Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The dub talk reminds me of a really weird decision made when Fox got the rights to Escaflowne. They didn't air the first episode and instead started it on the second with just a recap of the first. Which was really stupid since the first episode sets up the entire plot of the show but it didn't have the titular armor so, gently caress it.

Not featuring the titutlar showpiece of a program in the first episode is just so Anime Pacing. You wanna see some action? Well first, here's a shitload of exposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Not featuring the titutlar showpiece of a program in the first episode is just so Anime Pacing. You wanna see some action? Well first, here's a shitload of exposition.

See also: the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

John Big Booty posted:

Who else had an important role in bringing anime to the us?

Just curious. Not compiling a death list.

Sandy Frank brought us Battle of the Planets (Science Ninja Team Gatchaman) in the 70s.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mister Kingdom posted:

Sandy Frank brought us Battle of the Planets (Science Ninja Team Gatchaman) in the 70s.
I think I'll just wait that one out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Bloop posted:

See also: the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery
Yeah, it's weird that they take place in the 1850s.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

John Big Booty posted:

I think I'll just wait that one out.

Um, what?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He's going to wait until the 1970s are over.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's going to wait until the 1970s are over.

Ah, got it. I was thinking he was being cryptic.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sandy Frank is almost 90. No need to put him on the Anime Death List that does not exist.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

John Big Booty posted:

Sandy Frank is almost 90. No need to put him on the Anime Death List that does not exist.

Also he's partially (and indirectly) responsible for MST3K.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
People will probably go back a lot to Speed Racer and Gigantor to go back years. During the 70s and 80s, I think there was still a trend to outsource a lot of US animation to Japan at the time, so you might end up with portions of US-Aimed cartoons with Japanese animators who themselves might be putting some anime influences in them. At the very least, people just buying up Japanese cartoons for US video releases and just changing them them to fit with US market and cutting out stuff that didn't work. (My memory's a bit fuzzy on some specific titles or details, though.)

Macek seemed associated with Streamline, though.

There was also AnimEigo, whose frontman was a guy who was fairly popular with fans at the time. (I had to look it up: Robert Woodhead must be the guy as he sounds familiar). They were actually a pretty popular company in the pre-Street Fighter Anime Movie market and had a lot of popular stuff. I think around the mid-90s, though, they lost some fan love due to a plan to start dubbing Urusei Yatsura when they'd been subbing it for years by that point.

Viz, I think, the big name was Trish Ledoux in early 90s or so. US Renditions had ties to Books Nippan in the late 80s/early 90s, but I can recall any big names from there.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

zoux posted:

Well it did have the main male character sword-fight a dragon.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also he's partially (and indirectly) responsible for MST3K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvN10-n1NBc

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

80s/90s anime is generally very good.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

purple death ray posted:

Every season/year/decade has good and bad shows. People just don't remember the horrible garbage because that's not something that gets DVD releases or that you'd seek out and watch even if it was out there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR794_QBmug

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was also AnimEigo, whose frontman was a guy who was fairly popular with fans at the time. (I had to look it up: Robert Woodhead must be the guy as he sounds familiar). They were actually a pretty popular company in the pre-Street Fighter Anime Movie market and had a lot of popular stuff. I think around the mid-90s, though, they lost some fan love due to a plan to start dubbing Urusei Yatsura when they'd been subbing it for years by that point.

Yeah, Robert Woodhead was an ur-Weaboo. Prior to AnimEgo he was one of the co-creators of the Wizardry series of early computer RPGs, which is why Wizardry is full of samurai and ninjas.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Straight White Shark posted:

Yeah, Robert Woodhead was an ur-Weaboo. Prior to AnimEgo he was one of the co-creators of the Wizardry series of early computer RPGs, which is why Wizardry is full of samurai and ninjas.

And then Dragon Quest was heavily influenced by Wizardry, starting the cycle anew.

So this is an odd question but did the US ever bring over live action Japanese TV shows before Power Rangers? When my mom was growing up in the 70s in Mexico, the Spanish dubbed version of Señorita Cometa (wiki says the English name is Princess Comet? No idea because I've never seen it referred in English) was crazy popular, to the point that in Mexico it only stopped being broadcast because Televisa lost the tapes in the 1985 earthquake. I've never heard of any Japanese live action show coming across the pacific before the 90s, and even now it's basically Power Rangers and Most Xtreme Elimination Challenge.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think Ultraman and Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot HAD to have had a US releases at some point in the 60s-80s. Ultra 7 (?) had airings on TNT in the 90s and recently Comet TV has been airing Giant Robo's, but in both cases the voice acting style on the dubs feel like they have a real 60s/70s feel to them that I think had to be a product of the time and not just an intentional thing of the 90s/today.

