Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MinorInconvenience posted:

Notice, my friends, that while Ortwin says it makes sense from a currency fluctuation perspective, he never outright denies CIG did it because of cash flow issues. Lying by omission... it's why all smart people loving hate lawyers.

It's why smart people hate everyone. You can see the big flashing 'I'm avoiding this' billboard drive past conversationally.

I take great pleasure in letting it sail by, then going directly for the jugular.

david... posted:

what’s the story here

They put up some of the company for collateral against a loan leveraged from a 'private' bank called Coutts & Co, ostensibly against a tax credit offered by the British government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
QA Portalarium Aug 2012 – Feb 2013
Senior QA Cloud Imperium Games Oct 2013 – Jan 2015
QA Lead Cloud Imperium Games Jan 2015 – Jun 2015
Associate Producer of LiveOps & IT Cloud Imperium Games Jun 2015 – Nov 2016
Project Manager Cloud Imperium Games Nov 2016 – Present

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Counterpoint;

He then went on to reference the Amy Cuddy talk from TED and using the word 'science' a lot.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

AP posted:

Sounds like a good company. Plenty of room for advancement. Just think, apply and wave your hands enough and you might even be CEO by 2020.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Zakutambah posted:

Good poo poo.

But yeah, this year then. Fuckin' nothing.

You might even go so far as to say that this year has been a giant loving nothingburger.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hav posted:

Counterpoint;

Additionally:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

Additionally:

I love his quirky ways and passive aggressive anger.

I missed some taxxe:

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 25, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So wait it’s fake booze you can only drink in-game. I thought they’d do something cool like partner with a local brewer to give their special members a bottle they all crack open and toast when the final game drops or something

But of course, there was never a real game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Counterpoint;

He then went on to reference the Amy Cuddy talk from TED and using the word 'science' a lot.

Countercounterpoint

I'm in Europe, have no clue what any of that means and have zero desire to learn.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drunk Theory posted:

Great perks!

It'll totally set off my towel and fishtank. You know, the fishtank, the humorous homage du the game before the last mass effect. No, the one before that. Yes, you've got it. The one with the amusing Salarian and not the one with the entire race that's poo poo itself.

Edit: ^^^ Scott Adams is a trumpesque edge-lord who delights in misogyny. You're welcome, even though you said you didn't care.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 25, 2017

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Hav posted:

It'll totally set off my towel and fishtank. You know, the fishtank, the humorous homage du the game before the last mass effect. No, the one before that. Yes, you've got it. The one with the amusing Salarian and not the one with the entire race that's poo poo itself.

That's the one where the fish swim on the outside of the tank yes? Have they fixed that yet?

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

AP posted:

Not really gonna comment on CIG in general, but there is nothing out of the usual for this type of advancement in my experience. Going from QA/Senior QA -> QA lead -> Project manager/PM in 3 years isn't that unheard of, it's a fairly normal career path for weirdos who enjoy Jira.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

AP posted:

Countercounterpoint

I'm in Europe, have no clue what any of that means and have zero desire to learn.
Looks like somebody has spent too much time kneeling and is therefore scientifically predisposed to losing. That kind of attitude won't get you far in the 'verse.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Taintrunner posted:

So wait it’s fake booze you can only drink in-game. I thought they’d do something cool like partner with a local brewer to give their special members a bottle they all crack open and toast when the final game drops or something

Well they tried to make Star Citizen booze but they couldn't quite work out the methanol:ethanol ratio

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

AP posted:

Countercounterpoint

Same.

Probably best that Americaland comes back under control of the Empire tbh

An entire nation deciding between Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton for their leader was like watching the elephant man deciding which side to part his hair on

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drunk Theory posted:

That's the one where the fish swim on the outside of the tank yes? Have they fixed that yet?

Last time I deigned to download the client they'd shifted it, but I didn't check the fish. I ran around the outside of the hanger, delighted at how damned difficult it was to control, and how the head tracking was *hosed*, logged out and deleted the client. I'm waiting on V3.0 to do some packet analysis.

As you can imagine, it's been a bit of a wait.

SomethingJones posted:

An entire nation deciding between Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton for their leader was like watching the elephant man deciding which side to part his hair on

Jokes on you, Western European Theater.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 25, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Were the fish doing parkour yet

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Taintrunner posted:

See, that would cost money, something CIG is short on right now. But a picture of booze? You can have an intern whip that up and hand out copies willy-nilly. And everyone who receives a picture of expensive booze will feel just as good as if they had received the real thing. It's selling pictures of ships to gullible nerds and then giving them pictures of perks to make them feel special.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Clearly there's one of these laws at work here where the more ridiculous and stupid an idea is the more money gamers will pay for it

Crobbler's Law

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
"A fan that blows hot air in your face when there's red on the screen? No one will buy that"

"An $850 spaceship in a game that doesn't exist? No one will buy that"

Crobbler's Law mate, Crobbler's Law

"TAKE MY MONEY"

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I was reminded today that Roberts had his companies pay himself £2 million for the rights to his own game. If there's any justice he kept it all in pounds and is now crying about the exchange rate as he tries to find countries without extradition treaties.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

fargom posted:

Not really gonna comment on CIG in general, but there is nothing out of the usual for this type of advancement in my experience. Going from QA/Senior QA -> QA lead -> Project manager/PM in 3 years isn't that unheard of, it's a fairly normal career path for weirdos who enjoy Jira.

