Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flerp
Feb 25, 2014
idk if peoplein mason r scum or not and im just gonna act like theyre not in a mason bcause it doesnt rly matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

I implied nothing. I responded to Asiina revealing by saying I wasn't going to yet.

(Implying you had something to reveal)

(That's what implying means)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

Kay that makes more sense.

I also need to remind myself that others may not be as comfortable as me with name changes, particularly if they've been away for some years.

I've had the same internet name since the late 90s.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can we kill Mr.F or Flerp? I keep getting them confused in my head for some reason

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
just wait until you play w/ me and derp

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

flerp posted:

idk if peoplein mason r scum or not and im just gonna act like theyre not in a mason bcause it doesnt rly matter

I mean basically. It's no different from any other 4 people chosen at random.

Like I wouldn't even expect "mason" to be the only role some of us have. You can easily have power roles in a masonry, which if we trusted each other would have give good cover for someone to reveal results without revealing who they were, but that ship has long since sailed for us so there's really no benefit or not either way.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
flerp is this weird entity in every game I play with him where I go "ugh a useless shitposter who isn't going to contribute" and it appears that way on the surface, but then if I actually read his posts there's always content there.

But then I always forget that's true and it's like UGH FLERP IS IN THIS GAME, ANOTHER USELESS PERSON and the cycle continues.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This is all to say I read flerp earlier and feel pretty good about him. I'm with the people who have been saying it (Bif?) that Mr. F needs to actually get in here and provide some content. You did your little "I have a vig" content game...on D2. So what did you learn from it? You need to start saying things.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We should kill flerp together Asiina

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not really sorry about outing you about the masonry Inf. I've been kind of thinking you might be the scum in it for a while and I kind of wanted to talk about it today anyway but I had said in the masonry that I wasn't going to vote for anyone in it until D3.

And until the masonry itself was outed, I was doing my best to avoid making hard calls on the people in it as well. But since that's all out of the bag and I know my alignment. My guess is that you're the scum in it. Asiina is probably my biggest town read and while aC was pretty awkward D1, I'm not really thinking she is scum right now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah I really don't like the idea that we need to be assuming that there MUST be a scum in the masonry. You always assume that there could be one and take that into account for how much you wanna claim to each other, but acting like we gotta try and find a scum in there instead of just independently reading each of em like normal is kinda dodgy.

Fun story time: one of my very first Mafia games ever, I was in a masonry. It was super overpowered too cause it was the early days when Mafia had first been introduced to Auspol and people didn't know poo poo about balance yet. While all the scum and half the town were busy lurking and getting drunk, our masonry turned on each other in paranoia, and our mason inventor made me a gun so I could shoot the mason doctor.

All 4 of us were town, of course.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I start everyone game by assuming everyone is scum, and working my way back from there. :colbert:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Man, that reminds me, I never ever see inventor roles anymore! Everyone just goes with JOATs these days

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i change my name all the time independant of mafia games continually rendering my Mafia High Score to 0, which is then rounded up to 1 (placement and scores share numbers to save moeny.)

it is a dirty continengent who look past the reads and effort and look at the jokes, and say "this here is the scum".

infi has corect approach and hal has best method for scumhun ting. he just self corn cobbed on day one and had to out himself because of tunelvision.

a fun meta for me is whenever i am in a masonry i will immediately out it and anyone who masons with me.

being new does not exonerate being scum. thran vote was always a joke to begin with but it has evolved into feeling he has something to hide, he posts from a place of insincerity and discomfert. i also found it shaky that he got some votes but the trigger was pulled on retro in stead who there wasnt a super strong case on. dismissiveness is the tool of the unrighteous.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bifauxnen posted:

Man, that reminds me, I never ever see inventor roles anymore! Everyone just goes with JOATs these days

i had a role where i could make a gun or a vest in a game years back and made nothing because violence only tears people apart instead of bringing them together

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think this is name change 15 for me

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the four person mason thing feels like a wifom and a trap and we should be scumhunting for intent and actual scumreading instead of this ratios and metatells and other garbage that has not worked ever

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

thran vote was always a joke to begin with but it has evolved into

Haha this is why I usually avoid jokevoting entirely, even in cases when this is true it always sounds like the scummiest thing

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

for the record I'm not new I just haven't played in a million years. I can name drop with the best of them though... ever heard of a little someone named winvirus? yeah he lynched me one time.

this exonerates you a lot and makes me interested in your unsullied reads

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bifauxnen posted:

Haha this is why I usually avoid jokevoting entirely, even in cases when this is true it always sounds like the scummiest thing

why.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the goal of scum is to win by destroying all threats to their existence and making sure they outnumber all town sided factions at the end of the game. their actions that get them to this obejective come by way of obfusicating, deception, manipulation, hiding, and lying.

things like jokephase or funposting and fake voting early on to no harm are not actions that lead to said destination. thus they are not scumtells. scumtells have seemed to evolved over the years to "things i personally do not enjoy occuring in my game". one must learn to separate the two to truly prevail or else more hals get lynched.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I would lynch Thran, grandicap and bif, in that order.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

grandicap came in gave a set of good reads and then fell into a coma

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i change my name all the time independant of mafia games continually rendering my Mafia High Score to 0, which is then rounded up to 1 (placement and scores share numbers to save moeny.)

