Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Titanic posted:

Currently the game is in modules, not connected.

There is a jank filled FPS level (Star Marine).

A jank filled racing segment (???).

A jank filled ship arcade wave shooter (Arena Commander).

And a jank filled “persistent universe” that is neither persistent or a universe. This is the most popular part and it symbolizes what they want the future to be.

Except functional, not janky, full of promises, and filled with 1000 people in a single instance at a time having massive fleet battles as they battle in space, on board the ships fighting in space, on the ground, and also bring video recorded by a news van space ship simultaneously. Also everybody has face over ip because you need to be immersed fully when watching somebody playing a video game because that is when they are most expressionate.

Right now you can log in, go to your shop, and run a couple of missions between a two space stations and some random comm array things.

Overall there is approximately two hours of content if you don’t crash, and everything after that is just “because you are a masochist”.

There is no trading, mining, or other stuff. You can log in and shoot at other players or some AI pirates that have minimal actual AI.

Supposedly you can also push around a vending machine, but only you can see it.

There may be more now, but it is all in secret avocado testing, but rumor has it don’t expect much.

Good luck, Citizen. You better buy in now. :)

Is this too long to be thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jesus Christ these people will attack / defend anything , even if it has almost 0 to do with star citizen.

You drive a Toyota ?? gently caress you I hope you burn in hell only true citizens drive porsche , I just ordered the exact same one Chris has!

You simply don't have the commitment the rest of us do go join Derek fart and get a refund Goon

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Autism at its finest

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Don't worry Pacific Rim 2 hopefuls, there's a Mazinger Z movie coming out in January.

Blue On Blue posted:

Jesus Christ these people will attack / defend anything , even if it has almost 0 to do with star citizen.

You drive a Toyota ?? gently caress you I hope you burn in hell only true citizens drive porsche , I just ordered the exact same one Chris has!

You simply don't have the commitment the rest of us do go join Derek fart and get a refund Goon

It's even funnier when you remember all you need to play SC well is a mouse.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Does this guy also eat steak with two forks?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

McGiggins posted:

Toxx on it. SC will be released as a final product by then, or you're banned. You may choose to eat a "genuine leather" belt in video for the thread to avoid the ban.

Moma at least has the guts to post, unlike the r/ds idiots that read this thread with sa accounts and yet are too scared to say anything.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

reddit posted:

I swear to God, Reddit is full of just the stupidest loving people...

I don't get it; he's not wrong. :colbert:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/922979376777519105

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I too often feel the temptation to go all in on a new hobby

When I really got into flight sims I had a trackir , hotas, pedals , and 2 touch screens for mfds

Most of it is sold now except the hotas (great for ED), the pedals are collecting dust , And the trackir i gave to another goon

Meanwhile you have citizens building full 360 degree sim pits for a game that hasn't even finalized it's control scheme yet

Whatever happened to the guy that was building a motion simulator that looked like it would launch him into the concrete at 60mph the first time he tried to take off from port ollisar ?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Best marketing posts since she was a little girl

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/78j9iz/more_30_spoilers_from_my_avocado_friend/

And I'm back with another email excerpt with a very busy Avocado friend. Here's more questions with a lot of long answers and no filter or edits.

Q: How's testing this week?
A: So far, we've had 4 new patches each smaller than 1GB, thanks to the delta patcher. We recently had a concurrency test in the USA server to help CIG stress the servers and give them valuable data. We all had to take a Gladius and QT to any moon and traverse around the surface. The past weekend, we had a Yela and Daymar challenge testing where we traverse Yela and Daymar looking for biota, derelicts and outposts, test quantum linking of ships to Quantum Travel as a fleet, cram as many ships as possible into GrimHex, get as many ships in formation low level flying along the surface of Yela and Daymar, try to have the largest biker gang on each moon, do canyon runs in fleet formation and do formation flying entering the atmosphere with atmospheric effects. Screenshots and video captures were sent to a specific ETF thread for CIG to collect and get amused. Other than that, testing is up to you as long as you follow the patch notes' directions.

Q: How's performance in the most recent patches?
A: E and F were dogshit with constant 30K errors and CTDs. Patch G gave me 60FPS on the US server for the first time, and it didn't drop me to less than 30 FPS on a full server. Other Avocados reported occasional errors and CTDs, but I was able to test for a couple hours at a time and I was able to visit a few outposts in all 3 moons and Delamar without crashing constantly. Then H came around as an 800MB patch along with the Gladius-Moon focused testing and my FPS tanked back to the 20s, presumably because we were stressing full servers with as much Avocados as possible in staggered waves with military precision. That happened last night under Proxus and Underscore's direction while Ahmed pulled the server plug after each wave.

