Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Thoatse posted:

We'll likely see the Road To Failure vid after their big 5hr's of nothing presentation this Friday

They got on Spectrum up, but none of the backers followed and now reddit is the official gathering place for citizens

It's Legal, not legal and if you want to talk about Derek's balls visit r/dereksmart

Ben is rounder than ever

Next stop: Failure Junction on the CitCon express!

Good poo poo.

But yeah, this year then. Fuckin' nothing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thoatse posted:

We'll likely see the Road To Failure vid after their big 5hr's of nothing presentation this Friday

Saddens me you don't buy into Robert's vision.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Don't kinkshame.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/923223326947987457
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/923234350988251139

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Thread veering back into gross creeplord territory again, citcon needs to hurry.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

jpegs of booze?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

If you get drunk on virtual $50 whiskey in-game, do you stop seeing all the bugs and stop getting annoyed that you're playing at 12fps? Great idea CIG! Do cocaine next! That will solve all your monetary problems for sure.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 25, 2017

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Can someone please record and YouTube the goon discord for citcon.

The gamescom one was great but I’m actually going out to get drunk with actual people in a pub instead of getting drunk with goons on The internet.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zakutambah posted:

Ben still round?

Yup

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

How the hell do you serve a whiskey "born" in 2947 within a game based in 2942?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Wow, they are really turning up the pressure on the whales. Gotta keep them from thinking about refunds. Even if it means spending backer cash on rotgut burbon delivered in a fancy box.

edit: wait, it's not even real? That is even better

Strangler 42 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 25, 2017

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Ramadu posted:

what is even happening here

Before Steam, DRM and Cd keys games had code wheels. On startup the game would tell you to put the wheel arrow on a specific nose art image and type in the code name of a specific plane. Making a copy of the wheel would take time and back then no color copier existed, thus making pirating game more of a hassle.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Hrrm, criticism of CIG.

Cymelion is clearly a deep cover Derek alt.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
DRM is bad

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Cloud Imperium Games UK Ltd filed their 2016 accounts today. Oddly the Companies House website now says they are processing for 5 days, but they were fully readable before. Here is my blog of things I made notes of as I browsed the accounts.

Consolidated
This year they filed their consolidated accounts. This means that rather than being just that company, the set of accounts is consolidated to include all the subsidiaries. Any transactions between subsidiaries/parent are cancelled out.

Intellectual Property
The accounts preparation improves year on year as errors get picked up. I've pointed out the IP issue before and it's now apparent what happened here.

On the 1st of July 2015 CIG UK paid £1,359,185 for Intellectual Property. This isn't entirely clear but the suggestion would be that this was for the worldwide rights to Squadron 42. The sale of intangibles for £654,612 was the US rights of Squadron 42 being sold to Cloud Imperium Games Inc. Because of apparent errors in earlier sets of accounts we can't be sure where that £1.36m actually went to, it could quite easily be to Chris Roberts himself, or a personal services company that is essentially himself.

Fixed Assets
These are actually broken down for the first time since they filed consolidated accounts. In the UK they've spent a little over £1m on computer equipment to December 2016. £400k on Fixtures and fittings. £300k improving the leased premises.

Goodwill
This is an accountancy term that represents the extra cash paid for an asset. If a company has a value of £34,851 and you pay £440,000 then in your company's set of accounts this is recorded as an investment of £440,000. In your consolidated group accounts however, you include the activities of the subsidiary. Because of this, you do not include that investment of £440,000. You reverse it out through a set of journals which includes the value of the assets at £34,851 and the goodwill figure of £405,149. The goodwill is then amortised (written off) over, in this example, a five year period.

As you have no doubt guessed, these are the actual figures for Cloud Imperium Games Ltd's purchase of Foundry 42 Ltd from Erin Roberts et al.

Related parties - mistakes
Note 20 on Related Parties Transactions. Accounting errors. All amounts are actually due to the respective companies, but they are in brackets so the lines that currently read "due from" are correct (Like a double negative).
It's an easy mistake to make, but it's surprising that a professional auditor wouldn't notice it instantly. All three disclosures should really read something like, "Amounts due (to)/from" and it would be easier all round to understand and avoid mistakes such as the one made.

Related parties - analysis
There's three US companies under Chris Roberts control that have transactions with the UK group. These transactions, from a standard accountancy point of view, are sort of nonsensical. The flow of money however keeps changing and changed again in late 2016.

