Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Raid mode in Rev 2 was disappointing. Everything was either too easy or way too loving hard with no middle ground.

In a better world Capcom would have made a Mercenaries/Raid mode game like Castlevania Harmony of Despair and put it out on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/FrzZPgp.gifv
Thanks game. Thanks a lot.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
oh my god

http://gematsu.com/2017/10/resident-evil-revelations-1-2-switch-add-exclusive-retro-minigames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvHJ0amGD0U

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 20, 2017

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lunethex posted:

oh my god

-Sir Burton-

I'm so incredibly salty/envious of this silly little extra that words can't do it justice. I've been here since the goddamn Ji(bb)ll(e) sandwich incident and I had Ghouls N Ghosts on Mega Drive, Capcom. Where's my fuggin' comically appropriate minigame?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish Revelations 2 would stop going 'haha remember that funny line from the first game???'

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
amazing, totally double dipping on this rev collection. i hope its the full gng

rev 2 main campaign is still kickass tho, way better than that trash and rear end ship

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm mad at those tentacle monsters with the big glowing core that has an attack that one shots you at the end of 'kill a bunch of stuff while the lift arrives'.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm mad at those tentacle monsters with the big glowing core that has an attack that one shots you at the end of 'kill a bunch of stuff while the lift arrives'.
Oh, ohhh. This thing. Yeah I get that, Durga's a complete loving oval office the first time through.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm mad that I got the bad end of Revelations 2 and I'd have to play half the game again for the good one because of something I didn't even realise was a choice.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm going to play Dead Aim today.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm mad that I got the bad end of Revelations 2 and I'd have to play half the game again for the good one because of something I didn't even realise was a choice.
It reminds me of how in the original RE1 to get the good ending as Jill you'd have to go against video game logic and wait for Barry to find and bring your a rope to climb out of a hole. I like that way more than that dialogue choice before the Lisa Trevor fight in REmake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always wait for people just in case because of Shadow in FF6.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Okay what's with this loving series and boats.

There might be more games with boats than classic zombies at this point.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

I completely lucked out on this because I put my controller down like an idiot thinking that Revelations 2 wouldn't have QTE poo poo in the middle of cutscenes. I mean, Revelations 1 didn't pull any of that from what I remember, and such horrible poo poo belongs in the main games only, right?

Wrong.

A total loving Kendo moment of "by the time I realised" etc., the good ending to that scene had played out leaving me utterly confused as to whether or not I'd done anything to cause it.

Raxivace posted:

It reminds me of how in the original RE1 to get the good ending as Jill you'd have to go against video game logic and wait for Barry to find and bring your a rope to climb out of a hole. I like that way more than that dialogue choice before the Lisa Trevor fight in REmake.
Scientific research shows that there is a strong correlation between not waiting for ropes and watching your friends die.

When you think about it, the original '96 option does make sense in a really dumb "Japanese storytelling" sort of way, i.e. if you trust Barry and wait for him to get the other rope then he'll do the right thing and repay the favour by clobbering Wesker later on while giving some expositional waffle about how bad he feels. It's still dumb as gently caress though since it can potentially be literal hours between a player making that choice and getting to the lab on a first run through the game, not to mention it's also completely unintuitive as far as making choices in videogames go anyway. I thought getting the passcode for that one door on 2F was enough of a reason to wait around!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

okay i have no idea what bad ending y'all are talking about, does that happen if you don't shoot Claires boss as Moira?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah if you just do the hit the button QTE with Claire like the game seems to want you to do you get the bad ending because uh :shrug:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

okay i have no idea what bad ending y'all are talking about, does that happen if you don't shoot Claires boss as Moira?

Yeah. If Moira isn't the one to do it the game ends after Barry's solo fight with Alex. They probably should have just stuck with referencing the terrible dialogue of RE1 instead of the terrible divergent narratives.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah if you just do the hit the button QTE with Claire like the game seems to want you to do you get the bad ending because uh :shrug:

huh, i didnt know that there was a bad end at all. also i am like 99% certain the game explicitly told me to switch characters when that happened? because i definitely wouldnt have thought to do that.

edit: maybe its the platform? i played on ps4

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 24, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I started doing the QTE, noticed it said you could switch characters, switched to Moira who was slowly crawling forward while it looked like Claire was getting killed, switched back and hit square like twice and that was enough to finish it because I guess it remembers how much you'd hit the button beforehand and that was it. I kind of just shrugged and carried on.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

huh, i didnt know that there was a bad end at all. also i am like 99% certain the game explicitly told me to switch characters when that happened? because i definitely wouldnt have thought to do that.

edit: maybe its the platform? i played on ps4

If I recall correctly it gives you the prompt to switch characters a short time into the QTE as Claire. My thought at the time was "Why would I switch to the character the game has told me will not use a gun?"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

This was made worse when playing co-op, as i finished my QTE as Claire way faster than he did as Moira and we were very disappointed by the "ending". On another note, it's a shame it's local co-op only as Barry and Natalie's invisible enemy gimmick is DYING for mis-communication/trying to go by the in-game directions that are ruined by being able to screen-look and see where it is you need to shoot.Or i guess just throwing explosive bottles at all the invisible enemies.

On another,another note, the brick needs to come back in RE8 or at least referenced in how powerful it is in Not a Hero whenever that comes out for 7

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The few times I ever used the brick it was a one way ticket to every zomb in the area homing in on me, what was OP about it?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was playing as Claire and was much faster than my coop partner. The bad ending is a real punch in the gut, and made the good ending final battle really satisfying.

