Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

All this privileged nonsense really makes me yearn for a competent feminist/minority RPG. Which rules out Bellum maga or whatever it was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

All this privileged nonsense really makes me yearn for a competent feminist/minority RPG. Which rules out Bellum maga or whatever it was called.

Monsterhearts? Masks? Take your pick.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Nah mang I gots me a hankering for a full on social-feminist uprising against the police state patriarchy.
Is there one game that sets out to do that and isn't Bellum maga?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Nah mang I gots me a hankering for a full on social-feminist uprising against the police state patriarchy.
Is there one game that sets out to do that and isn't Bellum maga?

Misspent Youth might be your cup of tea.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That looks legit, but he's not selling the pdfs yet :(
E: I guess I'll have to make do with the eyebleed version for now.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 25, 2017

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

That looks legit, but he's not selling the pdfs yet :(

Yeah, I just noticed--I thought the new PDFs had already gone on sale, sorry about that. TBH, though, I've read the free Eyebleed Edition on tablets/PC and it's perfectly serviceable until the new versions are released.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
And after the discussion of Harry Potter, the author of Witch Girls Adventures has resurfaced with an announcement of a supplement specially for that (Larry Spotter And The Secret Supplement)

Granted it’s probably just a bunch of obvious lists like most of the WGA supplements and still uses the same broken and transformation-obsessed system but there it is.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wapole Languray posted:

I'm amazed there's no mention of Lord of Light for Starfinder. Heck that it's not a bigger thing in RPGs period! You'd figure the concept of posthuman psychics using advanced technology to mimic mythology would be a big thing.

Incidentally, if you haven't read it. That is a great book.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's Zelazny's best.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're supposed to be able to use any of the standard d20 system monsters, except without any of the standard d20 system magic items, players are going to be hit way too often, will fail too many saves, and won't be able to hit as often.

I'm at work and can't check my books, but I seem to recall that neither player class in d20 CoC started with any weapon proficiencies (or maybe the Warrior started with just simple weapons) so if you didn't spend your single 1st level feat on weapon proficiency, you were making all of your attack rolls in combat with a default -4 modifier.

d20 CoC emulates the first level poo poo-farmer style gameplay of 3.0, but cranks the dial to TURBO poo poo-farmer because neither of the player classes have any special abilities and combat is going to be nearly impossible to win outside of extremely lucky rolls. this is also assuming that a cultist or zombie doesn't just one-shot a player on their action, because d20 CoC also used the instant death from massive damage rules where, if you take your CON score in damage from a single attack, you have to foll a Fort save or die! in a setting where handguns exist and are plentiful and it's extremely likely that any human villain you encounter is going to have at least several.

yeah, d20 CoC really did not want the players to actually play the game.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Whoever reviewed that here converted an average character from CoC Basic and they ended up a Level 17 monster.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm guessing that CoC D20 was designed to be really grim and punishing to head off "They turned CoC into D&D!" criticism.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You have a similar thing happening in Iron Heroes where the monster conversion notes are about :

* separating AC into Defense and Damage Reduction
* telling the DM to probably not use petrification effects and the likes because the players won't have any magic with which to remove those
* ... and that's it

You're supposed to be able to use any of the standard d20 system monsters, except without any of the standard d20 system magic items, players are going to be hit way too often, will fail too many saves, and won't be able to hit as often.

The smallest concession that they make is that a full-BAB IH class goes up to +25 BAB by level 20, to simulate getting the +5 to-hit from a weapon, but that means you're still missing the +5 damage, the AC from magic armor, the AC from a Ring of Protection, the AC from an Amulet of Natural Armor, the saving throw bonus from a Cloak of Resistance, and the +6 or so to stats from things like a Belt of Giant Strength or a Crown of Intellect.

All in a setting where you're not supposed to have these things because it's a gritty, low-magic setting.
At this point I will repeat, for the thousandth time, that the entire point of D20's existence was that you only have to learn one system and you can freely convert things from one game to another.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Kavak posted:

Whoever reviewed that here converted an average character from CoC Basic and they ended up a Level 17 monster.

