Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bean
Sep 9, 2001
What am I missing with Lost Spear? I want to be excited, but that game looks so fantastically generic that a $20 PlayStation rpg in 1998 has more on it.

I loved I am Setsuna, so this should be my poo poo. Everyone else is hype, but I feel like they’re seeing different trailers than I am. What’s so cool about this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So I picked up The Flame in the Flood and agree with the "buy it on a Steam sale" pov, honestly. I enjoyed it initially, but given the game mechanics it felt like it should have been about half as long as it actually ended up being-- it got to a point where there was no progression of mechanics, just a "well we're going to force you to land for more cold resistance armor because everything's getting colder as you go, because that's the only way we could figure out how we could force you to stop cruising straight to the end".

It's too procgen for a linear game, and too linear and unchanging for the roguelite it claims to be-- there's no "alternate builds" or anything beyond "do you crash enough to want to make your boat beefier before you upgrade the storage". The halfway point is also where the same-ness of the stops really starts to set in-- there's a handful of handcrafted areas or handcrafted half-areas, slapped randomly together in a way that makes you start to question "wait, wasn't I literally just here?" and the only way you'd know for sure is because the "world map" of the river effectively prevents you from backtracking.

It's a shame, because up to that halfway point or so it really was fun (and that halfway point actually had something that I thought was going to be an ending). The devs said that the Switch port had blown away their sales expectations so hopefully this is a stepping stone up to something more compelling and not a one-off.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Bean posted:

What am I missing with Lost Spear? I want to be excited, but that game looks so fantastically generic that a $20 PlayStation rpg in 1998 has more on it.

You're not missing anything, Lost Sphear looks like a generic bag of poo poo, and somehow looks worse than I am Setsuna, a game that can't figure out which game's plot it wants to rip off.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The animal crossing mobile game looks surprisingly good, I'll give it a try at least.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pocket Camp looks great, I am excited for this title. It's just New Leaf condensed into a mobile game which is perfect.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Pocket Camp looks great, I am excited for this title. It's just New Leaf condensed into a mobile game which is perfect.

That's what really gets me about it, it looks more or less like any other animal crossing game I've played.

edit: I still want animal crossing for switch though

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 25, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

THE loving MOON posted:

That's what really gets me about it, it looks more or less like any other animal crossing game I've played.

edit: I still want animal crossing for switch though

I hope AC Switch connects to this when that does eventually come out. I’m excited for this chill phone game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I could care about the mobile game. It looks fun and cute for what it is but seriously just do a Switch version. Pleeeaaaase.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Guys guys guys

Odysseeeyyyyyyyyyy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wef0OjBuOTc

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
why isnt it just a normal game, on your cellphone for whatever one time price instead of this grey area "its not skinner box manipulation but it sorta is" crap

jesus christ nintendo

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
omg yesssss. I feel so spoiled, Warriors and Mario come out within a week of my birthday, doom next month are you friggin kidding me

edit: Because games you have to pay upfront to play don't sell and f2p does, on mobile at least. It's lovely, but eh. It's not gacha at least.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 25, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Blazing Zero posted:

why isnt it just a normal game, on your cellphone for whatever one time price instead of this grey area "its not skinner box manipulation but it sorta is" crap

jesus christ nintendo

Because people refuse to buy it?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Blazing Zero posted:

jesus christ nintendo

Because that’s how the mobile market is. They tried it with Mario Run and it made them less money than with Fire Emblem. It looks pretty generous with stuff and I play Animal Crossing games slowly anyways so it won’t bother me much I think.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Blazing Zero posted:

jesus christ nintendo

Nintendo tried that on Mario Run. Didn't work at all.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I am for one, am ready to play Super Mario Odyssey on my Nintendo Switch.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Pre-loadin' SMO right now. It's like Thursday night on Wednesday morning!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Blazing Zero posted:

jesus christ nintendo

Because unfortunately, it's what the market wants. They tried doing the one time price with Mario Run, and there was a huge backlash against it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What exactly are the microtransactions in the Animal Crossing mobile game?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly are the microtransactions in the Animal Crossing mobile game?

Tickets from Tom Nook that speeds up crafting/building stuff. You know, the usual microtransaction nonsense.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Slightly worried about SMO. I fear it'll just be a game where you collect stuff and nothing really happens, and ultimately end up rather boring.

SMG and SMG2 were some drat good iterations of Mario, SM3DW was dumb.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Slightly worried about SMO. I fear it'll just be a game where you collect stuff and nothing really happens, and ultimately end up rather boring.

yeah i'm always worried that cool looking games just end up being games where you do stuff

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
It makes me sad that my beautiful farm in Stardew Valley is going to be unattended due to a goddamn chubby Italiam plumber and his loving hat. Lets a-go!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where do I go for a refund on mummy demastered? I'll never give way forward a dime again.
It's so janky my guy will randomly shoot at angles and it's Medusa heads all the way down.

Nov 24, 2014

Blazing Zero posted:

jesus christ nintendo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the one hand this is stupid but on the other hand their name is Harmony Wolf so theyre much cooler than me

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I just played through a map on FE Warriors History mode using a gamecube controller and aside from not knowing where how to activate Awakening it worked fine. I guess I don't need to get a second set of joycons for 2p afterall.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

how many wolf

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BabyRyoga posted:

SMG and SMG2 were some drat good iterations of Mario, SM3DW was dumb.

Uh 3DW was fantastic wtf

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
3D World is the second best 3D Mario game

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Ah poo poo I had $10 eshop credit I had forgotten about. Time to preload Mario’s nips.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
So is Animal Crossing not supposed to be out yet? Because I was able to install it on my Pixel through the web Play Store

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Must be only for certain people? It's still just pre register for me.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
They put all(?) the miiverse drawings that were done in the farewell group together to make a gigantic image.

https://i.miiverse.nintendo.net/thank_you.png

:unsmith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blank Construct posted:

They put all(?) the miiverse drawings that were done in the farewell group together to make a gigantic image.

https://i.miiverse.nintendo.net/thank_you.png

:unsmith:

its cute until you zoom in and see stuff like mario hanging himself or a furry dragon with huge boobs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I found it weird the Switch didn't include a stylus to continue the Miiverse style fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Surely they didn't let you submit either of those drawings Endorph.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I haven't played stardew since the 4.0 update because it wiped a days progress (the first day of summer of which I'd spent ages tilling and organising and planting and watering and other stuff) and I can't be bothered to do it again but that's ok because Odyssey is out this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I kind of miss the doom and gloom posts from a year ago

• Locked thread