play Fire Emblem Fates. Gimme all the knowledge I need! Sorry if I missed it in the last few pages if it popped up!

If you're playing Birthright, ensure that your avatar and Kaze get to an A Support before chapter 15, or he will die.

This is actually not a spoiler.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Pissed off a Republican, I'm guessing?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

anilEhilated posted:

There's a special (I think it's 'special', anyway) bar, and an awakening bar. These are charged up separately.

The special bar is drained when you press 'A' - when you do, your character executes a powerful attack that does a lot of damage.

The Awakening Bar is activated when you press...uh, something. I've only played co-op, and it's activated by pressing the two shoulder buttons on a single controller. This activates Awakening mode, where your character is buffed up, does extra damage, ignores the weapon triangle or something, that kind of thing. This mode lasts until the Awakening bar is completely drained, at which point your character will execute a very powerful attack. If you feel like doing the very powerful attack before your bar is completely drained, you can, but it doesn't do extra damage (I think, it's loving impossible to find any information about this because so many loving things are called 'Awakening', including the game that a bunch of characters are from).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dr. Quarex posted:

I posted a few tips for it because it is instantly one of my favorite games in years. I seriously do not understand what people dislike about it. Though if you have never played a Gothic or Risen I suppose the combat would be fairly confusing.

I've never played a Gothic or Risen and I'm loving the poo poo out of ELEX. For a while it was just a fun decent game and I was really enjoying just exploring and finding the rough edges of the dialogue/systems/whatever, but last night I finished the Tooth for a Tooth Goliet quest and the game shot up to "actually really good and not just weird/bad-good" in my mind.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
SNES Secret of Mana tips? My wife and I are about to pick up Undine, but I feel like we're not being efficient.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

SNES Secret of Mana tips? My wife and I are about to pick up Undine, but I feel like we're not being efficient.

Pick a weapon for each character and stick with it. Try to diversify, aka melee, mid range, and ranged. Switch who you control to deal with situations, not what weapon you have.

I don't bother charging attacks above level 3. The time it takes is better spent hitting poo poo.

Once you have magic, you can open your ring menu and cast again before the spell actually goes off. Chain spells like this and you can cause unavoidable, catastrophic amounts of damage.

The haunted forest boss is the wake up call. Make sure you spend the time to optimize your gear before trying to tackle it.

Don't ever buy poo poo from Neko.

This is much later, but the pure land will gently caress. You. Up. Grind for a few levels and maxed gear.

How do you feel like you're not being efficient?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 25, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Edit: oops

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for the One Piece Warriors game? Bearing in mind I only ever played a bit of Warriors Orochi and recently discovered I actually have this without knowing anything about the anime or game?

the game never actually tells you this outright but your dodge button also has two other undocumented uses:
1) use it to instantly sprint while moving from area to area. you'll eventually reach top speed without it, but it takes like 10 seconds.
2) it's also a dodge cancel with no recovery time so you can cancel through any annoying follow-throughs a character might have on their final hit and go straight into starting a new attack chain. also useful if you accidentally overshoot the move you want to do.

Leavemywife posted:

since you're playing multiplayer, you should avoid using magic because it slows the game down a lot. however, using melee attacks can seem frustrating, especially against bosses who have unpredictable invincibility frames and they all share an insane evasion stat.

the trick is to use charge attacks, which ignore mathematical evasion (if you hit during an i-frame, you're still SOL). charging higher will do more damage, but by the point in the game where you unlock a lv6 charge, you'll hit the damage cap with a lv5 charge. by the time you can charge to lv8, you'll hit the damage cap with a L2 charge. me, i think 2 is a good point to charge to most of the time.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

well... he is your only source for magic walnuts for a really, really long time. he does have a 100% markup, though. and he also sells the strongest armor you can buy in a shop at the end of the game. this isn't a set-in-stone rule.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 25, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The White Dragon posted:

2) it's also a dodge cancel with no recovery time so you can cancel through any annoying follow-throughs a character might have on their final hit and go straight into starting a new attack chain. also useful if you accidentally overshoot the move you want to do.

I haven't played the One Piece Warriors yet, but are you sure it's any? Normally it'll work for some, or even most, characters/weapons but there's usually some that are animation locked intentionally and dodge cancelling won't work. Definitely still useful, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
anything! it even works on tashigi's awful stumbling after her finishers. i guess musou/kizuna attacks are the exception. and possibly law's room attacks.

actually that's the other thing: the game never really explains how to do a kizuna attack. basically, as long as there are other named characters in your faction, you can switch between them and they'll assist you in the last hit of your combo. any enemies they hit builds their kizuna gauge--and to clarify, i do mean any enemies they hit, so if you're luffy, don't just punch everything out of the way while your partner hits nothing, or they won't build any kizuna. when it's full, when you use a musou attack, they'll use theirs as well.

in fact, everyone who has a full kizuna gauge, up to three other allies, will assist, increasing damage, extending the range to hit everything in every character's attack range, and proccing any additional debuffs they might inflict.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

That sounds like you're talking about pirate warriors 3

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah one piece warriors is kaizoku musou is pirate warriors right?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Pick a weapon for each character and stick with it. Try to diversify, aka melee, mid range, and ranged. Switch who you control to deal with situations, not what weapon you have.

I don't bother charging attacks above level 3. The time it takes is better spent hitting poo poo.

Once you have magic, you can open your ring menu and cast again before the spell actually goes off. Chain spells like this and you can cause unavoidable, catastrophic amounts of damage.

The haunted forest boss is the wake up call. Make sure you spend the time to optimize your gear before trying to tackle it.

This is much later, but the pure land will gently caress. You. Up. Grind for a few levels and maxed gear.

How do you feel like you're not being efficient?

Thanks for the advice! It just seemed like we weren't as strong as we should be, even though we've killed every enemy we encountered. Extra, even, since we got turned around a little bit getting down to Gaia's Navel.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

Thanks for the advice! It just seemed like we weren't as strong as we should be, even though we've killed every enemy we encountered. Extra, even, since we got turned around a little bit getting down to Gaia's Navel.

You have to remember that this is an SNES era rpg, and you will have to grind for levels and equipment here and there. You can usually tell when you need to train based on how difficult enemies are though.

Also, you understand the % charge meter when you swing right? Don't swing until it gets back to 100%, or you won't do any damage (it can be useful to hiccup something though with tiny hits so you can reposition or let your team mates clear off other enemies).

Also, change your AI partner's behavior! By default they act like idiots and try to charge attacks to max and then whiff them. It's the ACT icon in your ring menu.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 25, 2017

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Leavemywife posted:

You level up magic by using it. You might think the best way to do this is sit in an Inn and level it up there. DO NOT DO THIS! Magic experience in Inns is 50%. Instead sleep to recharge your magic, run outside, and then magic to your heart's content. The best place to do this is Neko's Inn near the beginning of the game.

Magic also stacks up to 999. A good strategy with bosses is to hit them with multiple spells to stun lock them and pile on the damage. There is a slight delay when your character finishes casting but before it hits where you can immediately cast another,or the same, magic skill. Keep in mind any damage over 999 isn't applied. Bosses can do this as well to you so be careful.

If you can buy better armor, do it. Late game enemies will WRECK you if you don't have better armor. This isn't 100% true but that only matters when you've played through it before.

Don't be afraid to look up a guide if you're lost. This is an old school game and it does not hold your hand. Before the internet I almost couldn't finish the game because I didn't go to a past town and walk a way that has nothing to show you can walk down it to find an old guy that had nothing to tell you when you talked to him until you passed a certain point in the story.

When you gain the ability to traverse the world map without cannons be sure to explore. Some places you think are just backgrounds actually hold villages.

Speaking of cannons keep your use of them to a minimum. When you use a cannon you miss all the exp and gold from murdering poo poo.

The first time you fight the tiger boss use the bow. Even still that dude is a MASSIVE pain in the rear end and will probably kill you a few times. If you are having trouble fighting the werewolf enemies get a few more levels before advancing. It's hard for me to stress just how hard that loving tiger is. gently caress that tiger.

Edit: Remember this is an old school game so autosaves don't exist. Any chance you get to save take it.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 25, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

We get the charge meter, we're attacking at 100%. Oddly enough, the Spiky Tiger got his poo poo wrecked (and I mean, fuckin' bad), and I think the Boy is only level 9. I played the game a lot when I was younger and revisiting now, I don't really remember a ton from it. It's one of those things where maybe I'm misremembering how the game actually works and I'm thinking about it too much. We've upgraded our gear to the best stuff we can, reforged weapons as we could; I'm probably remembering how magic makes things a breeze and there's just that odd spot in the beginning where you don't have access to any spells.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

limp_cheese posted:

You level up magic by using it. You might think the best way to do this is sit in an Inn and level it up there. DO NOT DO THIS!

i thought the best place to grind your magic was in the wind palace? grandpa heals your HP/MP instantly for free without the sleep sequence, but palaces are also considered combat zones.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Leavemywife posted:

We get the charge meter, we're attacking at 100%. Oddly enough, the Spiky Tiger got his poo poo wrecked (and I mean, fuckin' bad), and I think the Boy is only level 9. I played the game a lot when I was younger and revisiting now, I don't really remember a ton from it. It's one of those things where maybe I'm misremembering how the game actually works and I'm thinking about it too much. We've upgraded our gear to the best stuff we can, reforged weapons as we could; I'm probably remembering how magic makes things a breeze and there's just that odd spot in the beginning where you don't have access to any spells.

Maybe that guy was just super hard for kids.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Having two real people instead of two dumb AI probably doesn't hurt.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Secret of Mana becomes really trivial when you spam offensive magic and chug walnuts for every boss fight, there are very few bosses you can't stunlock to oblivion doing this.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Having two real people instead of two dumb AI probably doesn't hurt.

nah spikey tiger has some nasty attacks, including one that you basically can't dodge unless you proc evade. it also casts damage+debuff spells, and does so from a place that only ranged weapons can hit, so if you haven't been leveling bow or boomerang, there's an entire window where the enemy can hit you but you can't hit it. the fight is an extreme battle of attrition because your only accessible healing is a maximum of four candies (and maybe four expensive cup of wishes). if you want any more than that, you need to buy chocolate or royal jelly from neko :whitewater:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

The White Dragon posted:

yeah one piece warriors is kaizoku musou is pirate warriors right?

Yeah but each game plays a bit differently in regards to things like kizuna attacks etc.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Edit: Remember this is an old school game so autosaves don't exist. Any chance you get to save take it.

The SNES mini has a very handy rewind feature though, which works about the same way.

The White Dragon posted:

nah spikey tiger has some nasty attacks, including one that you basically can't dodge unless you proc evade. it also casts damage+debuff spells, and does so from a place that only ranged weapons can hit

I think maybe you might be able to hit him with the spear or whip? But yeah he is a bitch and a half.

The way we've done it with regards to magic is to use up all the MP of both the sprite and the girl when going between/to bosses and use a couple of walnuts at the start of the fight if we want to spam down the boss with magic. That way you get some decent magic leveling without turning it into a horrible grind.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Anything for Destiny 2? I am a pc player so never played D1. I gather that you should wait until you decrypt engrams? Also, once I have a better bit of armour or weapon, it is ok to just dismantle the old stuff?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Leavemywife posted:

My wife and I played through Secret of Mana a few years ago, this is what I learned. If possible, do some "off camera" grinding to raise the magic levels after getting a new mana seed so you both don't have to sit through magic animations for an hour. If you put the game down for two days after you get Flammie you will 100% get lost and not know where to go. Keep a guide handy just to point you in the right direction. Set the AI to charge attacks to level 2 or 3.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Catzilla posted:

Anything for Destiny 2? I am a pc player so never played D1. I gather that you should wait until you decrypt engrams? Also, once I have a better bit of armour or weapon, it is ok to just dismantle the old stuff?

Focus on the story missions, doing the adventures on Earth and the other planets to get your level high enough to start the next plot piece. Don't worry about doing all the adventures in an area before leaving, especially on Titan. Finishing the story and hitting level 20 open up a lot of new features do those are kind of the priority. Feel free to scrap anything that's a lower power level than your best, but don't feel like you have to run with two sidearms because they are a few points higher than guns you like; the game will look at the power level of items in your inventory when calculating drops. Engrams are seeded when you pick them up so there's no benefit to waiting. The Cruicible matches (PVP) equalize the power of everyone's equipment, so even the starting gear is viable. Your character's abilities and any special qualities of your gear will be what set you apart, but don't think you have to wait until the endgame to join a match.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

LawfulWaffle posted:

Focus on the story missions, doing the adventures on Earth and the other planets to get your level high enough to start the next plot piece. Don't worry about doing all the adventures in an area before leaving, especially on Titan. Finishing the story and hitting level 20 open up a lot of new features do those are kind of the priority. Feel free to scrap anything that's a lower power level than your best, but don't feel like you have to run with two sidearms because they are a few points higher than guns you like; the game will look at the power level of items in your inventory when calculating drops. Engrams are seeded when you pick them up so there's no benefit to waiting. The Cruicible matches (PVP) equalize the power of everyone's equipment, so even the starting gear is viable. Your character's abilities and any special qualities of your gear will be what set you apart, but don't think you have to wait until the endgame to join a match.

Thats really helpful, thanks!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Catzilla posted:

I'm in the same situation you are, so I've only played a bit yesterday, but:

You unlock the two subclasses you don't start with for the Class you're playing by finding an item at random. I got mine from a loot box at level 8, don't know when they start dropping. It'll have you kill enemies/do public events to charge a meter, which will then send you to do a quest specific to that subclass in the EDZ.

Unlocks in the "main" grid seem to carry over between Sublcasses (so grenades, class abilities, movement abilities) but the ones in the outer diamonds do not, so if you're looking to kit out a subclass you don't have yet, and not interested in the one you're playing, just save some upgrade points.

Your energy weapon (bound to 2) is great for popping shields. The tutorial tells you about the shield causing an explosion if you match the energy type, but even if you don't match the energy type your energy weapon is still what you want to use to pop shields, you just don't get the explosion.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can someone do MGS 5 for me? Im just getting into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

Can someone do MGS 5 for me? Im just getting into it
The stuff on the wiki seems good. I'd just add that you need to make it through the godawful opening mission and then just have fun.