Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016
EDIT: Let him burn.

Lost_Heretic fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Pedo poo poo is pedo poo poo no matter how you cut it.

He deserves to get chased out.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
Bring back grognards.txt, put it in lf, unban hpapylef and make him mod

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Lost_Heretic posted:

Yeah, so, this guy is going to be at PAX Unplugged in a month. I'm really torn about what to do.

18 years is a long time, but the allegations are horrific. And who knows if these are the only instances?

:'(

There's no statute of limitations socially for being a pedophile or rapist, legally probably not either. It's not okay regardless of how long ago it was. The rest is for the legal system to deal with.

Who an artist is can never be fully divorced from their work. Even when we try, it colors the experience of the art.

Also, coming to the World of Darkness thread for moral and ethical advice is probably a bad idea.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This puts Beast in a way creepier and even worse light. Something that I honestly thought was impossible.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yes, this recontextualizes beast, and not in a good way. Before it was just misguided adolescent wish fulfillment that really could have used an editor.

Now it's "Matt McFarland's personal wish fulfillment where he gets to abuse power over people and is super cool for doing so."

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Kurieg posted:

Yes, this recontextualizes beast, and not in a good way. Before it was just misguided adolescent wish fulfillment that really could have used an editor.

Now it's "Matt McFarland's personal wish fulfillment where he gets to abuse power over people and is super cool for doing so."

All the same, I really doubt he's going to eat poo poo for this. He's probably going to stay where he is despite all this. I really hope this changes, but I doubt it will, because there are enough well-meaning people willing to go to bat for him.

A classic case of "He could never do something like that, I know him, and I'm too woke to condone a child rapist"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

do NOT jack off posted:

All the same, I really doubt he's going to eat poo poo for this. He's probably going to stay where he is despite all this. I really hope this changes, but I doubt it will, because there are enough well-meaning people willing to go to bat for him.

A classic case of "He could never do something like that, I know him, and I'm too woke to condone a child rapist"

He's already stepped down as an rpgnet mod voluntarily, and his accuser has been explicitly contacted for consideration by the owners of the site. Who knows how OP will handle this, but...well, I am going to choose to have faith in Rose Bailey, especially after the news that allegations of harassment against Morke were part of why he was fired from Exalted. (Allegations, I will note, that I believe entirely.)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

That block quote from RPG.net is opaque to me. It sounds like they're discussing Mentzer's misdeeds?

Where did the news break about Matt?

NVM had to go back and read like 6 pages of posts.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 23, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mendrian posted:

That block quote from RPG.net is opaque to me. It sounds like they're discussing Mentzer's misdeeds?

Where did the news break about Matt?

They're using the Mentzer thread as a giant megathread for all Sexual abuse allegations in the RPG industry.

quote:

A friend sent me this thread, and I felt the need to come out of retirement.

Seeing Matthew McFarland moderating a thread about sexual harassment literally blows my mind.

quote:

Well, that's certainly cryptic. Are you suggesting some sort of impropriety on the part of Matt?

quote:

Yep.

quote:

Well, then, you should probably come out and say it instead of vaguebooking in some kind of hinky effort to throw shade.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Thanks. Having not read the thread the final stunner was completely lost on me.

Ugh.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Huh it has the Morke thing too. I missed that whole drama other than they were fired or not working on Exalted anymore and complaining about pay.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
What happened with Morke other than the years-long E3 kickstarter fiasco?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

What happened with Morke other than the years-long E3 kickstarter fiasco?

Per a thread on RPGnet where people are coming forward with tales of harassment and abuse from within the industry.

quote:

John Morke harassed multiple women while he was an Exalted developer, possibly forcing some of them out of the industry, and some people here were upset when Onyx Path fired him. They didn't know what he'd done, so it's not the same as with Zak, but it was still tremendously frustrating to watch. I didn't say anything because none of the targets had gone public yet and I didn't want to risk bringing more attention onto them.

quote:

Urgh. Really? I had not heard that. Gross.

That puts his random PMs to me in a whole other light.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

And here I thought Morke was redefining masculinity for a new age!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Oh goddamnit. Is not raping people too much to ask or some poo poo? Every drat field of my life there's someone or other, it's disgusting.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I am not shocked, surprised, or saddened at all. Hopefully he leaves Onyx Path as well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Loomer posted:

Oh goddamnit. Is not raping people too much to ask or some poo poo? Every drat field of my life there's someone or other, it's disgusting.
I feel like Mr. House from New Vegas sometimes. "Is it really so hard not to constantly harass and abuse women?"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It feels weird to say this right now since I'm pretty sure McFarlane worked on the line a bunch but thanks again to whoever pointed out that Demon:tD bundle of holding, it owns really hard and seems like it will be perfect to slot into the cracks in my God Machine mortals game.