Q: Have there been more directed tests?
A: Besides the ones I mentioned already, no. Trading Kiosks are open for testing with the latest patch, so we might get cargo-trade-focused testing runs this weekend.

Q: Have there been new things to test since our last chat?
A: Some ships that were previously broken or floating off the landing pads are now able to be tested, like the Vanguards, Connies, Prospector, Merlin, and others. The Ursa is drivable again and the bikes are less jerky, so you can haul them to the moons and use the race track. Biker gangs are a thing now, and formation flying and QTing is online via quantum linking of ships using the COMMS MFD. Cargo and trading kiosks came online with H, so we can buy and sell cargo now with 0 profit. 1 SCU of cargo costs 10aUEC each and we can choose what ship to store them. The Caterpillar seems to have the most cargo capacity AFAIK. The Port Olisar to Levski run is the farthest and longest run, but it's satisfying to me. You can find cargo boxes you can carry from derelict sites and outposts that you can then sell, assuming you don't crash or get the dreaded errors.

Q: How accurate are the leaked patch notes?
A: Very accurate. It's an easy copy-paste leak.

Q: What's your favorite thing to do in 3.0?
A: Seriously? Cargo runs and exploring unmarked moon outposts. Each one has its own company or style, ie Rayari, ArcCorp, Benson, etc.. Some outposts are just small shelters, while other outposts have everything you need to settle in and take off your space suit because it has breathable atmosphere. You mean the interior? Yeah some have ASOP terminals, cargo boxes, office rooms, bunks, storage rooms, small kitchenettes, space weed rooms, laboratories, and creepy teddy bears. Outside the outposts, there are landing pads where you can spawn vehicles, various mining and industrial structures, solar panels, communication towers, and what look like moisture farms which explain the interior atmosphere in large outposts. Some outposts have NPC outlaws that you can kill to access the interior. This is done through the missions app with different categories like job, investigation and retrieval, but the mission system still needs some fixing and tweaking.

Q: How are the NPCs this time around?
A: CIG enabled them again, so they're running around Port Olisar and Levski, fixing poo poo, manning various stores, leaning on walls, scratching armpits, sitting on benches, having inaudible conversations, etc.. There's no NPC ships that fly around just yet. I'd prefer it that way for ETF testing because Port Olisar is busy enough as it is with space ATC enabled and dipshits loving around instead of following directions or using ATC. Miles still can't be interacted with, but I'm sure CIG is working on it.

Q: I'm sorry to ask again. When do you think we'll get PTU? CitizenCon?
A: That's way too optimistic. We just started the second phase of ETF testing aka cargo and trade. We've yet to really test the missions system. My honest prediction is not in November or December. I know the public is dying to get their hands on 3.0, but realistically don't expect it by Christmas to be brutally honest. There's a probability that CIG will open it up to PTU on New Years' Eve, but that's pure speculation and optimistic at that. I don't like to speculate, so please stop asking me about dates.

Yeah, I'm optimistic. Yeah, my friend knows about me leaking this private conversation. Yeah, that was stupid of me to not blur out his PC specs, but I think he'll be fine. Please don't send me threats this time around. I'm not the one who signed the NDA and I'm sure I'm not breaking any subreddit rules.

Enjoy and discuss.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

AP posted:

Moma at least has the guts to post, unlike the r/ds idiots that read this thread with sa accounts and yet are too scared to say anything.

Remember they only archive Dereks evil posts so ironclad moma and the tickler can bring Derek to justice like they did with the escapist.

In my opinion though, goons already won because r/DS helped to fund something awful (please don't tell them)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Don't worry Pacific Rim 2 hopefuls, there's a Mazinger Z movie coming out in January.

It's even funnier when you remember all you need to play SC well is a mouse.

...and these super intuitive keyboard systems!

My favorite is F-10, because the scoreboard really is what every deep, meaningful life simulator has. It symbolizes the tragic reality of Star Citizen, vs the fake dreams being sold.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Quavers posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/78j9iz/more_30_spoilers_from_my_avocado_friend/

Patch G gave me 60FPS on the US server for the first time, and it didn't drop me to less than 30 FPS on a full server.

Wow, sounds like they'll have constant 60 fps with 1000 people on in no time at all. It's just a matter of working their way up from here, not of completely scrapping whatever bullshit they have going on that ties framerate to network performance

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

So many bugs, the designers are just building them in as features now. Nobody cares.

Is this dildo of a ship even in the game right now or are they just loving with backers again?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Please forgive my ignorance. Tell me I am being stupid if so but...

What is this idiotic "stress testing" they keep doing? My word, either it works with fifty players or it doesn't. Like do they think the game will break if you fly through a canyon with others but not alone? In all those notes what the hey hey are they stressing?

Isn't stress testing not about breaking the game but making sure the instance player limit doesn't destroy the FPS?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

Vertisce of r/ds attempting research on a non-Derek Smart topic

Shuttle Crew Operations Manual - 2.13 GNC - Translational Hand Controller (THC)

Shuttle Commander's Station - THC is visible to the left of the Rotational Hand Controller

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ZenMaster posted:

What is this idiotic "stress testing" they keep doing? My word, either it works with fifty players or it doesn't. Like do they think the game will break if you fly through a canyon with others but not alone? In all those notes what the hey hey are they stressing?

Isn't stress testing not about breaking the game but making sure the instance player limit doesn't destroy the FPS?

Chris walks around and tells people to do everything "better" and then they see who cracks and quits.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ZenMaster posted:

It's about making the Evocati feel special and wanted so they'll open their wallets this Friday even though CIG doesn't have anything to show

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

What's a full server in SC terms, 26 people?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Half that

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

So 5 years to make it somewhat stable with 12 people. It should be pretty quick now to make it to Croberts goal of 10K on one server. The pipes are in place.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

And I'm back with another email excerpt with a very busy Avocado friend. Here's more questions with a lot of long answers and no filter or edits.

Q: How's testing this week?
A: So far, we've had 4 new patches each smaller than 1GB, thanks to the delta patcher. We recently had a concurrency test in the USA server to help CIG stress the servers and give them valuable data. We all had to take a Gladius and QT to any moon and traverse around the surface. The past weekend, we had a Yela and Daymar challenge testing where we traverse Yela and Daymar looking for biota, derelicts and outposts, test quantum linking of ships to Quantum Travel as a fleet, cram as many ships as possible into GrimHex, get as many ships in formation low level flying along the surface of Yela and Daymar, try to have the largest biker gang on each moon, do canyon runs in fleet formation and do formation flying entering the atmosphere with atmospheric effects. Screenshots and video captures were sent to a specific ETF thread for CIG to collect and get amused. Other than that, testing is up to you as long as you follow the patch notes' directions.

Q: How's performance in the most recent patches?
A: E and F were dogshit with constant 30K errors and CTDs. Patch G gave me 60FPS on the US server for the first time, and it didn't drop me to less than 30 FPS on a full server. Other Avocados reported occasional errors and CTDs, but I was able to test for a couple hours at a time and I was able to visit a few outposts in all 3 moons and Delamar without crashing constantly. Then H came around as an 800MB patch along with the Gladius-Moon focused testing and my FPS tanked back to the 20s, presumably because we were stressing full servers with as much Avocados as possible in staggered waves with military precision. That happened last night under Proxus and Underscore's direction while Ahmed pulled the server plug after each wave.

Q: Have there been more directed tests?
A: Besides the ones I mentioned already, no. Trading Kiosks are open for testing with the latest patch, so we might get cargo-trade-focused testing runs this weekend.

Q: Have there been new things to test since our last chat?
A: Some ships that were previously broken or floating off the landing pads are now able to be tested, like the Vanguards, Connies, Prospector, Merlin, and others. The Ursa is drivable again and the bikes are less jerky, so you can haul them to the moons and use the race track. Biker gangs are a thing now, and formation flying and QTing is online via quantum linking of ships using the COMMS MFD. Cargo and trading kiosks came online with H, so we can buy and sell cargo now with 0 profit. 1 SCU of cargo costs 10aUEC each and we can choose what ship to store them. The Caterpillar seems to have the most cargo capacity AFAIK. The Port Olisar to Levski run is the farthest and longest run, but it's satisfying to me. You can find cargo boxes you can carry from derelict sites and outposts that you can then sell, assuming you don't crash or get the dreaded errors.

Q: How accurate are the leaked patch notes?
A: Very accurate. It's an easy copy-paste leak.

Q: What's your favorite thing to do in 3.0?
A: Seriously? Cargo runs and exploring unmarked moon outposts. Each one has its own company or style, ie Rayari, ArcCorp, Benson, etc.. Some outposts are just small shelters, while other outposts have everything you need to settle in and take off your space suit because it has breathable atmosphere. You mean the interior? Yeah some have ASOP terminals, cargo boxes, office rooms, bunks, storage rooms, small kitchenettes, space weed rooms, laboratories, and creepy teddy bears. Outside the outposts, there are landing pads where you can spawn vehicles, various mining and industrial structures, solar panels, communication towers, and what look like moisture farms which explain the interior atmosphere in large outposts. Some outposts have NPC outlaws that you can kill to access the interior. This is done through the missions app with different categories like job, investigation and retrieval, but the mission system still needs some fixing and tweaking.

