Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I love how the bad guys in Hard Boiled as the hospital scene is wrapping up aren't just normal bad guy evil, they're fire automatic weapons at unarmed rescue workers climbing out of a burning building with infants in their arms evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean Hard Boiled has the hospital shootout, in which Chow Yun-Fat mercs like 50 dudes while holding a baby

While singing a lullaby! And bleeding from a gunshot wound! And he catches on fire and the baby pisses and puts it out!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I forgot to post in here when I went through a DTV action movie phase a month or so ago, but I'm posting now.

I rewatched the Undisputed films and still can't recommend them enough. I was always a fan of Undisputed and Undisputed II, mostly because of Ving Rhames, Wesley Snipes and Michael Jai White, but this rewatch made it finally click for me why people love Scott Adkins. Boyka is an amazing character and while I was bummed that Boyka: Undisputed breaks the gimmick of the series I was definitely happy to spend more time with the character.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxM6vsMNwXs

New trailer for Re:Born. The pen + empty pistol magazine throat shot kill... :vince:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxM6vsMNwXs

New trailer for Re:Born. The pen + empty pistol magazine throat shot kill... :vince:

gently caress yes. Death Trance was fantastic.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Stone Cold is a wonderful film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm-P3uuvCz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=259qXsdxoJY

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edgar Wright talks with Jackie Chan

http://www.talkhouse.com/edgar-wright-baby-driver-talks-with-jackie-chan-for-the-talkhouse-podcast/#.Wd9y_jQBHI8.twitter

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is there any discussion/hype at all in seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger's Killing Gunther movie?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is there any discussion/hype at all in seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger's Killing Gunther movie?

Have not heard anything about this, either pro or con.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
There have been a few ads where I live, but literally no theaters within 100 miles are showing it. :lol:

Here is the trailer. Looks like a lower budget goofy film that would just be fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROusT3QDlZ0

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I haven't even heard of it until now but the reviews seem to indicate that it's poo poo. Why are you doing this to me, Arnie?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's a fawning GQ article on Jackie Chan.

https://www.gq.com/story/jackie-chans-gq-profile-2017

That's ok. Jackie Chan deserves to be fawned over.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The absolute height of an actor in Hollywood is when they also end up directing and producing. But Jackie Chan is so accomplished and varied in his skills as a movie-maker that merely calling him a triple threat would be an insult.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

It's a good article but the bit where "He was one of hundreds. All these boys and girls at the drama school. A few of them went on to be movie actors like he did. But only Jackie has a hundred films" isn't quite right. Yuen Biao has over 100 acting credits and Sammo has more of both acting and directing credits than Jackie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

`Tis the season, and as the thread title says, yippie ki yay fellow posters!

quote:

All John McClane wants for Christmas is to reunite with his estranged family. But when his wife's office holiday party turns into a deadly hostage situation, he has to save her life before he can get home in time for Christmas! The unconventional fan-favorite movie Die Hard is now an illustrated storybook - complete with machine guns, European terrorists, and a cop who's forced to rely on all his cunning and skills (and the help of a fellow officer) to save the day. Based on Clement Moore's classic "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" and filled with whimsical illustrations, this cleverly reimagined homage is destined to become a holiday classic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is goddamn not the season.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What the gently caress, yeah, it's not even Halloween yet, gently caress off with that grocery-store poo poo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lobok got hit by that Christmas creep, happens to the best of us.

they've already got the decorations up at Home Depot, frankly it's disgusting

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you'll all please bend over I'll do my best to remove the Christmas trees I shoved up your butts. I might sing a carol while doing it, though, no promises.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Attn: Lobok and anyone else who shoves a Christmas tree up my butt

It's much easier to get it out than put it in. I'll handle it myself, on my own timetable.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 24, 2017

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Every come across a movie and wonder if it was secretly influential? I found the trailer for a movie called The Great Skycopter Rescue, which is a cheap exploitation movie about gyro-copters versus bikers. I have to wonder if George Miller ever saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjmvC-dmSTA

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SimonCat posted:

Every come across a movie and wonder if it was secretly influential?

Well, they say the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a copy of The Villainess without English subtitles and watched the opening 7 minutes or so. Holy hell, is that an achievement for most impressive opening set piece - its five minutes of a one-woman rampage all from first person and it goes hard on the gore and brutality.

Blu-Ray drops on the 21st so that’ll be fantastic.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Which, if any, of the Death Race sequels are worth watching?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Which, if any, of the Death Race sequels are worth watching?

The DTV ones based on the Statham movie? The first sequel/prequel is okay but it suffers a little from the fact that they could only get a couple of actors back and so they kind of move up in importance (nobody gives a poo poo about 14K.) The second one if kind of goofy because they very clearly didn't expect to do it so it has to walk a bunch of things back from the first one's ending.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah both Death race 2 and 3 are worth watching, both pretty decent production for a DTV luke goss movie and will entertain you if your action standards are fairly low like mine

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although it is pretty funny how Death Race 2 ends with Luke Goss' character horribly scarred and deformed and then the third movie starts with him looking kind of normal with some hand waving about how they fixed him up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

muscles like this! posted:

Although it is pretty funny how Death Race 2 ends with Luke Goss' character horribly scarred and deformed and then the third movie starts with him looking kind of normal with some hand waving about how they fixed him up.

"What did you expect, a monster?"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Now that my 31 Horror Movies in October is done I'm back to catching up on hidden DTV action gems I've missed out on. I've got Ninja Shadow of a Tear and the 12 Rounds and Never Back Down sequels on deck, then I'll check out Death Race 2 and 3.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm frustrated that Showtime Anytime is showing Universal Soldier: Day of Judgment (the one I've seen, and well worth seeing for anyone who hasn't), but not Universal Soldier: Regeneration, which I haven't had a chance to see yet. But for some reason, they do have Universal Soldier: The Return, the '90s sequel with Van Damme and Bill Goldberg.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It's great watching Regeneration and Day of Reckoning back-to-back. John Hyams tricked the producers by making a really good action film with solid themes so he could then make an absolutely trippy, batshit sequel.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Speaking of Peter Hyams, which of his father’s movies are worth watching? Sudden Death is a great Die Hard clone, and The Relic is also a solid Die Hard clone mixed with a goofy 50’s horror movie. I’m also interested in movies where the director is also the DP, you can get som great-looking poo poo from that match-up.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LesterGroans posted:

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Now that my 31 Horror Movies in October is done I'm back to catching up on hidden DTV action gems I've missed out on. I've got Ninja Shadow of a Tear and the 12 Rounds and Never Back Down sequels on deck, then I'll check out Death Race 2 and 3.

You can safely skip 12 Rounds 2 unless you really want to see Randy Orton trying to act. And if you should want that for some reason, then you should watch The Condemned 2 instead, since he apparently only gets to be in sequels that have nothing to do with the original movie.

12 Rounds 3 is pretty fun, since Dean Ambrose doesn't find it too hard to be a gruff guy and that's really his role.

The first Condemned is a hilariously mean-spirited version of Battle Royale, featuring convicts being forced to kill each other while it is being aired worldwide. You should watch it, if you haven't already.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MrBling posted:

You can safely skip 12 Rounds 2 unless you really want to see Randy Orton trying to act. And if you should want that for some reason, then you should watch The Condemned 2 instead, since he apparently only gets to be in sequels that have nothing to do with the original movie.

12 Rounds 3 is pretty fun, since Dean Ambrose doesn't find it too hard to be a gruff guy and that's really his role.

The first Condemned is a hilariously mean-spirited version of Battle Royale, featuring convicts being forced to kill each other while it is being aired worldwide. You should watch it, if you haven't already.

I read this too late and already watched 12 Rounds 2 :(

I definitely didn't hate it, but it's a lesser retread of the first 12 Rounds, which was itself a lesser remake of Die Hard with a Vengeance. I'm enjoying 12 Rounds 3 though. This Dean Ambrose guy has a goofy charm.

I have the Condemneds on my too-watch list as well.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Speaking of Peter Hyams, which of his father’s movies are worth watching? Sudden Death is a great Die Hard clone, and The Relic is also a solid Die Hard clone mixed with a goofy 50’s horror movie. I’m also interested in movies where the director is also the DP, you can get som great-looking poo poo from that match-up.

His earlier sci-fi stuff (Capricorn One, Outland, 2010) is cool. I haven't seen The Star Chamber, but I hear it's a great concept and a so-so execution. Timecop and End of Days are bonkers and worth a watch.

Avoid A Sound of Thunder at all costs.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LesterGroans posted:

I read this too late and already watched 12 Rounds 2 :(

I definitely didn't hate it, but it's a lesser retread of the first 12 Rounds, which was itself a lesser remake of Die Hard with a Vengeance. I'm enjoying 12 Rounds 3 though. This Dean Ambrose guy has a goofy charm.

I have the Condemneds on my too-watch list as well.

His earlier sci-fi stuff (Capricorn One, Outland, 2010) is cool. I haven't seen The Star Chamber, but I hear it's a great concept and a so-so execution. Timecop and End of Days are bonkers and worth a watch.

Avoid A Sound of Thunder at all costs.

12 Rounds 3 is helped a bit by not originally being part of the 12 Rounds "franchise", such as it is. It was initially just called Lockdown, with the same story of Dean Ambrose being locked in the police station with the corrupt cops. Then at some point someone apparently thought it would sell better by being called 12 Rounds 3: Lockdown despite having nothing to do with the first two movies.

Speaking of stupid WWE action movies, there's like 5 The Marine movies at this point that you could watch.
The first one stars John Cena and Robert Patrick and is full explosions.
The second stars the son of the Million Dollar Man.
Three through 5 stars The Miz and they just get increasingly more insane.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What are people's top action movies from the past 5 years? It seems like the comic bubble has kinda taken over the genre. John Wick 1&2, Fury Road, and that's really it? (Raid was 6 years ago already)

I've got to check out Killzone 2 apparently per some in this thread, but I'm hoping I've missed more, it feels like an action drought going on.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

What are people's top action movies from the past 5 years? It seems like the comic bubble has kinda taken over the genre. John Wick 1&2, Fury Road, and that's really it? (Raid was 6 years ago already)

I've got to check out Killzone 2 apparently per some in this thread, but I'm hoping I've missed more, it feels like an action drought going on.

If you liked the John Wicks, you'll probably like Atomic Blonde.

David Ayer's Sabotage and Fury are very good. I really liked both of Neill Blomkamp's Elysium and Chappie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Headshot is pretty good. It is kind of like an South Asian Bourne movie starring Iko Uwais.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

If you liked the John Wicks, you'll probably like Atomic Blonde.

David Ayer's Sabotage and Fury are very good. I really liked both of Neill Blomkamp's Elysium and Chappie.

I disliked all of these movies :(. I wanted to like Atomic Blonde but the music and horrific sound editing broke it for me. First time I've ever blamed sound editing for ruining a movie. Elysium was okay, I just didn't feel compelled to ever revisit it.

Headshot looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MI: Rogue Nation was a favourite of mine from the last five years. I can watch that movie any time.