Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Vikar Jerome posted:

yes, from a certain point of view... (and not just luigi... maybe there's another set of brothers... who knows?)

Fine by me, if the ideas is that you can potentially take over your brother's body via a magical hat then sign me the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
GBATemp being a sanctioned Nintendo reviewer is kinda :psyduck: to me.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kaubocks posted:

i have digital, does anyone know what time it unlocks? i leave pretty early for work and wouldn't be able to connect my switch to work wifi to unlock it :(
It'll unlock at midnight, but also why not just quickly connect before leaving for work to unlock it? I'm sure the unlock is probably just a tiny patch or whatever. You could even use your phone as a hotspot for it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Maybe a bit of a fringe case, but hopefully someone knows:

I live in Germany and I'm thinking about buying a Switch (specifically the new Mario Odyssey bundle with the red joycons which is released here in EU tomorrow). Does anyone know if the Switch is the same as the Wii U (and PS4) in that the games that are sold here are able to be played in both German and English? Like, the Wii U (and the PS4) both just read the language settings of my default user profile and adjust the game accordingly.

This would be a dealbreaker on getting the console.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

lelandjs posted:

GBATemp being a sanctioned Nintendo reviewer is kinda :psyduck: to me.

Haha, what? They do realize that's where all the hacks come from, right?

Speaking of, gotta print me a wedding dress amiibo in preparation.

Hi, Tim!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

good news, everyone who is averse to motion control waggle:

day-one patch supposedly gives the option to turn off all motion controls

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DLC Inc posted:

good news, everyone who is averse to motion control waggle:

day-one patch supposedly gives the option to turn off all motion controls

Good for people who physically cannot use motion controls due to disability; bad otherwise for appeasing able-bodied crybabies.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Good for people who physically cannot use motion controls due to disability; bad otherwise for appeasing able-bodied crybabies.

from what I've read it also forced you previously to use motion even in loving handheld mode, and gently caress THAT

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wow, those reviews. Two games getting some of the best reviews of any game in the first year of a new console is pretty loving good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Drone posted:

I live in Germany and I'm thinking about buying a Switch (specifically the new Mario Odyssey bundle with the red joycons which is released here in EU tomorrow). Does anyone know if the Switch is the same as the Wii U (and PS4) in that the games that are sold here are able to be played in both German and English? Like, the Wii U (and the PS4) both just read the language settings of my default user profile and adjust the game accordingly.

Yeah pretty much everything (particularly Nintendo-published) is available to play in English/French/Italian/German/Spanish. You can check on the eShop page though if you're not sure.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Super-Mario-Odyssey-1173332.html#gameDetails

(Under Game Details, it lists the languages for the Download Version)

e: Oh and also the Switch is completely region-free, so you can just register a Nintendo account, set its region to US and access the eShop via that account if you wanted to buy something from the NA eShop. There's not much need to so far though, as they have been very good at releasing stuff same day (or at the very least, same week) between NA/EU.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 26, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

lelandjs posted:

Oh look ArsTechnica took one of the cons in my parody review seriously (I didn't link to the full review because of slight spoilers):

lol

I like the part of the review where it calls SMO's levels not ending when you collect moons profound. "No sir, I have not played Banjo Kazooie, why do you ask?"

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

It'll unlock at midnight, but also why not just quickly connect before leaving for work to unlock it? I'm sure the unlock is probably just a tiny patch or whatever.

i'm the kind of guy who rolls out of bed five minutes before the bus arrives, i am Not a morning person

(also i've never messed with phone hotspot stuff before because i've never had a need)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nevermind, I was dumb.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 26, 2017

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Drone posted:

The games do change their language depending on system settings.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My Digital Amazon JP preorder of Mario works as of 8am PST. :D

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

it also makes it easier to play in handheld mode

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

it also makes it easier to play in handheld mode

You know what, good point.

I guess I'm still mad Nintendo capitulated and let you mix-and-match text and voice languages in BotW.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s here

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can’t believe there have been all these perfect games on this perfect console.

What a time to be alive.

"This is the best time to be playing video games,"
- Vinnie Caravella

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Wow Mario can throw that hat really far

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

You know what, good point.

I guess I'm still mad Nintendo capitulated and let you mix-and-match text and voice languages in BotW.

why is giving people more options to customize their experience to their tastes a bad thing?

yeah, it validates people who threw a fit but that doesn't mean it's not a good thing in the end

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
SMO will be a good game that does a lot of things well in a charming package but will do some other things not so well. Some people will call it GOAT others will nitpick to rile them up. The thread will have repetitive circular arguments that don't really matter at the end of the day because what really is perfection? If you get 40+ hours of enjoyment out of something while recognizing it could do some things better is it a worthwhile purchase. Someone will say yes, others will call them shitposters.

