Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can just leave a slot empty, too. XP that would've gone to it is distributed between your other weapons.

I never knew this. Now I can leave the melee slot empty on mesa when I play her and not feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

clone on the phone posted:

I never knew this. Now I can leave the melee slot empty on mesa when I play her and not feel bad.

Oh yeah. If you have a booster you can max a single weapon on a defense in 10 waves

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Annath posted:

What's this 700 Plat mod?

There are a couple of no longer obtainable event-only mods that now go for ridiculous prices.

For that last one, only 100 copies exist. It probably costs at least 10x as much as the other two combined.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

clone on the phone posted:

Oh yeah, get that sweet frame bonus.

In frustrating revelations to me and today's fresh riven, the Vaykor Sydon is a 2 disposition. What the gently caress. No one uses that damned thing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I need to remember to install this on my laptop before I go on travel this week. Hopefully the "upgraded" wifi I get from Hilton Honors can play it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Raptor1033 posted:

Oh yeah, get that sweet frame bonus.

In frustrating revelations to me and today's fresh riven, the Vaykor Sydon is a 2 disposition. What the gently caress. No one uses that damned thing.

Lol. I got a Hirudo today which is a 1.

Someone offered to trade my extra Primed Pressure Point for a Melee Riven and I had to run like 15 indexes to get them the million credits to trade because their friend kept on loving it up.

Pretty much a textbook example of sunk cost fallacy

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

You can turn the opticor into a portable death star laser. I highly recommend it.

Oh yeah! And this lovely gun! I hated it when I first used it but it recently got a decent little buff on its own and its rivens are in high demand cause they turn it into a war crime. I've noticed on big targets, it can impact and damage the first spot then penetrates and if there's another enemy limb or some poo poo behind, hit that too. I've gotten two or three hits in a single shot on Vay Hek several times due to this. Fun as hell!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Rubico sucks,

this is false

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are a couple of no longer obtainable event-only mods that now go for ridiculous prices.

For that last one, only 100 copies exist. It probably costs at least 10x as much as the other two combined.
Closer to 50x. Maiming Strike is ~900p, Argon Scope is ~600p, Primed Chamber is like 50,000p+. Hard to even get a bead on it because there are so few. At least there's a (significantly worse) pleb-tier option:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 24, 2017

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Wilekat posted:

Killed my first eidolon tonight, which was a lot of fun. I figure I'll probably look to jump in in them quite a lot now.

What are good primary picks for that? I was using my Soma P, but the ammo economy with it is really not good, so need some alternatives. Snipers? Opticor?

For anti-Eidolon primaries my personal picks would be Soma Prime, Vectis Prime, Rubico, and Opticor. For the Rubico and the Opticor you probably want a riven but it's not 100% necessary. Rubico is the overall best with a good Riven, it blows past Vectis Prime (even if you have a good Vectis Riven, the Rubico just scales a lot harder). If you are having trouble with ammo on the Soma I'd say your group is pretty low DPS. Chroma, Harrow, and Octavia are some of the best DPS frames you can bring (at least 1 Rhino is great to have as well). Don't use the Soma on Vonmalysts obviously, get them with your other weapons or Operator powers.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

"Newbie builds" is kind of an oxymoron, since newbies don't really have the tools necessary to do what veterans think of as 'builds.' But here's the quick lowdown.

Weapons are pretty straightforward, if it has like 20% crit you turn it into a crit gun, otherwise straight damage. If it's ammo efficient or has a charge mechanic, put on a fire rate mod. If it doesn't have AOE or innate punchthrough, put on Shred/Seeking Fury/Seeker/Concealed Explosives. For Melee, always Fury.

Frames, you need corrupted mods to actually 'build,' but since we're assuming you don't have those, I generally say 2x defensive mods (Either Vitality+Redirection or Vitality+Steel Fiber), then whatever combination of Streamline, Stretch, Intensify, Continuity makes sense for whatever ability you want to maximize that you can still fit in.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I got a Hirudo today which is a 1.

Yes but this makes perfect sense. Hirudo owns.

Wilekat posted:

Killed my first eidolon tonight, which was a lot of fun. I figure I'll probably look to jump in in them quite a lot now.

What are good primary picks for that? I was using my Soma P, but the ammo economy with it is really not good, so need some alternatives. Snipers? Opticor?

For Eidolon Hunting, I think the Arca Plasmor is the hard gun to beat. There's something fucky with the way that Vex Armor interacts with dual-element weapons so that Arca Plasmor with relatively high power strength Chroma's are 1-shotting the Eidolon.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Hm.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

This is what I'm afraid of!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does that Zaw fix mean I can actually afford to make one without gouging my eyes out farming?!

