Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

So did they ever solve that problem of if everyone used bitcoin you'd have to download multiple terabytes of data every time you wanted to buy a candy bar?

Don't think so. I can't wait until it takes like a day.

I miss the stories of (classic) bitcoin scams like butterfly labs or that mining farm that burned down in some 3rd world jungle because all the computers cooked off in non server room conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I got $2k in real world money out of dogecoin I mined years ago for half an hour using free aws credit bc I thought the meme was funny OP

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My parents will wind up murdered because of bitcoin by the end of the year.

Just you wait; this cryptocurrency is out for blood.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

emoji posted:

I got $2k in real world money out of dogecoin I mined years ago for half an hour using free aws credit bc I thought the meme was funny OP

Still easily the funniest thing to come out of this whole thing.

https://i.imgur.com/Hzea1LJ.mp4

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Screw you op, I'm buying Enron stock. It's due for a comeback!

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
every time i see how much these things are worth i feel bad for not jumping the last time i saw the price. at this point im not even interested in making money with bitcoin, i just want to see the bitcoin millionaires lose everything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Good luck getting anyone to give you $6000 for one Bitcoin though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Monos Bullet posted:

every time i see how much these things are worth i feel bad for not jumping the last time i saw the price. at this point im not even interested in making money with bitcoin, i just want to see the bitcoin millionaires lose everything.

They've already lost everything because they sold everything for non-redeemable cosbycoins.

Everything else is just them in denial of the fact they're never going to be able to cash out.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's worth nothing to me though

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Are wallets still shutting down and stealing everyone's coins?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've only encountered one person with any sizeable amount of bitcoin as an investment and they're pulling it out in chunks just fine. He's capped at 10k a day in trading, but he's still getting his funds out.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Dolphin posted:

It's worth nothing to me though

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I mined dogecoin till my graphics cards literally burst into flames, I have like 40 cents worth. Hmm, maybe more by now. I should check.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that kid who literally fried his brain mining bitcoin was a bit sad but also funny

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jose posted:

that kid who literally fried his brain mining bitcoin was a bit sad but also funny

Is mining something you have to do actively? I thought it was just a set it up and wait for your computer to catch fire sort of thing.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is mining something you have to do actively? I thought it was just a set it up and wait for your computer to catch fire sort of thing.

i think he got heatstroke from all the mining rigs in his basement. maybe. if this hasn't actually happened it will at some point

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

i think he got heatstroke from all the mining rigs in his basement. maybe. if this hasn't actually happened it will at some point

yeah i think he had some ridiculous setup in his bedroom and was also sitting in there on his pc. it got so hot from all of the graphics cards doing mining that he passed out with heatstroke and ended up with minor but irreparable brain damage lmao

E: here it is

quote:

“Hi, I’m the person who posted that message. I originally posted it on 4chan’s technology board (/g/), though apparently someone took a screenshot and it’s been reposted quite a lot on other sites. I don’t feel like doing an interview, but here are some more details in case you’re wondering: I started Bitcoin mining quite a while ago. I already had a decent build with 2 5850s in crossfire that I used for gaming. After mining for a while, I earned enough money to buy more mining hardware from Newegg and Amazon. In the end, I had a total of 4 PCs with 2 5850s in each of them, except for 1 of them, which had 3 5850s. I won’t bother listing all the specs, since they’re nothing special aside from the 5850s. I overclocked the core clocks of the 5850s to squeeze a little more performance out of them, and underclocked the video ram in order to reduce heat. I had them running at 100% fan speed to try and cool them off a little better, but they still got pretty hot anyway. I’m a freshman in college and unfortunately still live with my parents (living in a dorm is too expensive), so I don’t really have any other place to put my PCs except in my own room. So I kept all 4 machines in my bedroom, which is not very big. So they were pretty close to my bed.My parents’ house doesn’t have central heating/AC, but instead we have window AC units that we install in the summer, and space heaters for the winter.

However, I procrastinated and didn’t install the AC unit in my room because it wasn’t too hot yet. They are big, bulky, and heavy, so I didn’t want to do it until I absolutely had to. But, being the summer, it did eventually get hotter. Faster than I had anticipated.One day, when I was sleeping (yes, I sometimes sleep in the day due to being up very late at night/early in the morning), it got very hot. And I still didn’t have the AC unit installed in my room, and my 4 mining rigs were still mining bitcoins (I left them on 24/7), generating lots of heat. It was extremely hot. I eventually woke up due to the heat, but it was already too late. I had a terrible heat stroke, and it was quite frightening and disorienting. I not only felt physically terrible, having trouble breathing and terrible nausea, but I was also mentally and emotionally confused and saw all sorts of unpleasant hallucinations (but after doing some googling, apparently that’s normal for people who have heat strokes).