1. Roberts Space Industries Corporation. This continues to be the main money pig. The UK group tells America how much to pay and they pay. "Costs recharged in the year" is turnover for the UK group. As the American company settles these, a balance remains. Because of poor planning, Roberts Space Industries Corporation has actually settled more costs than the UK has recharged. The balance comes down as they adjust (Compare 2015 and 2016).

2. Cloud Imperium Games, LLC. This one is interesting. In early 2015 it relinquished the role of funding the UK group that is now undertaken by Roberts Space Industries Corporation. Now we learn in late 2016 it has gone to being dependent on the UK group for financing. "Costs recharged in the year" is turnover for the UK group. In 2015 it is a positive and in 2016 the figure is in brackets, which means it is no longer turnover for the UK group but an expense. Apparently some US expenses were actually paid by the UK group, so this figure is netted off that which is due to the American company.

3. Cloud Imperium Games Texas, LLC. This is a brand new entry for the UK in 2016 and it only has one figure. "Costs recharged in the year" is turnover for the UK group. However, this is a figure in brackets, which means it is no longer turnover for the UK group but an expense. We know this was done in late 2016 because the amounts for both CIG US companies are relatively small and remain unsettled at the year end.

Related parties - conclusion
What this means is that they have once again refactored the way the money moves around the companies. All sales continue to be made and received by the US companies and flow to Roberts Space Industries Corporation where it is funneled to the UK and distributed in the UK but now, going forward some will then flow back to the US to pay for Cloud Imperium Games(, LLC and Texas, LLC). Pointless.

Financial Risk Management
"The Company does not actively use financial instruments as part of its financial risk management." I'm not sure how this ties into the reddit hivemind and the infamous Sunday panic statement by Ortwin. It seems pretty unlikely however that the "pay day loan" was some sort of hedge against currency exchange rates.

Completely Speculative Conclusion
Steps have been taken to change the flow of money. It appears going forward (and this means since December 2016) that perhaps nearly all the income is going to be funneled to the UK from the USA. Some of this is then moved back to the US to cover expenses in Texas and LA. This would have the appearance of higher income in the UK group. We know in 2017 that CIG UK put up a lot of collateral to secure loans. It would be in their best interest if the interim management accounts provided to banking institutions showed more turnover. Also beyond just the vanity of a higher turnover figure, there's the fact that the UK is now receiving its funding before studios in LA and Texas for example. The sort of thing a lender in the UK might stipulate.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

Thread veering back into gross creeplord territory again, citcon needs to hurry.

Yeah, that whiskey sure is underage.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

It's bullshit. CitizenCon is in 4 days and they're now making poo poo up wholesale in order to make sure funding isn't affected.

We get the inside scoop around the clock on my Discord channel. It's still poo poo all the way. And my sources were right. No way in hell 3.0 is ready inside of 6 months.

Right now, the only reason it goes above 20 fps is if you're ALONE and playing with yourself on an instance.

Are you saying that avocado QA thing is false?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Roflan posted:

Yeah, that whiskey sure is underage.

I was definitely talking about the whiskey and not more reddit citizen dossiers from the resident creep.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

aleksendr posted:

Before Steam, DRM and Cd keys games had code wheels. On startup the game would tell you to put the wheel arrow on a specific nose art image and type in the code name of a specific plane. Making a copy of the wheel would take time and back then no color copier existed, thus making pirating game more of a hassle.

Best ones had the red glass reader. They were all easy to crack. So were the Amiga ones. Just basically put a JMP in or zero the coded words in the code where they sat and it would accept the null. EA's protection relied on the head knocking of the 1541 drive in the C64 days. Trivial to circumvent. The latter didn't even need code changes during a disk copy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mr.Tophat posted:

Ok!!!

From the top, psalm 42

JOY TO THE VERSE
COMMANDOS PLEDGE
TO VISION, THE DREAM, THE SCAM!

Ah, I see you’re still using the Old Testament version.

New King Roberts version goes like this:

JOY TO THE VERSE
COMMANDOS PLEDGE
TO VISION, THE DREAM, THE BUY MORE (link to store)!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

The Titanic posted:

Ah, I see you’re still using the Old Testament version.

New King Roberts version goes like this:

JOY TO THE VERSE
COMMANDOS PLEDGE
TO VISION, THE DREAM, THE BUY MORE (link to store)!

I will only accept this version if (link to store) is a baritone

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I’m pretty sure nobody immediately thinks of either of those games, unless you’re over 35. Even then though, you’re probably thinking more recent stuff that is available today like X series, Everspace, Stellaris, and probably a handful of space themed games like Dead Space or CoD:IW.

