Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
note: do not watch King Kong Lives while sober

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does Kong gently caress?

There may have been some slight subtext in the various Kong movies.

In the 1976 movie they roofie Dwan before setting her up with Kong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31dhSRrW60k

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This seems like a good enough time to talk about how both the '76 Kong and King Kong Lives are terribly underrated, and how they dovetail completely into Skull Island, thematically and aesthetically.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I think we can all agree to be glad Kong is a gorilla and not a bonobo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

This seems like a good enough time to talk about how both the '76 Kong and King Kong Lives are terribly underrated, and how they dovetail completely into Skull Island, thematically and aesthetically.

I wonder if the '76 Kong would have had a bigger cultural impact if it didn't have the godawful luck of being released a few months before Star Wars.

The production was also way more 'troubled' than usual, including dumb poo poo like building a full sized Kong prop for $1.7 million which only ended up appearing in 15 seconds of footage in the final edit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, it was an inglorious task to try and remake the original.

The original is one of the most technically impressive films in the history of cinema.

It cannot be overstated how they pulled every trick out of the book for that movie and even invented a few new ones. It is a marvel of a movie that, effects wise, would only be challenged by movies made 30+ years after.

So of course each remake, 76 and Jackson, tried to match that in their own ways. Tried to recapture that impact and that level of sheer Next Level-Ness

Both kind of collapsed under the weight of it sadly. 76 for reasons stated above, and Jackson by just trying to make the movie as epic as possible resulting in a giant bloated 3+ hour thing.

Though one thing I do find funny is people talking about how big Kong was, because the original Kong kept shape shifting. Dude could be anywhere from 18 feet to 100 depending on what they needed him to be.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There may have been some slight subtext in the various Kong movies.

In the 1976 movie they roofie Dwan before setting her up with Kong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31dhSRrW60k

pretty sure kong also tries to stick his gigantic finger up her dress :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

... and then when they got to see the finished product they went "Ohhhhhhhhh gently caress THAT" and banned all their IPs from being adapted into live action films for the next few decades. The upcoming Detective Pikachu film will be the second ever live action Nintendo film.

Oh hey, Alex Hirsch (Gravity Falls) is writing that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HannibalBarca posted:

pretty sure kong also tries to stick his gigantic finger up her dress :v:

The whole "untamed savage jungle beast abducts pure white woman" thing was a whole genre unto itself for the longest time, not-so-coincidentally hitting its height in the Jim Crow/post-Reconstruction era.

There may be some ..... underlying psychological issues .... which the US was struggling to come to terms with.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What genuinely makes the first Kong more than just a racist thing

Though note that it IS pretty racist in a few fundamental ways that no Kong story will ever escape unless it goes full super hero like Skull Island

Is just how sympathetic Kong is. He is absolutely the victim in all of what happens. The main lead is the villain of the film

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Burkion posted:

What genuinely makes the first Kong more than just a racist thing

Though note that it IS pretty racist in a few fundamental ways that no Kong story will ever escape unless it goes full super hero like Skull Island

Is just how sympathetic Kong is. He is absolutely the victim in all of what happens. The main lead is the villain of the film

I was just re-watching the Planet of the Apes movies (and the remakes which are pretty solid story-wise), they're all allegories about race and how society sees and treats the "savages".

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

The whole "untamed savage jungle beast abducts pure white woman" thing was a whole genre unto itself for the longest time, not-so-coincidentally hitting its height in the Jim Crow/post-Reconstruction era.

There may be some ..... underlying psychological issues .... which the US was struggling to come to terms with.

the scene I was talking about from the 76 Kong, though, which makes me think it was more of a sleazy exploitation thing from everyone's favorite loveable Italian slimeball, Dino de Laurentiis.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't understand how Kong+Godzilla+Jaegers can all exist when King Kong is substantially smaller than the rest. Did they make him bigger in the Skull Island movie?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

I don't understand how Kong+Godzilla+Jaegers can all exist when King Kong is substantially smaller than the rest. Did they make him bigger in the Skull Island movie?

He’s big in Skull Island but not Godzilla big. They say he’s still pretty young and growing at the time and it’s going to have been 50 years before he shows up again so they’ll size him up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

We should change this thread title to "Godzilla-Kong's Still Growing, Ok?"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah the plan to have a Godzilla/Kong shared universe meant that Kong had to be massively upscaled which had a whole series of knock on effects on things like how he would interact with humans and what could possibly oppose him. There's just no way he could have a final confrontation against the '33 biplanes or even the '76 attack helicopters. I doubt this modern Kong could even climb a skyscraper without toppling it just from his weight.

Here's a wacky size comparison graph of the various Kongs:

(Note that the Empire State building is not at all to scale on the graph.)

DLC Inc posted:

And the still growing thing.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The only thing off with the "still growing line" is that the skeletons of his parents aren't any bigger than him. If he is still growing, his parents died young, too. I guess that's possible but it seems weird to me.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

FooF posted:

The only thing off with the "still growing line" is that the skeletons of his parents aren't any bigger than him. If he is still growing, his parents died young, too. I guess that's possible but it seems weird to me.

It's a handwave line because they wanted Kong to be small enough to plausibly interact with the human characters in Skull Island but leave room for him to be big enough to stand up to Godzilla in 2020. Don't think too hard about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As we've established, Skull Island does the usual thing with modern movie heroes and turns him into Batman.

Interesting that most depictions of Skull Island are a nightmarish hell of giant creepy crawlies, dinosaurs and missing links, while K:SI explicitly works it into the Kaiju creature mythos they're going for; a place where the full giant ecosystem still survives, giving a hint of what the world was like when titans walked it every day- and a society where people have learned to accept the Kaiju and live alongside them. The 2005 one by contrast is a Darwinian nightmare, walled off by terrified degenerate tribespeople, and apparently the geography is meant to indicate that the island is shrinking, causing a horrific escalation of survival of the fittest as everything fights over dwindling territory and resources.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

As we've established, Skull Island does the usual thing with modern movie heroes and turns him into Batman.

Interesting that most depictions of Skull Island are a nightmarish hell of giant creepy crawlies, dinosaurs and missing links, while K:SI explicitly works it into the Kaiju creature mythos they're going for; a place where the full giant ecosystem still survives, giving a hint of what the world was like when titans walked it every day- and a society where people have learned to accept the Kaiju and live alongside them. The 2005 one by contrast is a Darwinian nightmare, walled off by terrified degenerate tribespeople, and apparently the geography is meant to indicate that the island is shrinking, causing a horrific escalation of survival of the fittest as everything fights over dwindling territory and resources.

Yeah, the 2017 film shows a Skull Island where Kong has successfully Batmanned his way through the bad guys and established a fragile peace. The local humans and peaceful giant critters can go about their lives knowing that there's scary monsters out there but there's an even bigger monster keeping them in check.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I wonder if the '76 Kong would have had a bigger cultural impact if it didn't have the godawful luck of being released a few months before Star Wars.
The biggest problem with that movie is how dull Skull Island is. There's barely even a forest because I guess making tons of miniature trees would have been too expensive. Instead you have Kong on a Star Trek set fighting the cheapest monster they could come up with.

I wonder if the Universal version would have been better; The Legend of King Kong at least had some pre-production art of dinosaurs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Inescapable Duck posted:

They’re not exactly hiding this

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Which gets back to SMG's point that this seems to pretty obviously set up Kong as an antagonistic figure going forward. It's gonna be hard for him to accept that Godzilla isn't just a bigger version of those 'apex predators' who killed his parents, and Godzilla already has roughly the same relationship with Monarch as Superman did with the U.S. government, so that will compound the sense for Kong going forward that only he can stop Godzilla.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's kind of an obvious contrast between them; Kong obviously has a lot more in common with humans, being a primate and a social being (which compounds his tragedy that he has no family or peers left) while Godzilla is far older, far more different and more mysterious in his actions and motivations.

It is established that Kong and his species have generally been relatively friendly towards humans and protected them (so long as the humans aren't attacking them or blowing poo poo up for no reason) compared to Godzilla barely acknowledging them. That seems like a pretty logical setup for a conflict; Kong kinda likes humans (maybe we're like adorable tiny monkeys) while Godzilla doesn't care much about the collateral damage he causes just by moving around, even if he might be ultimately the one thing keeping the planet from a Kaiju apocalypse. (a fair few Godzilla works, including Half-Century War and Final Wars, aren't subtle about how the rise of all of the Kaiju is basically Ragnarok for humanity)

