Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

ComposerGuy posted:

I'm really excited about this guys.

My marriage is probably about to be over, a bombshell my wife dropped on me last week from nowhere, and right now this playoff run is really holding me up.

Even if we lose, I'm just happy we're here.

I know that's a bit much to be sharing on our dead comedy forum, but following along and posting with my goon Astro buddies is really going to help. You're all great and our team is cool and good.

Sorry bro - send me a PM and come watch the game with some random dudes tonight, take your mind off poo poo around people who don't know you and will never ask a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the houston astros are playing in the world series, today

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

I'm really excited about this guys.

My marriage is probably about to be over, a bombshell my wife dropped on me last week from nowhere, and right now this playoff run is really holding me up.

Even if we lose, I'm just happy we're here.

I know that's a bit much to be sharing on our dead comedy forum, but following along and posting with my goon Astro buddies is really going to help. You're all great and our team is cool and good.

drat dude :smith: sorry to hear that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Please change thread title to "the hits have stopped coming"

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I feel like Kershaw and (I hope) Verlander will cancel each other out so to speak. It's the games started by none of these 2 that will decide the series.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

Please change thread title to "the hits have stopped coming"

Yesterday was expected. The bats returned in Games 6 & 7 and they will come back again. Kershaw just did Kershaw things yesterday. If Keuchel goes outside to Turner on that pitch, we're staring at 1-1 until forever.

Either way, the Astros making it this far has been amazing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Excuses like "It's Kershaw, what can you do?" work in the regular season but if you want to win a championship you eventually have to get to guys who aren't normally gotten to. See: the Yankees and Dodgers getting to Keuchel

If we just wait around for the weak link in the Dodgers rotation then welp we're hosed because there really isn't one. This is a "historically great offense" and they should be able to get hits even against the best pitchers at least some of the time

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Excuses like "It's Kershaw, what can you do?" work in the regular season but if you want to win a championship you eventually have to get to guys who aren't normally gotten to. See: the Yankees and Dodgers getting to Keuchel

If we just wait around for the weak link in the Dodgers rotation then welp we're hosed because there really isn't one. This is a "historically great offense" and they should be able to get hits even against the best pitchers at least some of the time

To me, there is a huge drop off between Kershaw and Hill, Darvish and Wood. Our bats should score against those guys.

Of course you can say the same between Verlander and our other 3. Tonight is a must win.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

It's a seven game series, I'm not flussed about losing one game on the road against the best pitcher of this generation. It's not like Keuchel pitched poorly, they just punished his mistakes. When Kershaw made a mistake (singular, because he did it once), Bregman launched it deep. I'll be worried if we lose tonight with Verlander pitching and have to come back to Houston and win two with McCullers and Morton, but for now we pitched well, defense played well, we just need to get back into a rhythm at the plate. It's not like Rich Hill murdered the Astros when he was in Oakland.

As far as changes that need to be made, I think we have to put Bregman and Yuli at 1&2 and move Springer back to 5 or 6 - he is lost up there right now (and was throughout the Yankees series as well). He's hurting the team when the leadoff guy is basically Adam Everett up there. Also, we need Gattis' bat. Hinch has to get his mind around the double switch. When McCann was up in the 7th, Gattis should have gone in at that point and caught the remainder of the game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RIP Astros

I hate being a fan of Houston sports

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm so happy

Seriously

Like deathly happy

Which is sad since it's a single game but at least the Astros have finally won a World Series game

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Being a fan of Houston sports has definitely taken years off my life

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Oh God guys. I am just going to soak up this win all day tomorrow.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Good thing there's a day off on Thursday. I couldn't handle another game after tonight.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I AM HAPPY TO LOOK DUMB

I'm seriously crying

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I LOVE EVERYONE. My Houston Strong Astros shirt is undefeated in the playoffs. Didn't wear it to the bar yesterday, wore the ALCS champ shirt instead. Yesterday is on me, apologies.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Despite my pessimism I love the Astros and I'm very happy when they win

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Despite my pessimism I love the Astros and I'm very happy when they win

We love you too internet stranger. Pessimism is ingrained in Houston sports fans despite the clutch city Rockets on account of the last 23 years. Those who don't get it will never understand.

Edit: I mean a loving laser from Bregman bounced off a dude's loving head straight to the other fielder to prevent runs from scoring. That's the most Houston poo poo that's ever happened.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 26, 2017

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Well today is going to be a very unproductive day at work. Can't keep thinking about last night.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Games like that are what will eventually kill me.

But yay!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's still surreal to me.

We... aren't getting swept?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kirios posted:

It's still surreal to me.

We... aren't getting swept?

We might even win two games :kingsley:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The hits have started coming again

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

There is a World Series game downtown tonight.

I have not been this excited for a sporting event since the UT-USC Rose Bowl.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Time to bump the Astro Lounge thread up, choo choo!

Up 2-1 gents!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't care how much tickets cost, if the Astros win game 4 I am driving to Houston for game 5.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

First Astros WS win on Wednesday, first ever WS series lead for the Astros tonight

Hoping for one more first!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Life is good. I can't believe I'm seeing Houston Astros leading the world series 2 to 1.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
3 years ago I paid twelve dollars to watch the Astros get buttblasted at home by the Toronto bluejays

Today nosebleed tickets are >1k

What a world

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I met jeff bagwell once when I was a kid, because my aunt was his divorce attorney. Well, that's my astros story, go 'stros!! woo hoo!!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > The Astro Lounge: the hits start coming and they don't stop coming and the hits stop coming and the hits start coming again

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros Lounge: The hits start coming and then whoops racism happens

What a downer on an otherwise fantastic night

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Not at all down. Still feeling great about it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I mean we probably won't have him for game 4 so that is a downer, and also I am sad because it was wrong and dumb

Still, 2 more wins. Let's go.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kirios posted:

Not at all down. Still feeling great about it.

I'm with Intruder, it dimishes the win. Yuli kickstarted the rally that ultimately decided the game, and he apparently celebrated by engaging in bullshit schoolyard racism. And not only was his racist gesture caught on tape, it was nationally broadcast during one of baseball's biggest games of the year.

When he wears the Astros uniform he's a representative of the team and the city, and right now his racist gesture is bigger news than our 2-1 series lead. That loving sucks and it's all on him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really wish this hadn't happened, because if Yuli is suspended and the Astros lose that game or if Yuli does particularly well in the rest of this series, I can just see what has thus far been a very good series of baseball getting drowned by the most insufferable kind of discourse.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So who do we start at first base tonight when our loving idiot first baseman gets rightfully suspended for a game?

Marwin?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If it comes to that, yes I’d start Marwin and put Fisher in LF.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Here's a column regarding this whole Yuli/Darvish business. It sums up my thoughts on the matter.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dodgers-hernandez-20171027-story.html

I doubt he gets suspended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I'm not going to call him an idiot at all. At least try to understand where he's from and his perspective.

I don't think he meant any malice at all. Like I said yesterday, I'm not going to hate a man or call him racist for one moment of ignorance.

To do so is asinine and proves we have learned nothing except how to be offended and be outraged.

• Locked thread