Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

grimcreaper posted:

Coming from the guy with a furry bestiality comic avatar AND name.

Also your wrong. Pacific rim was loving amazing.

Now we know where Derek's spare apostrophe came from.

e: cat

Mr Fronts fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
C & C fmvs were the best.

Kane Lives!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be killin nazis during citcon

and maybe playing wolf2

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm going to be waiting for or on a 25 hour plane journey :smith:

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

TheAgent posted:

and maybe playing wolf2

I've got my CitCon all worked out. Gonna have a split screen with CIG Twitch on one side, Goon Discord on the other side and Mario Odyssey on the ol' switch. Friday's gonna be real good.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

tuo posted:

I sense a new partnership for CIG coming up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQsc14gDPbk&t=200s

Never in a million years. That would mean CIG would be selling their space ships for less than they're worth! Remember, every one of these concepts that comes out represents thousands of hours of work...

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Natron posted:

I've got my CitCon all worked out. Gonna have a split screen with CIG Twitch on one side, Goon Discord on the other side and Mario Odyssey on the ol' switch. Friday's gonna be real good.

How doth thou get access to the Goon discord btw? I think that'd be fun to spend CitCon on.

edit - Or is it Dsmart's discord that's the goon discord?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Never in a million years. That would mean CIG would be selling their space ships for less than they're worth! Remember, every one of these concepts that comes out represents thousands of hours of work...

CIG would have a base price of TOO MUCH FOR A DUMB JPEG and a special WHAT THE gently caress WHY WOULD ANYONE PAY THIS MUCH FOR A DUMB JPEG for people like Cymelion

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

IcarusUpHigh posted:

How doth thou get access to the Goon discord btw? I think that'd be fun to spend CitCon on.

edit - Or is it Dsmart's discord that's the goon discord?

It's just the regular ol' DSmart discord. I'm also on the Nintendo goon one, but that won't be nearly as funny on Friday.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

On that note, how do I get into the Dsmart channel? Is there info on his website on how to apply?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Black Pants posted:

Excuse me Command & Conquer and Red Alert are a million times better for their silly live-action FMVs.

You get to live.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ahhhh... the good ole days when CIG was good at developing games.

Reason #1278 why Big Bang Theory sucks.

Just figured we needed a good primer for this Friday.

Also because gently caress Citizencon i'll be playing the new Wolfenstein, the 3rd game in the new series, all of which were developed, tested, and released in less time than Star Citizen.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Toops posted:

I mean just try to imagine what needs to happen just at the network packet-level when a theoretical Idris warps into the middle of a dogfight in a field of asteroids with 20 people on board all running around interacting with the ship and its objects, turrets rotating and firing physics objects while accelerating, 100 pieces of cargo with diiverse contents, snub fighters, a wing of 3 other ships which each have crew, cargo, all firing lazers/missiles/torpedoes/chainguns, doing damage, taking damage, all moving into and out of nested physics grids.. Imagine being that game server. I mean, it's loving laughably infeasible. It's hilariously ignorant and at the same time shockingly psychotic to even imply the poo poo Chris Roberts has unflinchingly committed to right in the face of the full weight of modern computational reality. But hey guys! HUNDREDS of people per server! seamless transitions! No loading screens!

CIG on the whole has proven themselves to be a dead organization, stuck in concrete, unable to deliver even mildly interesting fully faked bullshot presentations showing the tiniest incomplete slice of the scenario I just described. I can't really understand how CIG even exists at all, so perfect is their incompetence.

IT'S EASY AND IT'S LIKE THIS

*waves hand coke-fiendishly*

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Thoatse posted:

If it were Chris Roberts book there would be whaling and gnashing of teat

You post beautifully

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

reverend crabhands posted:

Sometimes I just put it on and watch the action scenes. :3:

Really it's all about the Jaegers, the ones in PR1 made it, in PR2 they are looking a bit by the numbers.

I am hoping for a British built Jaeger this time!

A bit?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Bumblebee? More like Bastion

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

tuo posted:

I sense a new partnership for CIG coming up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQsc14gDPbk&t=200s

Haha, just saw this and thought of this thread. Mind you, if the backers found out that prices were being changed based on buyer's habits they'd throw an absolute poo poo-fit.

TheAgent posted:

and maybe playing wolf2

So much for the tolerant left! :colbert:

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

IcarusUpHigh posted:

On that note, how do I get into the Dsmart channel? Is there info on his website on how to apply?