I eventually staggered out of my room, which took quite a lot of effort, and my parents saw that I wasn’t doing too well and then realized I needed medical attention. They rushed me to the ER, and at this point I was barely conscious so I don’t remember everything, but they put bags of ice on me and made me drink tons of liquids. I have no idea how long it lasted, because every second felt like an hour. It was terrible. After I was in a stable condition, they did some general check-up stuff to make sure that I didn’t have any organ damage or something, and I told them that my head felt awful, so they did either a CT scan or MRI scan (I forget which is which, but it was some scan or another of my head), and said I basically had minor brain damage (they used a fancier term for it, but I forgot exactly what it was… but it was basically just minor permanent brain damage). I don’t notice much of a difference in my ability to think… it’s not as if I’m mentally retarded or anything now, but even so, no brain damage is good.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 24, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They should build mining rigs in Alaska where it's cold! The Great Alaska Bitcoin Pipeline!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My favorite is the dried out fruit

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I'll pay 20 bucks for all the bitcoins you have, as a gag gift for my girlfriend. It's her birthday next month and she really likes funny pointless poo poo..

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I sat in on an interesting seminar about the South Sea Trading company (not through choice I might add) and the dude had this graphic comparing it to Bitcoin...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sea_Company

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've only encountered one person with any sizeable amount of bitcoin as an investment and they're pulling it out in chunks just fine. He's capped at 10k a day in trading, but he's still getting his funds out.

Why's he pulling it out? Bitcoin only goes up!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's cool, any day this poo poo will crash.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

its not a good investment for cashing out purposes but if youll want to buy drugs in 6 months you can buy the bitcoins today and youll be able to buy a lot more drugs in 6 months than if you waited and bought them with cash

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is there a way to cash out at their nominal value that isn't shady as hell and like as not to take the bitcoins and run?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Is there a way to cash out at their nominal value that isn't shady as hell and like as not to take the bitcoins and run?

there are many exchanges now that will let you easily cash out at least a few hundred to a few grand per week straight to your bank account just like cashing out your paypal account but if you really need to trade for cash because your bitcoins are drug money or because you don't want to pay taxes or you ahve millions of dollars worth youll have to find a guy on localbitcoins who probably won't murder or rob you but you can't totally rule it out

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

If you can find another like minded retard you can cash out in one fell swoop, but I guess these opportunities are few and far between.

Good luck convincing the Government that you want to pay the ~£2m in stamp duty in Bitcoin though.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Bitcoin keeps going up for the same reason the stock market keeps going up. It's a bubble that will inevitably burst.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
I have nothing to do with bitcoin but I love how you all have been objectively wrong about it for over half a decade now.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Bitcoin keeps going up for the same reason the stock market keeps going up. It's a bubble that will inevitably burst.

its true but that doesnt change the fact that all of us could be posting from kiddie pools full of cocaine right now if we'd bought $100 worth of bitcoin instead of deriding it back in 2011

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

poverty goat posted:

its true but that doesnt change the fact that all of us could be posting from kiddie pools full of cocaine right now if we'd bought $100 worth of bitcoin instead of deriding it back in 2011

I definitely would have misplaced it somehow so whatever I ain't buggin

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'd rather live in a homeless shelter than buy bitcoin

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
lmao

Sounds like you guys should definitely get in to bitcoins and NOT contribute to your 401k

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

how was buying computer equipment and electricity to mine supposed to give bitcoin inherent value?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Chief McHeath posted:

More like

Buttcoin

:vince:

Whoa, about time we closed this thread and topic in general forever folks.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Shitcoin

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good luck getting anyone to give you $6000 for one Bitcoin though.

??? Just go to coinbase or something and sell it for real money. Cashing out one or two bitcoins is easy, its the people who think they are going to cash out hundreds that are going to have trouble.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Stealthgerbil posted:

??? Just go to coinbase or something and sell it for real money. Cashing out one or two bitcoins is easy, its the people who think they are going to cash out hundreds that are going to have trouble.

I don't understand why people are so transparently mad about it and so insistent on spreading lies. It's almost as if they're really bitter they missed out on the one get-rich-quick scheme that ever paid out

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

i thought about setting up a scam to steal peoples bitcoins...who would stop me? nobody, thats who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
How many Stones of Jordan will a bitcoin buy? I have a ww barb and need that extra dps.