Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I just had the best dim sum EVER at a place called Hong Kong Lounge 2 in the Richmond. Waited 2 hours for the pleasure but it was so worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bay Area goons, https://sf.eater.com/2017/6/20/15836106/wurst-hall-kenji-lopez-alt-san-mateo-restaurant, Kenji's opening a restaurant in San Mateo. Exciting if you like good food or follow him on serious eats, or both I guess :).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
gently caress YES it's German/Austrian pub food in partnership with craft brewers. 30 taps...

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Carillon posted:

Bay Area goons, https://sf.eater.com/2017/6/20/15836106/wurst-hall-kenji-lopez-alt-san-mateo-restaurant, Kenji's opening a restaurant in San Mateo. Exciting if you like good food or follow him on serious eats, or both I guess :).

So excited about this. I'm hoping he runs experiments out of his restaurant.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Pizzahacker makes bloody good pizza. The crust is superb. Then the royal cuckoo organ lounge is 2 minutes down the street for top notch cocktails and live music.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
Found a really good Somali place in South San Jose, at the Ohlone-Chynoweth light rail station.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/jubba-restaurant-san-jose

Clearly a little family place, but very tasty food. Kay kay is fantastic and I'd never heard of it: chopped chappati, beef, banana, veggies, tea leaves and spices. If you're down in south San Jose, or feel like riding light rail to a restaurant, highly recommended. The family running it is Muslim, so no drinks, but it is halal if that's important to you.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ranter posted:

Rasa is modern Indian with a Michelin star and isn't off the charts expensive.

I went here tonight. It was pretty good, but I don't really understand why it has a Michelin star. Like, if this is Michelin star, why is Dosa "bib gourmand?" Given the criteria for bib gourmand seems to be primarily around price, if anything I would expect the inverse.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well tastes vary and Michelin is a blackbox anyways, so who really knows. That said I've been a few times and I thought the fish I had there was amazing, and the shrimp malabar was exquisite. I've certainly had worse food at other Michelin spots and to me it's higher than just a bib.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yi Yuan sichuan on el camino in Millbrae is really loving good. Their Pea shoots with garlic is like crack, and they know it's like crack because they charge $12 for loving pea shoots, but god drat.

They're 'Michelin guide mentioned' 2 years in a row now and I would really recommend it. Service is pretty slow because the servers are constantly going back into the kitchen to help cook. But drat tasty food.

They also pull their own noodles.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Toe Rag posted:

I went here tonight. It was pretty good, but I don't really understand why it has a Michelin star. Like, if this is Michelin star, why is Dosa "bib gourmand?" Given the criteria for bib gourmand seems to be primarily around price, if anything I would expect the inverse.

I think the dosas at Rasa are 5-10% better than say Udupi Palace or Vik's Chaat. You're paying a large premium for a fairly small but IMO noticeable improvement (I haven't been back to Dosa since I ordered their truffle oil utthapam)

Bib Gourmand IIRC requires both a certain level of quality under a certain price threshold. There's a separate designation just for inexpensive food

2nding Yi Yuan; those who don't want to travel there should also check out Chili House on Clement St

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Bumping this thread, I'll be in SF this Saturday around noon for a real escape game. What are some good places to eat an early dinner for a large party 8+ with a cost per person around $20 to $30?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Where in the city?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

Where in the city?

I'll be near Polk and Jackson. Possibly up to 9 people total so larger places would be easier to find a table at.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Helmand Palace is a truly excellent (at least to my extremely not-from-there palate) Afghani restaurant only a few blocks up 101 from there, and they're within your price range. They can definitely seat large parties, though you may want to call ahead anyway.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 25, 2017

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

OGS-Remix posted:

Bumping this thread, I'll be in SF this Saturday around noon for a real escape game. What are some good places to eat an early dinner for a large party 8+ with a cost per person around $20 to $30?

House of Prime Rib.
Z and Y
R and G

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Good luck getting a rez for 9 at HoPR on short notice? Or it a really large group easier? My reservation for 2 required about 2 months lead time.

Z & Y's online reservation system isn't working either (tried that too, recently) but the phone worked pretty well. Again, get that poo poo booked early Z & Y is popular.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. People wanted to go upscale instead so we're trying to get a table or two at Mourad now. :10bux:

Also on that note, here's the new Michelin list for the Bay Area:

https://sf.eater.com/2017/10/25/16537724/michelin-restaurants-san-francisco-stars-2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Good to see Octavia got its star back. Californios was balls to the wall amazing and I figured it was going to get the second star. Glad I did the tasting and pairing menu 6 months ago.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
If you ever feel like reserving a cozy table and investing in a hearty meal, I recommend Seven Hills over at 1550 Hyde Street. Really nice team over there!

Also, it took us hitting the Redwood City location, but I am really glad that Ike's Sandwiches exists. That Barry B. sandwich was hella tasty.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I had a baguette from Jane, and it was excellent.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
mensho ramen is completely overrated. If you want to wait an hour for soft overcooked noodles and chashu that disintegrates because its so overcooked then be my guest.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranter posted:

mensho ramen is completely overrated. If you want to wait an hour for soft overcooked noodles and chashu that disintegrates because its so overcooked then be my guest.

