Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

Auspol likes to play fast. We should at least pause for a possible claim, though.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
drat you flerp, pushing us to a new page the second I made my post.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Asiina posted:

I really have no interest in voting Thran. He reads just like new person to me and that's not scummy. Two of the cases are that he's not providing strong enough reads, but neither is Mr. F or Probst, and b-minus is playing pretty light on the content, so why is the new guy getting voted for this and they're getting a pass?

The other two are either the same basic thing or that it's because the bandwagon on Opop picked up instead. The reason that happened was because at least two people: Grandi and Inf realized that it was his second game ever and moved off of him and the momentum stalled. It's not really a big mystery as to how that happened, it all happened in the thread.

If anything I'm suspicious of Inf during that since both in the mason chat and then later in the thread he was hesitant to move off Thran after finding out he was new despite his own policy because it will look bad after he cased him? Like does that not actually change your opinion on how he's acting? The reason we give new people a chance is because they always act a little weird and self-conscious in their first few games.

I don't know Thran's alignment and I would vote him to prevent a no lynch but I am not seeing anything here that says anything but "new and nervous player" and none of that is scummy.

I agree wholeheartedly with this call, all of thran's scummy behavior can be chalked up to new player syndrome. I'm not going to say I think he's town, but he's done nothing to provoke a scum response since my settings were recalibrated to new player.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Ok, putting together the b-1 case I wanted to for a hot second now but haven't had the time to yet. ETA 30 mins to an hour probs.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I wanna put some pressure on Mags. He's posted 3 times this game day and barely anything D1 despite replacing in more than 24 hours before deadline.

His 3 posts today consist of a joke vote, faking that he had a vig, and revealing it was a fake vig. He hasn't responded to any of the requests to come back and say anything, so I'm going to turn the heat up a little.

##vote Mr. F

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

yeah that sounds good, I'd wanna vote Mags next if people are still too hesitant to lunch Thranguy

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Grandicap posted:

I agree wholeheartedly with this call, all of thran's scummy behavior can be chalked up to new player syndrome. I'm not going to say I think he's town, but he's done nothing to provoke a scum response since my settings were recalibrated to new player.

grandpa who woke you up from your nap

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

As all great posts begin, this one starts in jokephase:

b-minus1 posted:

Wrap it up guys. We found the scum n0, good job everyone

Psychologically this engrains him as town to us, use of the collective pronoun to ingratiating us, while simultaneously cheering us for our non-accomplishment. This is the kind of joke scum make because it doesn't make anyone an enemy of you and lets you float right on by without any content.

The rest of his early d1 stuff is entirely unconsequential. Mock disgust at being called scum, and complaining about the length of d1. Then he moves on to baseless accusations that he really doesn't believe himself.
In those two posts, he throws shade in a jokey way at Nevergirls without dropping either a vote or reasoning (GrandiNote: Possible scumbuddy connection, if b-1 flips scum dig here) And then claims to have nabbed 2 scum in the next post in flerp and tobbs. The connection here is tenuous to say the least. Some context here is this is where the Hal stuff really got moving, and he chooses to brush by it entirely commenting on the edges of conversation, trying to drop new stuff without any backing. Not willing to stick his neck out at all...

Another quick snipe at AC, nothing substansial, just some subtle shade to make sure suspicion is everywhere.

But don't worry, this is where jokephase ends according to b-1. Arbitrarily.

b-minus1 posted:

Agreed. Deadline for day 1 isn’t until Sunday. I wouldnt read too much into votes at this point.

Jokephase actually ends 10 posts down from this one. Hold on to your butts. Shits about to get real.

b-minus1 posted:

Since joke phase is over, I’m going to ##unvote

So after declaring joke phase is over, a super selfconscious unvote occurs. This is what was my intial ping of b-1, and on a reread, it is still super self conscious.
And once I voice my suspicions, he comes back super paranoid here.

b-minus1 posted:

you might want to check your scumdar if im giving you pings.

also, getting votes for stupid poo poo is basically a rite of passage for early d1. i think we are (hopefully) past that phase, which is why I decided to remove my flerp vote, which was made with zero sincerity.

The same type of behavior he displayed today. Which retriggered my vote. That if anyone thinks that he is scum, in a game where we are supposed to find scum with limited information, is bad... That is not only a bad response, but if you could deflect suspicion with trying to hold yourself above the law just because, it would make mafia an even shittier experience.

He then hops on the Opop bandwagon at just the right time with this post:

b-minus1 posted:

Very sus that RF disappeared after being called out.

##vote RF

He didn't disappear after being called out, he was already gone and then got called out. The vote reeks of scum seeing an easy d1 target, taking a low effort case and capitalizing. It is an easy vote that he thinks won't cause any blowback because it is defensible.

Then d2 is where the fun really begins. Following up on the above the law stuff from d1.

b-minus1 posted:

This is a very poor decision. What is your reasoning behind this? Or are you just throwing out a vote based on nothing, like flerp did

He response to Probst's vote which says he will follow up with suspicions is calling it a poor decision, and throws suspicion on the prevoius people who suspected him (flerp) while simultaneously undermining the upcoming cases on him.

b-minus1 posted:

im actually more suspicious of the people who seem to be attempting to start a wagon on me (asiina, grandicap) than the people who actually voted for me (stone cold and flerp). as far as I am concerned, there should only be one, at most two people with legitimate (though misguided) reasons to be suspicious of me. if said poster(s?) are town, then imo it is in your best interest to keep your suspicions to yourself for the time being. that is all i am going to say right now.

Anyone who raises suspicions of him is scum, and if you have suspicions of him you should keep them to yourselves. How does that foster a good game of mafia which is all about following up on your suspicions?

He tries to say that he is more suspicious of Asii and I, because we suspect, but didn't vote, than Probst and flerp, who did, be he calls out all 4 of us. Anyone who thinks he is beyond reproach has it in their best interest to keep quiet.
Do you know who actually talks like that? The actual mafia. It'd sure be a shame if something happened to you. Jesus, it just reeks with the undertone that if we don't fall in line, we might have an unhappy accident.

I'm going to revote here for emphasis, even though my vote is already on him.
##vote b-minus1

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

grandpa who woke you up from your nap

Actually, funny story, I was taking a nap on the couch when my wife woke me up to discuss my upcoming meat order from the butcher shop. I was none to pleased.
Ok, that story wasn't that funny, but I actually woke up from a nap ~30 minutes ago.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

##unvote

hm, you reminded me of something Grandi

b-minus1 posted:

im actually more suspicious of the people who seem to be attempting to start a wagon on me (asiina, grandicap) than the people who actually voted for me (stone cold and flerp). as far as I am concerned, there should only be one, at most two people with legitimate (though misguided) reasons to be suspicious of me. if said poster(s?) are town, then imo it is in your best interest to keep your suspicions to yourself for the time being. that is all i am going to say right now.

B- I'd like you to explain what you meant here about the "one, at most two people with legitimate (though misguided) reasons to be suspicious of me." I was waiting for this to be some weird night action bingo you were alluding to, then the mason stuff came up and I thought maybe you meant you were in the masonry, but you aren't, so now I don't know what you were implying here at all.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bifauxnen posted:

##unvote

hm, you reminded me of something Grandi

B- I'd like you to explain what you meant here about the "one, at most two people with legitimate (though misguided) reasons to be suspicious of me." I was waiting for this to be some weird night action bingo you were alluding to, then the mason stuff came up and I thought maybe you meant you were in the masonry, but you aren't, so now I don't know what you were implying here at all.

maybe he knew about the masonry.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

maybe he knew about the masonry.

You mean, he is on the scum team with a masonry member?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Hey guys I'm working on homework that is turning out to be much more challenging than I expected. The due date is tonight at 11:59. I'm hoping to have it done by 1030-1100. I'll be able to read and catch up then.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Grandicap posted:

You mean, he is on the scum team with a masonry member?
if he is it would explain his weird breadcrumbing there

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. F! posted:

Hey guys I'm working on homework that is turning out to be much more challenging than I expected. The due date is tonight at 11:59. I'm hoping to have it done by 1030-1100. I'll be able to read and catch up then.

gimme ur gun

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Grandicap posted:

As all great posts begin, this one starts in jokephase:
Psychologically this engrains him as town to us, use of the collective pronoun to ingratiating us, while simultaneously cheering us for our non-accomplishment.

lol

quote:

The rest of his early d1 stuff is entirely unconsequential.

no poo poo.

i started to go through this line by line, but gave up after I got to this point. You're really trying to make a case against me by using early day one jokeposts as evidence that im scum.

i've already explained why I was aggressive early today. A wagon was starting to form on me, and I was frustrated.

Bifauxnen posted:

this sounds like rolefishing.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

if he is it would explain his weird breadcrumbing there

hmm. so if i were scum, and i knew about a masonry, then the first thing i would do is leave a breadcrumb informing the thread of this :rolleyes:
Here's all I'm going to say: the presence of a masonry is annoying to me only because it guarantees that we gained nothing useful from my night action, even though the action was successful.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yyyyyyyyyyyup

##vote b-minus

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ur right we didnt get anything useful from ur night action of killing hated cop

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Smh

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

b-minus1 posted:

lol

no poo poo.

i started to go through this line by line, but gave up after I got to this point. You're really trying to make a case against me by using early day one jokeposts as evidence that im scum.

i've already explained why I was aggressive early today. A wagon was starting to form on me, and I was frustrated.

this sounds like rolefishing.

hmm. so if i were scum, and i knew about a masonry, then the first thing i would do is leave a breadcrumb informing the thread of this :rolleyes:
Here's all I'm going to say: the presence of a masonry is annoying to me only because it guarantees that we gained nothing useful from my night action, even though the action was successful.

Ok, let me explain why, if you are town, why soft claiming is bad.
The town is an uninformed minority. The reason to keep information from the town is that it is also keeping it from the scum, so if it reveals the existence of a powerrole that we don't already know about (rolecop on a non mason), then, sure keep it in your pants. Otherwise that information tells town something it doesn't know (good) and doesn't benefit scum in a meaningful way.
You softclaiming makes you a scum target, as they know you have a powerrole. This is only a good thing for a couple of gambits, like you are BP or a PGO.
So, unless there are a couple of small side low probability things happening, soft claiming just sets you up as a target, and does nothing to shift the information imbalance.

Now, as scum, soft claiming is good, it gives you options in your lie moving forward, you felt under pressure, so a claim can help alleviate that. But you also saw Hal's role, and know that standard roles might not be the thing here, so claiming something too ordinary might hang you. You are keeping your options open. When you come under fire again, you can flesh out your lie with more information available to you (extra flips and talking).

As scum, you very easily could have been setting up some sort of rolecop claim, when you got your information from being scum with a mason member rather than being a rolecop. By softclaiming early, you are setting up an evidentary chain for when you need to hardclaim, basically adding another block to the truthiness of the false claim.

Also, yeah, some of the early points in my case are flimsy, but thats what happens when you case chronologically, the early stuff has less weight. But you refusing to read it is loving peachy. And finally, when you softclaim you lose all rights to complain about rolefishing. You are telling someone to guess what is in your pocket, then calling them out for their insolence when they ask you what is in your pocket.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

You don't sound at all like frustrated town, you sound just like frustrated scum who feels they got caught on a technicality. Like, you feel that your scumgame has been good and town has gotten lucky.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Grandicap posted:

You don't sound at all like frustrated town, you sound just like frustrated scum who feels they got caught on a technicality. Like, you feel that your scumgame has been good and town has gotten lucky.

:agreed:

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Lol. you have to be scum.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

b-minus1 posted:

u just don't understand my emotions!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

u just don't understand my emotions!

lol but really though, if you're town remind me after the game to add something to my new sig I'm working up, so far I got this:

quote:

Things people have actually believed I would do as scum:

* Very conspicuously moving my vote off a scumbro who was at -1, to try and start up a new bandwagon on some innocent townie who had ZERO votes on them, when there was only 2 hours left till deadline anyway

* NK'ing my own scumbro (Emperor Gestahl even, in FF6) just for town cred on N2 after one team member was already lunched on D1, and I was already probably gonna be next up on the chopping block next day while he wasn't

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEoa4E-lWzM&t=46s

##vote b-minus1

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Ok drat it. I’ll loving hard claim. Would you give me a few minutes to type this up before hammering me. Unbelievable

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ur at -3 ur fineeeeeeee

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
well i was planning on going to bed now. the last thing i wanted was to wake up to a hammer. i started the day off with three votes, so that would just be par for the course

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
##vote b-minus

Grandicap posted:

And finally, when you softclaim you lose all rights to complain about rolefishing. You are telling someone to guess what is in your pocket, then calling them out for their insolence when they ask you what is in your pocket.

Exactly what I was thinking, and also that the most recent set of soft claims completely contradicted the obvious-to-me-as-relative-new-guy explanation of the earlier set of soft claims. (Sincerely not sure if I should elaborate more on this or if it's too much like speculating on town roles to be a good thing to do.)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

why do I have to be scum btw, b-minus? Is not buying your vague ~it would be bad news to vote for me~ softclaim at face value super nuts for a town to do? Is it more crazy than, say, counterclaiming the town cop?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thranguy posted:

Exactly what I was thinking, and also that the most recent set of soft claims completely contradicted the obvious-to-me-as-relative-new-guy explanation of the earlier set of soft claims. (Sincerely not sure if I should elaborate more on this or if it's too much like speculating on town roles to be a good thing to do.)

btw I've decided to abandon spreadsheeting this game just cause all this hint-hint stuff is going in one ear and out the other rn

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Bifauxnen posted:

btw I've decided to abandon spreadsheeting this game just cause all this hint-hint stuff is going in one ear and out the other rn

Well, if he's going to hardclaim my take doesn't matter anyhow.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
##unvote for the time being

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLRZ0dIvwHY

Thranguy posted:

##vote b-minus

You are still suss as gently caress jumping on this bandwagon booooiiiiiiii

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
im going to bed. claim typed up in word document, will post if i must. i'd appreciate if you would refrain from hammering me until tomorrow.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

b-minus1 posted:

im going to bed. claim typed up in word document, will post if i must. i'd appreciate if you would refrain from hammering me until tomorrow.

dude this is the equivalent of saying you'll be right back in a horror movie

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

b-minus1 posted:

i unvoted becuase u said u would ahhhhhhh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

Claim is typed up.
The pressure is on.
You're not going to post it until later.
You're delaying the game now.

Why would anyone not vote you at this point?

Getting quite sick of these "I will vig/reveal info in x hours time" claims out of D1 jokephase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
^^^Fine. I am a town-aligned role blocker.
N1: role blocked apostate courier. Was told that that my action was successful.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

##vote bminus

will go in depth in abt 3 hours
When I read this post, I thought that SC64 possibly watched apostate courier or tracked me to apostate courier. Which is why I posted this not long after SC64s post:

b-minus1 posted:

as far as I am concerned, there should only be one, at most two people with legitimate (though misguided) reasons to be suspicious of me. if said poster(s?) are town, then imo it is in your best interest to keep your suspicions to yourself for the time being. that is all i am going to say right now.
If apostate courier had a night action that I blocked, they would obviously be pissed regardless of alignment. Of course, they wouldn’t know that I specifically was the person who roleblocked them.
And like I already said, I thought SC64’s vote for me meant that he knew something about my night action. If he was a tracker/watcher, I was suggesting that they keep the role secret. If he claimed a watch/track role, then I would have to counterclaim, and then two town roles would be known to the scum.

Once the members of the masonries were made public, I realized that my n1 action had no effect (unless of course, the mason members have actions other than communication outside of the game thread). Which is why I posted this:

b-minus1 posted:

If you still vote for me, that’s on you.

After reading grandicap’s long post addressed to me, I can see why he tunneled me. Bif, however, has no excuse. Her game seems incredibly different than previous games. Which is why I will ##vote bif

• Locked thread