Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

Keep it up, Captain Planet!

Will do Sir!
Actually not having a car is the main factor really. (My flights are Germany UK though, to be a stickler)

However, the reason I turn all my electronics off is that all my entertainment stuff is on extension cords with surge protection and an off switch. I press one button the whole tv cabinet is off. Leaving all that on would be a lot. TV, PS4, Xbox 360, steam link, stereo, network switch. I'd rather have that off when it is not in use.

I once estimated the Xbox alone can cost up to 30€ a year if it is in standby 24/7. Combine that with the ps4 and the power costs are the equivalent of a full year of ps+.
If that isn't a compelling argument I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the xbonx has 40% more power than a ps4 pro and 100% savings in power usage while playing gay anime therefore it’s 6000 time more efficient

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Also in Be any will sell the following PS4 games for 19.99€ each from tomorrow:

Knack
Uncharted 4
Last Guardian
Wipe out Omega collection
Ratchet and Clank

I will buy 2 of those, and am leaning towards buying Knack twice of course.

Seriously, I will get Wipeout and one more, either Ratchet and Clank or the last Guardian. I like the old R&C games and I also enjoyed ICO.
Which is the better game to sit and have fun with, I hear TLG can be frustrating because the controls are vague sometimes.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

I turn off electronics because power costs money in the same way as fuel does. I don't need a car either which is nice, but I try to turn off everything for my wallet's sake.

Cool stuff. The post I was responding to was talking about collective PS4 power consumption and the impact it has on the environment, not individual purchasing decisions and the impact they have on your wallet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's both. Playstations aren't the only consumer electronics you can turn off to save power and money.

Also saying "yeah but at least I'm not X and Y" is a dumb way to justify being wasteful.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Have you considered u might be insane

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ethanol posted:

Have you considered u might be insane

I don't know who you are talking to but saving $140 a quarter by switching poo poo off seems sane to me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

$140? Lmao my power bill is less than that total quarterly. For somebody who is environmentally conscience u sure are a hog

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I live in Australia. Bills running $500 a quarter aren't unusual.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You should generate clean power fro ur piss4 using a bicycle generator so you can also stop getting owned by ur country/powecompany

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My best effort is not using a/c when it's 104 American degrees outside.

E: which is probably more because i had an air conditioner blow up while I was playing RE4 and it filled the house with smoke and scared the poo poo out of me. An immersive experience.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 25, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just leave my PS4 all the way on all of the time because I don't like waiting for rest mode to boot up.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

I don't know who you are talking to but saving $140 a quarter by switching poo poo off seems sane to me.

How much energy was spent manufacturing all that stuff so that you can feel good about turning it off to save $140? Energy use and carbon emissions are collective and holistic problems that can't be addressed adequately by shaming individuals for whatever energy use you happen to be talking about at the time. If you start looking at the problem collectively and holistically, you quickly see that PS4 rest mode isn't in the top 1000 list of problems. We still burn coal in the US for gently caress sake. If you limit your criticism to just "you'll save money if you use less energy", then you're leaving yourself open to the response of "I have the money and I'll spend it how I see fit."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ultimately you’re not really making a difference. The vast majority of the waste is happening at the industrial level.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I don't care if someone uses rest mode or not, but I'm always mindblowned by the people who unplug their console/TV or whatever. Like how deep does that rabbit hole go? Do you unscrew your lightbulbs every night before bed?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

katkillad2 posted:

Do you unscrew your lightbulbs every night before bed?

Derail and besides the point, but what would be the (even hypothetical) point in that?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Anyone who doesn't spend half a thousand dollars upgrading their PS4 to a low-power SSD is an rear end in a top hat who hates the earth.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rinkles posted:

Derail and besides the point, but what would be the (even hypothetical) point in that?

If they're on a dimmer switch, there's always a small amount of current running.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
In order to maximise the efficient use of the embodied carbon and energy represented by my PS4, I simply play games on the system 24/7. However, I only play in offline mode in order to prevent feeding into the unethical demand driven growth of cloud computing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The planet is already dead, Cloud

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

acksplode posted:

How much energy was spent manufacturing all that stuff so that you can feel good about turning it off to save $140? Energy use and carbon emissions are collective and holistic problems that can't be addressed adequately by shaming individuals for whatever energy use you happen to be talking about at the time. If you start looking at the problem collectively and holistically, you quickly see that PS4 rest mode isn't in the top 1000 list of problems. We still burn coal in the US for gently caress sake. If you limit your criticism to just "you'll save money if you use less energy", then you're leaving yourself open to the response of "I have the money and I'll spend it how I see fit."

It's not shaming anyone or ignoring other contributing factors which are larger. It's just saving some money and also contributing to lower base load demand. If everyone contributed to lower base load demand our dumb poo poo government might spend a couple of bucks on renewables. Do whatever you like though, I just try to save some cash and also live somewhat aligned with my dead gay values.

I use rest mode over weekends and things where I know I'm going to need 40 hours for some downloads or whatever thanks to Australian internet.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

Dumb question: When 'turning off' the ps4, do I just leave it in rest mode every time, or only when I'm downloading something?