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Amazon gave me jack poo poo when I complained that they sold my pre-order of the SNES classic to people on their stupid bus.

I'm also still bitter about it obviously. I can't believe I didn't see a single article that I would call bad press about a situation where instead of fulfilling online pre-orders for their primary online business, they put their allotment on physical location treasure trucks and pushed back everyone's pre-order for weeks. I also tried to complain, but if their customer service isn't just giving you a $5-10 credit they barely understand english so it's pointless. They kept giving me a link to "provide more information" that was literally a dead end, I would fill out the form and get an email saying the place I was contacting didn't exist.

Unfortunately, if I care about saving money on new games it's either Amazon or Best Buy and gently caress Best Buy. If only Gamestop would offer a similar deal, instead of guaranteeing their inevitable slow death.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

What are you talking about that moon is FALLING.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

why is giving people more options to customize their experience to their tastes a bad thing?

yeah, it validates people who threw a fit but that doesn't mean it's not a good thing in the end

because eat your vegetables. If you find (some of) the English voice work in BotW grating (Mipha's characterization fuckin stinks, moeblob waifu garbage) then suck it up, that's the Experience.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm moving. But the place I'm moving to doesn't have gamestop and

What is this madness

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

because eat your vegetables. If you find (some of) the English voice work in BotW grating (Mipha's characterization fuckin stinks, moeblob waifu garbage) then suck it up, that's the Experience.

You're not my read dad.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

i'm everyone's dad On Line

EDIT: my position is obviously an odd one and my argument extreme but my Catholic Guilt says that total gratification is Bad and that art should grate and be imperfect and awkward and interesting. For instance, voice acting you don't like. but can understand linguistically, is to me more valuable than voice acting you prefer because the language barrier prevents you from judging the actual quality of performance.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 26, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DoctorWhat posted:

dad, can we have breakfast for dinner tonight?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feenix posted:

My Digital Amazon JP preorder of Mario works as of 8am PST. :D

Does the Japanese version have English subs/audio?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

dad, can we have breakfast for dinner tonight?

Save room for dessert, and by dessert I mean SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY, because it is a sweet treat, like a frosty chocolate milkshake.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Giant Bomb gave it a 5/5, if it was Jeff reviewing I would have expected a 4/5 but looks like Dan got it: https://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/super-mario-odyssey-review/1900-774/

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I live in europe but have the US eshop. That means it won't be unlocked at midnight, correct? I will have to wait until US midnight?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lelandjs posted:

Is there voice acting besides Wahoo, Mama Mia, and Oh No! ?

it's a me mario

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mons Hubris posted:

No he threw it when it got really close and sacrificed himself to save the day so he hurled the moon back into the deep reaches of space

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lakbay posted:

Is there voice acting besides Wahoo, Mama Mia, and Oh No! ?

it's a me mario

*facepalm*

I meant English dialog boxes/signs/etc

[Edit: gently caress it though, I'll just trust the Best Buy will get me my copy tomorrow. Even though it hasn't shipped yet.]

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

lelandjs posted:

It's a universal SKU. I'd say nearing* 100% of Switch games are. It is indistiguishable from the US digital version even so much as to go to the US eShop and see it "purchased" and redownloadable.

10 minute hot take. Other than some aliasing/shimmer on straight lines... this game is loving FLAWLESS. I am so giddy right now. I am not traditionally a nintendo mark, nor am I some super hardcore Mario legacy fan. I played SMB, SMW, etc... back in the day.

This is such a product of love, you can tell.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

EDIT: my position is obviously an odd one and my argument extreme but my Catholic Guilt says that total gratification is Bad and that art should grate and be imperfect and awkward and interesting. For instance, voice acting you don't like. but can understand linguistically, is to me more valuable than voice acting you prefer because the language barrier prevents you from judging the actual quality of performance.

I disagree on the idea that you can't judge the quality of voices not speaking in your language, but I'll step aside in the interest of not derailing the thread with this. At the very least, the Mario change is positive for reasons of inclusiveness.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

katkillad2 posted:

Giant Bomb gave it a 5/5, if it was Jeff reviewing I would have expected a 4/5 but looks like Dan got it: https://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/super-mario-odyssey-review/1900-774/

Surprised Dan didn't give it a 4/5 and say, "It's amazing, but it's just no Mario Sunshine," :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I will be playing Odyssey in 7 hours hell yeeeeeeessssssss

• Locked thread