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Did Oberon still a mediocre pretty man or has he gotten a rework yet?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Oberon was reworked and he's kind of okay now. His problem is still that he's kind of jack-of-all-trades when the game is about specializing in a field.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Both! :keke: He's a lot better than he used to be and has more synergy between his powers than before, but still is never the most powerful frame on the field. I like him a lot in his current state, especially Oberon Prime.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
4 vectis primes later I got Frost Harka. I think I am done with twitch now

Extremely same, even with every stream at 160p. I have 50 gb left to last out the month. Worth it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Though it looks like this update did the impossible and actually gave sniper rifles a use. Vectis prime is working great for me right now.

You lie!I'm curious, how well do they work now?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Man, I am actually really, really liking Gara. I didn't know her 2 gets buffed by her 3 and 4 breaking (as well as refreshed when you cast her 4), or that her 1 scaled off your melee weapons' damage mods. No wonder the thing felt so drat strong.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Synthbuttrange posted:

They made the combo counter for them decay over time instead of just dropping all at once. This sounds minor but it's a huge deal. They also lowered the zoom values and switched out a lot of the zoomed bonuses from a low percentage (usually 10-15%) +damage bonus to higher valued headshot damage bonuses. Oh and they all have a base 1m punch-through now if they didn't already.

I still don't think they're super amazing or anything, but they're totally usable and even fun out in the plains where the zoom can actually be useful.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Since Destiny 2 didn't hold my interest past the first month, I'm interested in trying this. The problem is that the last time I played Warframe was back when it was new, and I never quite got into it. Seeing how much it has evolved since then... And I fear that I'll be overwhelmed.

So... As a "late to the party" type of guy, should I give Warframe a serious shot and push past the beginning ( of the game )?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Save yourself fool! It will devour you!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Why do you hurt us? We are your flesh...

Arthe Xavier posted:

But I want to be... Devoured. :unsmith:

Consume us. MAKE US WHOLE.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 24, 2017

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Synthbuttrange posted:

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

Arthe Xavier posted:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

sepia
Apr 15, 2005
bleach then tone

Arthe Xavier posted:

Since Destiny 2 didn't hold my interest past the first month, I'm interested in trying this. The problem is that the last time I played Warframe was back when it was new, and I never quite got into it. Seeing how much it has evolved since then... And I fear that I'll be overwhelmed.

So... As a "late to the party" type of guy, should I give Warframe a serious shot and push past the beginning ( of the game )?

Join the clan, ask as many questions as you feel like, get showered in whatever mods you didn't get last time you played it, if your account is restarted pick excalibur as your starter because gently caress farming for excal now. Start building the dojo key asap.

Endgame is old dudes helping new dudes so don't be shy.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Thanks Kuva sortie reward. I am sorry for saying you sucked.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

xiansi posted:

It's always best to have something in every slot <30 to be levelling mastery, right?
Actually, I recommend having one of your slots be an actual leveled good weapon, in case something unexpected shows up.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I heard he got a rework and as a newer player, I think he might be the best noob frame cause of the arua heal and hallowed ground

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No that's wrong, the best power is his :siren:Chaos Duuuuunk!:siren:

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 24, 2017

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Looking through old posts in this thread.

Before explosive weapons had self damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxwW9TA8nBU

Opticor used to be SILENT (and so did Ogris, apparently).

Cainer posted:

Just got Opticor and wow what the hell. High damage, AoE with no friendly fire, pin point accuracy AND silent!? I am gonna forma this thing so hard. :gizz:

TheMostFrench posted:

Warframe also compares well to F-Zero, if you treat it like a death race. Play this on loop during survival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bKJifzGaOs

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

Closer to 50x. Maiming Strike is ~900p, Argon Scope is ~600p, Primed Chamber is like 50,000p+. Hard to even get a bead on it because there are so few. At least there's a (significantly worse) pleb-tier option:

I’m especially annoyed at this because Vectis Prime is one of my fave weapons :mad:

Meanwhile, I’m on a six-day trip to Naples, and my PC at home is quietly farming Twitch drops 24/7 via thirty auto-refreshed stream windows on the desktop (hopefully without bursting into flames). Looking forward to finding out if there’s an inbox cap.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think I have a copy of primed chamber. :stare:

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Flipswitch posted:

I think I have a copy of primed chamber. :stare:

Well, you're rich.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

wid posted:

It were only Tipedo and Dual Zorens. And it was godawful especially since now we have so many fun melee weapons. Also, you were fast horizontally but coptering was useless vertically. Air dash could do vertical but it was wonky and also required certain weapons (polearms) to be more controllable. Bulletjump is one of DE's crowning achievements at making the game feel more ninja and fast.
It wasn't only those. Neither one was optimal. I mean, Tipedo was kinda optimal if you wanted to melee stuff. Ceramic Dagger gave you faster movement and further distance than either of those, though.