Montalvo posted:

This question crops up from time to time and leads to multi-page debates that are oddly :allears:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The PS4 runs only the ARM core bits in sleep which draws nothing indeed, but I turn PS4 and PC off entirely because I have experiences of random poweroutages doing things to electronics, even when they are supposed to be in safe sleep-modes. I also like to save a shitload of money on electricity, which seems to be another entry on the list of things most expensive in the world in Sweden. I'll turn on the PC and wait a few seconds every morning, I'll be fine, but nearly everbody across the Atlantic seem to have their life support systems tied to their electronics?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

This shen mission in xcom 2 is kinda making me want to restart, I can't beat the final rooftop fight and that kinda sucks considering the first 2 parts were cake. If I don't do it right away will it stay there forever? I've already restarted once, ugh.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I'm so sorry. :negative:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Sakurazuka posted:

I happily killed him and the rest and I'd do it again.

New thread title

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If all of you donated your $300-400 to education instead of buying a PS4 we’d probably be able to fund free tuition for years. But you’re all guilty of buying a bad console isntead

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Has anyone had videos that you tried to upload that would instantly fail to upload? I've cleared my account link to youtube and relinked the account several times. My upload and download notifications are completely empty. I'm in the middle of rebuilding the database for the second time.

At some point months ago I had this issue where it would have me link my youtube account, go to hit upload then be told to link the youtube account again and get stuck in that loop. That eventually went away. But now with this it's been since the beginning of September and I still can't upload a single video to youtube, but I can upload any screenshots I want to Facebook.

Error Code CE-39896-5 when I view details on the failed upload. After I relinked my account and tried again I got WS-37527-4 but if I hit okay and try again it didn't give me that error a second time. Just went to attempt the upload and instantly fail.

Edit: Rebuild Database and still get the error.

Edit2: oh god the database rebuild has made the ps4 spam me with discovery notifications again.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 26, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
TLoU multiplayer should be called "THERE'S A MINIMAP YOU loving MORONS"

I am not very good at this game, but having played a shooter before, I have a basic concept of lines of sight and territorial control, which is seems a vast majority of players do not have.

My favorite tactics include "help the enemy flank us" and "congregate in their overlapping fields of fire"

My favorite thing that happened it when the guy in front of me got downed, but I was in the back, and there were two other team mates in front of us the downed guy fell back behind cover and I started reviving him. And then two teammates in front, which had been on either side of the door, also came back to help revive the guy. So the other team just walked in and shot us all.

edit: This is probably one of the best team-based shooters I've ever played, though. It's really elegant in its design.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

TLoU multiplayer should be called "THERE'S A MINIMAP YOU loving MORONS"

I tried the last of us awhile back. I met some folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuMB_aUo4M0

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You really have to squad up in TLOU unless you are really good. 75% of pubs are just cannon fodder and do more harm than good. Like I remember a round where we were handily winning a 3 v 4 round and someone dropped in at the end of the round, went 0-15 over the course of 4 minutes and we lost.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wolfenstein: The New Order is a direct continuation of the 2009 Wolfenstein game's plot and there are actually a ton of callbacks to that game, which itself was a sequel to the 2001 Wolfenstein game. There are a bunch of characters in the New Colossus trailer who are introduced and have a lot of plot importance in New Order.

I mean, this is all fluff that is minorly rewarding to people who played the old games or look stuff up on a Wikia but the posts claiming that the New Colossus is a remake are incorrect. The Wolfenstein series is actually suprisingly coherent as a saga

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 26, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The writing isn't amazing but is better than 80% if the games out there. Simple but makes sense (I think) as BJ is the same guy since Wolfenstein 3D. In fact RTCW pointed that a bunch of times, then Wolf09 pointing at RTCW events and so until New Colossus. Really cool for a 25 year old series (or at least main character).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

katkillad2 posted:

I don't care if someone uses rest mode or not, but I'm always mindblowned by the people who unplug their console/TV or whatever. Like how deep does that rabbit hole go? Do you unscrew your lightbulbs every night before bed?

My father in law is like this. Not as far as unscrewing lightbulbs but he will even switch the modem off if he's the only one in the house. He won't flush the toilet normally either, uses left over bath water to flush it instead...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

fridge corn posted:

My father in law is like this. Not as far as unscrewing lightbulbs but he will even switch the modem off if he's the only one in the house. He won't flush the toilet normally either, uses left over bath water to flush it instead...

Good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know I'm in the minority but I thought TNO was pretty unremarkable. The shooting was pretty good, but I thought the story, pacing and mechanics were kind of clunky. it was mostly pretty solid, but I got bored and quit on the moon.

The footage I've seen of TNC is really cool though so I'm tempted to grab it. Really in the mood for some more linear stuff that isn't 100 hours long lately anyways. The first one at least had a lot of potential but I don't fully understand the amount of love people have for it. I kind of want to see what a sequel to TNO, that looks that pretty in a post DOOM 2016 world is like, so I'm sort of excited for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

If you think about it the most green people are actually cheap old men trying to save money, not idealists.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

veni veni veni posted:

If you think about it the most green people are actually cheap old men trying to save money, not idealists.

The sad part is that the only way to convince companies and individuals to save energy / CO2 is to convince them they can save money from doing so. So that's where the focus lies.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Playstation 4: I got bored and quit on the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

You really have to squad up in TLOU unless you are really good. 75% of pubs are just cannon fodder and do more harm than good. Like I remember a round where we were handily winning a 3 v 4 round and someone dropped in at the end of the round, went 0-15 over the course of 4 minutes and we lost.

*pushes glasses up nose*

Well, ha, actually, since there's a 20 second wave for respawns, 0-15 in 4 minutes, I think you'll find, is slightly hyperbolic.