I'm running Squares of the City from GMC for the characters right now as kind of an introduction to the whole idea of the God Machine - I think I'm going to modify the Angel involved in that to be more doubtful of its mission, so if the characters get a better grasp of what's going on and manage to make a convincing argument they can induce him to Fall (although the characters won't realize exactly what's occurring, they'll get the point). I'm running the ChoD stuff as minis on nights when some people can't make our regular D&D game so I'm running it really episodically - pregen character ideas tossed into situations, and once those have some kind of resolution we can move on to other scenarios with new characters mixed in with a few returning favorites. By running things this way I'm pretty sure I can do things that might totally screw up the tone/balance of the game like making an integral Angel Fall and then not spend two or three sessions just dealing with any fallout from that.

Also, regarding Squares of the City:I really spent a ton of time setting stuff up and my players just completely ignored a shitload of hints, I don't think I've ever been this frustrated with a group. It was still a ton of fun and the players really got into it, but yeesh.

The characters were all neighbors on a street in a subdivision. I started the game with their "average Tuesday", walking them all through their day, little bits of the supernatural poking their head through here and there but mostly very mundane. Carol from HR lived next door to the mechanic and across the street from the second grade teacher. On the other side of her house was the party house where the young non-player "techbro" "entrepreneur" lived. The mechanic had a busy day, as usual - someone called in to ask about an appointment for their car and the first opening was in mid-November. The teacher was busy too - yeah, that troublemaker Kevin was absent today, but that just meant she had 34 average second graders to deal with instead of 34 average second graders and one hellion menace. The teacher and Carol from HR get home from work at around the same time and have a friendly chat across the street, shouting over cars full of annoying young people going to the house next door. The mechanic stays out at a bar at night and barely makes it home while being aggravated by a creeping sense of dread that vanishes once he's indoors.

The next day, it's an average Wednesday. Carol from HR gets out and waves to the mechanic on the left of her house when she goes to work. The teacher that lives next door on the right side is gone already, as she is every weekday morning. Carol is happy - she finally got a decent night of sleep, even the bright lights of the convenience store sign across the street didn't manage to trigger her insomnia. The teacher is flustered - all 33 kids are present today, and it's Arts + Crafts Wednesday - cleaning up is going to be a nightmare. Meanwhile the mechanic has a relaxing morning - he doesn't have any appointments until 11 and uses the time to catch up on his book.

Basically, I tried to make sure that the shifting buildings + disappearances touched each character in really obvious ways if they were paying attention, but didn't point them out like "GOSH IT SURE IS WEIRD, YOU TOTALLY REMEMBER THAT TEACHER LIVING ACROSS THE STREET". So naturally, my players completely ignored every hint and assumed that I was just lovely at keeping track of things or something. gently caress. :negative:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

Basically, I tried to make sure that the shifting buildings + disappearances touched each character in really obvious ways if they were paying attention, but didn't point them out like "GOSH IT SURE IS WEIRD, YOU TOTALLY REMEMBER THAT TEACHER LIVING ACROSS THE STREET". So naturally, my players completely ignored every hint and assumed that I was just lovely at keeping track of things or something. gently caress. :negative:

Your players may be like mine and not be good at subtle. Or you may be like I was for the longest time and not good at making the subtleties obvious enough.

Now when I do something subtle, I make it less so by emphasizing the difference with tone of voice and emphasis. It shows that I'm being precise with my words, and brings attention to them at the same time. That way I'm not hitting them over the head with it, but they know that what I'm saying is important.

I have reoccurring motifs in my current Mage 2e game that they haven't picked up on, but it doesn't surprise me. I'm intentionally not emphasizing them yet, but they still do a good job of setting the mood and ambience I'm trying to portray.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

To be fair, sometimes when we're playing D&D and they do something unexpected, whatever I come up with to "wing it" might clash with the established setting in some way I didn't consider and we end up sorta-retconning it after the encounter or something. But it's different for one-shots and minis because it has to be, it's like the difference between a paragraph in a novel and a paragraph in a short story - in a good novel a paragraph here and there can be nonessential, but in a short story everything is going to be very deliberate.

I don't know. I kind of figured something like that would happen and had a failsafe in place (the teacher found some exposed gears in the boiler room of her school, so she was able to start seeing through Infrastructure and get the game started) but it was a total bummer, especially since I don't think I have many opportunities to do similar tricks going forward. :(

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Has it been said here that there's a new playtest available for Hunter the Vigil 2e?