I have a gimmick going based on what roles QA guys from years ago have now.

AP posted:

2010 QA tester on lego games > 2013 Lego games production > 2015 CIG Project Manager > 2017 CIG Senior Producer

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

:dance::dance::dance:

I'm excited, but not for the reason you think, CIG!

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Toops posted:

You might even go so far as to say that this year has been a giant loving nothingburger.

Just like last year. Once they add moons and cargo crates to their broken proof of concept though, you'll be sorry.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

PST posted:

I was reminded today that Roberts had his companies pay himself £2 million for the rights to his own game. If there's any justice he kept it all in pounds and is now crying about the exchange rate as he tries to find countries without extradition treaties.

The fact that Robert Space Industries and Roberts Space Industries are both registered companies in this money shifting scam should set off alarm bells too. Licensing their own IP to themselves is just the tip of the iceberg.

However whenever brought up, Shitizens believe it's totally normal for a studio working on their first game have 17+ LLCs and corporations registered. This whole saga is just laughable how pathetic it is. Instead it is Frontier, the makers of Elite, who are ruining PC gaming with their cash grabbing! I mean, come on, they have 3 different large games in the works now and still only have Frontier Developments plc and Frontier Developments Inc. registered as their corporate entities. Totally pathetic way to run a business.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 25, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Lladre posted:

How is that box suppose to close when the bottle goes past the lid?

It's cig so it just clips right through

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ZenMaster posted:

Please forgive my ignorance. Tell me I am being stupid if so but...

What is this idiotic "stress testing" they keep doing? My word, either it works with fifty players or it doesn't. Like do they think the game will break if you fly through a canyon with others but not alone? In all those notes what the hey hey are they stressing?

Isn't stress testing not about breaking the game but making sure the instance player limit doesn't destroy the FPS?

I'm pretty sure cig stress testing is testing how much stress backers can take before they stop throwing money at their screens

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

hot balls man no homo posted:

Every year Foundry 42 in Britan gets a tax credit for making a game with a certain amount of "Britishness" in it. Based on what they earned last year it was estimated to be around 5 million this year, payable in the fall. However! The took out a loan from Coutts bank sometime earlier this year for an advance on the tax credit they were going to receive. They just had to put up all the Squadron 42 assets as collateral in the event that they don't make it to the fall to cash in that tax credit.

Essentially they risked their whole company for a month of funding, not unlike getting an auto title loan to pay your electricity bill. It might keep the lights on but you are in pretty bad shape if you're even considering it.

They hedged brexit, because the value of that credit may have dissipated by that time.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rad Russian posted:

The fact that Robert Space Industries and Roberts Space Industries are both registered companies in this money shifting scam should set off alarm bells too. Licensing their own IP to themselves is just the tip of the iceberg.

And selling concepts back to the company, ala Erin. The expense account has to be loving amazing, because there's little to no chance that they've dipped into the money pool.

I'd keep an eye on which of those becomes the shell.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

ManofManyAliases posted:

They hedged brexit, because the value of that credit may have dissipated by that time.

Who the hell are you trying to fool dude.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

PST posted:

This is something I don't understand at all - if they created Foundry to build the game then charged them for the license... where did Foundry get the £2 million from? Did they go into £2 million debt right off the bat to develop a game for the brother of the guy who runs the studio? But then didn't CIG buy Foundry outright further down the line anyway?

Why sell them the license when you are contracting them to build the game that the license covers anyway?

Absolutely none of this makes any sense to me

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

BloodyScab posted:

Himself?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

SomethingJones posted:

This is something I don't understand at all - if they created Foundry to build the game then charged them for the license... where did Foundry get the £2 million from? Did they go into £2 million debt right off the bat to develop a game for the brother of the guy who runs the studio? But then didn't CIG buy Foundry outright further down the line anyway?

Why sell them the license when you are contracting them to build the game that the license covers anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JcZ8QFn6U0

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

I can answer that SomethingJones, -----> Limited ........ Edition ............ Porsche.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

BloodyScab posted:

He's saying that Croberts is actually smarter than a large financial institution and totally fooled them on currency hedging with that deal. Croberts is goddam financial genius! All those years at a car dealership fleecing grandmas on auto loans really paying off.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

Economic effects from Brexit won't happen until after a general election in 2020 (according to Cambridge University) and that's IF Brexit happens at all. This had NOTHING to do with Brexit.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

BloodyScab posted:

MoMA's posts aren't intended for goons, they are intended for backers who browse through the thread and need to see something at least trying to counter the expostion of CIG's ridiculous scam.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Redundant posted:

Looks like somebody has spent too much time kneeling and is therefore scientifically predisposed to losing. That kind of attitude won't get you far in the 'verse.

A man tposed, vibrating
He stands on two feet
Stronger than man who is not

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ManofManyAliases posted:

Amazing how they are smarter with money versus development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sure. That's why. Not because of money trouble. Mind if I quote the poo poo out of you?

ManofManyAliases posted: