Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I've always used top-loading washers and the ones in our apartment building are so loving small. at least they cost less than the old place, which had the same ones. but you can easily fit two loads into the dryer!

my parents have a top-loader that can fit like three times as much stuff as these stupid ones so I just bring bulky poo poo over there

but I'm short so I can't reach the clothes/whatever in the bottom :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Samsung makes the cheapest poo poo possible. They get away with it via phones (except the exploding ones) because nobody keeps a phone more than 2 years 3 absolute tops. I guess they make boats and poo poo too but their electronics.... Nah.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

red19fire posted:

I just want to put in a side derail that the greatest burn I've witnessed in my life was my dad shopping for a smart TV.

Salesman: ...And this Samsung has built-in HBO, Showtime, Netflix and Roku Apps, so it's just a matter of how smart you want your TV to be.
:dadjoke: I want a TV that got a full ride scholarship to Vanderbilt law school, not one that joined the marines right after high school.

My Mom: :dogbutton:

(My brother is the one who got a full ride to Vanderbilt :v:)

High-quality dad. I hope your time in the Marines is going well.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
They make stackable top loaders if that's your thing too.

I've had great experience with Samsung's built in apps for Amazon, Plex, and Netflix and my tv's have updated in the background just fine. Unfortunately they do have ads in the menu and there is no way to disable it (other than flashing old firmware and never letting your tv connect to the net). The ads on my tv are one tile out of 10 so it isn't too crazy but still absurd given that I bought it before they introduced the ad thing and I never agreed to it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Raldikuk posted:

I've had great experience with Samsung's built in apps for Amazon, Plex, and Netflix and my tv's have updated in the background just fine. Unfortunately they do have ads in the menu and there is no way to disable it (other than flashing old firmware and never letting your tv connect to the net). The ads on my tv are one tile out of 10 so it isn't too crazy but still absurd given that I bought it before they introduced the ad thing and I never agreed to it.
Welcome to the future. Advertisers realized consumers will block ads whenever humanly possible, so they're going to shove them in places where it's nearly impossible to block them instead.

At no point will anyone(on the side of people pushing these ads on us, that is) ask if these ads are actually bringing in enough business to be worth the cost.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The dudes who came up with the full, screen-blocking ads on mobile apps deserve to circle some drains for sure.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Samsung top loading washer in my rented place had the motor burn out after less than six months (this was a massive pain in the dick as the landlord ended up arguing about a replacement for a couple of weeks)

It was eventually replaced with a front loading LG which has prominent '10 year motor warranty' stickers plastered across the front so I guess it turned out okay - the front loader definitely cleans a lot better.

As for TVs I like my bottom of the barrel Sony 55" - it's the one without Android so really no frills but on the plus side it's fast and never has any annoying software updates unlike my parents LG which makes you scroll through a EULA after each system update.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figure with zaibatsu type megaconglomerates between the difference in management, design philosophy, supply chains etc. it's gonna be basically a crapshoot when and which of their products are the best on the market, cheap crap or overpriced crap at any given time.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The Umbrella Corporation makes really good noodles.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Raldikuk posted:

They make stackable top loaders if that's your thing too.

Install a pi-hole on your home network. Ads won't get past your router. https://pi-hole.net/

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Companies That Are Circling The Drain Front-Loading Washer

Samsung definitely used to make the best TVs, and you could possibly argue they still do, but the playing field is just a lot more level now. Everyone basically knows how to make a great TV, which I guess is why now there's kind of an arms race of new manufacturer-exclusive features with crazy acronyms.

most TVs are rebrands of a single maker

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Don't be racist, Samsung isn't a zaibatsu. A zaibatsu is Japanese, since Samsung is Korean that makes them a chaebol* :goonsay:

I kind of wish it was Samsung that was going down the drain because I dislike their business practices and how much political influence they have over South Korea, so while they do make pretty decent products I try not to buy their stuff. Of course if they were a country they would be one of the richest on earth so they're not going to be circling the drain anytime soon.

*I know the hanja for chaebol is the same as the kanji for zaibatsu

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

karma_coma posted:

Samsung makes the cheapest poo poo possible. They get away with it via phones (except the exploding ones) because nobody keeps a phone more than 2 years 3 absolute tops. I guess they make boats and poo poo too but their electronics.... Nah.

What? Samsung makes some the best electronic stuff, even Apple buys from them for several things. Their memory chips are in everything and considered the best, they make the SoCs and chips for a poo poo ton of manufacturers, they make the batteries of many, many mobile things. Their OLED screens are the best you can get. Their LCD panels are extremely good. Chances are, if you bought any electronic device, a lot of it was made by Samsung. Their phones this year are basically the gold standard all others, including Apple, strive to match (even their software has become usable now).

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Their emoji font is nightmarish, though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Volcott posted:

Extremely so.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Volcott posted:

Just don't use emojis. Problem solved.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Vizio makes feature rich tvs at a good affordable price, but you need a costco membership.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Isn't Samsung still the only good SSD manufacturer?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Control Volume posted:

I think Fondar Yards also is good.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Control Volume posted:

I built a new PC back in March and the SH/SC threads all unanimously praised their current NVMe's (the little stick of gum SSDs you plug directly into the motherboard).

Can confirm the 960 EVO is pretty dang fast and I've had zero problems with it as an OS drive.

