Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

I thought they looked more composed and competent than regular storm troopers, Ezra, Sabine, and Saw had to work to clown on them, it wasn't just a regular storm trooper sweep. Quick to turn and fire when they opened the door, displayed tactics and critical thinking, way more than any storm trooper ever has.

I am beyond certain that Chopper said "I landed on my head :smith:" when Ezra asked him how he was. The bit where he grabbed the green guy by the ears to drag him into line, and then headbutted him, was amazing :allears: Also, did we finally see the end of Brom Titus? His cruiser, and the bridge, looked like it got proper hosed e: Apparently we did, Titus is dead

Also, are we not doing spoilers anymore? Or just for a day?

As it (mostly) went in previous threads, spoiler tags are used only for discussion of the new episodes before they physically air on Mondays at 9pm ET. So, you're in the clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

thrawn527 posted:

See, this is bugging me. I saw Dave Filoni speak at Celebration earlier in the year, and he said that people were always asking about the romance between Kanan and Hera, but that he has never written anything like that between them. And he loved that people read it that way, because it proves you don't have to write a romance for people to see it, or for it to even actually exist on it's own.

Clearly in the last season, he's just saying, "Oh gently caress it, I'll give them what they want."

I'm gonna be honest, I thought they were married.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm glad Saw's methods are being shown as more effective and we know he's correct. Even if his methods are too immoral. The temptation for most kids shows would be to show that they're not effective. I also really liked Mon Mothma getting called out for relying too much on sympathisers in the senate.

I'm pleasantly surprised that "how you choose to fight is what matters" became more than just a one-off platitude and is a central theme of the show. I was kinda hoping they'd lean into it even more, like having someone say "We're freedom fighters but Saw's a terrorist" or something like that.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, seeing the Death Troopers get clowned on in their first non-Rogue One appearance was kinda sad. They managed to make Vader threatening, why couldn't they have done the same for them?

I for sure thought the lead Death Trooper was going to be revealed to be Captain Phasma but then she got exploded.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Has Jennifer Hale done any other voices in the show, or was that her only character? Because they seemed to be setting the Death Trooper captain up as another foil. Might've survived.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Moon Slayer posted:

I for sure thought the lead Death Trooper was going to be revealed to be Captain Phasma but then she got exploded.

Nah, Phasma's not gonna make an appearance in Rebels. Slight spoilers for the Phasma Novel - If she's alive at this point, she's busy Mad Max-ing it up on Apocalypse Planet .

Edit: Really liked these two, a lot more than the first ones. I was really impressed with the Yavin base 'set'. It looks exactly as kitschy and 70s and Star Warsy as it needed to, and it just made me smile a lot.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 24, 2017

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I love Saw. Him puppetting the death trooper in the smoke was sick.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think they should have switched the airing order of these two parters. Opening with Yavin and Mon Mothma and Saw and Death Troopers and Rogue One references and such just seems to make more sense as a premiere.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah but if they reverse the order they can't have Sabine there, and I feel like they were making steps towards Ezra and Sabine as an effective, grown up team that-might-be-more that'll probably be a cornerstone of the final season, so Ezra and Zeb wouldn't have worked.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Has Jennifer Hale done any other voices in the show, or was that her only character? Because they seemed to be setting the Death Trooper captain up as another foil. Might've survived.

They gave her a little more depth and competency than the standard mooks getting clowned by Our Heroes, so maybe? It's also possible that there was just more in earlier drafts of the episode that got edited down, and left that little appendix of characterization behind.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...I actually completely forgot about Zeb

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Never did get loyalty quest for Zeb did we?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

IRQ posted:

Never did get loyalty quest for Zeb did we?

Yeah we did. Season 2. Like the episode with the new Lasat home planet

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
My video gameplay style aesthetic is 100% saw laughing while dumping giant bombs out of his uwing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flight of the Defender preview clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ycbZWrDMiE
The Occupation preview clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zttwn-INyj8

Finally~

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Those were two really good episodes. I'm glad Saw's methods are being shown as more effective and we know he's correct. Even if his methods are too immoral. The temptation for most kids shows would be to show that they're not effective. I also really liked Mon Mothma getting called out for relying too much on sympathisers in the senate.
Interesting, the episode played much differently for me. Ezra and Sabine are rewarded for rejecting Saw's methods; the prisoners they save become valuable members of the Alliance. Meanwhile Saw pushes potential allies away and earns nothing from his cutthroat tactics.

Regardless, we both enjoyed these episodes! I liked these much more than last week's. The humor landed better, Whitaker gave a much improved voice performance than last season, and the tilting satellite dish was a great idea for an action setpiece.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope they actually do something with Kallus instead of just having him in the background or saying 1 line every 4 episodes.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

banned from Starbucks posted:

I hope they actually do something with Kallus instead of just having him in the background or saying 1 line every 4 episodes.

They'll definitely use him when they kill him off as part of his redemptive arc at the end of the season.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I'm still hoping that they'll reveal his real name to be Crix Madine.

And that he says he's sick of these Star Wars.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chickenwalker posted:

They'll definitely use him when they kill him off as part of his redemptive arc at the end of the season.

Along with everyone but Chopper because canonically there aren't any Jedi by the time episode 4 rolls around

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hera at the very least is alive in Rogue One, which is set literally just before A New Hope so she won't die either.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

She could still die at Scarif!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

tsob posted:

Hera at the very least is alive in Rogue One, which is set literally just before A New Hope so she won't die either.

Ah, I spotted chopper, missed the Captain Syndulla reference

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I loved the shot of the shuttle tumbling away as the star destroyer burned in the background. That was a thing of beauty.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cptn_dr posted:

She could still die at Scarif!

She could, but then the show would need to cover Scarif to portray her death and someone said earlier they've confirmed they're not going too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 25, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Azhais posted:

Ah, I spotted chopper, missed the Captain Syndulla reference

She's a General by Scarif, actually.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They really like having generals flying around in ships dogfighting dont they

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

DancinBrud posted:

Interesting, the episode played much differently for me. Ezra and Sabine are rewarded for rejecting Saw's methods; the prisoners they save become valuable members of the Alliance. Meanwhile Saw pushes potential allies away and earns nothing from his cutthroat tactics.

Regardless, we both enjoyed these episodes! I liked these much more than last week's. The humor landed better, Whitaker gave a much improved voice performance than last season, and the tilting satellite dish was a great idea for an action setpiece.

It's more the idea that the two styles of rebellion can coexist. As Ezra said, 'You fight your war, we'll fight ours.' The prisoners were saved and the Kyber crystal was destroyed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My headcanon says that when Mon Mothma was evacuated from Yavin IV it was aboard the Ghost.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

They actually just canonized that it wasn't (in the new short story anthology), sadly. Though it was in one of the better stories in the book.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cptn_dr posted:

They actually just canonized that it wasn't (in the new short story anthology), sadly. Though it was in one of the better stories in the book.

I assume the canonical escape was via magical umbrella?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Mon Mothmary Poppins is a movie I would watch. Ideally as a double feature with Mon Mothra

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hera was in one of the animated shorts post-ROTJ. She's alive and well.

Also, that mandalore two parter sucked. Everything with the darksaber and Saxon last year felt like a real and proper conclusion to Sabine's arc. This felt like an awkward epilogue.

Also the reveal that Sabine's Mom and brother survived is a super cheap reveal.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hera was in one of the animated shorts post-ROTJ. She's alive and well.

Also, that mandalore two parter sucked. Everything with the darksaber and Saxon last year felt like a real and proper conclusion to Sabine's arc. This felt like an awkward epilogue.

Also the reveal that Sabine's Mom and brother survived is a super cheap reveal.

It would have made a lot more sense for Sabine's return had they died. I kind of expected it with the "girl who was damaged" tagline from the trailer.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
When Sabine’s family showed up all like, “Yeah, we managed to escape, somehow!” I just said, “Oh, gently caress off!” It’s like they went out of their way to avoid having any real stakes in those episodes.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The way the Mon Mothma crew treat Saw is so goddamn funny. You're all armed revolutionaries! You kill people all the loving time! What are you *talking about*?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The way the Mon Mothma crew treat Saw is so goddamn funny. You're all armed revolutionaries! You kill people all the loving time! What are you *talking about*?

The Imperial Senate is a distinguished institution and we must respect the democratic process or... *Saw stopped listening ages ago and is laughing while throwing storm troopers into a volcano*

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Saw ends up living as a guerrilla hobo and gets glassed by Tarkin so I guess Mothma got the last laugh in the end.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Funky Valentine posted:

Saw ends up living as a guerrilla hobo and gets glassed by Tarkin so I guess Mothma got the last laugh in the end.

The imperial senate was dissolved at gunpoint and one of its most prominent members got his whole planet kerploded. Saw got the last laugh there

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

when does saw get his robot legs and the mind rape squid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

:shrug: Even after open warfare had broken out between the British and the American colonists, many still wanted to find a peaceful resolution. Several members of the Second Continental Congress (which convened after the battles at Lexington and Concord) voted against declaring independence because it would end any chance of that. Only about a third of Americans wanted to fight the British at all. We don't really talk about that these days because in the end a diplomatic solution wasn't possible and the revolutionaries were successful, so it makes a better story for everyone to have been united and resolute on independence from the start. I find it really interesting that they're highlighting the divisions and debate in the nascent Rebel Alliance.

• Locked thread