Agreed; IMO Nojo and Hinodeya are miles better

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
On the flip side, I had my first 'Vietnamese 7 course beef' experience in the tenderloin and holy poo poo I had no idea this style of Vietnamese food existed. Making your own spring rolls is awesome, easy and delicious. I also really enjoyed getting the deep fried egg rolls wrapped in thin rice vermicelli, then wrapping those in lettuce leaves with herbs. The contrasting textures (deep fried crunch, hot inside, cooling lettuce outside, soft noodles) make it a must try.

Anh Hong 808 Geary is the place I went to.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For my fellow goons here, Groupon's running a decent little promotion if you're interested in checking out Izzy's, dinner for 2 for 72 bucks. https://www.groupon.com/deals/izzy-s-steaks-and-chops-san-fran

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ranter posted:

On the flip side, I had my first 'Vietnamese 7 course beef' experience in the tenderloin and holy poo poo I had no idea this style of Vietnamese food existed. Making your own spring rolls is awesome, easy and delicious. I also really enjoyed getting the deep fried egg rolls wrapped in thin rice vermicelli, then wrapping those in lettuce leaves with herbs. The contrasting textures (deep fried crunch, hot inside, cooling lettuce outside, soft noodles) make it a must try.

Anh Hong 808 Geary is the place I went to.

That place has been around for forever and a day. It's a family owned business and the food is amazing.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Carillon posted:

For my fellow goons here, Groupon's running a decent little promotion if you're interested in checking out Izzy's, dinner for 2 for 72 bucks. https://www.groupon.com/deals/izzy-s-steaks-and-chops-san-fran

Thanks for sharing this; I used to work right next to the San Carlos location (by the SC airport) but never went. This is a good excuse to give it a shot. Others, note that this Groupon is only for the San Francisco location; there's a separate one for San Carlos: https://www.groupon.com/deals/izzy-s-steaks-and-chops-san-carlos-2

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Capn Jobe posted:

Thanks for sharing this; I used to work right next to the San Carlos location (by the SC airport) but never went. This is a good excuse to give it a shot. Others, note that this Groupon is only for the San Francisco location; there's a separate one for San Carlos: https://www.groupon.com/deals/izzy-s-steaks-and-chops-san-carlos-2

I'm actually going to the SC one on Wednesday so can report back as well. I've only ever been to the SF one before, so excited to see how they compare.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thread, please throw your hot pot suggestions at me. I live on the Peninsula and know a lot about whats down here but I spend time in the mission and there's nothing there as far as I know. Chinese, Japanese, fusion, whatever, throw suggestions at me. Just don't suggest outer sunset unless it's AMAZING. And I've been to Shabu House everywhere.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Carillon posted:

Thank you so much for this. My husband and I love the Izzy's in San Carlos, and we desperately needed a night out.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you so much for this. My husband and I love the Izzy's in San Carlos, and we desperately needed a night out.

Absolutely! It was a great little deal so figured I ought to share. I got their filet mignon, a cut I rarely get, and it was delicious.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Hey folks,

I recently moved to the Bay Area from San Diego, and I just posted about some good BBQ places in the San Diego LAN thread. Is there good BBQ in the Bay Area?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
My wife and I enjoy Sam’s in San Jose.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bodhidharma posted:

Hey folks,

I recently moved to the Bay Area from San Diego, and I just posted about some good BBQ places in the San Diego LAN thread. Is there good BBQ in the Bay Area?

Carmen's in Hayward is good. Avoid Everett and Jones (their quality went to poo poo after their matriarch died. Carmen is like 95 years old and still sits there watching everyone in the restaurant).

I'm also still open to hot pot suggestions. I found a neat place in south bay that does hot pot AND korean BBQ grill, all you can eat, sauce/dip/condiment bar and you order off ipads that's pretty awesome.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 3, 2018

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Gorilla BBQ in Pacifica is the best I've had in the Bay.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

These two places have the same owner and both are really good:
South Winchester BBQ - San Jose
Trail Dust BBQ - Morgan Hill

This place has really great ribs, gets super busy when there is an event at the arena.
Henry’s World Famous Hi-Life - San Jose

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I really like the burnt ends at Sauced in Livermore

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm a fan of the brisket at Capelo's food truck.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
The other night my mother-in-law and I stumbled upon Wooden Charcoal Korean Village Barbecue House. A bit of an investment price wise, but overall we left stuffed to the gills and quite happy. Never had Korean BBQ before, but I rather liked this place.

Yelp link.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I'm going for hotpot tonight at Haidilao in Cupertino. Anyone been and have any recos?

e: lol expensive as gently caress. $230 for 5 people, gently caress

Development fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Kenji's Wursthall is worth checking out. It will take some time for them to adjust the quantities of things on the plates. The traditional pretzel is smaller than you'd expect given what you're paying but the obatzda was on point. The sausages were really decent but under seasoned.. Sauerkraut was 'meh'; like I couldn't tell that it was fermented or pickled at all. Beer selection is pretty great. Potato salad was really good. I will go back and try the schnitzel sandwich and vegan doner kebap.