I don’t mean to burst bubbles, but the torches have passed on regardless of what modding communities continue to do.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mass Effect

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

When I think of space games, I think of shuffling ever so slightly closer at regular intervals to people waiting for buses and placing bets on how many shuffles (I call them micro-aggressions) I can make before they shuffle away or get mad at me

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

My record is twelve, and the person I shuffled towards? My ex-wife.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

My record is twelve, and the person I shuffled towards? My ex-wife.

Did you ban her?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mr.Tophat posted:

When I think of space games, I think of shuffling ever so slightly closer at regular intervals to people waiting for buses and placing bets on how many shuffles (I call them micro-aggressions) I can make before they shuffle away or get mad at me

You can also do this at stop lights, stop light 15 feet away from the car ahead of you and see how many times you can get the car behind you to inch forward.

fritzgryphon
Jul 15, 2017

by Lowtax

quote:

Overloading a ship with more cargo is certainly something a lot of pilots have asked for, and its something we’re going to support. Because cargo will be able to be lifted and placed by hand, the player won’t need a cargo grid underneath them in order to place it, meaning they can release those commodities anywhere.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16204-The-Shipyard-SCU-And-Cargo-Capacity

I so want to see people think they are gaming the system by filling up every corner of their ship with piles of physical boxes. Then when they try to clear a path to their seat they, and all the boxes, glitch out into space in a massive explosion.

edit: Along with the rest of the crew, the car, the snub fighter they were carrying and the space station they are sitting on.

fritzgryphon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 25, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sillybones posted:

Too many examples of this. The devs are officially making up what they are doing to mess with her.

I don’t mean to burst more bubbles, but it’s a pretty safe bet to assume that anything the Sandi Gardner twitter account posts related to SC, and associated pictures, were probably not taken by her, or the comments written by her.

It’s probably just an intern trying to not get in trouble and doing what he or she is told to do. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is good for Star Citizen because

..anything and everything that prolongs CIG from having to put gameplay money or hours into buying Item X is good for Star Citizen.

The second they say anything about that you’ll have people everywhere exploding on them, but you’ll also kill your income because now Item X can be bought in game instead of with a credit card.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Did you ban her?

Actually, I married her! :haw:

big nipples big life posted:

You can also do this at stop lights, stop light 15 feet away from the car ahead of you and see how many times you can get the car behind you to inch forward.

You have given me a reason to learn how to drive, thank you

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bofast posted:

It's ok, friend. You're pretty good at developing sinking feelings, at least :)

:sureboat:

I’ve got you covered (in water), friend! :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I don’t know who this guy is, but it’s cute that his look in the picture is identical to the one in his avatar. :3:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

How is that box suppose to close when the bottle goes past the lid?

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

shrach posted:

"The Company does not actively use financial instruments as part of its financial risk management." I'm not sure how this ties into the reddit hivemind and the infamous Sunday panic statement by Ortwin. It seems pretty unlikely however that the "pay day loan" was some sort of hedge against currency exchange rates.

If you are going to hedge currency you do it on the futures market. Let's say I'm in the US, but going to make a big purchase in Australia or pay a company for services in Australia in 6 months. Let's say it's AUD 1M. Well if I want to lock in my costs for that expense I'll buy AUD 1M today for delivery in 6 months. This way I take speculation out of it and I've locked in my cost.

We do the same thing with our crops on the farm. Generally prices are higher next summer than right now. We typically book 80% of our expected yield on the futures market. This way we've locked in and instead of costs have locked in expected revenue. We roughly know how much we are going to make so can make other decisions, like whether to repair an existing combine or buy a new combine, based on that knowledge. The remaining 20% we'll book either after it is in the bin or wait and sell based on spot price.

Example, let's say we expect to harvest 40,000 bushels of rice. We'll book 30k bushels on the futures market. But then after harvest we might only have 38000 bushels because 40 acres flooded or it might be a bumper year and we ended up with 42,000 bushels. We'll book that addition 8k or 12k or whatever after it's harvested and in the bin.

Taking out a loan like they did is something you do if your business has short term cashflow issues. And cashflow in business is king more so than profit. I've seen profitable businesses go bankrupt due to cash flow issues.

SpaceCurtisLeMay fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 25, 2017

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

To be clear I have never married anyone, except this thread

Derek won't keep us apart anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eldragon posted:

Hrrm, criticism of CIG.

Cymelion is clearly a deep cover Derek alt.

Just imagine yourself polishing cig's knob for years. Spending lots money, sending gifts, and being the best citizen / cheerleader ever and *not* managing to get an invite to evocati. Even after you begged for one and began to produce a shitload of bug reports in order to prove your worth and get in.

I would be salty too.