Just go here, friend.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773236

All of your questions will be answered.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

3.0h patch notes
https://pastebin.com/RHstryP4

Glad to see they got doors working on the Caterpillar.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Colostomy Bag posted:

3.0h patch notes

That reminds me, remember when the caterpillar doors wouldn't open or close unless a player was looking at them?
Good times.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

That reminds me, remember when the caterpillar doors wouldn't open or close unless a player was looking at them?
Good times.

4 days until it drops, they must be poli...

quote:

The last patch, 3.0.0g, increased the FPS by a huge amount (from 3x to 5x), however, the game keeps CTD'ing (crash) constantly. Since this patch just came out, we don't have any data yet on 3.0.0h

....shing.

Edit: wait...what? "Mustang series should now have proper redout/blackout animations".

We gots gravity on board ships, but we can't handle gravity on fighters? Why not use drones in a nice shirt-sleeve environment with gravity and ignore the fleshy meat paste that needs air and not squishing.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 24, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Colostomy Bag posted:

3.0h patch notes

quote:

Medpens should no longer have an "inspect" option

First, they took away the ability to throw medpens. Now, we can't even inspect them. Are they even going to be usable by the time they're done? Medpens are decorative items only.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Latin Pheonix posted:

So much for the tolerant left! :colbert:

You're just Stalin for time.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

But Star Citizen 2.6 already crashes constantly. We're going to need to invent superlatives above and beyond 'crashes constantly' to describe how much 3.0 crashes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I like the fact there are two "bug fixes" categories.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

3.0h patch notes

"The last patch, 3.0.0g, increased the FPS by a huge amount (from 3x to 5x), however, the game keeps CTD'ing "

It's always, always, one step forward and two steps back (at least) with this bleeding company.

Hav posted:

You're just Stalin for time.

Well there's no use Russian me, then! :j:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I thought there was no scope creep because the stretch goals stopped years ago, but now there's an $850 base building ship? That's not scope creep that's a scope explosion.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
base building was always a part of the original vision

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
buy meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I continue to shriek on the web of crobbos lies

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hav posted:

....shing.

Edit: wait...what? "Mustang series should now have proper redout/blackout animations".

We gots gravity on board ships, but we can't handle gravity on fighters? Why not use drones in a nice shirt-sleeve environment with gravity and ignore the fleshy meat paste that needs air and not squishing.

Well to be fair, if your game only runs for 0.01s before it CTDs and shows one frame during that time, it technically ran at 100fps

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Natron posted:

Just go here, friend.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773236

All of your questions will be answered.

Thanks dude :)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Latin Pheonix posted:

"The last patch, 3.0.0g, increased the FPS by a huge amount (from 3x to 5x), however, the game keeps CTD'ing "

It's always, always, one step forward and two steps back (at least) with this bleeding company.

"Crashing With Fidelity"™

Star Citizen: now crashing to desktop at higher frames-per-second

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
I love how they're deliberately vague just to gently caress with backers. Theres literally no other reason to say it like that.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Let me guess, they decoupled client fps from server ticks to boost it but now physics get completely out of sync and it crashes the client. It's one or the other with ScamEngine!

There is literally no other explanation of getting a 3x-5x boost with one patch. It will also backfire horribly down the line to just do it like this, without first introducing an extensive networking redesign of the engine.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 24, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Dynamic pricing works for mobile games because it's a personal experience; you don't really spend much time talking with your friends about how you paid $X while they paid $Y for a micro-transaction. The risk of exposure is too great when you look at big-ticket items like spaceships coupled with a high level of social media; all it would take is one post on Reddit for the entire community to see that CIG was blatantly exploiting their customers and changing the prices dynamically. The moment you see that is the moment that the actual value of this stuff is revealed; nothing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hey, remember that time when the VP of Marketing had a conversation with a customer that made her look so bad that an entire community started to defend her and act like she was being persecuted? And in doing so they ignored hilariously egregious statements like how, if the game was delivered at the original scope, it would have been a "poo poo game"?

Fun times.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rad Russian posted:

Let me guess, they decoupled client fps from server ticks to boost it but now physics get completely out of sync and it crashes the client. It's one or the other with ScamEngine!

There is literally no other explanation of getting a 3x-5x boost with one patch. It will also backfire horribly down the line to just do it like this, without first introducing an extensive networking redesign of the engine.

I'm thinking when he wrote that he was the only one on the server at the time.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

quote:

quote:
The last patch, 3.0.0g, increased the FPS by a huge amount (from 3x to 5x), however, the game keeps CTD'ing (crash) constantly. Since this patch just came out, we don't have any data yet on 3.0.0h

....shing.

Message for Hav from a goon in the Evocati Test Flight.
fps boost leak is poo poo End of Message.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm thinking when he wrote that he was the only one on the server playing Star Citizen at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Cast Iron Taxxe: