Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lock your children in a closet until they become a wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Grounding them because you don't like their boyfriend is in purity ball territory tho.

Though this had nothing to do with original point which was having a list of acceptable qualities for dating your daughter is weird.

The example I used was 45 year old investment banker. Is that honestly something you'd be alright with?

Acceptable qualities: not 45.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

U-DO Burger posted:

Before my kids date I'm going to have them read 5000 pages of E/N

Now that's good parenting.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

The example I used was 45 year old investment banker. Is that honestly something you'd be alright with?

Acceptable qualities: not 45.

Most dads have nothing in common with their daughter's boyfriends. At least your daughter's 45 year old boyfriend would get your Thundercats references.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Most dads have nothing in common with their daughter's boyfriends. At least your daughter's 45 year old boyfriend would get your Thundercats references.

"Man, I remember watching Robotech as a kid and loved the---"
"I'm sorry, what did you say?"
"Robotech. I remember--"
*slams down silverware on plate*
"It's called Macross! Get the hell out of my house and stay the hell away from my daughter, you sonuva bitch!"

edit:
Actually, a large section of the late 70s-late 90s era of anime dubs in the US probably didn't age well for a lot of reasons. Whether you want to chalk it up to voice acting issues or just the general localization issues that did any sort of alterations to the original source material, but probably those changes make them unappealing to modern US fandom audiences. Ironically, those changes were likely done to make them more accessible to US audiences at the time of their release in the first place.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Oct 24, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Carl Macek gets slagged off a lot by anime fans but he had an important role in bringing anime to America.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
im a cool dad, I let my 13 year old daughter date a convict.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Macek Did Nothing Wrong

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Macek seemed to be treated by the fandom pretty poorly in the 90s, but I'm wondering how much of that is the result of a fandom echo chamber and the increasing availability of unedited anime in the form of fansubbers, tape traders and commercial releases during that time. As those sources became more widespread, I can see folks feeling like the Macek-edits were at best foolish and at worst disrespectful to the creators, the audience and the properties.

But I almost think we'll never see another era of the 70s-90s of major changes in plots, character names and even show titles like we did back then for localization purposes.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Macek seemed to be treated by the fandom pretty poorly in the 90s, but I'm wondering how much of that is the result of a fandom echo chamber and the increasing availability of unedited anime in the form of fansubbers, tape traders and commercial releases during that time. As those sources became more widespread, I can see folks feeling like the Macek-edits were at best foolish and at worst disrespectful to the creators, the audience and the properties.

But I almost think we'll never see another era of the 70s-90s of major changes in plots, character names and even show titles like we did back then for localization purposes.

It's a good thing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Not saying I want that to return, either, so my last paragraph was likely a poor choice of words.

Was there ever a similar reaction for the Power Rangers show fandoms over the years? I can see the argument that people who grew attached to the MMPR franchises over the years gradually grew to accept the US Footage/Japanese Footage stuff as charm of the show, but I don't think I've seen the same level of demand for original source material releases like with anime.

Was there some point where they just made the Non-Japanese Power Rangers shows almost wholly new Western productions rather than a mix of Japanese and non-Japanese material?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think at one point they were recording extra footage in Japan to explicitly be used for the American shows.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Not saying I want that to return, either, so my last paragraph was likely a poor choice of words.

Was there ever a similar reaction for the Power Rangers show fandoms over the years? I can see the argument that people who grew attached to the MMPR franchises over the years gradually grew to accept the US Footage/Japanese Footage stuff as charm of the show, but I don't think I've seen the same level of demand for original source material releases like with anime.

Was there some point where they just made the Non-Japanese Power Rangers shows almost wholly new Western productions rather than a mix of Japanese and non-Japanese material?

See "Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog." Lasted one season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JagdvYY93OA

That said, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers did wind up getting a Japanese Dub, and if I recall correctly, they had the woman who played Witch Bandora (The original character in Zyuranger) do the dub voice for Rita Repulsa.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I was never into Power Rangers but I loved that show.

There was also Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills which was produced entirely in America.

As for Macek, I've not really seen a lot of Robotech, but I'm fascinated by how he took three completely different cartoons and cobbled them together into a single programme with an overarching plot. He had the idea that it would be a 365-episode story with a circular structure, so that the last episode would lead into the first one, though obviously he never got that far.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

maltesh posted:

That said, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers did wind up getting a Japanese Dub, and if I recall correctly, they had the woman who played Witch Bandora (The original character in Zyuranger) do the dub voice for Rita Repulsa.

Guy in that trailer once bought a boat off my dad.

My one brush with fame.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Speaking of boats, multiple powers ranger have committed homicide, and one of them did it by tying an elderly couple to an anchor and throwing it overboard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Volcott posted:

Speaking of boats, multiple powers ranger have committed homicide, and one of them did it by tying an elderly couple to an anchor and throwing it overboard.
Go go drowning rangers
Mighty murderin' drowning rangers

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Volcott posted:

That's like Bluto levels of dastardly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

maltesh posted:

I barely remember anything from that show despite watching most of it, but you better believe the theme song stuck with me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9qvcXFEyo

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Lol if you didn't prefer Big Bad Beetleborgs

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

zakharov posted:

Lol if you didn't prefer Big Bad Beetleborgs

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Volcott posted:

Being TV stars, they should know that kind of plot is solved in about half a minute.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

Being TV stars, they should know that kind of plot is solved in about half a minute.

Sea Patrol got him for littering.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

maltesh posted:

Lol the intersection of the sentai fad and the River Dance fad didn't have staying power it seems.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think the power rangers even showed up in a giant sentai cross-over episode which also had the kyruuanger squad in it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The main reason Robotech gets hate today is that Harmony Gold is squatting on the rights and preventing a bunch of Macross related stuff from getting brought over officially.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Was Superhuman Samurai Cyber Squad a mix of US and Japanese footage? If so, the US version used the Japanese stuff pretty sparingly

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

The main reason Robotech gets hate today is that Harmony Gold is squatting on the rights and preventing a bunch of Macross related stuff from getting brought over officially.

Fun fact: Harmony Gold is a real-estate company that just happened to dabble in anime one time.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

maltesh posted:

The only reason I remember this show is because I had this awesome giant dragon toy from it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I hate to spoil the fun, but I looked it up and the guy who did the anchor murdering was not any of the Power Rangers. He, as a child, had a non-speaking role in a single episode of Power Rangers.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Olive! posted:

I hate to spoil the fun, but I looked it up and the guy who did the anchor murdering was not any of the Power Rangers. He, as a child, had a non-speaking role in a single episode of Power Rangers.

It's a better story the way I told it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It just means the power rangers kill virus can affect through second hand contact. Any of us who watched it as kids are hosed.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Olive! posted:

The lead of the Wild Force season killed his roommate with a sword though.

Anyway the most 90's show in that genre had to be VR Troopers, that was bad even back then.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Perestroika posted:

I barely remember anything from that show despite watching most of it, but you better believe the theme song stuck with me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9qvcXFEyo

I remember very little about the show myself, being pretty far out of the demographic at the time... but I've never heard that version of the theme. It's definitely catchier than the theme I recall from Fox Kids. Was it used outside of the US, or something?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was never into Power Rangers but I loved that show.

There was also Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills which was produced entirely in America.

As for Macek, I've not really seen a lot of Robotech, but I'm fascinated by how he took three completely different cartoons and cobbled them together into a single programme with an overarching plot. He had the idea that it would be a 365-episode story with a circular structure, so that the last episode would lead into the first one, though obviously he never got that far.

Anime getting PoMo as gently caress.

Volcott posted:

Fun fact: Harmony Gold is a real-estate company that just happened to dabble in anime one time.

Now it's turning tricks in seedy flophouses just to cover one final score of an early 90s dbz vhs with poor tracking and after that they're going legit, gonna straighten up and fly right.

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Oct 25, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm not sure where else to put this but I recently started showing my 6 year old kid the original Ultraman 1967 TV show and he loving eats that poo poo up so I'd put that in the "aged well" category.

Jesus Christ, he loving loves it and YouTube's it to death. I have fun watching it since I haven't seen these things in years, they take me back and what once used to scare me now just cracks me up.

Ultraman owns.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think people wouldn't get quite so steamed about heavy dub alterations if it didn't seemingly set the precedent for 4kids down the line.

It was weird given 4kids was producing their own cartoons that really pushed the limits (the 2000s TMNT series got one episode outright banned for having a guy's cloned body gradually dissolving as he went insane) at the same time as trying to make One Piece suitable for 8 year olds. And sticking random terrible accents all over the place. Those weren't so much ageing poorly as a bad idea from conception. (IIRC, it was apparently how they basically destroyed One Piece as a potential major Western franchise that led to 4kids getting completely blacklisted by anime producers)

Trying to get back vaguely on topic... you'd think bad accents and obviously fake and outright bizarrely outdated national stereotypes would have gotten old, but Two Broke Girls.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

maltesh posted:

I remember very little about the show myself, being pretty far out of the demographic at the time... but I've never heard that version of the theme. It's definitely catchier than the theme I recall from Fox Kids. Was it used outside of the US, or something?

I'm reasonably sure it was used as the theme in Germany, at least, so yeah. Might have been spurred by the Kelly Family being better known/more popular over here at the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The dub talk reminds me of a really weird decision made when Fox got the rights to Escaflowne. They didn't air the first episode and instead started it on the second with just a recap of the first. Which was really stupid since the first episode sets up the entire plot of the show but it didn't have the titular armor so, gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Wheat Loaf posted:

Carl Macek gets slagged off a lot by anime fans but he had an important role in bringing anime to America.
Who else had an important role in bringing anime to the us?

Just curious. Not compiling a death list.