Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

codenameFANGIO posted:

That’s just The Kurgen

There are worse things to do than take your villain and go "Lets make him glam rock as all gently caress", and Into the Badlands should be commended for their choice and support of the eyeliner industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lid posted:

How did Finn Jones get cast

The other three netflix were made for their roles, and some of the bit parters too (Scott Glenn as Stick) not even including villains

Finn and Elektra are the standouts for the wrong reasons

Given everything that's been said about him I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Perlmutter forced the issue based on a couple of head shots.

I mean it seems unfair to lay everything on his door step, but with all the poo poo people are willing to talk about you just know there has to be worse poo poo people are sitting on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

wiegieman posted:

Badlands is a great kung-fu show that has a plot you sit through for the sick kung-fu fights.

Though it is wire-fu, so it depends how much you like that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lycus posted:

lalala cant hear youuuu

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lycus posted:

Even wire-fu stuff is really hard for actors to do so it still impresses me, and they do a lot of great non wire work too. I'm just here to see people be overwrought and badass at each other with sharp metal things until somebody dies.

I think part of the problem with Marvel Netflix is that it tries to draw from that well, but the people in charge are too hesitant/incapable/inflexible enough to go all the way with it. Superhero shows, like kung-fu movies, should be completely overdone. Every character should be larger than life, like some kind of Arthurian tragedy.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 23, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
But again, it’s only fair to mention that the decline in action sequences between ItB S1 and S2 is substantial, at the very least it’s way more noticeable than the decline in fights between DDS1 and DDS2. I was very much Into the Badlands, so to speak, but only made it two episodes in before I realized the guy who did all the good fight scenes clearly wasn’t involved anymore.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bust Rodd posted:

But again, it’s only fair to mention that the decline in action sequences between ItB S1 and S2 is substantial, at the very least it’s way more noticeable than the decline in fights between DDS1 and DDS2.

The Netflix shows have been mostly very good but they'd better rally pretty soon and simplify it a tad. Dial it down and get back to basics. The best ones have used this approach (JJ, DDs1, LC 1st half). I have high hopes for Punisher and DDs3 getting us back on track. Seems like somewhere around 2/3 through Luke Cage they stopped giving a poo poo somehow and started coasting.

Until this thread, I never even knew what a "showrunner" was or why it mattered.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
This is going to be Stargate all over again. I can feel it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BiggerBoat posted:

The Netflix shows have been mostly very good but they'd better rally pretty soon and simplify it a tad. Dial it down and get back to basics.

Getting complicated isn't why Iron Fist and Defenders suck.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Until this thread, I never even knew what a "showrunner" was or why it mattered.

I don't know when "producer" suddenly became insufficient, it's the same drat thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McSpanky posted:

I don't know when "producer" suddenly became insufficient, it's the same drat thing.

A show can and often does have multiple producers. A show will typically only have one showrunner. And the showrunner generally has higher creative authority/responsibility than the producers anyhow.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Producer credits started being handed out more freely for financiers and as simple honorifics. Stars of shows for instance, often become Producers on their shows over time, and while they may have some input over their character, they aren't the final word.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah, a showrunner-producer will be on set nearly every day (good ones at least) and can approve or change things during filming instead of leaving that to the director/AD, who may only work for one episode. This person will work closely with the script coordinator in the office and the script supervisor on set to make sure the show is fulfilling the vision of the writers/creators. This is in contrast to the Line Producer (the “produced by” credit)/Unit Production Manager/Assistant Director hierarchy, who exercise very little creative input and who mostly serve to manage the studio’s money. On shows without a designated showrunner, the directors have much more creative power, which can be a detriment because they change so often. Their feedback comes from the creative producers watching the dailies in the office, which has a significant lag time and can prevent things from being reshot, which is much easier and cheaper on the day than scheduling reshoot days.

Showrunners are good.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Not all of them.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
I just binged through all of Into the Badlands and I gotta say that Nick Frost made a much more convincing kung fu superhero than Finn Jones

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah but the kung fu fights in the second season really pale in comparison with the ones in the first, to the point that it's hard to justify suffering through the bargain bin GoT plots just to watch those fights.