USA's Night Flight had a Power Rangers-type redub in the 80s called "Dynaman", which was done to be a more comedic satire/parody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHO7iDWZvo
(edit 2: I was watching a different Dynaman clip and noticed members of "Kids in the Hall" listed as writers. Wow, I either never paid attention to that or I completely forgot it.)

Also, about 2 years before the US MMPR launch, an Ultraman series which was a Aus/Japan co-production (I think) was aired for a single season. But I don't think a lot of people consider that a true Ultraman series given the cast and the locale of the source material.

As a speculative thing, I think there was talk that TBS back in it's early days as it was getting ready to become a nationwide channel made a lot of deals for airing rights on various things, which might tie into having something like the the mentioned Ultraman 7 series.

edit: Found it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Seven#TPS.2FCinar_English_dub
"In 1985, Turner Program Services licensed the series in a 15-year contract from Tsuburaya Productions, who provided the English dubbed versions produced in Honolulu by Tsuburaya-Hawaii, Inc. in the mid-1970s."

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Oct 26, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What about the opposite, was bonanza huge in Japan?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
In the 90s I remember an article about how the X-Files was popular in Japan when it started airing on TV there. I don't know how much the conspiracy theme of that show leeched into Japanese entertainment and culture, though.
Here's an article from about 20 years ago on the subject:
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960322&slug=2320199

The comment about 90210 in the article reminded me, didn't Cowboy Bebop have a reference to that at one point?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

What about the opposite, was bonanza huge in Japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga4nNSqsYp0

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Many manga artists were mainly influenced by Disney cartoons. Osamu Tezuka certainly was. Akira Toriyama said that he was inspired to become a cartoonist after he saw the Disney animated version of 101 Dalmatians when he was a kid.

I know this because when I was in school I knew this guy who was massively into anime who loved to bloviate about the inherent superiority of the animation of glorious Nippon who got really pissed off when you pointed this out.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Many manga artists were mainly influenced by Disney cartoons. Osamu Tezuka certainly was. Akira Toriyama said that he was inspired to become a cartoonist after he saw the Disney animated version of 101 Dalmatians when he was a kid.

I know this because when I was in school I knew this guy who was massively into anime who loved to bloviate about the inherent superiority of the animation of glorious Nippon who got really pissed off when you pointed this out.

The animation cells are folded 1000 times.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

John Big Booty posted:

Oh, come now. Sandy Frank has been a walking cadaver for at least the last 20 years (woman on the right is his ex-wife, and a former model if you can believe it):

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JediTalentAgent posted:

In the 90s I remember an article about how the X-Files was popular in Japan when it started airing on TV there. I don't know how much the conspiracy theme of that show leeched into Japanese entertainment and culture, though.
Here's an article from about 20 years ago on the subject:
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960322&slug=2320199

The comment about 90210 in the article reminded me, didn't Cowboy Bebop have a reference to that at one point?
Yes, I believe the episode is Speak Like A Child, when Spike and Jet go off to find a tape player* the guy running the vintage electronics shop was watching Totally Not 90210 Do Not Sue and says something about how the old shows are the best.

*first they find a VHS player, but the tape is a BetaMax

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Following this one down the rabbit hole (because I wondered why I had never heard of something this lovely) I went to Wikipedia, then to its one cited source, and it's even weirder than I'd imagined:

quote:

In the end, it's discovered that the top levels of Japanese government have sold out to the Jews that took over America, and having successfully plundered Vietnam and Iraq for the sake of money, these Jews are going to turn Japan into Asia's nuclear waste dump.

Yes. That makes no sense, is patently anti-American, anti-Semitic, ethnocentric, Japanese imperialist, vile, and above all, dumb. But that's okay. The subtitle track on Manga Video's DVD tones this down a bit and the dub does away with it entirely. Us evil Jews Americans would never know the difference!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Oh, come now. Sandy Frank has been a walking cadaver for at least the last 20 years (woman on the right is his ex-wife, and a former model if you can believe it):

Jesus.

I was going to make a joke about Sandy Frank looking like the living embodiment of his own body of work (pieced together haphazardly to give the appearance of a manufactured whole), but I'm not sure if he's a burn victim or not.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Following this one down the rabbit hole (because I wondered why I had never heard of something this lovely) I went to Wikipedia, then to its one cited source, and it's even weirder than I'd imagined:

Angel Cop is horribly antisemitic? I remember watching that years ago via Manga Entertainment and never once caught that. That's insane on its own standards, even if the show itself had some interesting visuals, like the face that appears in the fog only to be revealed as a severed head being held by some monster. That's pretty sad, really.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

USA's Night Flight had a Power Rangers-type redub in the 80s called "Dynaman", which was done to be a more comedic satire/parody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHO7iDWZvo
(edit 2: I was watching a different Dynaman clip and noticed members of "Kids in the Hall" listed as writers. Wow, I either never paid attention to that or I completely forgot it.)