it is a dirty continengent who look past the reads and effort and look at the jokes, and say "this here is the scum".

infi has corect approach and hal has best method for scumhun ting. he just self corn cobbed on day one and had to out himself because of tunelvision.

a fun meta for me is whenever i am in a masonry i will immediately out it and anyone who masons with me.

being new does not exonerate being scum. thran vote was always a joke to begin with but it has evolved into feeling he has something to hide, he posts from a place of insincerity and discomfert. i also found it shaky that he got some votes but the trigger was pulled on retro in stead who there wasnt a super strong case on. dismissiveness is the tool of the unrighteous.

this post is more helpful thanks

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

## unvote

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah I'd like to give voting Thran another go today. The fact that I disagree with binus' other reads but we agree on what he says is his first pick makes this a very interesting test imo.

##vote Thranguy

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Asiina posted:

flerp is this weird entity in every game I play with him where I go "ugh a useless shitposter who isn't going to contribute" and it appears that way on the surface, but then if I actually read his posts there's always content there.

But then I always forget that's true and it's like UGH FLERP IS IN THIS GAME, ANOTHER USELESS PERSON and the cycle continues.

u make me blush

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think it's the short all lower case name and the short posts with bad spelling. It reminds me of derp or imgay and I'm just like pls no.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

things like jokephase or funposting and fake voting early on to no harm are not actions that lead to said destination. thus they are not scumtells.

Btw this was an interesting perspective. I do appreciate jokephase, but I still prefer to not go so far as joke voting unless the joke is too funny to resist.

Just cause if it does end up being a serious vote later, I hate having to try and explain it. :v:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Nothing Probst (or whatever) has posted in the last few hours has changed my mind in the slightest. It's all nonsense or game theory that has nothing to do with this game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I am Mafia Jesus who died to redeem flerp lol

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

I am Mafia Jesus who died to redeem flerp lol

god bless

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I reread thrang's posts. All low content/zero content.

My case from d1

quote:

Both of them feel like trying to contribute without contributing.
(the other person I was talking about being apos)

flerp's case:

quote:

actually when looking at thrangles himself there's a lot "yeah i agree w/ this" but not a lot of their own independent thought. could be newbie uncertainity, or d1 uncertainity, or scum trying to find the "safest" case (which i feel like thrangles has always chosen, when it becomes oppurtune. such as going onto hal after multiple people have read him and then switching onto opop who is voting for claimed cop). i feel like it might be the last one.

hosed up but im feeling a thrangles vote myself. me 2-ing a lot but in a way that feels like its attempting to be w/ the "safest" case and not trying to actually find scum.

stone cold's case:

quote:

bif's case is essentially "stone cold fka gif provost is my friend and I'm voting with him for that reason" and I geuss this:

quote:

Thranguy: Don't have the same level of certainty that Probst does, could see him just being a newbie, but I can also see the case as legit. Not my first choice but my first choices are not on the table.

honestly idk that any of these cases are strong including my own however I'm going for it
## vote thranguy

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

bif's case is essentially "stone cold fka gif provost is my friend and I'm voting with him for that reason" and I geuss this:

ehhhh sorta... it's more like, I haven't seen anything bad enough from Thran that makes it worth hounding him and casing him a lot as one of my top scumreads or nothing, but I look at Thran's posts and think "meh, yeah, I could see him for scum". Since my top scumread had been Hal and then I rethought AC and Asiina after the arguments with them shook out, I'm kinda in limbo at the moment waiting for something to get me going again.

In the meantime, I think Probst had a good point about the slide away from Thran to RF being possibly suspicious. And I think it would be very interesting to see if Thran flips scum since that'd help me feel better about B- and Probst.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hammer dis sick filth

Alternatively it's time to claim Thranguy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But seriously hammer him before he has a chance to respond

It'll be funny

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
why didnt we turbo infi again?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Why hammer already?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

b-minus1 posted:

Why hammer already?

Auspol likes to play fast. We should at least pause for a possible claim, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I really have no interest in voting Thran. He reads just like new person to me and that's not scummy. Two of the cases are that he's not providing strong enough reads, but neither is Mr. F or Probst, and b-minus is playing pretty light on the content, so why is the new guy getting voted for this and they're getting a pass?

The other two are either the same basic thing or that it's because the bandwagon on Opop picked up instead. The reason that happened was because at least two people: Grandi and Inf realized that it was his second game ever and moved off of him and the momentum stalled. It's not really a big mystery as to how that happened, it all happened in the thread.

If anything I'm suspicious of Inf during that since both in the mason chat and then later in the thread he was hesitant to move off Thran after finding out he was new despite his own policy because it will look bad after he cased him? Like does that not actually change your opinion on how he's acting? The reason we give new people a chance is because they always act a little weird and self-conscious in their first few games.

I don't know Thran's alignment and I would vote him to prevent a no lynch but I am not seeing anything here that says anything but "new and nervous player" and none of that is scummy.

• Locked thread