On another note, I liked the Skull Islanders of Skull Island; less horrifically racist 'degenerate superstitious tribesfolk' more still problematic but at least better 'mysterious natives with connections to ancient secrets beyond the modern world's understanding', but their attitude and culture seems interestingly different and suited to the harsh life of surviving Skull Island, with their voiceless communication and stoic personalities resembling Kong himself. And all the make-up makes it look like they don't talk much before everything you need to know is literally written on their face, and body.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think the body paint had less to do with written instructions and a whole lot more with camouflage as everything on the island including the human natives seeks to blend in with its surroundings to avoid being eaten by something bigger. The only creatures that don't try to blend in are Kong and the Skulleaters because they're at the top of this hierarchy.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

I wonder if the '76 Kong would have had a bigger cultural impact if it didn't have the godawful luck of being released a few months before Star Wars

Definitely had nothing to do with it. KK76 was received like the overhyped piece of poo poo it in fact was, and had been soundly forgotten by the time people started hearing about the weird space movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I want the Pacific Rim crossover to have the heroes try to summon Legendary Godzilla, but they end up with Shin Godzilla and it gets much, much worse from there.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bimmi posted:

Definitely had nothing to do with it. KK76 was received like the overhyped piece of poo poo it in fact was, and had been soundly forgotten by the time people started hearing about the weird space movie.

First off: it was released in December 1976, meaning "the weird space movie" was barely 6 months away when it came out.

Second off: in spite of this, it was still a massive commercial hit, and while critics were mixed on it, many prominent ones (most notably Ebert and Pauline Kael) praised it. King Kong Lives is the one that bombed, not King Kong '76.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems like both of the major King Kong remakes were fairly well recieved and box office hits, only to be pretty quickly forgotten.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like how after the year 2000, Peter Jackson forgot how to make a movie shorter than three hours.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I still really like King Kong '05, bloated running time and all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Too many movies are hacked to pieces these days and it shows. Give 'em room to breathe.

Though it does seem like in the Hobbit case Jackson felt obligated to make them three hours each just because LOTR was. Probably studio demands.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

Seems like both of the major King Kong remakes were fairly well recieved and box office hits, only to be pretty quickly forgotten.

'76 is an odd duck because it actually did get rediscovered on TV after it was initially forgotten- in 1980 or 1981, NBC picked up the airing rights to it and made a fuckload of money. It then got promptly forgotten again when Lives bombed.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

First off: it was released in December 1976, meaning "the weird space movie" was barely 6 months away when it came out.

Might as well have been five years. No one knew what the hell a Star Wars was until Time magazine wrote a huge, glowing review calling it the best movie of the year. Kong was not on anyone's mind at the time, because while quite a few people saw it, nobody seemed to particularly like it.

And just to complete the circle of pedantry, making double your budget back is about the slimmest possible definition of "massive commercial success" there is, especially when films like Jaws and Star Wars were doing it twentyfold and then some.

e: it was actually outgrossed by that deathless cinematic classic, "In Search of Noah's Ark." That's a lol right there.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 25, 2017

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Kong had a lot of hype because in marketing they played up the fact that they constructed some kind of giant robot for the movie. We were all disappointed in the result. Also, no dinosaurs - only a giant snake - sucked.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kong 76 was a solid hit, but not as much as de Laurentiis hoped. He got it in his head that this would topple Jaws and be the biggest blockbuster ever and it didn't do that. Plans to make a sequel were delayed because as part of the initial legal fracas he'd given Universal dibs on future Kong movie and they sued him over Orca being a Jaws rip off and by the time that was resolved it wasn't a priority.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Kong was also one of the most expensive movies ever made up to that time, so whatever blockbuster status it enjoyed is highly relative. And as someone who was there, I can tell you that even a good movie would've had a hard time living up to the ungodly levels of hype the drat thing generated.

One of the most interesting things to me about Star Wars was that it literally came out of nowhere and exploded into this supermassive phenomenon of its own accord. Fox initially had little confidence in it, which was evident from the almost total lack of pre-release support it got. All the magazines that should have been covering it totally missed the boat, and I didn't even know it existed until Time did their piece on it.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I really like Kong 76. It's one of those movies I can't explain why I like it, but I just do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The production was also way more 'troubled' than usual, including dumb poo poo like building a full sized Kong prop for $1.7 million which only ended up appearing in 15 seconds of footage in the final edit.

Said it before, I'll say it again: Carlo Rambaldi is like the ultimate right place, right time guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean Rambaldi was responsible for the animatronics facial expressions on the suit-actor Kong as well, and ET wasn't nothing.