The new system is awkward and more complicated key press wise. I still need to figure out new binds, the old system if you bound space to crouch+mwheeldown to jump was easy as heck. Now bullet jump breaks if you do the inputs too quickly. If you bind jump to mwheel down it doesn't work properly (still, ages later, de please), and you need to awkwardly use zoom which you probably have to rebind to your keyboard if you're me. It just feels real bad, nevermind how slow you move in nearly all situations. With coptering you could easily do things like copter+kill everything with mesa ult or ogris or whatever weapon before you land.

At least they added zoom sensitivity so aim glide isn't as awful as before, but I haven't played around with it to see if you can get a 1:1 sensitivity ratio. Before, it was unusably slow and I use a higher sensitivity in warframe than any other fps because it's trivial to hit things.

I'm glad as heck I don't have to farm any movement required resources. I got 1000 neurals when you could still run alad in ~40s average with the old movement system. It'd take literal minutes now. New movement being 10x or more slower and kinda awkward soured me on warframe in a big way, and no matter how much movement 2.0 I play it really irks me. If you were good at the old system there's really no comparison, you could run circles around anyone using 2.0 and trivially kill things while doing it. 2.0 just feels clumsy and slow, and I feel I've given it more than a fair shake at this point with probably an equal amount of time invested into both.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 24, 2017

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's more like range is an actual thing now. I was a staunch hater of sniper rifles before. But with the new PoE giant map, you can actually wipe out the enemy squad before their melee units reach you. They're still garbage in regular maps though. Which is fine. Shotguns are garbage in the plains, for the most part.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Khorne posted:

It wasn't only those. Neither one was optimal. I mean, Tipedo was kinda optimal if you wanted to melee stuff. Ceramic Dagger gave you faster movement and further distance than either of those, though.

The new system is awkward and more complicated key press wise. I still need to figure out new binds, the old system if you bound space to crouch+mwheeldown to jump was easy as heck. Now bullet jump breaks if you do the inputs too quickly. If you bind jump to mwheel down it doesn't work properly (still, ages later, de please), and you need to awkwardly use zoom which you probably have to rebind to your keyboard if you're me. It just feels real bad, nevermind how slow you move in nearly all situations. With coptering you could easily do things like copter+kill everything with mesa ult or ogris or whatever weapon before you land.

At least they added zoom sensitivity so aim glide isn't as awful as before, but I haven't played around with it to see if you can get a 1:1 sensitivity ratio. Before, it was unusably slow and I use a higher sensitivity in warframe than any other fps because it's trivial to hit things.

I'm glad as heck I don't have to farm any movement required resources. I got 1000 neurals when you could still run alad in ~40s average with the old movement system. It'd take literal minutes now. New movement being 10x or more slower and kinda awkward soured me on warframe in a big way, and no matter how much movement 2.0 I play it really irks me. If you were good at the old system there's really no comparison, you could run circles around anyone using 2.0 and trivially kill things while doing it. 2.0 just feels clumsy and slow, and I feel I've given it more than a fair shake at this point with probably an equal amount of time invested into both.

The grind to a coptering weapon was out of my reach when I first played warframe back when it was first released on steam. (if it even was a thing then?) But seriously I think you are making this a bigger deal than it really is.

Roll then slide then roll again, bullet jumping will slow you down to a pre-determined speed. If you wanna move fast you pretty much avoid bullet jumping at all costs. And the running bosses to kill for a CHANCE at a singular rare resource is incredibly boring and led to me almost quitting last year when I picked the game up again.

It probably is just a difference of taste since a lot of loot grind games are all about running the same boss over and over and over, but I find grabbing an ignis and destroying all containers and opening all lockers and exploring nooks and crannies in a simple exterm is much more fun and rewarding and can even come away with multiple rare resources and more common. Ceres with orokin cells I would do that and come out with 3-10 of the things. Rare resources have their own containers now too and can drop more than 1 if you are lucky. Ayatan stars are another thing which is free endo and pretty much replaced what fusion cores were in worth.

Point I'm trying to make is, slow down and enjoy the massacre and looting. There is a lot there if you look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Arthe Xavier posted:

I’d say it’s worth a shot. Despite how much we complain it’s usually out of love.
You can get fully endgame capable in a few weeks without paying money so you probably aren’t too far out of reach and a lot of the game’s learning curve is figuring out what mods go best in what weapons and how to make your hands to the movement commands on reflex so if you’re willing to grind out a few good weapons and some mastery levels you’ll be fine.