I just wish the choice was a little later on the game. Oh well. I've never gotten the good ending in the original RE so it's not like that sort of movie doesn't have a precedent.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah my problem wasn't really with the choice it's self, though it seems arbitrary, and more with having to replay half the game that contains at least two 'Barry and Natalia have split up' bits and the bit in the mines where you can't stay in the gas too long.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

otoh i definitely think the first half of the game is better, but the sluice master section and especially imo the last barry chapter ugh

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sakurazuka posted:

The few times I ever used the brick it was a one way ticket to every zomb in the area homing in on me, what was OP about it?

I think one of the skills made it do an insane amount of damage if you picked it? But it was more the fact that this little girl chucking a brick at the monster always made them fall flat on their asses was the most hilarous thing.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

the brick needs to come back in RE8 or at least referenced in how powerful it is in Not a Hero whenever that comes out for 7
Compared to the power of Chris' punches, the brick is loving nothing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kibayasu posted:

If I recall correctly it gives you the prompt to switch characters a short time into the QTE as Claire. My thought at the time was "Why would I switch to the character the game has told me will not use a gun?"
To which the obvious answer is "Having Moira overcome her fears when her friend needs her, is by far the most dramatically appropriate direction for this scene to go".

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

When you think about it, the original '96 option does make sense in a really dumb "Japanese storytelling" sort of way, i.e. if you trust Barry and wait for him to get the other rope then he'll do the right thing and repay the favour by clobbering Wesker later on while giving some expositional waffle about how bad he feels. It's still dumb as gently caress though since it can potentially be literal hours between a player making that choice and getting to the lab on a first run through the game, not to mention it's also completely unintuitive as far as making choices in videogames go anyway. I thought getting the passcode for that one door on 2F was enough of a reason to wait around!
The thing that's weird about it is really that the characters, for once, act completely reasonably. Barry says he'll get the rope, Jill doesn't fiddle around with a weird gravestone and then leave without telling Barry, and then Barry returns with a rope. Really, both of these points of divergence seem to gently caress some people up because they ask you to ignore game logic - without making it obvious a choice is happening.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tbh I'm not really thinking about the thematic appropriateness of a situation when I've just beaten an annoying boss and I'm not sure how for back it'll put me if I fail their stupid qte.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To which the obvious answer is "Having Moira overcome her fears when her friend needs her, is by far the most dramatically appropriate direction for this scene to go".

But the issue is that it's not made clear Clair needs her for that. Because she can, you know, actually do it herself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You also dont need to replay any barry to do that IIRC. You just need to redo claires story from that chapter.

Its an insane amount of replaying for a trap option but goddamit being the best dad in the world comes with making sacrifices.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Tbh I'm not really thinking about the thematic appropriateness of a situation when I've just beaten an annoying boss and I'm not sure how for back it'll put me if I fail their stupid qte.
If you, the player, can't step into Barry's shoes and make Moira realize the gun is good, then do you truly deserve the good ending? The choice that's set up rewards narrative engagement with a more satisfying narrative, in a similar manner to how playing a game well generally rewards you with improved or expanded gameplay. Having a narrative reward which flows from the player's engagement with the material and characters presented, is a great choice for a medium that doesn't always manage to marry game mechanics and narrative particularly well.

Pureauthor posted:

But the issue is that it's not made clear Clair needs her for that. Because she can, you know, actually do it herself.
Moira doesn't know that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Moira doesn't know that.

The person pushing the buttons isn't Moira.

Really the QTE just should have been a lot harder because I only got the switch to Moira prompt a second or two before Claire won.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The thing that's weird about it is really that the characters, for once, act completely reasonably. Barry says he'll get the rope, Jill doesn't fiddle around with a weird gravestone and then leave without telling Barry, and then Barry returns with a rope. Really, both of these points of divergence seem to gently caress some people up because they ask you to ignore game logic - without making it obvious a choice is happening.

I can honestly say I never didn't wait around for Barry to bring back the rope. How does the plot diverge if you don't wait for him?

I remember seeing screenshots where Barry gets killed in the Tyrant lab fight. Is that what happened if you went down the gravestone ladder before Barry returns?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

I can honestly say I never didn't wait around for Barry to bring back the rope. How does the plot diverge if you don't wait for him?

I remember seeing screenshots where Barry gets killed in the Tyrant lab fight. Is that what happened if you went down the gravestone ladder before Barry returns?

I think if you don't wait for Barry you meet him in a safe room after fighting the tyrant where he dies from the disappointment and sadness that you didn't wait for him. Actually I don't ever remember an explanation for what killed him. Presumably, you know, zombies and such but who knows.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

The person pushing the buttons isn't Moira.
That's true. Their position outside the game gives them an understanding of the (existence of a) narrative though, in which Moira wouldn't necessarily be aware that Claire could handle things herself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Come to think of it I never played Rev2 in local co-op so I wonder if Moira's QTE or whatever the other player gets is significantly easier then Claire's and it was built with that understanding in mind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is that other RE7 DLC aside from Not a Hero still coming out or are they just hoping everyone forgot about that?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
End of Zoe releases the same day as Not A Hero and the Gold Edition of RE7, December 12.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
RE7 is fun as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Man remake is still great but it's just not scary at all after re7. It terrified me too much to play when I was younger so I was hoping it would still give me a good Halloween spookin