That reminds me of the d20 version of Aberrant that they made and I bought a copy of out of some misplaced belief that they wouldn't gently caress it up. Spoiler alert: Oh god did they gently caress it up. Like I'm not even sure it's EVER possible to get as powerful as a character fresh out of creation in the original game, never mind recreating the setting's major characters and what they're supposed to be able to do using the new rules.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Wow, thanks for the info :ohdear:

I got the free copy SE gave out when David Bowie passed away and haven't played it yet.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Halloween Jack posted:

At this point I will repeat, for the thousandth time, that the entire point of D20's existence was that you only have to learn one system and you can freely convert things from one game to another.

the best thing is that d20 itself was designed with a lot of bad math, misunderstood design goals, and weirdly specific but unstated assumptions about how D&D should work, so when you try to bolt another setting onto it, the whole endeavor fails at the most basic level.

like, the disparity in power between a full-progression caster class and a martial-only class is inherent in the d20 system framework, so any other game that attempts to treat a type of character as the "caster" is automatically including all of the weird D&D-isms and implicit assumptions about casters into that character type, even if the previous version of the game in question didn't treat "caster" as inherently more powerful than non-caster.

I think if you stripped the d20 SRD down to just ability scores, a conceptual skill list, and the d20 resolution mechanic, you could have a generic enough system that might not pollute every other attempted game with D&D-ness, but as soon as you also include things like BAB and Saves and Feats and Caster levels in every d20 game, regardless of genre, you're too deep in the D&D pool to ever create anything other than "D&D but with X".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Leraika posted:

Wow, thanks for the info :ohdear:

I got the free copy SE gave out when David Bowie passed away and haven't played it yet.

I did too. I'm thankful to have never installed it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I do not to this day understand how David Cage parlayed "Wrote the music for Time Cop for the SNES" into a lead development gig but he did and Omikron is the first step on his journey of somehow falling upward.

If memory serves it manages to contain pretty much all the standard David Cage-isms like plots that fall apart, body swapping, bad female characters, bad minority characters and terrible puzzles. You know what, its just really, really bad. To the point where I owned it on the original DC and could not bring myself to play for more than the extremely confusing first 15 minutes.

I was blown away by the demo on PC. Hugely interactive, different routes to completing objectives, and hey, David Bowie. So I bought the game when I bought my Voodo3.

All of that detail and interactivity vanishes as soon as you leave the demo content. The rest is barely there, terrible shooter and fighting sequences, and the occasional infodump. Oh, and Bowie concert. Made it to the end boss through sheer, bloody stubbornness.

I never trusted a loving demo again.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 25, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kavak posted:

Back on topic, how egregious is The Last Exodus with women compared to White Wolf et. al.?

So TLE doesnt have a lot of narrative focused on individual humans and theres no mechanical distinctions between men or women (both for instance, can take the bonus that gives you big sexual characteristics). The issue is when they do exist its tropey and with such limited amount of them it doesnt work great. For instance the only female character in the setting and the one from the back of the book gets horribly well, uh fridged. The only non hetero character is a woman, the only sexualized deiform is a woman (unless youre into gun furries). You just read that line about a female character staring at her new boobs.

What I do notice on finishing the book though is there are no women as temptress or betrayers, and theyre always nurturing never sexual. The sexualized deiform picture is the closest it comes, and its countered later in the book with a non-sexualized version that makes way more sense for the character. The two main story women are mother gaurdians or inspiration givers. Even the villain woman is referred to as mother and cares for her children.

It goes real far with trying to have an innate purity in its women. In the books own “God cucked your dad” background the woman doesnt know it happened. Further if God is your mom she waits until you're 18 to dissappear.

This is obvious a bit of a leap but the book is dedicated in the memory of their recently at the time deceased mother so i believe that put a considerable emphasis on things.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That's a hilariously racist lion-man everything over there.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Mors Rattus posted:

It's Zelazny's best.

His short stories are the best. If qualifying best full-length novel, then yes. Lord of Light, the aforementioned Creatures of Light and Darkness, This Immortal, Eye of Cat and then Isle of the Dead is my personal ranking.

Hell, more games should do Zelazny-inspired stuff. His body of work is large enough, mechanical emphasis on narrative has improved leaps and bounds, and we're at a point where people are far more willing to experiment with weird mechanics and small, focused games with tight themes.

I think I have a contest idea brewing from this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kurieg posted:

That's a hilariously racist lion-man everything over there.

Good news! It gets so much worse next update.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hedningen posted:

His short stories are the best. If qualifying best full-length novel, then yes. Lord of Light, the aforementioned Creatures of Light and Darkness, This Immortal, Eye of Cat and then Isle of the Dead is my personal ranking.

Hell, more games should do Zelazny-inspired stuff. His body of work is large enough, mechanical emphasis on narrative has improved leaps and bounds, and we're at a point where people are far more willing to experiment with weird mechanics and small, focused games with tight themes.

I think I have a contest idea brewing from this.

I'll allow this. It's definitely his best full novel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I think if you stripped the d20 SRD down to just ability scores, a conceptual skill list, and the d20 resolution mechanic, you could have a generic enough system that might not pollute every other attempted game with D&D-ness, but as soon as you also include things like BAB and Saves and Feats and Caster levels in every d20 game, regardless of genre, you're too deep in the D&D pool to ever create anything other than "D&D but with X".
You certainly can, and pro-D20 people were fond of pointing that out. "D20 is just d20 +modifier vs. a target number, how can you be against that as a concept???"

Of course, by the time you hack the D20 system to actually suit your game, it's now effectively a new system that is not compatible with any other game.

D20 was implied to be replacing a lot of house systems that existed in the late 90s, many seemingly created with little forethought and no playtesting just for the sake of having one. The irony is that many of these systems were about as compatible with each other as D&D was with M&M, Spycraft, Everquest, and so on. They were mostly Attribute & Skill based systems that measured things on a 1-5 or 1-6 scale, so you could port stuff over even if the underlying die mechanic in each game was different! The result might not be balanced at all, but neither is porting D&D monsters into M&M.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Halloween Jack posted:

D20 was implied to be replacing a lot of house systems that existed in the late 90s, many seemingly created with little forethought and no playtesting just for the sake of having one.

that this implies that all D&D systems, both pre and post d20 SRD, were objectively good collections of rules that had been rigorously play tested across a variety of genres, and not just a hodgepodge of poo poo Gary came up with on-the-spot in Lake Geneva which then got carried forward in unquestioning perpetuity, is some delicious ironing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

gun furries

Does this mean furries with guns, or furries that ARE guns rather than a fox or whatever?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Halloween Jack posted:

You certainly can, and pro-D20 people were fond of pointing that out. "D20 is just d20 +modifier vs. a target number, how can you be against that as a concept???"

It's easy, D20s without any bell curve are too swingy to produce anything but a Keystone Kops level of silly results, which in turn has led to decades of people introducing ridiculous critical fumble houserules and the like to capitalize on the inherent humor of rolling the occasional 1. At a certain point every D20 game will result in a competent character made by an earnest player accidentally chopping their own dick off, and the momentarily flash of joy at the inherent silliness of it all will fade, leaving only the dim residue of a sense that this game we're playing is... a stupid joke. It's all a stupid joke! gently caress this pointless Earth!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I wonder when Paizo will announce Urbanfinder. It's Pathfinder, but set in the modern day. Complete with elves and magic!
Because they've already gone to space so they might as well try to corner the Urban Arcana market.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
To be fair, D20 was no better or worse than most systems that evolved to become multi-genre "universal" systems. Rolemaster (begat Spacemaster and MERP and a bunch of historical modules), RuneQuest (became BRP and drove Call of Cthulhu and Ringworld and Superworld and Stormbringer), GDW House (Twilight 2000 which was later used for Traveller TNE, Dark Conspiracy, and Cadillacs&Dinosaurs), Champions (grew into the Hero System), Storyteller (V:tM and reused and expanded to cover things like Aberrant and Exalted), Palladium's house system (OD&D houserules that became Palladium FRPG, Robotech, TMNT, Rifts, and a bunch of one-offs like Ninjas & Superspies).

Kitbashing your pre-existing system to fit another genre (no matter how clumsy or inappropriate) is a hallowed RPG tradition.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zereth posted:

Does this mean furries with guns, or furries that ARE guns rather than a fox or whatever?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Freaking Crumbum posted:

that this implies that all D&D systems, both pre and post d20 SRD, were objectively good collections of rules that had been rigorously play tested across a variety of genres, and not just a hodgepodge of poo poo Gary came up with on-the-spot in Lake Geneva which then got carried forward in unquestioning perpetuity, is some delicious ironing.
Certainly they weren't. But if you gave me godlike powers, and then put a god-killing gun to my head, and said "You have to travel back to the year 2000 and pick a roleplaying game, and that game's rules will be made into a universal system that dominates the industry for about 8 years," there are better games to pick than AD&D 2e.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

It's easy, D20s without any bell curve are too swingy to produce anything but a Keystone Kops level of silly results, which in turn has led to decades of people introducing ridiculous critical fumble houserules and the like to capitalize on the inherent humor of rolling the occasional 1.

So if this is the characterization of a d20, what about percentiles? 3d6-roll-under?

FMguru posted:

To be fair, D20 was no better or worse than most systems that evolved to become multi-genre "universal" systems. Rolemaster (begat Spacemaster and MERP and a bunch of historical modules), RuneQuest (became BRP and drove Call of Cthulhu and Ringworld and Superworld and Stormbringer), GDW House (Twilight 2000 which was later used for Traveller TNE, Dark Conspiracy, and Cadillacs&Dinosaurs), Champions (grew into the Hero System), Storyteller (V:tM and reused and expanded to cover things like Aberrant and Exalted), Palladium's house system (OD&D houserules that became Palladium FRPG, Robotech, TMNT, Rifts, and a bunch of one-offs like Ninjas & Superspies).

Kitbashing your pre-existing system to fit another genre (no matter how clumsy or inappropriate) is a hallowed RPG tradition.

The OSR is also really guilty of this: the B/X D&D framework has been remixed into as many genres as the d20 is (and yet people keep treating the "movement" as some kind of special "mindset" and not just a different RPG engine)

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
While I suspect that Genesys is doomed to obscurity without any good settings attached to it, the concept of using Fantasy Flight's Star Wars mechanics for other systems at least isn't striking me as an awful idea.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, there is some cargo-cultishness in just using a particular B/X or AD&D rule for some totally different thing in a different genre. For example, I think Hideouts & Hoodlums uses the Turn Undead table as a model for Golden Age supermen doing anything with super-strength.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

theironjef posted:

It's easy, D20s without any bell curve are too swingy to produce anything but a Keystone Kops level of silly results, which in turn has led to decades of people introducing ridiculous critical fumble houserules and the like to capitalize on the inherent humor of rolling the occasional 1. At a certain point every D20 game will result in a competent character made by an earnest player accidentally chopping their own dick off, and the momentarily flash of joy at the inherent silliness of it all will fade, leaving only the dim residue of a sense that this game we're playing is... a stupid joke. It's all a stupid joke! gently caress this pointless Earth!

I will say that how Alternity (the base system from whence Dark*Matter draws) handles critical success and failure is not bad for something made by TSR and thus married to the idea that 1 and 20 on the d20 are somehow important. A 1 (recalling that Alternity wants low numbers not high) on the base d20 turns a failed result into the least impressive sort of success but otherwise doesn't 'matter' (since the rules already allow for degree of success), and a 20 is 'something unlucky will happen in the near future, the failure of your current action due to unlucky circumstances if this makes sense but otherwise just keep it in reserve'. How it's worded to me says that if you're rolling a check that there was literally zero chance of failure in the search space of the dice, you don't have to just fiat 'nah you failed'.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 25, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I kind of like how Pendragon deals with the d20 scale; the system is actually built around an extended duel between knights in armor that will soak up most damage and you really only chip away at each other until you crit. Getting your skill higher just increases your crit band.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My favourite D20 mechanic is still Talislanta's, where the difficulty is relative to each contestant's stat, and there is a simple scale of Poor Result > Outstanding Result that you don't even need to consult a table for.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Valatar posted:

While I suspect that Genesys is doomed to obscurity without any good settings attached to it, the concept of using Fantasy Flight's Star Wars mechanics for other systems at least isn't striking me as an awful idea.

They recently an announced an Android: Netrunner sourcebook is in the works, which is apparently a big deal, given they managed to sell a ton of copies of a systemless setting book for it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

I think GURPS fared better than most because it evolved out of something that was extremely basic, but there's quite a bit it's bad at, like comic book supers stuff or, well, anything where high lethality is bad.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zereth posted:

I think GURPS fared better than most because it evolved out of something that was extremely basic, but there's quite a bit it's bad at, like comic book supers stuff or, well, anything where high lethality is bad.
GURPS was also developed from the start as a generic system (although it has clear roots in Hero/Champions and SJ's own previous The Fantasy Trip), which puts in a completely different category than the other games, which were single-genre game systems that were bludgeoned into working for other genres, much like D20.

And yeah, there are certain areas (esp. high-power settings like superheroes) where GURPS buckles and fails.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

One thing I'll say for d20: it's not HERO, and does not actually require a character builder program to handle chargen for you.