I think Intel's SATA SSDs were recommended at some point as well. Not as the fastest on the market, but as the most resilient. I don't believe that's the case anymore.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Decius posted:

What? Samsung makes some the best electronic stuff, even Apple buys from them for several things. Their memory chips are in everything and considered the best, they make the SoCs and chips for a poo poo ton of manufacturers, they make the batteries of many, many mobile things. Their OLED screens are the best you can get. Their LCD panels are extremely good. Chances are, if you bought any electronic device, a lot of it was made by Samsung. Their phones this year are basically the gold standard all others, including Apple, strive to match (even their software has become usable now).

This right here is what I was talking about before the thread was thoroughly washed. Also gently caress tons of corruption.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

samsung can occasionally make decent hardware, but boy howdy some of their software/user facing poo poo is a baffling pain in the rear end to use

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Samsung TV chat: They do make some of the best TVs, picture quality-wise, but you have to watch out for the panel lottery. Samsung doesn't make all the panels that are used in a single model, some might be made by Panasonic or some no-name Taiwanese company. The panels made by other manufacturers are typically not as good as the Samsung panels. Also, Samsung knows there's a difference in quality, and will only ship Samsung panels to reviewers.

There's a way to tell based on a serial number on the box which panel you're getting, and thankfully Samsung has somewhat standardized their serial number notation in regards to the panel manufacturer, but you should always do some research before buying.

I bought a JU7500 last year, and based on some random forum post I found, I discovered you could tell the panel in that model was made by Samsung if there was a "TS01" label on the box. I called Fry's and had the guy check the boxes for me, and thankfully all the ones they had in stock had it. That was in SoCal, so you might not have as much luck searching in the Midwest.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I wish I could buy a decent washer. Not high-efficiency, not ecologically minded, no little jingles letting me know it's done. Built like a loving tank with parts cheap, readily available and easy to replace. gently caress the environment, gently caress my water bill, and gently caress everything. Throw all my goddamned clothes in with all the washing horrors I can muster ground in, and an hour later it goes *BZZZZT* and my clothes are washed to hell and apologizing to me for having the temerity to get dirty.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

rndmnmbr posted:

I wish I could buy a decent washer. Not high-efficiency, not ecologically minded, no little jingles letting me know it's done. Built like a loving tank with parts cheap, readily available and easy to replace. gently caress the environment, gently caress my water bill, and gently caress everything. Throw all my goddamned clothes in with all the washing horrors I can muster ground in, and an hour later it goes *BZZZZT* and my clothes are washed to hell and apologizing to me for having the temerity to get dirty.

sounds like you really want a russian wife

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Magius1337est posted:

Vizio makes feature rich tvs at a good affordable price, but you need a costco membership.

Or you could just drive to your local Best Buy, Walmart, Target or other brick and mortar store that stocks Vizio tvs. You could even sit in the comfort of your own home jacking off with one hand while ordering a Vizio tv from Amazon or other online retailers with the other.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just don't use emojis. Problem solved.

Sometimes people need to know I feel eggplant Japanese goblin.

Also, when did Vizio start being anything but tinny Wal-Mart garbage?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mammal Sauce posted:

Or you could just drive to your local Best Buy, Walmart, Target or other brick and mortar store that stocks Vizio tvs. You could even sit in the comfort of your own home jacking off with one hand while ordering a Vizio tv from Amazon or other online retailers with the other.

I think the implication he was going for was that the Costco price is significantly cheaper than those.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Volcott posted:

Sometimes people need to know I feel eggplant Japanese goblin.

Also, when did Vizio start being anything but tinny Wal-Mart garbage?

I think around 2012

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Control Volume posted:

They're good, but personal experience has led me to hold Micron/Crucial in higher regard.

rndmnmbr posted:

Speed Queen, then?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mods please rename thread to washer chat.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Companies circling the agitator.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think Fondar Yards also is good.

Just want to let you know that I, at least, got this and it made my day.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Other World computing (macsales.com) makes great SSDs.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

rndmnmbr posted:

I've never wanted to punch someone so hard over something so trivial

This is the truck month of washing machine posts

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

The brand you want is Speed Queen, they even still make a model with manual controls.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Isn't the reason most TV's are cheap because they log your viewing data and sell it to ad companies? I thought it was a scandal with at least Vizio, they're able to price their smart tv's cheaper than Samsung because there was a built-in thing that sent viewing data and app usage back to Vizio and then they sold it to marketing companies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

red19fire posted:

Isn't the reason most TV's are cheap because they log your viewing data and sell it to ad companies? I thought it was a scandal with at least Vizio, they're able to price their smart tv's cheaper than Samsung because there was a built-in thing that sent viewing data and app usage back to Vizio and then they sold it to marketing companies.

Obviously I can only speak for myself but I don't give a hot gently caress if they collect viewing data.
That being said, I will never buy a TV with a camera or microphone, if I can help it.
Cameras are easily covered but mics are more tricky.

People who buy stuff like Amazon Echos are rubes.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Inzombiac posted:

People who buy stuff like Amazon Echos are rubes.

look at the luddite who can't hands-free order toilet paper while taking a poo poo. whose the ruby noun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I've never wanted to punch someone so hard over something so trivial

This is the truck month of washing machine posts

You should learn the meaning of the word "hyperbole".

That being said, no, I don't want to destroy the earth to have clean clothes. What I really want - and which a lot of people have suggested, thanks guys! - is industrial appliances. It seems to me to be the only category left where disposable consumerism hasn't eaten away at quality. I'm sure I could buy a very nice washer at Best Buy or Home Depot, and it would last me a decade, maybe two if I'm lucky, but I want a washer I can leave to my grandchildren in my will. And with a good maintenance manual and enough spare parts, it might actually be reasonable with an industrial model.

Plus, considering that I have about a load and a half every weekend, a large capacity would turn that into one load and that seems like a really nice option.