Q: How are the NPCs this time around?
A: CIG enabled them again, so they're running around Port Olisar and Levski, fixing poo poo, manning various stores, leaning on walls, scratching armpits, sitting on benches, having inaudible conversations, etc.. There's no NPC ships that fly around just yet. I'd prefer it that way for ETF testing because Port Olisar is busy enough as it is with space ATC enabled and dipshits loving around instead of following directions or using ATC. Miles still can't be interacted with, but I'm sure CIG is working on it.

Q: I'm sorry to ask again. When do you think we'll get PTU? CitizenCon?
A: That's way too optimistic. We just started the second phase of ETF testing aka cargo and trade. We've yet to really test the missions system. My honest prediction is not in November or December. I know the public is dying to get their hands on 3.0, but realistically don't expect it by Christmas to be brutally honest. There's a probability that CIG will open it up to PTU on New Years' Eve, but that's pure speculation and optimistic at that. I don't like to speculate, so please stop asking me about dates.

Yeah, I'm optimistic. Yeah, my friend knows about me leaking this private conversation. Yeah, that was stupid of me to not blur out his PC specs, but I think he'll be fine. Please don't send me threats this time around. I'm not the one who signed the NDA and I'm sure I'm not breaking any subreddit rules.

Enjoy and discuss.

Hope it works out!

Everybody would be happy to get their dream game.

I’d be happy too. I’d rather see thousands of people happy rather than a few get in trouble. :)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blue On Blue posted:

Whatever happened to the guy that was building a motion simulator that looked like it would launch him into the concrete at 60mph the first time he tried to take off from port ollisar ?

If he died trying it out we'd never know.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Dogeh posted:

While this is a great soap opera, All My Children is better.

All My Children even has more functioning planets than SC.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Keep

Doing

What

You're

Doing!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Foo Diddley posted:

Wow, sounds like they'll have constant 60 fps with 1000 people on in no time at all. It's just a matter of working their way up from here, not of completely scrapping whatever bullshit they have going on that ties framerate to network performance

It's bullshit. CitizenCon is in 4 days and they're now making poo poo up wholesale in order to make sure funding isn't affected.

We get the inside scoop around the clock on my Discord channel. It's still poo poo all the way. And my sources were right. No way in hell 3.0 is ready inside of 6 months.

Right now, the only reason it goes above 20 fps is if you're ALONE and playing with yourself on an instance.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

D_Smart posted:

Right now, the only reason it goes above 20 fps is if you're ALONE and playing with yourself

Something the citizens are accustomed to

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

"chris our game only hits 20fps"
"thats only 4 away from our target right?"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mc Do Well posted:

If he died trying it out we'd never know.

Somewhere deep in Basement level D at CIG headquarters , there is a dimly lit wall which spans the entire length of the building.

Ben uses the freight elevator once a week like clock work, to visit and press his cross of crobberts against the cold stone.

He lets out a gasp and cries "YOU'RE WITH US IN THE STARS NOW... CITIZENS!"

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You really are a loving bore to read Derek.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

As I told you REPEATEDLY, it's all bullshit, I repeat, BULLSHIT, I have never, nor have I will I ever, negotiate with editors! They're clowns at typewriters, they're grammar nazis that associate with other nazis, you can read all about my opinions in my own forum which I will quote for you now, and when those words originally were written, they were DICTATED and not READ because I am a busy man

Mix it up would you?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Days of Our Lives is still the best soap. In high school, they had a whole storyline about a woman possessed by the devil and my entire school was super into it for hilarious reasons, to the point where 5th period after lunch was sparsely populated because everybody stayed home to watch it. The school eventually just showed it in a classroom every day to keep all the kids on campus.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

And while you're mixing it up in the blender stick your entire hand in there so you can finally reach climax when you finally manage to sue someone for actual damages

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Chalks posted:

Very much depends where you're from when it comes to that.

Where was Seraph from?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Suck my dick you blogman

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Tane

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I've got a joke

Derek Smart decides to read the dictionary in order to improve his lexicon. He opens the first page and begins to read.

I'd tell you the rest of the joke, but I have to let him loving finish.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Whoever is holding Derek right now, could you move him about? I'm getting really lovely signal here. Much obliged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
You're preaching to the choir, tophat