Dec 26, 2012

Foglet posted:

Has it been said here that there's a new playtest available for Hunter the Vigil 2e?

I hadn’t seen this anyhow. Looks like they’re on an interesting track for sure.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
help

my players are building their characters in semi-isolation and all of them put a lot of points in crafting, 2 of them have blacksmith as a backstory/occupation, and all but one is of the Prey threshold (the last one is Forgotten instead)

now i have to focus on nature/crafting stuff for my story i guess

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Xinder posted:

help

my players are building their characters in semi-isolation and all of them put a lot of points in crafting, 2 of them have blacksmith as a backstory/occupation, and all but one is of the Prey threshold (the last one is Forgotten instead)

now i have to focus on nature/crafting stuff for my story i guess
This is when you ask everyone "so do y'all want to play GtS in the 1770s" unless you already are in which case, sounds about right

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

This is when you ask everyone "so do y'all want to play GtS in the 1770s" unless you already are in which case, sounds about right

I'm actually doing the Roanoke supplement in the Dark Eras Companion, but good guess!

I'm really not so worried about my narrative focus because I wasn't sure where I was going with this game anyway, but I've never had all my players align so closely before. It's unsettling.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The PCs are all folks who were making a trip from Roanoke to a nearby clearing to collect lumber and ore for further construction of the colony. Unfortunately on the way back to Roanoke they were beset upon by a pack of ravenous mountain lions (except one of them who managed to flee the mountain lions and accidentally fell off a cliff in the dark). They wake up a few days later and find the last guy downriver, all of them inexplicably alive and blessed with fabulous secret powers. But while they were dead, someone took the cart and took all of their goods. And when they get home, they realize the reason their poo poo was taken was because their intended building site would have messed up the spiritual mojo of the colony and the local spirits are super pissed because they're loving up the landscape by bringing upstart new spirits with them. Were their deaths by mountain lion truly accidental? Find the missing materials, find out who took them, find out why, find the greater spirit that sent a mountain lion spirit to frenzy the big cats into killing you and figure out just what you're going to do about the colony.

Y'know before it fails and all of the settlers end up intermarrying with the locals in order to survive.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I told one of my other players about the two blacksmiths and her response was to try and convince the rest of the party to be blacksmiths too. "You guys excited to play Blacksmith the Forging?" i made a mistake

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Xinder posted:

I told one of my other players about the two blacksmiths and her response was to try and convince the rest of the party to be blacksmiths too. "You guys excited to play Blacksmith the Forging?" i made a mistake

Wait till you folks see Geist Second Edition. :)

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

GimpInBlack posted:

poo poo I wanna see it now.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Xinder posted:

I feel like this means that if they forge their own Tier 2 crewe you can just turn everyone's Geists into famous dead blacksmiths. So one guy's got Wayland, someone else is Tubal Cain, etc. etc.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Geist did have a criminal lack of soulforging as the basic problem solving tool.

Maybe Wraith 20 will release on day... :unsmith:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I feel like this means that if they forge their own Tier 2 crewe you can just turn everyone's Geists into famous dead blacksmiths. So one guy's got Wayland, someone else is Tubal Cain, etc. etc.

Dibs on Muramasa.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

GimpInBlack posted:

This is a cruel tease.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Xinder posted:

This is a cruel tease.

I am a cruel man.

(But seriously, I'm gonna try to get the first preview blog written in the next few days or so.)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

GimpInBlack posted:

Do you play as a geist?

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Do you play as a geist?

This has always been a dumb complaint.

Geist 1E had enough wrong with it to not need to nitpick the bloody title.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It has always been an extremely cogent and to the point complaint, actually. If you were actually a weird ghost rather than someone with a weird ghost in their pocket you'd probably have actual motivations, threats, etc.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

It has always been an extremely cogent and to the point complaint, actually. If you were actually a weird ghost rather than someone with a weird ghost in their pocket you'd probably have actual motivations, threats, etc.

I prefer to run with Geist like the Trill in StarTrek. It's a symbiotic relationship where they're two parts of the same experience and person now. Separation isn't something that's going to happen easily, and the internal monologue should be full of argument. Except then you run the risk of playing Psychology: Multiple Personalities the game and not a game where you and your geist savior have reasons to do things in the world whatever that may be.

Otherwise it's just like you died and got supercharged but don't really have any reason for it having happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I still will never understand this complaint. Geist isn't amazing at spelling it out but you have motivations, threats, ect. It's the thousands of ghosts who are constantly harassing you, bothering you, attacking you, and being a general problem. It's also all of the things out there making more ghosts.

It's like saying the kid in the 6th sense shouldn't of had so many problems because he could just ignore the ghosts.