(Ugh, I don't like picking on this show because I respect what it's done and is still trying to do (also Daniel Wu is from my hometown :buddy:), but the decline in production and narrative quality was so steep over such a short period of time that it's like watching Arrow in high-speed. And with the next season having as many episodes as the first two combined, I just can't imagine it climbing back to its former heights.)

that season 2 fight is obviously being played for laughs.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, I laughed at the poor child actress in a cheap wig trying to twirl knives and do lovely-looking stances that were probably choreographed fifteen minutes before filming while strapped into obvious wires with INTENSE ASIAN ACTION MUSIC drumming away in the background, but that's probably not what they were going for.

The show has other funny action scenes (okay yeah, even in the second season); the problem with the one I linked is that it's so poorly put-together that it looks like it's a whole different universe from the rainy swordfight.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i finished season 1 of badlands

season 2 isn't on netflix

where do i find it. i need to watch more

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Looks like it's watchable on Amazon if you really want to.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Looks like it's watchable on Amazon if you really want to.

my hero

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lycus posted:

Are we talking wire-assisted stunts, or whatever the hell is going on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3xO4jufacE&t=5348s

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just rewatched the Person of Interest episode The Devil's Share on a whim and I no longer need any other Punisher adaptations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

docbeard posted:

I just rewatched the Person of Interest episode The Devil's Share on a whim and I no longer need any other Punisher adaptations.

Is that the Rampage of John episode? If so, kind of agree.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
D'Onofrio confirmed for Daredevil season 3, Erik Oleson taking over as Daredevil showrunner

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Who is Erik and what has he done

e. Arrow. He worked on Arrow. jfc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HIJK posted:

co-exeuctive producer on 23 episodes of Arrow, executive producer on 10 episodes of The Man in the High Castle

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HIJK posted:

The biggest thing he's accomplished in my eyes is Not Being Scott Buck

I have no idea who he is

HIJK posted:

e. Arrow. He worked on Arrow. jfc.

Oh, for fucks sake :negative:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

The biggest thing he's accomplished in my eyes is Not Being Scott Buck

I have no idea who he is

Oh, for fucks sake :negative:

Daredevil is hosed. rip.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

jivjov posted:

co-exeuctive producer on 23 episodes of Arrow, executive producer on 10 episodes of The Man in the High Castle

I noticed a significant quality drop in his High Castle season so this does not fill me with hope.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
this is going to be awful!!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Which season of Arrow was he around for?

fake edit: Season 3. The worst Arrow season. welp

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Klungar posted:

Season 3 had a great start, but took a nose dive immediately after the mid-season finale. Second half sucked.

...just like DD2 and LC. Which means he's extremely qualified for DD3!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Klungar posted:

I look forward to The League of Assassins The Hand making GBS threads up the season again

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I look forward to The League of Assassins The Hand making GBS threads up the season again

DD3 will have no ninjas

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

DD3 will have no ninjas

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

socialsecurity posted:

I noticed a significant quality drop in his High Castle season so this does not fill me with hope.

It looks like he did S2, which was a big step up from S1.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ll give you Scott Buck but just let it come out before you trash tier it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

BiggerBoat posted:

Elektra was good and the actor portraying her was perfectly fine. The writing was bad and the ninja poo poo was boring. I thought she was great and I don't even like the character.

I hated her personality and, thus is writing, the way her being in Daredevil's vicinity makes his iq drop 50 points and become a compulsive liar (which carried on to The Defenders for reasons i can not comprehend). I don't buy her as an assassin, i don't buy her as a villain (The Defenders her takeover was just... i wasnt invested in her or her story), dont feel chemistry between her and Matt, also THIS IS WHO I AM.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Also the new Daredevil showrunner is awful and i was utterly unsurprised to find out that The Defenders showrunners were the same as Daredevil season 2 as it had the same issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lid posted:

I hated her personality and, thus is writing, the way her being in Daredevil's vicinity makes his iq drop 50 points and become a compulsive liar (which carried on to The Defenders for reasons i can not comprehend). I don't buy her as an assassin, i don't buy her as a villain (The Defenders her takeover was just... i wasnt invested in her or her story), dont feel chemistry between her and Matt, also THIS IS WHO I AM.

You mean you don't like a hamfisted and stupid romance that destroys all the characterization of the protagonist and reduces him and the love interest to comical sitcom stereotypes???? you don't find it compelling for him to destroy his job and friendships for no reason at all except to get his dick wet????