I remember that and its awesome Billy Idol soundtrack. I think I had gotten VHS copies from my high school A/V teacher. Young teenage me loved it. Something tells me it probably wouldn't stand up today though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You guys got me trying to track down a show from the mid 90s now and I'm having no luck.

It was a power rangers esque show with teenagers who fight bad guys in robots(?) and all I remember about it was I saved up to get the combining action figure set and it was no articulation and was super boring. I want to say the legs were formed out of a tank like vehicle that slid over an Ultraman looking guys legs but I could be wrong.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

muscles like this! posted:

The dub talk reminds me of a really weird decision made when Fox got the rights to Escaflowne. They didn't air the first episode and instead started it on the second with just a recap of the first. Which was really stupid since the first episode sets up the entire plot of the show but it didn't have the titular armor so, gently caress it.

It’s not like this is a bad marketing decision limited purely to the U.S. dub industry; Victory Gundam’s original run in Japan got the same treatment. Episode 1 in terms of plot is Episode 4 and it ends on “hey here’s how we got here” and then airs what was supposed to be 1/2/3 as 2/3/4.

It was because as the director had it, the Gundam itself wasn’t going to be in the first episode so that had to change.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Len posted:

You guys got me trying to track down a show from the mid 90s now and I'm having no luck.

It was a power rangers esque show with teenagers who fight bad guys in robots(?) and all I remember about it was I saved up to get the combining action figure set and it was no articulation and was super boring. I want to say the legs were formed out of a tank like vehicle that slid over an Ultraman looking guys legs but I could be wrong.

Superhuman samurai syber squad

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Well I'll be damned, this might be the only japanese animation I have any interest in seeing aside from Akira.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Olympus posted:

It’s not like this is a bad marketing decision limited purely to the U.S. dub industry; Victory Gundam’s original run in Japan got the same treatment. Episode 1 in terms of plot is Episode 4 and it ends on “hey here’s how we got here” and then airs what was supposed to be 1/2/3 as 2/3/4.

It was because as the director had it, the Gundam itself wasn’t going to be in the first episode so that had to change.

There was also the Yu Gi Oh anime which even in Japan cut out the beginning of the story to get right to the part where he plays fake MTG. This means it completely glosses over the whole thing about Yugi getting possessed by ancient Egyptian king who straight up ironic revenge stuff to bad people.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Len posted:

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Superhuman samurai syber squad

Seconded. I've got the toys.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Angel Cop is horribly antisemitic? I remember watching that years ago via Manga Entertainment and never once caught that. That's insane on its own standards, even if the show itself had some interesting visuals, like the face that appears in the fog only to be revealed as a severed head being held by some monster. That's pretty sad, really.

The English translation removed the anti semitism because there was NO way itd fly here where its a huge sore spot. In the original Japanese version its literally "The Jews are behind this". Not even like a Jewish analogue, literally "The Jews did this".

I cant say for certain if the author is an antisemite but im leaning towards probably not. Just lack of cultural diversity.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
There are times where I've noticed for a non-Western culture, some Japanese media will be extremely exact and obscure on a piece of Western culture when referencing it.

It reminds me of a pulp SF writer named Cyril Kornbluth who wiki describes in this way:

"Kornbluth, for example, decided to educate himself by reading his way through an entire encyclopedia from A to Z; in the course of this effort, he acquired a great deal of esoteric knowledge that found its way into his stories, in alphabetical order by subject. When Kornbluth wrote a story that mentioned the ballista, an Ancient Roman weapon, Pohl knew that Kornbluth had finished the A's and had started on the B's."

It might be something as simple as the Angel Cop creators doing something similar. They need a conspiracy theory, here's one, write these guys as the bad guys because communists, nazis, the US, USSR, etc. are played out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokAngel posted:

The English translation removed the anti semitism because there was NO way itd fly here where its a huge sore spot. In the original Japanese version its literally "The Jews are behind this". Not even like a Jewish analogue, literally "The Jews did this".

I cant say for certain if the author is an antisemite but im leaning towards probably not. Just lack of cultural diversity.

No, Sho Aikawa is completely loving nuts even by Japanese standards and has written a bunch of other incredibly bonkers, weirdly right-wing poo poo. The 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist series was his baby too, and that goes in a... relatedly weird direction that I don't wanna spoil for those who haven't seen it (it's a legit cool idea in a vacuum).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No, Sho Aikawa is completely loving nuts even by Japanese standards and has written a bunch of other incredibly bonkers, weirdly right-wing poo poo. The 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist series was his baby too, and that goes in a... relatedly weird direction that I don't wanna spoil for those who haven't seen it (it's a legit cool idea in a vacuum).

Oh dear. That's uncomfortable.